We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yeah you gotta love the people who don't post here until the Flames lose and then come here to say they are not a playoff team.....

Forum is so much busier after a loss or a poor effort than a win. Sad. 

That is frustrating, yes.    But, I've posted concerns about being a bubble team after a win, and it generated a flurry of angry replies as well from the rose colored glasses crowd.

I was happy to cheer this team no matter how far they dropped in the rebuild.  Others insisted that they still "perform" to some level.   They got their wish, and the resulting mediocre results, and the resulting 50/50 dissapointments this season and for seasons to come.   

We are a bubble team.

Do we make the playoffs?  Do we not make the playoffs?

Who cares, if odds are against us right from the first round?

Some of us expected more after a rebuild, and were willing to accept more pain to get it.  The sad truth is if they cant find a way to pop the bubble status, we're essentially on hold and waiting for the next rebuild.    Like we were from 2006-2012 (six year wait).

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That is frustrating, yes.    But, I've posted concerns about being a bubble team after a win, and it generated a flurry of angry replies as well from the rose colored glasses crowd.

I was happy to cheer this team no matter how far they dropped in the rebuild.  Others insisted that they still "perform" to some level.   They got their wish, and the resulting mediocre results, and the resulting 50/50 dissapointments this season and for seasons to come.   

We are a bubble team.

Do we make the playoffs?  Do we not make the playoffs?

Who cares, if odds are against us right from the first round?

Some of us expected more after a rebuild, and were willing to accept more pain to get it.  The sad truth is if they cant find a way to pop the bubble status, we're essentially on hold and waiting for the next rebuild.    Like we were from 2006-2012 (six year wait).

That wasn't in reference to you at all. 

All I would say to this is you have to crawl before you can walk. I do think making the playoffs is an important step for a team to becoming a contender so I do think it matters if you can make the playoffs regardless of how far you go. Winning is a habit that is developed. I don't think any team that rebuilt, regardless of how you think they did, was a contender over night. 

That and by no means is this Flames team a finished product. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Yeah you gotta love the people who don't post here until the Flames lose and then come here to say they are not a playoff team.....

Forum is so much busier after a loss or a poor effort than a win. Sad. 

I've made  about 20 posts so far, and about 12 of them have been hookinging about the team, so you're right, unfortunately that's human nature.

Each individual has their own idea about how to fix the team and they feel the need to share that.

Being mad is also a stronger emotion than being content, and no one in this game is "happy" unless you win the cup or see progress therefore making anger and lack of patience easier to vocalize.

8 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I've made  about 20 posts so far, and about 12 of them have been hookinging about the team, so you're right, unfortunately that's human nature.

Each individual has their own idea about how to fix the team and they feel the need to share that.

Being mad is also a stronger emotion than being content, and no one in this game is "happy" unless you win the cup or see progress therefore making anger and lack of patience easier to vocalize.

For sure, Don't get me wrong i'm fine with people being mad and you'll find plenty of posts here from me that are negative.

I guess I have an issue with people that ONLY come her when they lose and are ONLY negative. Just sad, that's all. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

For sure, Don't get me wrong i'm fine with people being mad and you'll find plenty of posts here from me that are negative.

I guess I have an issue with people that ONLY come her when they lose and are ONLY negative. Just sad, that's all. 

I agree. My problem mostly is that everyone is viewing a little bit of inconsistency as us not being a playoff team. I guarantee in the room, they are not freaking out after last night, so I don't see why fans continuously are getting on GG's case after a loss and after a win there is a list of reasons why we won other then coaching.  I think the flames have improved leaps and bounds, just lacking consistency, which will come. Ive said it from the get go, we will be a bubble team this year, probably getting a wild card spot and that's not a bad thing. This team will only get better the longer the coachs are around, and the players get comfortable.

As of now we are in the playoffs. How deep we go depends on many things (some that can & some that can't be controlled).

All the Flames can do is give their best while management tries to give them the best chance be it via trades or whatever. Regardless I'll be hoping for the best until there is no reason to yell myself hoarse.

Worst case scenario the youth find out how hard it is to win in the 2nd season when every game has meaning. You can talk about it but experiencing it is a whole different animal. Never assume you can dial up your game with all the money on the table as the other team is just as capable or they wouldn't be the 1s giving you that stare.

There's a reason that the SC is the hardest (& must satisfying) championship to win.

7 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree. My problem mostly is that everyone is viewing a little bit of inconsistency as us not being a playoff team. I guarantee in the room, they are not freaking out after last night, so I don't see why fans continuously are getting on GG's case after a loss and after a win there is a list of reasons why we won other then coaching.  I think the flames have improved leaps and bounds, just lacking consistency, which will come. Ive said it from the get go, we will be a bubble team this year, probably getting a wild card spot and that's not a bad thing. This team will only get better the longer the coachs are around, and the players get comfortable.

I don't see it as a little inconsistency though. I don't think they've been playing as good as some say. I thought they were, but then, you can't lose 3 in a row, then 4 out of 5 and expect to make the playoffs. And go on a, every other game streak and make it. The idea that they can't get up for an important game against a team that you're trying to hold off is troubling. Most of the wins lately have all been against teams NOT in the playoffs. That's scary. You have to win those games, yes, but you have to win games against teams above or fighting you for a spot as well. It is the same with the game against the Oilers. It wasn't really good.

I don't know if the Flames are a playoff team this year.  It is going to be tough and will probably come down to the last few games.

One positive I see is that the Flames are in the playoff picture with minimal contributions from their first liners.  Gaudreau and Monahan are both struggling.  If they can get back on track I like the team's chances for next year.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Worst outcome tonight. The Preds just jumped us in the standings. They still have games in hand. There goes the, you still have to win those games theory, especially when they win against you in a proverbial 4 point game. 

No worries.  The division games are more critical.  The fact that EDM lost is key.  They expended a lot of energy just for the single point.  As well. the win was a shootout, which has a big part to play when the final standings come out.   

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't see it as a little inconsistency though. I don't think they've been playing as good as some say. I thought they were, but then, you can't lose 3 in a row, then 4 out of 5 and expect to make the playoffs. And go on a, every other game streak and make it. The idea that they can't get up for an important game against a team that you're trying to hold off is troubling. Most of the wins lately have all been against teams NOT in the playoffs. That's scary. You have to win those games, yes, but you have to win games against teams above or fighting you for a spot as well. It is the same with the game against the Oilers. It wasn't really good.

The team is playing well, I think they are much improved. I dont think its a problem for gettign up for teams, the predators didnt really generate a whole lot that game, they were just more opportunistic and scored on what they got.  What was wrong with the game against the oilers? Just because you dont win a hockey game doesnt mean you are playing horribly. 

15 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I don't know if the Flames are a playoff team this year.  It is going to be tough and will probably come down to the last few games.

One positive I see is that the Flames are in the playoff picture with minimal contributions from their first liners.  Gaudreau and Monahan are both struggling.  If they can get back on track I like the team's chances for next year.

I think we had better get a few games up going into the final few seasons games.  Look at our final 4 games

4a42f3e5e96144701c8922153246000a.png

If we are looking to need a few points to make the playoffs this year, this will be a tough go for us.

We can't afford another losing streak this season. We need to put in better efforts now.

We need the goalies to both start to play tough and we need to find some scoring.. SOON.

We are playing better than all the teams below us with the exception of Vancouver who are surprisingly playing very well and only 1 point behind us with a game at hand.

571a265223d80a30941058e216879e0d.png

39 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We can't afford another losing streak this season. We need to put in better efforts now.

We need the goalies to both start to play tough and we need to find some scoring.. SOON.

We are playing better than all the teams below us with the exception of Vancouver who are surprisingly playing very well and only 1 point behind us with a game at hand.

Van will probably drop now that Hedin got his 1,000th point lol.

I think we've been way too low key with Elliott, almost like conserving him maybe??

The NHL gets awfully amped up pretty soon about now, and Elliott's been there???

Is that maybe a thing?

Just surmising, or putting on the rainbow glasses lol.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Van will probably drop now that Hedin got his 1,000th point lol.

I think we've been way too low key with Elliott, almost like conserving him maybe??

The NHL gets awfully amped up pretty soon about now, and Elliott's been there???

Is that maybe a thing?

Just surmising, or putting on the rainbow glasses lol.

Gully said awhile back that he wanted to get Johnson back in, to keep him fresh.  He said that he needed to do that with both.  What it looks like is that he or Sigalet has more faith in Johnson.  Elliott does a decent job of keeping the Oilers off the board and gets to sit for an entire week before taking over today.  CJ never should have started tonight or against the Preds.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Gully said awhile back that he wanted to get Johnson back in, to keep him fresh.  He said that he needed to do that with both.  What it looks like is that he or Sigalet has more faith in Johnson.  Elliott does a decent job of keeping the Oilers off the board and gets to sit for an entire week before taking over today.  CJ never should have started tonight or against the Preds.

CJ was 16-10, Elliott was 8-11 prior to tonight.  CJ has the better SA% by far.  Elliott had lost all 3 to the Coiler this season.  CJ has played the harder competition this season, it was a no brainer to start CJ.  What is the issue here? 

e7c3b6e0913f36c823ca2994658beeaa.png

That was not a good segment, we need to be picking up more than 5 pts out of 14.  I’m still holding the playoff bar at 95 pts even though something less may work.  Presently 5.8 pts off target.  Next segment brings TOR, MTL, OTT, NJD, NYR, PIT on the road then MIN at Home.  One might ask, where are the pts in the next segment going to come from? 

I think that the problem was, they decided to give Elliott a string of games and took Johnson's rhythm away. I really don't think you can run two goalies because if they're both going good, you can only play one and then you get the other out of what was making them successful. 

9 hours ago, CheersMan said:

CJ was 16-10, Elliott was 8-11 prior to tonight.  CJ has the better SA% by far.  Elliott had lost all 3 to the Coiler this season.  CJ has played the harder competition this season, it was a no brainer to start CJ.  What is the issue here? 

The issue away from stats is that a coach needs to recognize when a goalie isn't as sharp as he was 3 weeks ago. This is the issue.

You have a very experienced goalie in Elliott use him when you sense Johnson's performances have lacked the concentration required.

Archived