We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I may be seeing things that aren't there, but EDM has looked like a one line team for the last month or so.  McDavid is the only reason that they are even close to a playoff spot.  Talbot has kept them in games they should have lost, but McDavid has added enough points on the board to get the win.  They have gotten a good share of PP chances and usually core on at least one per game.  Again, mostly McDavid.  If he has a dry spell for any length of time they will quickly drop.  

I think they are a candidate to drop off and it won't shock me if they fall off a ledge.  But your underestimating them a bit.  Draisaitl has come into his own, they have a respectable D core, they are getting decent goal tending, and they have a decent compliment of scorers.  They are definitely a team that relies too much on McDavid, but he is the best player in the league (yuck) and barring an injury I don't see him letting them down.  My money is they crater in the playoffs, but that they make them.  That said, I am hoping for the cliff.  

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I may be seeing things that aren't there, but EDM has looked like a one line team for the last month or so.  McDavid is the only reason that they are even close to a playoff spot.  Talbot has kept them in games they should have lost, but McDavid has added enough points on the board to get the win.  They have gotten a good share of PP chances and usually core on at least one per game.  Again, mostly McDavid.  If he has a dry spell for any length of time they will quickly drop.  

Ya man.  

When you look at the Flames during their poor start (first 20 games), it was the star players letting us down.  Had Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Giordano, and Brodie been on fire to start the season and the Flames were sitting 28th in the NHL by game 20, then the season is done.  We would be in a position where we would have had to ask our depth guys to step up and that's asking too much of them. Luckily, we were dominant 5 on 5, our depth guys were going strong, and we discovered Chad Johnson to give us reliable goaltending.

With the depth players doing well 5 on 5 and holding the team together, all we needed was our star players to be "decent" and that's exactly what happened.  Now, we see Gaudreau back playing well.  Monahan is scoring.  Giordano and Hamilton are scoring.  Even Bennett has had timely goals.  Only Brodie is not scoring which means the Flames may still have some untapped potential to the season yet.

But going back to the Oilers though, they are the opposite.  Their stars are producing at max levels and the team is stalling.  They are in a position where they need Pouliot, Letestu, Maroon, Kassian, and Russell to step up.  That's asking too much of them.  If their stars go cold for a week, then the team is going to slide for a week.  There is really no foundation for the Oilers to rely on whereas the Flames did.  Not saying the Oilers are bound to slide out of the playoff picture but the Flames can definitely win games without their stars whereas the Oilers cannot.

15 hours ago, kehatch said:

I think they are a candidate to drop off and it won't shock me if they fall off a ledge.  But your underestimating them a bit.  Draisaitl has come into his own, they have a respectable D core, they are getting decent goal tending, and they have a decent compliment of scorers.  They are definitely a team that relies too much on McDavid, but he is the best player in the league (yuck) and barring an injury I don't see him letting them down.  My money is they crater in the playoffs, but that they make them.  That said, I am hoping for the cliff.  

Draisaitl, Eberle and Lucic are all inconsistent.  Draisaitl went through a long stretch of zero points. Eberle gets a bunch in a game, then nothing for a few games.  Same with Lucic.

The problem is that McDavid can't provide all the offense, and without him putting up points, they do not win games.  They had an easy schedule this last few weeks, but they are still mailing it in at times.  When they get into the tougher part of the schedule, they will need to bear down.  They made hay early on, and that's the only reason why they are still in the picture.

Those last 3 losses out of 4 games really hurts. We had a small cushion on the wildcard spot, but we've sort of lost it. I know some others don't take the games in hand thing too mean much... I am lazy to do the winning %. 

Is this going to be like last year? Tease us with good play and then drop? They (fan969 guys) say last year that they tired themselves out getting back into the race, is that what is happening now?

did GG Take the foot off the gas too soon by cancelling practice to rest guys? Rest is good, but do you mess with routines that work?

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Those last 3 losses out of 4 games really hurts. We had a sm

all cushion on the wildcard spot, but we've sort of lost it. I know some others don't take the games in hand thing too mean much... I am lazy to do the winning %. 

Is this going to be like last year? Tease us with good play and then drop? They (fan969 guys) say last year that they tired themselves out getting back into the race, is that what is happening now?

did GG Take the foot off the gas too soon by cancelling practice to rest guys? Rest is good, but do you mess with routines that work?

I don't know, there was a period there where we had played more games than most with a hectic schedule, rest is required at times. I see where these back to back game almost always work against the visiting team losing in these back to backs. Wonder what the stat is exactly ? they track everything else. LOL

I still think the team is playing good hockey and should be good provided they keep focused.

I have zero problem with those days off and I actually felt that was a great move on Gulutzan's part. You don't get those opportunities very often and I already think the NHL schedule is too much as it is so if you can get an extra rest day here or there i'm all for taking it. Players should have responded better IMO becuase their coach did them a big favor. 

I hate to say it, but this team is starting to remind me of last year. Really the Flames have not played well IMO since the Anaheim game especially 5 on 5. As soon as they reach their peak and feel like they've "got it" they start to take their foot off the gas and relax. Now you have guys in the wrong place in breakouts, no communication in the D zone so pepole are being left open and an overal lack of intensityfor 60 mins. I think this team has yet to learn that they are not good enough to get away with winning when they don't execute and don't compete and that is quite troubling to see 2 years in a row. I get some will respond "this is a young team" but their core has been around long enough to know that you don't get to take nights and periods off and win games in his league. 

they played solid hockey for a good 3 weeks and rode that into a winning streak that got propped up at the end by goaltending that I don't thnk you can bank on all year. Now they are being propped up by speical teams but that isn't good enough when your 5 on 5 game is tarting to crater, not to mention you can't realistically beleive a 40% PP will continue either. I don't wany to overact but I do belive the next 2 weeks or so are going to be this team's season. Their next 8 games are Van-Col-Ana- Ari- Col- Van-Van and WPG. If they can't win at least 5 of those game and turn this around they are likely done in terms of having any success this year. 

In the last 15 games the Flames are a bottom 10 team in 5 on5  for the following: Corsi F%, Shots against, Scoring Chances against, Scoring ChancesF% and high danger chances F%. It's a small sample size but when they includes the end of a win streak, that is VERY concerining stuff. 

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have zero problem with those days off and I actually felt that was a great move on Gulutzan's part. You don't get those opportunities very often and I already think the NHL schedule is too much as it is so if you can get an extra rest day here or there i'm all for taking it. Players should have responded better IMO becuase their coach did them a big favor. 

I hate to say it, but this team is starting to remind me of last year. Really the Flames have not played well IMO since the Anaheim game especially 5 on 5. As soon as they reach their peak and feel like they've "got it" they start to take their foot off the gas and relax. Now you have guys in the wrong place in breakouts, no communication in the D zone so pepole are being left open and an overal lack of intensityfor 60 mins. I think this team has yet to learn that they are not good enough to get away with winning when they don't execute and don't compete and that is quite troubling to see 2 years in a row. I get some will respond "this is a young team" but their core has been around long enough to know that you don't get to take nights and periods off and win games in his league. 

they played solid hockey for a good 3 weeks and rode that into a winning streak that got propped up at the end by goaltending that I don't thnk you can bank on all year. Now they are being propped up by speical teams but that isn't good enough when your 5 on 5 game is tarting to crater, not to mention you can't realistically beleive a 40% PP will continue either. I don't wany to overact but I do belive the next 2 weeks or so are going to be this team's season. Their next 8 games are Van-Col-Ana- Ari- Col- Van-Van and WPG. If they can't win at least 5 of those game and turn this around they are likely done in terms of having any success this year. 

In the last 15 games the Flames are a bottom 10 team in 5 on5  for the following: Corsi F%, Shots against, Scoring Chances against, Scoring ChancesF% and high danger chances F%. It's a small sample size but when they includes the end of a win streak, that is VERY concerining stuff. 

Yes there have been some relapses occurring in their play. I notice Wideman back to his running all over the defensive zone again in last nights game which causes everyone to be out of position. I agree if they don't stick to each player doing what they do well within their own system good team such as SJ will make them look bad like last night. Let's hope the chalk talk does its job going into tis run of games.

Right now some days we look like world beaters but others like a team playing for 1st pick in the draft (same as the Jets).

There is a huge need for consistency!

The win streak was great but following up with 2 losses, a win over lowly Arizona & then getting butt kicked by the Sharks takes the shine off.

Unless there is drastic improvement we look ready for a season of being on the perimeter with a small chance of playoffs in a pretty weak division (& yes, I do expect the Central to take both wild card spots again especially after Nill trades for a goalie).

---------------------------------------------

As an aside I'll add I read 2 Vancouver papers today for their side on a Canucks win over the Jets last night. Even after a win there was such a sense of hopelessness it was sad.

At least in Calgary & Winnipeg there is hope & @ worst a sense of future. The fatalistic tone of those articles shows neither.

49 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Right now some days we look like world beaters but others like a team playing for 1st pick in the draft (same as the Jets).

There is a huge need for consistency!

The win streak was great but following up with 2 losses, a win over lowly Arizona & then getting butt kicked by the Sharks takes the shine off.

Unless there is drastic improvement we look ready for a season of being on the perimeter with a small chance of playoffs in a pretty weak division (& yes, I do expect the Central to take both wild card spots again especially after Nill trades for a goalie).

---------------------------------------------

As an aside I'll add I read 2 Vancouver papers today for their side on a Canucks win over the Jets last night. Even after a win there was such a sense of hopelessness it was sad.

At least in Calgary & Winnipeg there is hope & @ worst a sense of future. The fatalistic tone of those articles shows neither.

I actually thought the Jets were doing better than they are but they do have some good talent. Vancouver has always been a crybaby fanbase, maybe they feel Benning is going about their rebuild all wrong. Edmonton is excited about their changes and new building so they are jacked. Here in Calgary the team has always enjoyed good support, slow start, some recent success and some stumbles, another year of building and shedding in the offseason.

Woudln't talk down too much on Vancouver. If you rewind to 2011/2012, the Flames, flames fans and Calgary media were all basicially saying the same thing and acting the same way.

It's painfull whenever who watches the teams knows you have to rebuild but the team itself thinks they don't. Same thing Flames went through and media toasted them for it (for the most part). 

Things are better here now becuase the team just won 7 games in a row and got themsvles back in a playoff spot. Going to change in a hurry if they don't get their game turned around soon. If they are below .500 for the next 3 weeks you are going to see a pretty negative tone in the media and on these boards. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Woudln't talk down too much on Vancouver. If you rewind to 2011/2012, the Flames, flames fans and Calgary media were all basicially saying the same thing and acting the same way.

It's painfull whenever who watches the teams knows you have to rebuild but the team itself thinks they don't. Same thing Flames went through and media toasted them for it (for the most part). 

Things are better here now becuase the team just won 7 games in a row and got themsvles back in a playoff spot. Going to change in a hurry if they don't get their game turned around soon. If they are below .500 for the next 3 weeks you are going to see a pretty negative tone in the media and on these boards. 

Tough to build around the Sedins when they are past their prime and no one else really wants them. They have to wait out a few situations just like we have been.

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

We still have critical eyes on the flames. To others it would look like whining. It's fandom. 

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We still have critical eyes on the flames. To others it would look like whining. It's fandom. 

Some understand what "growing pains" are as necessary phases a team must go through in order to get better. Others are the fans that relate to the team only as winners or losers.

A game late with this as our last game vs VAN started a new segment.  We’ve gotten back on the right track by winning the last two 7-game segments, however still 4.5 pts behind target.  The math says a 90 pt season for playoffs but I’m still holding it at 95 pts which gives us some leeway should a team lower in the standing buck the trend and go on a winning streak.  Next segment includes VAN 3 times, COL twice, plus ARI and ANA at home.  There should be some points there helping us close the gap even further.

e3fd0c3c5c590dad2a58ce902bb1dde3.png

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This team needs to get a backbone if it is ever going to go anywhere. What a gutless display not sticking up for each other. Backlund was the only one trying to stand up to anyone on ANA. Pathetic.

Pardon?

Flames took 2 penalties sticking up for one another and probably should have taken a 3rd with Bouma. sure no one dropped the gloves but that's basicaly been legislated out of the game anyway. I thought the Flames did a nice job sticking up for one another. Have the penalties to show for it. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pardon?

Flames took 2 penalties sticking up for one another and probably should have taken a 3rd with Bouma. sure no one dropped the gloves but that's basicaly been legislated out of the game anyway. I thought the Flames did a nice job sticking up for one another. Have the penalties to show for it. 

Bout sums up the game, the refs dont make the calls, and the flames try to stick up for each other only getting penalties. Those penalties plus the 2 on 0 that we didnt score on really didnt help our cause tonight.

I get what Mac is saying. I think that the timing could've been better. With Other teams the player would be mauled at the very moment say, Gaudreau gets hacked and hit. Instead it seems like love where they're hugging the guy. 

Other times. They did stick up for them, Anaheim did a good job of walking away. 

But dor me, I still don't see enough bite at the end of plays in front of our own net where there seems to be a leniency in roughing an opponent just after whistles. Like the shots Lindholm gave to the head of one of our guys. Or intirial crosschecks to arms ala Kesler style. When we do it it looks soft.

Plus that Ferland rough wasn't  bad, it was just taking a player off to clean up the mess. 

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pardon?

You have a much different view of sticking up for one another than I do. Like you said they did a "nice" job.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I get what Mac is saying. I think that the timing could've been better. With Other teams the player would be mauled at the very moment say, Gaudreau gets hacked and hit. Instead it seems like love where they're hugging the guy. 

Other times. They did stick up for them, Anaheim did a good job of walking away. 

But dor me, I still don't see enough bite at the end of plays in front of our own net where there seems to be a leniency in roughing an opponent just after whistles. Like the shots Lindholm gave to the head of one of our guys. Or intirial crosschecks to arms ala Kesler style. When we do it it looks soft.

Plus that Ferland rough wasn't  bad, it was just taking a player off to clean up the mess. 

First off it was one of worst officiated games so far this season. ANA was getting away with so much crap it was sickening. Kesler should have been taken out by a few of guys not named Backlund by the 2nd period. I'm done ranting but this team needs to get a backbone.

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Id love for the flames to be more aggressive about their approach but the thing we have to realize is even with the approach the flames took what 3 penalties last night sticking up for each other? and we want them to get more aggressive, my word we will be on the pk the entire game if thats the case with the way the refs do their job these days. 

While I agree with cross, saying people are complaining about the refs myself included I dont see how you cant when kesler is getting away with murder and ferland gets a penalty for hugging a guy.

37 minutes ago, Carty said:

Getzlaf does this to rescue Kesler, and no call...   But when Ferland pulls the rat-face Kesler away from his team mate he goes to the box...

49380a3011a3d895e5a8434a68fc7c5e.png

This is the one that pissed me off the most (aside from fighting the urge to 2-hand Kesler across the face a couple of times).  Even Kelly Hrudy was amazed that Ferland got called for the same thing Getzlaf didn't

2 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

This is the one that pissed me off the most (aside from fighting the urge to 2-hand Kesler across the face a couple of times).  Even Kelly Hrudy was amazed that Ferland got called for the same thing Getzlaf didn't

Very one-sided officiating last night and watching Kesler mug everyone at the faceoff circle made me want to puke. He does that cross check across mid bicep where it is bone and hurts like hell, ask Hudler. Our guys should give it back to him every chance they get next game, see how he likes it.

Archived