We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travel,

i just hope the trend in the last 12-13 games is becoming the norm and the expectation is to continue it. 

.500 is definitely not playoff hockey. We have to keep winning more than we lose sonit continues to pressure other teams with games in hand on us to win those games. In the end that pressure can work for or against them. That's the only way we can control our fate. I would prefer a 4-2-1 record in 7 game segments the rest of the way.  That would get us approximately 97points.  

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Travel,

i just hope the trend in the last 12-13 games is becoming the norm and the expectation is to continue it. 

.500 is definitely not playoff hockey. We have to keep winning more than we lose sonit continues to pressure other teams with games in hand on us to win those games. In the end that pressure can work for or against them. That's the only way we can control our fate. I would prefer a 4-2-1 record in 7 game segments the rest of the way.  That would get us approximately 97points.  

9-3-1 in the last 12 is awesome.  It may be a lot to ask to have another 3 wins in a row, but we need to maintain the win pace you refer to here.  9 or 10 points out of 14.  I think we can start looking at the win% and use that to track for now.  We are over 500 (.513 I think), so that is ok for now.  It should be trending up. 

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

9-3-1 in the last 12 is awesome.  It may be a lot to ask to have another 3 wins in a row, but we need to maintain the win pace you refer to here.  9 or 10 points out of 14.  I think we can start looking at the win% and use that to track for now.  We are over 500 (.513 I think), so that is ok for now.  It should be trending up. 

Something that is different this year than last is, GG has faith and trust in the 4th line and can use them in any situation. We are looking deeper overall when the lines are spread out well. 

For me, even though Johnson had an ok game last night, I would go with Elliott to keep Johnson fresh. I understand others might say ride Johnson while he is winning, but last night there were a few times where I thought his mind started to wander. 

He still played well, I just think giving occasional rests in spite of being on a streak isn't a bad thing in the overall picture, the long term goal. GG can always go back to Johnson after that. Playing Elliott also gets him some action too, so he isn't sitting too much. 

Others wont agree and i get that.

23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Something that is different this year than last is, GG has faith and trust in the 4th line and can use them in any situation. We are looking deeper overall when the lines are spread out well. 

For me, even though Johnson had an ok game last night, I would go with Elliott to keep Johnson fresh. I understand others might say ride Johnson while he is winning, but last night there were a few times where I thought his mind started to wander. 

He still played well, I just think giving occasional rests in spite of being on a streak isn't a bad thing in the overall picture, the long term goal. GG can always go back to Johnson after that. Playing Elliott also gets him some action too, so he isn't sitting too much. 

Others wont agree and i get that.

There is a critical mass when it comes to playing a goalie, I agree.  Johnson was great for 95% of the game, but had a few off-kilter plays.  The difficulty with switching up a goalie is that the Flames are still a fragile team.  When GG has made a change after winning a game, it usually results in a loss.  This week, we have games Thursday and Saturday, but nothing after that until next Wednesday.  The first two are winnable.  ARI is the stink of the league right now, except for Smith.  WPG is a bunch of penalties waiting to happen.  Changing goalies for those two games means changing the dynamic when we have gotten just above 500 hockey.

I would start Elliott against TBL next week.  Johnson is still dialed in, but after 3 days off in a row he will be almost as cold as Elliott.  It's time this team starts winning for the goalie.  Elliott has mostly given them a chance until they start letting him swing in the breeze.  It's not like he has been Hiller bad.  Besides, if we start him next week, he will be ready for the B2B the following week.

I agree that Pheonix would be a good game to start Elliot. He played solid in his last start and I mean if you need your starting goalie in order to play well against Pheonix, you've got issues....

I would start Elliott too. Think its a good place to do so. 

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There is a critical mass when it comes to playing a goalie, I agree.  Johnson was great for 95% of the game, but had a few off-kilter plays.  The difficulty with switching up a goalie is that the Flames are still a fragile team.  When GG has made a change after winning a game, it usually results in a loss.  This week, we have games Thursday and Saturday, but nothing after that until next Wednesday.  The first two are winnable.  ARI is the stink of the league right now, except for Smith.  WPG is a bunch of penalties waiting to happen.  Changing goalies for those two games means changing the dynamic when we have gotten just above 500 hockey.

I would start Elliott against TBL next week.  Johnson is still dialed in, but after 3 days off in a row he will be almost as cold as Elliott.  It's time this team starts winning for the goalie.  Elliott has mostly given them a chance until they start letting him swing in the breeze.  It's not like he has been Hiller bad.  Besides, if we start him next week, he will be ready for the B2B the following week.

I don't really know if they're super fragile right now. They're sort of playing the systems well now. 

The players could also fall into overconfidence or ease off due to the win streak. I almost think that switching it up could focus them in and continue the streak. 

I get what youre saying too.

Cross made good points as well that Arizona was a good place to switch it up because it is a very winnable game. 

At the the same time, you can't count chickens before they hatch...

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't really know if they're super fragile right now. They're sort of playing the systems well now. 

The players could also fall into overconfidence or ease off due to the win streak. I almost think that switching it up could focus them in and continue the streak. 

I get what youre saying too.

Cross made good points as well that Arizona was a good place to switch it up because it is a very winnable game. 

At the the same time, you can't count chickens before they hatch...

ARI is desperate.  Their losing streak is longer than our winning streak.  

I said they were fragile because a soft goal might deflate them.  Johnson was able to save their bacon against the Ducks early on.  It allowed the team to roll.  Had they scored to go 2-1, it may have been a different game.  As far as switching for Elliott now or some other time, it has to be done.  You want him to make his case for #1 too, or in other words play his butt off.  

Last game against the Yotes, Johnson won only letting is 1 goal.  In pre-season, Johnson played against WPG and let in 3 out of 6 shots.  Based on those two knowns, I would likely start Johnson for ARI and Elliott for WPG, or Johnson for both.  WPG was a pre-season game with a mixed D lineup, so I could give Johnson the benefit of the doubt.

Right now, from our division, if San Jose wins just one of their 3 games in hand, they knock us down to a WildCard spot. LA has 4 games in hand. Would they win them all? 

If LA also leap frogs us, then we have to contend with Nashville for the final wild card spot. They also have 4 games in hand and have 28 points. They have to win 3 of 4 to tie us and they'd have to get at least 1 more point in those 4 games to jump over us. As of tonight, we're sitting nice to at least have that last wild card spot. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 1.20.54 AM.png

Actually, if you use point percentage we are sitting out of the playoffs.  But the point is we are in the mix.  As it stands right now it looks like Columbus, Chicago, Minesota, Anaheim, and San Jose are going to make it (barring a big collapse).  It also looks like Dallas, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Colorado, and Arizona are out.  

That puts us against Edmonton, STL, LA, and Nashville for one of the Pacific spots the two wild cards.  

The important info is that we have got ourselves back in the mix and have a chance.  We still need to move up though and another sustained flop will move us out of contention.  

7ffVkL0.jpg

I have a feeling we lose the next game tomorrow. We play Tampa at home, but start at 4:30. The game is too early and the rhythm and pregame rituals get all screwed up. The mindset is going to be altered. The favour is in Tampa's corner because they usually play at that game time. 

I might be overanalyzing it, but I never liked those early start times. It is hard to get the legs going. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I have a feeling we lose the next game tomorrow. We play Tampa at home, but start at 4:30. The game is too early and the rhythm and pregame rituals get all screwed up. The mindset is going to be altered. The favour is in Tampa's corner because they usually play at that game time. 

I might be overanalyzing it, but I never liked those early start times. It is hard to get the legs going. 

Where are you getting 4:30? Every sport site I've checked (4) including the Flames page says it starts 7:30 Mountain Time.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202016-12

Simple mathematical projection indicates a 90 pt wild card cut-off in the Western Conference.

Given games-in-hand, this is the position the Flames occupy.

We will need to maintain a 0549 point %age (28-22-1), Shouldn't be a problem!

A few opinionated observations....

It took a while but the Nucks true colours have emerged and they look like a bottom feeder.

The Oil, while ahead of us mathematically, are teetering & if the trash talkers get into McWhiner's head they could go down.

The Leafs are an enigma. I would think supercoach Mike Babcock would be able to take a lower-tier team with an abundance of young talent and at least give them a solid chance at a wild card shot. Obviously Babcock is vastly overrated & he was spoiled with a Red Wing team and an Olympic squad that had an abundance of talent.

I was hoping to explain the Eastern Conference superiority in the standings with parity in the West but it appears the upper-echelon teams in the East have been feasting on the West & not vice-versa. Hoping this will even out although it is currently helping set the bar lower for a wild card spot for the Flames.

NHL Vs. Division Standings - 2016-17 - espn.com

57 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202016-12

Simple mathematical projection indicates a 90 pt wild card cut-off in the Western Conference.

Given games-in-hand, this is the position the Flames occupy.

We will need to maintain a 0549 point %age (28-22-1), Shouldn't be a problem!

A few opinionated observations....

It took a while but the Nucks true colours have emerged and they look like a bottom feeder.

The Oil, while ahead of us mathematically, are teetering & if the trash talkers get into McWhiner's head they could go down.

The Leafs are an enigma. I would think supercoach Mike Babcock would be able to take a lower-tier team with an abundance of young talent and at least give them a solid chance at a wild card shot. Obviously Babcock is vastly overrated & he was spoiled with a Red Wing team and an Olympic squad that had an abundance of talent.

I was hoping to explain the Eastern Conference superiority in the standings with parity in the West but it appears the upper-echelon teams in the East have been feasting on the West & not vice-versa. Hoping this will even out although it is currently helping set the bar lower for a wild card spot for the Flames.

NHL Vs. Division Standings - 2016-17 - espn.com

Yeaaa.  Pyro and the Py charts.  See if you can fudge the numbers a bit and bring down EDM's number a bit.  Actually it's funny that they have played the same # of games as us and project that much higher. That with a putrid stretch of games.  The math is fine but it doesn't shows the impact of a recent losing streak.

I'm happy to be hitting s good stretch, while the Oilers required Laine to get them a win. 

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But I hope our streak doesn't mean that we will go on another streak, but going the other way... Losing. 

This will be key. While everyone blames the slow start last year for the demise of the Flames I don't agree with that. Flames got themselves back into a playoff spot in January but then prompty went 4-6-1 in January and 5-8-1 in Feburary and they were done. That is why can't happen.

This streak obviously won't last and I do think they are going to be regressing pretty quick here. Don't think they will win at a division contender level but I think there is enough in their game to at least stay arond the .500 mark. How much over or udner that is to be determined for me. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This will be key. While everyone blames the slow start last year for the demise of the Flames I don't agree with that. Flames got themselves back into a playoff spot in January but then prompty went 4-6-1 in January and 5-8-1 in Feburary and they were done. That is why can't happen.

This streak obviously won't last and I do think they are going to be regressing pretty quick here. Don't think they will win at a division contender level but I think there is enough in their game to at least stay arond the .500 mark. How much over or udner that is to be determined for me. 

The difference between the Flames of this season and the one of the last two seasons is big.  The last two seasons we reeked of a team about to regress.  We were getting outscored, out chanced, and putting the puck in the net at an abnormal high rate.  We were also making way to many storybook comebacks.  

This year there aren't a lot of signs of regression.  You can point to Johnson's play, but his numbers are inline with his last two seasons and we have Elliott waiting for an opportunity.  You can point to win percentage on 1-goal games and I would buy that, but the Flames were unlucky not to be scoring more goals so that will likely even out.  I think the early woes were a combination of a young team, a new coach, and some bad luck leading to a lack of confidence.  I think you can see that when you look at the production and play of guys like Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, etc.  These are proven players that weren't playing as they did in the past.  

I think the Flames will regress a little.  But I think we remain a team clearly in the mix for a playoff spot and I think the recent play is a closer reflection to their talent level then the early play.  I don't know if we make the playoffs.  Unless Edmonton drops out (very possible) I see us behind them, SJ, LA, and ANA.  That leaves us fighting for the final wild card with whoever falls out of the Central (probably NSH or STL).  That said, we aren't even at the halfway point yet so that could change drastically. Either way, I think we stay in the mix.  

21 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I think the Flames will regress a little.  But I think we remain a team clearly in the mix for a playoff spot and I think the recent play is a closer reflection to their talent level then the early play.  I don't know if we make the playoffs.  Unless Edmonton drops out (very possible) I see us behind them, SJ, LA, and ANA.  That leaves us fighting for the final wild card with whoever falls out of the Central (probably NSH or STL).  That said, we aren't even at the halfway point yet so that could change drastically. Either way, I think we stay in the mix.  

I may be seeing things that aren't there, but EDM has looked like a one line team for the last month or so.  McDavid is the only reason that they are even close to a playoff spot.  Talbot has kept them in games they should have lost, but McDavid has added enough points on the board to get the win.  They have gotten a good share of PP chances and usually core on at least one per game.  Again, mostly McDavid.  If he has a dry spell for any length of time they will quickly drop.  

Archived