We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

26 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

This is the one that pissed me off the most (aside from fighting the urge to 2-hand Kesler across the face a couple of times).  Even Kelly Hrudy was amazed that Ferland got called for the same thing Getzlaf didn't

Maybe Johnny is being labelled as a whiner, but there were a few incidents that should have been called:

1) triple hack to the hands from Cogliano when he had the freakin' puck on his stick; there is no way a ref doesn't see that and should be disgraced considering the effect the last time it happened to said player.

2) Driving a player into the crossbar - it's roughing, call it accordingly

3) Stick hacked to the point where it snapped while he has the puck.

Those are just three isolated incidents, but hey, ANA wouldn't stand for officiating calling them on more than 4 penalties in a game.  As far as goalie interference goes, does the NHL or refs even bother thinking about this?  It should have been riles no goal by the on-ice refs and let ANA appeal.  Or more appropriately, the "Snore Room" should have got on the phone and called for the review.  Guess it was past beddy bye.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It should have been riles no goal by the on-ice refs and let ANA appeal.  Or more appropriately, the "Snore Room" should have got on the phone and called for the review.  Guess it was past beddy bye.

Ya the Perry goalie interference goal plus the Bennett/Chiasson missed two-man breakaway was the game.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya the Perry goalie interference goal plus the Bennett/Chiasson missed two-man breakaway was the game.

I thought the vermette interference was worse, I dont think gio pushed him into the goalie and you could see him put his arm across johnsons midsection plus stopping him from sliding across to the post. 

It seems to me officials now a days dont wave off goalie interference as there is the review process so they dont even bother waving goals off. Both goals last night like that would have been waved off before coachs challenge. 

20 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I thought the vermette interference was worse, I dont think gio pushed him into the goalie and you could see him put his arm across johnsons midsection plus stopping him from sliding across to the post. 

It seems to me officials now a days dont wave off goalie interference as there is the review process so they dont even bother waving goals off. Both goals last night like that would have been waved off before coachs challenge. 

Crazy question but is there a qualifying camp or training program that NHL officials have to pass through or are they just picked by some committee ? Curious

23 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Crazy question but is there a qualifying camp or training program that NHL officials have to pass through or are they just picked by some committee ? Curious

I know ive read before that officials have a training camp just like the players do in september but im not sure about qualifying. I heard it on the broadcast that the NHL refs are getting younger because of all the retirements, thats where the problem lies. That is an interesting question though, you would think they should qualify.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202016-12

Still hanging in there but we need more breathing room between us & the underlings. Get it done Flames!

The Eastern Conference wildcard cut-off dropping quite dramatically due to the middle-tier teams unable to maintain their early season success.

On 2016-12-30 at 0:44 PM, travel_dude said:

Maybe Johnny is being labelled as a whiner, but there were a few incidents that should have been called:

1) triple hack to the hands from Cogliano when he had the freakin' puck on his stick; there is no way a ref doesn't see that and should be disgraced considering the effect the last time it happened to said player.

2) Driving a player into the crossbar - it's roughing, call it accordingly

3) Stick hacked to the point where it snapped while he has the puck.

Those are just three isolated incidents, but hey, ANA wouldn't stand for officiating calling them on more than 4 penalties in a game.  As far as goalie interference goes, does the NHL or refs even bother thinking about this?  It should have been riles no goal by the on-ice refs and let ANA appeal.  Or more appropriately, the "Snore Room" should have got on the phone and called for the review.  Guess it was past beddy bye.

Two Refs in the game now. How did they miss those penalties when a refs job is to follow the play. 

I dont know if anyone else has seen the calls for the nhl switching its point system so regulation wins are worth 3 points and otw are worth 2 points, with the loss being worth 1 point. Its just interesting to note that the pacific division would look a little different if this was the case. 

Anaheim-20-12-8...... 66 points   18 Regulation Wins

San Jose- 23-13-2..... 62 points, 16 Regulation Wins

Calgary- 21-17-2....... 60 points   16 Regulation Wins

Edmonton- 19-13-7... 59 points    15 Regulation Wins

LA 19-15-4................ 53 points     11 Regulation Wins

Vancouver 19-18-3...  51 points      10 Regulation Wins

Arizona 11-22-5........ 33 points       6 Regulation Wins

I dont really know if it makes that big of a difference if we still award the loser point to teams, but it is interesting to note that under this system the playoff race would be slightly different and teams with more regulation time wins get rewarded. 

I would personally like to see a point system where any win equals two points (maybe shootout=1) and the loser gets nothing. Right now Anaheim and Edmonton wouldn't even be in a playoff position if they didn't get to overtime, which I think is a problem with the current NHL.

In the final minute(s) teams either play not to lose or just get it to OT to pick up a point. We would see more urgency if the three point games were removed, but also teams would not be rewarded for losing, which is what personally makes me angry. Why should a team that has lost more be in a playoff position instead one that has more wins?

I thought the point of sports is so that the teams that win more move on, its just so dumb. Don't get me wrong, I see the value of the idea but IMO its counter intuitive to how things should be run.

As of now, it looks like we'd be in a playoff spot with winning % in consideration. This is the quick math of games in hand and possible points if the other teams won those games. 

The next two games versus the Canucks are important. They can keep them at bay, or push them way out of the race in two games, or they can leapfrog us in the process. While it doesn't make or break the season, they're imperative to win because it gives them or takes their life away in the race. 

My minimum goal is to go .500 for the two games. Get two points regardless of how. Just don't allow the Canucks to gain any ground. If we win one and lose one, I don't want that win to be in OT either. They're making it interesting. 

I guess we still project into the playoffs but we must beat down the teams that threaten our goal.

Over the next 36 hrs we play our most wretched & despicable opponent twice, the Nucks.

Your mission Flames is to "terminate with extreme prejudice"

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-01

Just now, CheersMan said:

6th segment complete and we made some ground there by winning 5 of 7.  Holding the bar at 95 pts we are only 2.7 pts off the pace.  Next segment brings WPG, SJS, NJ, FLA, NSH, EDM x 2.

Those divisional games coming up could be a huge swing in points for us, dont need to say it but those are pretty important games.

43 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Those divisional games coming up could be a huge swing in points for us, dont need to say it but those are pretty important games.

Yes, particularly the 2 Edm games, they stunned us with 2 straight losses out of the gate.  Flames have waited a long time for redemption.

32 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

A huge sigh of relief after taking the 2nd game this weekend against the Nuckheads.

Now if only the Oil would falter & let us catch up!

Am I alone in strongly wanting Detroit to end their 25 YEAR streak of consecutive playoffs?

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-01

Being in the thick of it at this time of the season is good, I like it. The team is playing good hockey right now.

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Yes, particularly the 2 Edm games, they stunned us with 2 straight losses out of the gate.  Flames have waited a long time for redemption.

The schedule makers are having fun giving the Oilers an easy schedule.  

They got NJ with NJ on the 2nd of a B2B.

Their B2B against the Sens is after the Sens played a B2B against the Caps.

They play the Flames after we have a B2B against the Devils.

They play FLA after we play them the night before.

They play the Preds after we play them the night before.

The toughest stretch for them is playing the Flames B2B after the Preds and the B2B against the SJS and ANA.

Right now I'm only worried about LA and Nashville, and that's assuming we keep winning. If we go on a three game skid it is not going to look good for us.

Tonight is the biggest game of the year, we need this one to keep our playoff hopes alive but also to try and catch the team ahead of us. For me a 3 pointer is not an option, we need to win in regulation. However with Mcdavid guaranteed 3 points every time he plays us we'll need at least 4 goals.

1 hour ago, LAkid said:

Nope, and after tonight's game against the Oiler's it will be obvious We are headed down a spiral of re building years. Bad contracts/players and management. Burke leaves a path of destruction behind every team he has led.

Then I guess it's a good think Burke isn't the GM.

Archived