Flames 2016-2017 Predictions!

rickross

When he's on his game Wideman is amongst the top offensive D men in the league. It's really a shame what happened to him last season because coming off such s string year he could have lauded us a great return. We've seen the price of D men of late, especially one that can put up points...and cross check refs in the back. That's a unique skill set right there!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict the Flames play 82 regular season games, win some & lose some. :lol:

Any thing else I'll wait until I see rosters in the division set as there are still moves to be made in the next few months that could make radical differences.

I agree, I think this thread will start to get interesting around pre-season game time :)

Still too early to tell, still too many moves to be made.

It nice to hear Treliving still actively pursuing potential moves, the man has had a busy agenda this offseason. Not to rag on Wideman but if we can move his salary I do think Nakladal could do a decent job as a replacement plus save us a ton in cap space to get those 2 big Rfa contracts out of the way. It wouldn't hurt to have extra cap space this season especially around trade deadline and the potential for lots of movement prior to the expansion draft. This expansion draft could prove very opportunistic for Treliving and co...it could be quite the different team by year's end

Did I miss something happening with Nakladal? I'm not seeing him on the current roster page or the "in the system" page. I thought he had a solid season and would like to see him crack the line up.

As it currently sits, I believe that we're battling with Edmonton and LA for 3rd place in our division.

LA has had some poor mgmt decisions (Lucic/no draft picks/Brown-Richards handling) over the past yr and has an aging roster in which I don't see last yrs 102 pts repeated.

I also believe Edmonton is a step closer to finally turning a corner as Chiarelli continues to devalue "offensive powerhouse" philosophies in favour of hockey sense.

Arizona is scary good to me, but very, very young so maybe next yr but I'm not thinking this yr. I'd say 2 yrs but it always seems teams come a year earlier than anticipated. :ph34r:

As for us, the 2 key additions of Elliot and Brouwer are as much locker room presence as solid hockey moves. My personal opinion is that we did not have edge on our team with vets like Stajan and Wideman.

Oddly, I believe they may be 2 big benefactors of adding more aggressive personalities.

I think both additions will also help Gio as our C and Engelland as our aggressor. More of an outlier is Bollig, an ex-Hawk like Brouwer.

So I believe those additions will help us in a lot of ways and could potentially be enough to change our fortunes by having the whole squad show up every night and give us some fangs.

All that's left is how s our coach gong to invigorate our style and special teams?

As it currently sits, I believe that we're battling with Edmonton and LA for 3rd place in our division.

LA has had some poor mgmt decisions (Lucic/no draft picks/Brown-Richards handling) over the past yr and has an aging roster in which I don't see last yrs 102 pts repeated.

I also believe Edmonton is a step closer to finally turning a corner as Chiarelli continues to devalue "offensive powerhouse" philosophies in favour of hockey sense.

Arizona is scary good to me, but very, very young so maybe next yr but I'm not thinking this yr. I'd say 2 yrs but it always seems teams come a year earlier than anticipated. :ph34r:

As for us, the 2 key additions of Elliot and Brouwer are as much locker room presence as solid hockey moves. My personal opinion is that we did not have edge on our team with vets like Stajan and Wideman.

Oddly, I believe they may be 2 big benefactors of adding more aggressive personalities.

I think both additions will also help Gio as our C and Engelland as our aggressor. More of an outlier is Bollig, an ex-Hawk like Brouwer.

So I believe those additions will help us in a lot of ways and could potentially be enough to change our fortunes by having the whole squad show up every night and give us some fangs.

All that's left is how s our coach gong to invigorate our style and special teams?

I see us better but every one seems to forget with a new coach comes changes. Our whole season once again will be determined by our start. Look how long it took Hamilton to adjust when he came over, 1/3 of the season, we are going to see that again. It is more the D zone that I have my concerns, if they play a pressure system. Hartley played the sit back and block shots where GG now wants pressure on the opposition, there will be lots of errors. That being stated Elliott and Johnson will be called upon large in the early part of the season.

I see us better but every one seems to forget with a new coach comes changes. Our whole season once again will be determined by our start. Look how long it took Hamilton to adjust when he came over, 1/3 of the season, we are going to see that again. It is more the D zone that I have my concerns, if they play a pressure system. Hartley played the sit back and block shots where GG now wants pressure on the opposition, there will be lots of errors. That being stated Elliott and Johnson will be called upon large in the early part of the season.

Every new season is a reset, we have a whole new coaching staff that will be implementing a revised style of play. How the players adapt will be essential of whether we see success in the form of wins. As a team we should be better simply by having a number of players with another year of NHL experience. Our goaltending IMO has a good fix to it and we need them both to perform well. Defensively we have good players but need a way better effort from Wideman. Upfront will be a matter of finding the right chemistry within the lines. I expect some experimenting but not like we saw with BH and if the forwards can gain some consistency we should have plenty of scoring ability on all 4 lines or at least 3. I think this coaching staff will also be expecting more of a press in all 3 sections of the ice from our forwards.

Should be exciting.

Every new season is a reset, we have a whole new coaching staff that will be implementing a revised style of play. How the players adapt will be essential of whether we see success in the form of wins. As a team we should be better simply by having a number of players with another year of NHL experience. Our goaltending IMO has a good fix to it and we need them both to perform well. Defensively we have good players but need a way better effort from Wideman. Upfront will be a matter of finding the right chemistry within the lines. I expect some experimenting but not like we saw with BH and if the forwards can gain some consistency we should have plenty of scoring ability on all 4 lines or at least 3. I think this coaching staff will also be expecting more of a press in all 3 sections of the ice from our forwards.

Should be exciting.

Who's all going to the World Cup from the Flames? Is it just Gaudreau and Monahan? 

The Flames need to work on their game. I feel like this year we can't have the extra's at camp so that the team that's closest to the opening day roster can gel. Last year, I feel like one of our problems were that we had so many extra bodies, the management assumed that last year's success was going to carry over for the regulars. But they need to work and come together as a team this year. Only invite any players they feel have a shot at making the team or the AHL? It's time to get serious about it. 

I understand that building a team takes time and it's why you invite players to find a needle in a haystack. But we are getting closer and we now need the prospects to continue developing thus pushing for spots.

Who's all going to the World Cup from the Flames? Is it just Gaudreau and Monahan? 

The Flames need to work on their game. I feel like this year we can't have the extra's at camp so that the team that's closest to the opening day roster can gel. Last year, I feel like one of our problems were that we had so many extra bodies, the management assumed that last year's success was going to carry over for the regulars. But they need to work and come together as a team this year. Only invite any players they feel have a shot at making the team or the AHL? It's time to get serious about it. 

I understand that building a team takes time and it's why you invite players to find a needle in a haystack. But we are getting closer and we now need the prospects to continue developing thus pushing for spots.

I think the WC is a joke and real bad timing. I agree with more assessment time given the new coaching staff coming in. They likely want most of the bodies in camp to see everyone first hand, can't blame them. BT has done a good job thinning the ranks but has some work in filling out the AHL roster numbers.

Add Kevin (Joki) and Nakladal to the list of invited.

So there are 4. And Nakladal isn't a Flames player yet as he hasn't signed yet. 

I hope he does, but then, if Kulak and Wotherspoon can make the jump... Maybe that's why Treliving didn't sign him yet, hoping one or both can make the roster?

So there are 4. And Nakladal isn't a Flames player yet as he hasn't signed yet. 

I hope he does, but then, if Kulak and Wotherspoon can make the jump... Maybe that's why Treliving didn't sign him yet, hoping one or both can make the roster?

I know we are rich with RHS D-men, but I also think Nakladal played better than Wotherspoon and is overall the better of the two.  It's possible they have moved on from Nakladal, but I really don't think so.  There are definitely some pressures with the roster right now (2 RHS in the bottom pairing making $2.9m and $5.25m and Smid being injured) as well as a few prospects that could easily slide into a bottom pair role (Spoon, Kulak, Culkin, and Kylington).  Makes sense to hold off signing Nak right now.  He's not going anywhere right now.  

I hope they are able to trade Wideman and resolve the Smid situation to give opportunity to the kids/Nak. 

I know we are rich with RHS D-men, but I also think Nakladal played better than Wotherspoon and is overall the better of the two.  It's possible they have moved on from Nakladal, but I really don't think so.  There are definitely some pressures with the roster right now (2 RHS in the bottom pairing making $2.9m and $5.25m and Smid being injured) as well as a few prospects that could easily slide into a bottom pair role (Spoon, Kulak, Culkin, and Kylington).  Makes sense to hold off signing Nak right now.  He's not going anywhere right now.  

I hope they are able to trade Wideman and resolve the Smid situation to give opportunity to the kids/Nak. 

And yet BT has said a couple of times he is not quite done yet. He said he would like to add one more D. I have not heard what level this D would be just that he wanted to add 1 more, so I assume it is most likely around the 4-5 depth area.

I think we already have enough 6-7 D competing for those spots and the TOP 3 area is set with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton.

And yet BT has said a couple of times he is not quite done yet. He said he would like to add one more D. I have not heard what level this D would be just that he wanted to add 1 more, so I assume it is most likely around the 4-5 depth area.

I think we already have enough 6-7 D competing for those spots and the TOP 3 area is set with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton.

I have heard that too and it's perplexing.  He signed an AHL guy giving him about 8 guys there.  We have 7 guys signed for the NHL right now, though Smid is not healthy.  Unless he knows he is trading Wideman or Engelland, I don't see how he needs to sign anyone.  He expects Spoon to push for a spot, probably #7 though.

I predict this is the year that Mark Jankowski makes the Flames.

I am of the opinion he will make good his considerations early on, but be sent down to start the year. He will will be called up due to injuries and likely stay late in the year, maybe just after the trade deadline.

I predict this is the year that Mark Jankowski makes the Flames.

I am of the opinion he will make good his considerations early on, but be sent down to start the year. He will will be called up due to injuries and likely stay late in the year, maybe just after the trade deadline.

He has reportedly weighed in at 210 pounds.  That's a big plus.  Bigger than Monahan was in his first 3 seasons.

Hey a line of Janko- bennett- Brower sounds good.

I don't think they want to play either natural center on the wing.  I would rather they move Stajan to the wing and have Janko take the 4th line role.  I wonder if Janko will be as good a defender as Backlund in the future.

I don't think they want to play either natural center on the wing.  I would rather they move Stajan to the wing and have Janko take the 4th line role.  I wonder if Janko will be as good a defender as Backlund in the future.

Funny they played Bennett on the wing for the 1st little while. We have limited spaces for players. Pretty sure the kid is better than 4th line center. He may have to drift to a Left Wing for the intern.

Funny they played Bennett on the wing for the 1st little while. We have limited spaces for players. Pretty sure the kid is better than 4th line center. He may have to drift to a Left Wing for the intern.

The mega dollar question. At what point does the rookie center compete for his spot?

This is why I said they would more likely bring him up at trade deadline to give them a chance to find Stajan a new home and work Janks and his minimal cap hit into the lineup.

The mega dollar question. At what point does the rookie center compete for his spot?

This is why I said they would more likely bring him up at trade deadline to give them a chance to find Stajan a new home and work Janks and his minimal cap hit into the lineup.

Are we seeing that our playoff year negatively affected the rebuild??

Stajan played admirably in the playoffs imo, but is he a player that survives a rebuild?

Is it fair to compare Vermette in ARI?

It's not that they didn't like him, but they saw a need to open a roster spot.

Are we too tentative in that philosophy?

Hopefully they learned from that mistake and don't make it again with Jankowski.

Are we seeing that our playoff year negatively affected the rebuild??

Stajan played admirably in the playoffs imo, but is he a player that survives a rebuild?

Is it fair to compare Vermette in ARI?

It's not that they didn't like him, but they saw a need to open a roster spot.

Are we too tentative in that philosophy?

I think when assessing this "rebuild" you have to take into account the contracts BT inherited and the ones he created. BB and BT came in signing filler vets with experience to 3 years term which tells me this is how long they saw a need for these players. By need you have to take into account supporting the development of your youth to gain enough experience to carry the team. When we went to the playoffs we received exceptional play from those vets plus our youth, not something anyone should count on happening. Last season we witnessed what happens with a few key injuries and some poor performances of vets surrounding our youth.

I think our projects this season are advancing Bennett's play with good line mates. Finding the right RW for JG and SM. Bringing along a couple of our young defensemen for when we do manage to rid ourselves of Wideman and Engelland eventually. Let the others develop in Stockton and be prepared for their opportunities to be called up.

They, who played Bennett at wing, got fired. I think it'd be best to play Jankowski a full year in the AHL. 

I am glad some of the fans are coming around to the kid. I was worried he'd run with what a lot here were saying about him. 

Archived