Flames 2016-2017 Predictions!

rickross

That what predictions are for! You can't predict something after its become fact...I see where you're coming from tho. I'm throwing out ideas based off the current roster considering no changes are made. I agree we are a little deeper than year but overall our bottom 6 still lacks depth in productivity. Obviously goalies have been revamped but Flames are still stepping into a bit of an unknown this season.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That what predictions are for! You can't predict something after its become fact...I see where you're coming from tho. I'm throwing out ideas based off the current roster considering no changes are made. I agree we are a little deeper than year but overall our bottom 6 still lacks depth in productivity. Obviously goalies have been revamped but Flames are still stepping into a bit of an unknown this season.

I'm not sure a focus on our bottom 6 is what you should be taking into consideration, more like what does our top 9 end up being with line formations. Who forms all our lines and how GG deploys these lines will determine certain outcomes. Anyways BT has vastly improved the net, our D should be solid and depending how the forward lines shake out, this should be a much improved team over last season.

I'm not sure a focus on our bottom 6 is what you should be taking into consideration, more like what does our top 9 end up being with line formations. Who forms all our lines and how GG deploys these lines will determine certain outcomes. Anyways BT has vastly improved the net, our D should be solid and depending how the forward lines shake out, this should be a much improved team over last season.

Rikross started the thread to provide opportunity to give your predictions of the coming season.  Saying it depends on the way the lines are set up isn't much of a prediction.  Saying Elliott would be injured is.

It's just a game of what you think will happen.  There is no right or wrong until the end of the season.  

Rikross started the thread to provide opportunity to give your predictions of the coming season.  Saying it depends on the way the lines are set up isn't much of a prediction.  Saying Elliott would be injured is.

It's just a game of what you think will happen.  There is no right or wrong until the end of the season.  

Have at it, until the roster is set I see no purpose in predicting anything. He mentioned our bottom 6 being a weakness as part of his prediction reasoning, hard to support.

Have at it, until the roster is set I see no purpose in predicting anything. He mentioned our bottom 6 being a weakness as part of his prediction reasoning, hard to support.

It's a pretty straightforward thread. There's already a roster 2016-17 focused thread if you just want to throw lines around. You could predict if Burkie will actually tie his ties next season if you want...there is no wrong or right.

Regarding our bottom 6...yeah we could still improve. If Bennett is out 3rd line C, he'd be our top scorer by far. I don't even think guys like Stagan even put up 20pts all year. So yeah , I'd say it's fair to say we still need greater depth there. It's the same reason why I don't expect a huge turn around if our roster remains as is. What happens to this team if JH or Monny get hurt?

I predict this is the year that Mark Jankowski makes the Flames.

I am of the opinion he will make good his considerations early on, but be sent down to start the year. He will will be called up due to injuries and likely stay late in the year, maybe just after the trade deadline.

It's a bold one! ..but it could happen. Ideally that's what we've all been waiting on janko for. There's a ton of pressure on these NHL vets these days..young players coming from all angles taking jobs. I would be fine with a full year in the AHL for Janko...it's time we see some progress from Poirier ...he'd really help out that RW depth if he can put it together. It would be really interesting to see where they would slot Janko if he did make a push

It's a bold one! ..but it could happen. Ideally that's what we've all been waiting on janko for. There's a ton of pressure on these NHL vets these days..young players coming from all angles taking jobs. I would be fine with a full year in the AHL for Janko...it's time we see some progress from Poirier ...he'd really help out that RW depth if he can put it together. It would be really interesting to see where they would slot Janko if he did make a push

Jankowski would have to show he could displace either Backlund or Stajan which is possible given this season in Stockton.

Rikross started the thread to provide opportunity to give your predictions of the coming season. Saying it depends on the way the lines are set up isn't much of a prediction. Saying Elliott would be injured is.

It's just a game of what you think will happen. There is no right or wrong until the end of the season.

We also form lines for fun on these forums and that's pretty much the same thing. It is fruitless, yet we still do it.

We also form lines for fun on these forums and that's pretty much the same thing. It is fruitless, yet we still do it.

I have no problem with it, in fact I started the one last year.  I like to throw out possible roster/lines n the 2016/17 Roster thread, but have given up on that for the summer.  I will wait till camp/pre-season starts before I get serious again.

In doing some rethinking on the roster and direction for the team maybe this would be the year to keep Tkachuk. If they are convinced he will be a force for us, he should be able to fit into this core now while we have solid veteran support around him. I would put him with Bennett and still manage their minutes and responsibilities.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Frolik

Ferland, Backlund, Chiasson

Tkachuk, Bennett, Brouwer

Bouma, Stajan, Hathaway

Hamilton, Vey

I think this would be the forward group I would want to see.

This would allow Shinkaruk, Jankowski and Poirier to form a line in Stockton. If the team were to trade Backlund and Bouma during the upcoming year, this could very well form our 3rd line in 2017/18

In doing some rethinking on the roster and direction for the team maybe this would be the year to keep Tkachuk. If they are convinced he will be a force for us, he should be able to fit into this core now while we have solid veteran support around him. I would put him with Bennett and still manage their minutes and responsibilities.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Frolik

Ferland, Backlund, Chiasson

Tkachuk, Bennett, Brouwer

Bouma, Stajan, Hathaway

Hamilton, Vey

I think this would be the forward group I would want to see.

This would allow Shinkaruk, Jankowski and Poirier to form a line in Stockton. If the team were to trade Backlund and Bouma during the upcoming year, this could very well form our 3rd line in 2017/18

That's a realistic setup IF they keep Tkachuk past 9 games.  I do think Shinkaruk has looked good enough to play in the top 9 starting lineup, though.  You could swap him with Tkachuk in the above or play him or Tkachuk with Monahan, bumping down Frolik to Backlund's line.  Chaisson, in that case, would be a much better 4th line RW.

Tkachuk will have to show he is ready for the NHL in his first 9 games, if he makes it that far.  I understand that there is some concern about his skating not being NHL fast yet, so I hope that he makes the team on more than just showing offense on a line with Johnny.

That's a realistic setup IF they keep Tkachuk past 9 games.  I do think Shinkaruk has looked good enough to play in the top 9 starting lineup, though.  You could swap him with Tkachuk in the above or play him or Tkachuk with Monahan, bumping down Frolik to Backlund's line.  Chaisson, in that case, would be a much better 4th line RW.

Tkachuk will have to show he is ready for the NHL in his first 9 games, if he makes it that far.  I understand that there is some concern about his skating not being NHL fast yet, so I hope that he makes the team on more than just showing offense on a line with Johnny.

I think it would be a huge mistake to give Tkachuk unprotected minutes with Gaudreau and Monahan. He isn't ready for that, pure fantasy IMO. Bennett is only slightly ahead on the learning curve but the time together would bode well for the future possibly.

I think it would be a huge mistake to give Tkachuk unprotected minutes with Gaudreau and Monahan. He isn't ready for that, pure fantasy IMO. Bennett is only slightly ahead on the learning curve but the time together would bode well for the future possibly.

There are plenty of examples of young players new to the NHL succeeding on an established offensive line. The Flames will at least give it a shot.

There are plenty of examples of young players new to the NHL succeeding on an established offensive line. The Flames will at least give it a shot.

They might but it means an 18 year old on his off wing, in his 1st year and I don't think that would be to smart. I would rather see some experience with a defensive element to his game with Gaudreau and Monahan.

They might but it means an 18 year old on his off wing, in his 1st year and I don't think that would be to smart. I would rather see some experience with a defensive element to his game with Gaudreau and Monahan.

I think they try him there. If he works then he sticks. If not it's back to junior. I think junior is the most likely outcome. He only sticks if he forces them to keep him and I only see thst happening if he clicks on the top line.

I think they try him there. If he works then he sticks. If not it's back to junior. I think junior is the most likely outcome. He only sticks if he forces them to keep him and I only see thst happening if he clicks on the top line.

I would even suspect his getting points on that line.  Whoever plays there will benefit from amazing passes or finishing on their passes.

Not sure how you would define "clicking".  Is a p/gp over 9 games clicking or is 9g in 9 games a better definition?

In doing some rethinking on the roster and direction for the team maybe this would be the year to keep Tkachuk. If they are convinced he will be a force for us, 

It would be highly inadvisable to keep Tkachuk, if the Flames value his development as a star player.   

There is Zero chance that he will be a "force" this year, if they do keep him.   Next year, Maybe.  But still Very early.

When speaking of forces, other than star wars, I think we should be looking at incremental improvements from Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett etc.   Maye Pribyl, you never know.

It would be highly inadvisable to keep Tkachuk, if the Flames value his development as a star player.

There is Zero chance that he will be a "force" this year, if they do keep him. Next year, Maybe. But still Very early.

When speaking of forces, other than star wars, I think we should be looking at incremental improvements from Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett etc. Maye Pribyl, you never know.

There is a bit over the top. I think returning to junior is the most likely outcome. But every prospect is different. It is certainly possible he makes the team and develops just fine. It is even possible he is a "force" this season, especially if he is on our established top line.

There is a bit over the top. I think returning to junior is the most likely outcome. But every prospect is different. It is certainly possible he makes the team and develops just fine. It is even possible he is a "force" this season, especially if he is on our established top line.

These days you just can't count out these kids. In all likelihood I think he might get his 9 games to get a taste of the NHL. Unless he clearly proves himself throughout camp and preseason I don't see a need to rush him. He will likely go back to junior and just dominate with Parsons in net and play a larger role if Marner graduates.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll predict the Flames will not make the playoffs this year, they will narrowly miss qualifying. They will improve as a team but I think the adjustments to new coaches and new players will take some time and it will cost us some games in the 1st half of the season. The real win will be at the TDL and draft, I'll predict we trade our middling pick and get in on some expansion draft transaction opportunities. Hopefully we land the right piece(s) and the dynamic of this team will make us a playoff bound team again in 2018.

I'll also predict some real traction next year regarding the new arena. I think the flames will redefine the original proposal and the creosote riddled site prooves too costly. They'll relocate the arena and propose the concept to facilitate rumored Winter Olympics bid. It's only fitting , the Saddledome was built to land the 88' Olympics and I think the city and Flames seize this international opportunity. Might even be able to secure some govt funding to help manage the costs.

I'll predict the Flames will not make the playoffs this year, they will narrowly miss qualifying. They will improve as a team but I think the adjustments to new coaches and new players will take some time and it will cost us some games in the 1st half of the season. The real win will be at the TDL and draft, I'll predict we trade our middling pick and get in on some expansion draft transaction opportunities. Hopefully we land the right piece(s) and the dynamic of this team will make us a playoff bound team again in 2018.

Not being critical, but....  :)

The goaltending is sound.  Any early struggles this year will have the goalies there to protect the net.  I doubt any new systems really detract from the defense's ability to defend. Where we may struggle a bit is from the scoring from defense.  Not really a regression, but you may start to see one D hang back more every shift.

The TDL adds an interesting dynamic to the season.  Many players will be available, not just from the basement teams.  If possible, I would like to see us add some talent that otherwise would be exposed to the draft.

Not being critical, but....   :)

The goaltending is sound.  Any early struggles this year will have the goalies there to protect the net.  I doubt any new systems really detract from the defense's ability to defend. Where we may struggle a bit is from the scoring from defense.  Not really a regression, but you may start to see one D hang back more every shift.

The TDL adds an interesting dynamic to the season.  Many players will be available, not just from the basement teams.  If possible, I would like to see us add some talent that otherwise would be exposed to the draft.

I don't see a regression this year either. I'm looking at the time it will take for Elliot to get in sync with his D..he'll give us more insurance in net but I still see this season having its adjustment period which will have us falling short of a playoff berth. Not hating, just being a realist and tempering expectations. 

The TDL this year could almost reshape the league dynamic, a lot of big names could be moved as teams prepare to protect their core. If the stars align the Flames could land some players that could really turn is into playoff contenders. 

I don't see a regression this year either. I'm looking at the time it will take for Elliot to get in sync with his D..he'll give us more insurance in net but I still see this season having its adjustment period which will have us falling short of a playoff berth. Not hating, just being a realist and tempering expectations. 

The TDL this year could almost reshape the league dynamic, a lot of big names could be moved as teams prepare to protect their core. If the stars align the Flames could land some players that could really turn is into playoff contenders. 

I think this season's team is miles ahead of the 2014/15 team both in maturity, experience and new players so I don't see why we couldn't push for a playoff birth. I'm not sure what BT would do come the TDL maybe be both buyer and seller ? we should be trying to still unload a few players as a mandate.

Archived