Flames 2016-2017 Predictions!

rickross

Another season is upon us! Where do you see the Flames in 2016-17? Did BT hire the right coach in Gulatzan? Playoffs or high draft pick? Do we finally have a true #1 in Elliot? Is our D core among the NHL elite? Will the Flames get a new arena?....

There are a lot of new faces on this team, starting with coaches all the way down to our goalies. Even more question marks as a result. It will really be interesting to see what team Gulatzan turns the Flames into. With the expansion draft looming we can only expect to see more changes to the NHL, let alone the Flames roster. What's everyone's pulse on the Flames this season and beyond?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another season is upon us! Where do you see the Flames in 2016-17? Did BT hire the right coach in Gulatzan? Playoffs or high draft pick? Do we finally have a true #1 in Elliot? Is our D core among the NHL elite? Will the Flames get a new arena?....

There are a lot of new faces on this team, starting with coaches all the way down to our goalies. Even more question marks as a result. It will really be interesting to see what team Gulatzan turns the Flames into. With the expansion draft looming we can only expect to see more changes to the NHL, let alone the Flames roster. What's everyone's pulse on the Flames this season and beyond?

A number of unknowns but I think we will have a team that will be hard to play against and be able to hang in there most games. Scoring will have to evolve and it should be exciting to watch if GG rolls with 4 lines.

I think we improve, but not enough for the playoffs. As all of the lower tier teams improve, the amount of points needed may drop as well, but I think we end up within 5 points this year.

I hope we make it, but I'd rather make it in a different fashion than we did two seasons ago where, I see it as sort of lucky. It was a perfect storm for us and the Canucks.

San Jose ended up in a elbowing show because of management, coaching and Thornton.

The Kings had an off year tired out from going deep 3 years in a row.

Like our shooting percentage that year, everything evened out last year.

It is a matter of setting short term goals, even game-by-game ones. Win each period... It doesn't mean dominate, it means control at least 51% of the play, or don't get outplayed. It's going to happen, but the less it does, the success will come.

I like the 7 game segments, but I would prefer if they implemented, once they won or lost a segment, they reset it much the same as in the playoffs. Only play out a full segment if it takes that long to win or lose it.

I think we improve, but not enough for the playoffs. As all of the lower tier teams improve, the amount of points needed may drop as well, but I think we end up within 5 points this year.

I hope we make it, but I'd rather make it in a different fashion than we did two seasons ago where, I see it as sort of lucky. It was a perfect storm for us and the Canucks.

San Jose ended up in a elbowing show because of management, coaching and Thornton.

It is a matter of setting short term goals, even game-by-game ones. Win each period... It doesn't mean dominate, it means control at least 51% of the play, or don't get outplayed. It's going to happen, but the less it does, the success will come.

I like the 7 game segments, but I would prefer if they implemented, once they won or lost a segment, they reset it much the same as in the playoffs. Only play out a full segment if it takes that long to win or lose it.

We will be 2 years removed from that magical season with a new coach, new goaltending and some new players that will have played together along with some new ones.  I think this is a team that should have its eye on playoff hockey.

We will be 2 years removed from that magical season with a new coach, new goaltending and some new players that will have played together along with some new ones. I think this is a team that should have its eye on playoff hockey.

I definitely agree they should be shooting for the playoffs. Good teams play like a team and make the playoffs. I want them to play like a team. "All for one, one for all."

Last year we were 10 points out of the playoffs.  Considering how bad goaltending was, that seems like a miracle.  I actually think we have better goaltending than the year we had 97 points.  You can consider the number of comebacks that year to be a fluke, but really it was a fluke we had to come back.  Bad goaltending put us down a goal or three.  I don't think it's unreasonable to have a 100 point season.  We have the weapons.  We have good defense.  We have two good goalies.  

One of the indicators will be special teams.  If the total % of the special teams combined it around 100, then we are where we need to be.  

Last year we were 10 points out of the playoffs. Considering how bad goaltending was, that seems like a miracle. I actually think we have better goaltending than the year we had 97 points. You can consider the number of comebacks that year to be a fluke, but really it was a fluke we had to come back. Bad goaltending put us down a goal or three. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a 100 point season. We have the weapons. We have good defense. We have two good goalies.

One of the indicators will be special teams. If the total % of the special teams combined it around 100, then we are where we need to be.

Special teams play will likely decide if we're a playoff team or not this year. Young, fast hard working team will draw a good share of penalties...if we can get in the top 10 PP this year we can be a very good contending team. I'm still not convinced that Elliot is our savior either! I want our D to still play an honest game and not play with a heavy dependency on Elliot/Johnson.

There are so many changes this year with coaching, goalies and other key players it will take some time for everyone to get settled in and acclimatized.  Starting the Fall with the Worlds isn't going to help matters.  I expect a strong start due to a relatively weak early schedule and young guys trying desperately to make the team, which hopefully we can maintain and still be in a playoff position by the New Year.  The second half of the season I expect the team to continue to gel and and be one of the better teams heading into a playoff berth.  Along with the Flames I expect LAK to make it in the Pacific for sure and the other position up for grabs.  We will also break the Duck Pond curse and win a game in Anaheim, finally!

As far as a new stadium goes, no way that is happening with the current political and economic climate in Calgary and Alberta and across Canada unless its a key part of a new Winter Olympics bid which may happen.  

Special teams play will likely decide if we're a playoff team or not this year. Young, fast hard working team will draw a good share of penalties...if we can get in the top 10 PP this year we can be a very good contending team. I'm still not convinced that Elliot is our savior either! I want our D to still play an honest game and not play with a heavy dependency on Elliot/Johnson.

Elliott shouldn't have to be our saviour, you should read what Giordano had to say about goaltending this past season. Goals against are a stat against the team not just the goaltenders. I am hoping for a better overall defensive blanket from the team and more players that will actually hit someone on the opposing team.

Elliott shouldn't have to be our saviour, you should read what Giordano had to say about goaltending this past season. Goals against are a stat against the team not just the goaltenders. I am hoping for a better overall defensive blanket from the team and more players that will actually hit someone on the opposing team.

The combination of the two should make a big difference, as will the new coach GG, who will also make it a focus and not an afterthought.

Gio is a consumate pro.  He will shift blame away from a goalie no matter how he feels they performed.  

Saying that, the lack of any real defensive system, other than passive resistance, played a part in the weak goalie effort.  But let's be honest here.  Goaltending was horrendous.  No defensive system is going to fix that.

Gio is a consumate pro.  He will shift blame away from a goalie no matter how he feels they performed.  

Saying that, the lack of any real defensive system, other than passive resistance, played a part in the weak goalie effort.  But let's be honest here.  Goaltending was horrendous.  No defensive system is going to fix that.

Whatever, it is a team game and the players know it.

Whatever, it is a team game and the players know it.

A coach will tell you that the best PK player is the goalie.  A weak goal even strength is going to deflate any team a bit.  

Throw Ramo or Ortio into nets for Pittsburg or San Jose and the results would have been blowouts.

A coach will tell you that the best PK player is the goalie.  A weak goal even strength is going to deflate any team a bit.  

Throw Ramo or Ortio into nets for Pittsburg or San Jose and the results would have been blowouts.

Once again this is nothing you know for sure. How many goals are goals from mistakes the defensemen make and the goalie has no chance whatsoever on ? Lots, which means our defense made lots of mistakes.

Once again this is nothing you know for sure. How many goals are goals from mistakes the defensemen make and the goalie has no chance whatsoever on ? Lots, which means our defense made lots of mistakes.

I get the goaltending was bad, I just find it puzzling that some place the entire blame on it. I remember in the Kipper days, some of the fans in this forum wanted his head.

When a team leaves their goalie out to dry or has the defensive zone time we did the last few years, you're going to get scored on no matter how good the goaltending is. Maybe a few more pucks get saved but it's still not enough if the team continues to play that poorly with puck possession numbers.

Sure we have a good D, but so far they've only showed they're good offensively. We need a big Mobile D who can move the puck. I think we are still a bit weak in the backend because they're easy to play against. But maybe the way they play will change and make it harder on the other team. We were passive so hoping they do go aggressive.

I get the goaltending was bad, I just find it puzzling that some place the entire blame on it. I remember in the Kipper days, some of the fans in this forum wanted his head.

When a team leaves their goalie out to dry or has the defensive zone time we did the last few years, you're going to get scored on no matter how good the goaltending is. Maybe a few more pucks get saved but it's still not enough if the team continues to play that poorly with puck possession numbers.

Sure we have a good D, but so far they've only showed they're good offensively. We need a big Mobile D who can move the puck. I think we are still a bit weak in the backend because they're easy to play against. But maybe the way they play will change and make it harder on the other team. We were passive so hoping they do go aggressive.

So what is the difference between last year and the year before?  Dougie and goaltending.  The number of shots per game was more or less the same.  Were the goals from high-danger or low-danger areas?  I would consider a unscreened shot from the wing, between the circle and the blue line to be a low-danger.  If a goalie can't stop more than 90% of those shot, then goaltending is bad. Zone time is only important if it results in multiple shots and rebounds.    

The difference is, the Sharks and the Kings had anomoly seasons. We got lucky with unprecedented amount of comebacks.

Sure, if we had the same comeback record last season as we had the season before, we had a chance to make the playoffs. But if you're counting on that to make the playoffs then you're kidding yourself. The goaltending was bad the year we made it, but just good enough to get in. We still had to have big comebacks in the third, which was the team's fault.

Playing one period a game isn't a recipe for success and last year proved it.

The difference is, the Sharks and the Kings had anomoly seasons. We got lucky with unprecedented amount of comebacks.

Sure, if we had the same comeback record last season as we had the season before, we had a chance to make the playoffs. But if you're counting on that to make the playoffs then you're kidding yourself. The goaltending was bad the year we made it, but just good enough to get in. We still had to have big comebacks in the third, which was the team's fault.

Playing one period a game isn't a recipe for success and last year proved it.

What I was actually saying was...if we had decent goaltending last year, we would have been closer to a playoff spot then to 26th in the league.  You can't expect to mount a comeback when you are losing after the first minute of a game and can't get consistent goaltending the rest of the game.  At least in 2014/15, after we were behind by a few goals, that was the end of the goals against.  This past year it was just the beginning.

Playing with incompetent goaltending is not a recipe for success.  Last year proved that.  Take away the soft goals from last year, and the low-danger area goals, and the team looks a lot dirrerent.  Simple save and you can change momentum.  

I am not going to say that goaltending was the only reason, but it all starts there.  Lack of trust in your goalie puts the onus on defender to block or deflect the shot.  Playing passively in the D-zone puts pressure on the defenders to clear the puck, not control the play.  Trying to constantly use a stretch pass to create offense often comes back on you.  Sound familiar? 

I think it's all encompassing. Goaltending will give a better chance at staying even early, but if the team play doesn't improve the results will stay the same. Hopefully it is coaching and systems, but nothing has shown it'll improve. We added Frolik and Hamilton and got worse... Possession numbers rose slightly, but the high chances remained the same.

I predict the Flames play 82 regular season games, win some & lose some. :lol:

Any thing else I'll wait until I see rosters in the division set as there are still moves to be made in the next few months that could make radical differences.

It nice to hear Treliving still actively pursuing potential moves, the man has had a busy agenda this offseason. Not to rag on Wideman but if we can move his salary I do think Nakladal could do a decent job as a replacement plus save us a ton in cap space to get those 2 big Rfa contracts out of the way. It wouldn't hurt to have extra cap space this season especially around trade deadline and the potential for lots of movement prior to the expansion draft. This expansion draft could prove very opportunistic for Treliving and co...it could be quite the different team by year's end

It nice to hear Treliving still actively pursuing potential moves, the man has had a busy agenda this offseason. Not to rag on Wideman but if we can move his salary I do think Nakladal could do a decent job as a replacement plus save us a ton in cap space to get those 2 big Rfa contracts out of the way. It wouldn't hurt to have extra cap space this season especially around trade deadline and the potential for lots of movement prior to the expansion draft. This expansion draft could prove very opportunistic for Treliving and co...it could be quite the different team by year's end

Was there an interview or article with BT?

Was there an interview or article with BT?

It was him commenting on the status of JH and Monnys contracts. He's mentioned he's still been digging away looking for ways to improve his team, while continuing to finalize those 2 contracts. Who knows if anything comes of it, just good to know he's not completely handcuffed with those on going contracts.

It was him commenting on the status of JH and Monnys contracts. He's mentioned he's still been digging away looking for ways to improve his team, while continuing to finalize those 2 contracts. Who knows if anything comes of it, just good to know he's not completely handcuffed with those on going contracts.

As the summer gets closer to ending, teams will have a sense of their rosters and possible moves just prior to the Workds. Not that I advocate injuries but there could be a few D guys who go down and we end up with a couple of teams looking for someone to fill a need. Wideman could be a good candidate for that?

Archived