Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of seeing this differently.  

We've played well.  We compete.  We are in every game.  At the end of the day, if we're playing our best hockey and still losing, then it's a personnel issue and not a coaching issue.  Our players simply aren't good enough.  We most likely overrated ourselves.  From our D to our forwards to our depth, we need better players.  We need an upgrade.

It's not GG's fault that Sam Bennett decided to stick handle the puck away from a wide open net and into traffic to eliminate his own scoring chance.  But i do see a lack of finish.  Too many "Ohh so close" but lacking that final touch.  Passes through the crease that just missed.  A little more skill by skilled players and that puck is in the net.

If there is any blame on GG, then i would have to say we need to break up Brodie - Hamonic.  They are a liability on the ice.  Hamonic is playing like garbage and he hurts us the most AFTER he wins a puck battle along the boards, makes horrible decisions in pressure situations, turnovers in our own zone, like why did he even win the battle to begin with.  His efforts are all for not.  Is he just not reading where Brodie is?  Brodie doesn't have the best defensive awareness.  Something has to be done about this pairing.  Even if GG turns Hamonic into a 10 minute player on the 3rd pair, he has to do it.

You have to admit that there are many game where we appear to be trapped in a system and can only break out of it by throwing it out.

Strong Corsi numbers mean nothing if you don't do anything with the puck.  Breakouts that consist of shooting it up the wall don't work 

if it's a 100 foot pass.  Possession during the first half of the PP is meaningless if you don't get a shot on net.

The 4th line got spoken to about it's play in the 1st period.  What was the result?  They played more minutes than Ferland.  Well, okay Stajan

and Brouwer did.  Odd decisions, considering who scored the only goal.  Double shifting Johnny with Stajan?

Our record sure doesn’t look that great. We win a couple, lose 3, win a couple lose 3, or win one and lose a couple... 

we cant have anymore 3 game losing streaks this year. 

I just dont  get that we haven’t gotten the play down yet. Shouldn’t we be better that the GKnights?

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We've played well.  We compete.  We are in every game.  At the end of the day, if we're playing our best hockey and still losing, then it's a personnel issue and not a coaching issue.  Our players simply aren't good enough.  We most likely overrated ourselves.  From our D to our forwards to our depth, we need better players.  We need an upgrade.

It's not GG's fault that Sam Bennett decided to stick handle the puck away from a wide open net and into traffic to eliminate his own scoring chance.  But i do see a lack of finish.  Too many "Ohh so close" but lacking that final touch.  Passes through the crease that just missed.  A little more skill by skilled players and that puck is in the net.

If there is any blame on GG, then i would have to say we need to break up Brodie - Hamonic.  They are a liability on the ice.  Hamonic is playing like garbage and he hurts us the most AFTER he wins a puck battle along the boards, makes horrible decisions in pressure situations, turnovers in our own zone, like why did he even win the battle to begin with.  His efforts are all for not.  Is he just not reading where Brodie is?  Brodie doesn't have the best defensive awareness.  Something has to be done about this pairing.  Even if GG turns Hamonic into a 10 minute player on the 3rd pair, he has to do it.

I am starting to think BT has to go. This team is like him 2 good moves followed by 3 bad moves. Brouwer for 4.5M and bringing Jagr in here at this age. Should have just hired him as a coach. Hiring a group of coaches that can't even get the right players playing with who compliments them. This season has been a roadshow of poor decisions everywhere.

I know nobody likes the 'S' word around here, but Daryl Sutter is just hanging out at the farm waiting to whip these boys into shape.  He is the best unemployed coach right now, and whether he would consider coming to Calgary again or not is yet to be seen, but I really think he is the man to take this team to the next level.  I am convinced that if we fired GG and hired Dutter, our season would take a sharp 180 and this team would be very competative on the ice in a hurry.  We have talent.....we dont have the coach......its very plain to see.  We may not quite have the talent to win it all yet, but we certainly have it to ice a way better product than we are icing now!  Dutter would get us there, no doubt in my mind.

24 minutes ago, Addicted said:

I know nobody likes the 'S' word around here, but Daryl Sutter is just hanging out at the farm waiting to whip these boys into shape.  He is the best unemployed coach right now, and whether he would consider coming to Calgary again or not is yet to be seen, but I really think he is the man to take this team to the next level.  I am convinced that if we fired GG and hired Dutter, our season would take a sharp 180 and this team would be very competative on the ice in a hurry.  We have talent.....we dont have the coach......its very plain to see.  We may not quite have the talent to win it all yet, but we certainly have it to ice a way better product than we are icing now!  Dutter would get us there, no doubt in my mind.

Never had an issue with Dutter as a coach...   Lousy GM, but a good coach...

Would I prefer him over Gully?...   Absolutely...   But I don't see him coming back to the Flames...   He will probably stay retired from hockey...

WANTED: FLAMES COACH

Prerequisites:

-talk a good game

-star-gazing

-conform to a system of zero offence

-be everyone's buddy

-withhold beer from the team bus to motivate

-watch the live game in front of you on TV

-use 4 lines, regardless of obvious outcomes

-zero personality/emotion

-must have connection to 3rd rate players on other teams

-must make dmen play the side they shoot(but not forwards)

-make it appear the team is playing well while losing

-inability to get favourable line matches a plus

-

No past experience as a successful NHL coach necessary

(end sarcasm)

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

WANTED: FLAMES COACH

Prerequisites:

-talk a good game

-star-gazing

-conform to a system of zero offence

-be everyone's buddy

-withhold beer from the team bus to motivate

-watch the live game in front of you on TV

-use 4 lines, regardless of obvious outcomes

-zero personality/emotion

-must have connection to 3rd rate players on other teams

-must make dmen play the side they shoot(but not forwards)

-make it appear the team is playing well while losing

-inability to get favourable line matches a plus

-

No past experience as a successful NHL coach necessary

(end sarcasm)

I like it. So everyone believes we did not take the cheap route. If money for a coach was not an option and BT and BB chose this fool doesn't say much for them does it

23 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I like it. So everyone believes we did not take the cheap route. If money for a coach was not an option and BT and BB chose this fool doesn't say much for them does it

The decision was going the safe route (previous NHL old-school coach like Randy C) or up and comer they could build with the team.  The up-and-comer was one without a winning pedigree, and he has become more stubborn than BH ever was.  Add Cameron to the fold was also a huge mistake.  There's no excuse for the results.  There's no excuse for sticking with something that isn't working.  Tighten up the defense by shutting down offense.  Result is 40 shots against and one goal for.  I can't even describe what the defensive system is.   Once we get the puck, I don't even know what the transition is, because it seems like you just toss the puck out or make long passes.  It only looks like a possession team when we have the PP and don't want to shoot.  

It would not be wrong to fire the coach at this point.  Whether he's lost the room or just isn't getting results, the coaches need to go.  Bring in an interim coach.  Get Gelly back in there to design some plays.  The mistake was made, now is the time to fix it. 

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The decision was going the safe route (previous NHL old-school coach like Randy C) or up and comer they could build with the team.  The up-and-comer was one without a winning pedigree, and he has become more stubborn than BH ever was.  Add Cameron to the fold was also a huge mistake.  There's no excuse for the results.  There's no excuse for sticking with something that isn't working.  Tighten up the defense by shutting down offense.  Result is 40 shots against and one goal for.  I can't even describe what the defensive system is.   Once we get the puck, I don't even know what the transition is, because it seems like you just toss the puck out or make long passes.  It only looks like a possession team when we have the PP and don't want to shoot.  

It would not be wrong to fire the coach at this point.  Whether he's lost the room or just isn't getting results, the coaches need to go.  Bring in an interim coach.  Get Gelly back in there to design some plays.  The mistake was made, now is the time to fix it. 

I really like BT but if he can't make those hard decisions then he should be the first to go.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Was the CHI game a letdown by the players in the final 34 minutes or a change made by the coaching staff?

There is a tendency to sit on a lead and not put your foot to the throat.  The VAN game is the last one of those I remember.

Score 3 goals and go into a defensive shell?

Better coaching on the Chicago side.

Better line matching, double shifting of his best players and matching his players who were making things happen.

GG did little of the above or make much in the way of adjustments.

On 2017-12-30 at 1:41 AM, The_People1 said:

Although your assessment may in the end be partially true, I think its still clear that coaching/management is a major problem.  Line-ups and TOI issues are huge, as is motivation and accountability.  Why is it we are only now seeing our exciting prospect call-ups, who are "suddenly" out-playing vets when it was pretty darn clear in training camp the prospects were the better players but were getting shafted to start the season?  Just because players are competing now, which has improved the past 10 games or so, if they are bound by a conservative system that fails to utilize their talents they will never see the success that they are capable of producing.  Have you ever wondered why there is such a dramatic difference between Hartley and Gulutzen's effectiveness with so many players?  For example Gaudreau, Brodie, Giordano, Bennett and Monahan, for starters?  Although there are many differences between the two coaches, BH developed a fast-strike, counter-punching offence versus the more methodical, overwhelm them by possession attack of GG?  Do you really believe that our defence that was 1st in the league in scoring but is now just middle of the pack... suddenly can't play or are only now showing their true stripes?  Not really.  Do you wonder why it seems we can do so well against "eastern-style" teams like Chicago, who are not physical but we are the pits against "heavy" western conference teams, like Anaheim and now Edmonton?   Might I suggest style of play (systems) and the fact we've pretty much abandoned hitting/physicality/shot-blocking and strong aggressive PK/fore-checking?  Not to mention "playing to guarantee the tie" versus "playing for the shut-out and blowing teams out of the water" with a determined killer instinct?  Coaching is a huge part of our problem, and until it is addressed we'll continue spinning our tires.  

Consider the current 6 game stretch we are in, where the team has gained 3/6 pts, while giving up 5/6 pts to our immediate competition.  That's way less than 0.500 and sees us slipping further back in the race for a playoff spot.  Next up, LAK, ANA and MIN.  Sure, beating the Blackhawks is better and more fun that losing to them... but don't get too excited, we're still going backwards.  And rather than fixating on the players, why don't we deal with the other clear problems first?

Speaking of fast-strike offences, did anyone notice the PP attack of blast it into the zone from the defensive blue line while having 2 forwards careening top speed into the attacking zone to recover the puck at the end of the first period last night?  Great strategy, we recovered it and had two skilled players to create havoc and surprise attack before Chicago could recover?  Can we see more of the same, at least as an alternative now and then?  It might make the opposition think twice about standing 4 strong at the blue line.....

I think GG is somewhat coming around and is actually being a little fluid on his system(whatever that is).

But his decision process is still baffling me.

So LA pulls their goalie and puts out 6 of their best players so what does GG do he puts out a forward that is in his second game in the NHL and the other forward that is fighting for a 4th line spot and a 3rd forward that we won't be retained at the end of this contract year. WTF

Whose side is GG on . And you want to talk about Brain-Dead plays by Brodie!!!!

7 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I think GG is somewhat coming around and is actually being a little fluid on his system(whatever that is).

But his decision process is still baffling me.

So LA pulls their goalie and puts out 6 of their best players so what does GG do he puts out a forward that is in his second game in the NHL and the other forward that is fighting for a 4th line spot and a 3rd forward that we won't be retained at the end of this contract year. WTF

Whose side is GG on . And you want to talk about Brain-Dead plays by Brodie!!!!

I wondered about that too.  The problem wasn't putting them out in the final minutes.  It was not using the best line.  The 4th line was scored upon after an icing.  The Backlund line was getting hammered all night, though they somehow managed to win the Corsi game.  May have been the 2nd that allowed that.  Two goals against while they were on the ice.  They survived, but of all the lines the Backlund had the most trouble.  We really miss Frolik.  

9 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Oh No!  That's being too hard on the players!  Someone's feelings are going to be hurt! :ph34r:

That's exactly what this team needs and has been lacking, a little tough love, some accountability.  Someone needs to lead, I like it.

12 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Oh No!  That's being too hard on the players!  Someone's feelings are going to be hurt! :ph34r:

That's exactly what this team needs and has been lacking, a little tough love, some accountability.  Someone needs to lead, I like it.

I love it .. a good win doesn't allow / guarantee a feel good session ..  so much for his "softie" image :) 

55 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I see a coach that is feeling his chair getting uncomfortably warm.

Tick, tick, tick.

Let's see if he spends time figuring out line combos that work, matchups & the like now.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

GG used profanities and threw a stick probably after getting out of a meeting where profanities were used and a chair was thrown.

About friggen time now BT and GG Figure it out!!!!

Perhaps this was a legitimate emotional outburst. I believe that GG did the same thing last year around this time. You can only go to that well so many times before it becomes stale.

I wonder if he should have done this in the dressing room. Most of my coaches would lose their minds in the room where they would be louder. Doing so in an arena that has over 15,000 seats makes that much harder. Then again, he wouldn't really have had the ability to swing the stick like that. Speaking of which, he really should have consulted Smith in terms of how to properly break a stick with dramatic effect. I could watch Smith smash sticks for hours. He does the lumberjack swing really well. GG just did more of a Tonya Harding wind up. I want lumberjack smash. I give this a 6.4.

Archived