Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I’m not saying optimism is a bad thing now, there are still question marks on the sustainability of this team I believe and secondary scoring to me is still an issue and if we suffer injuries to 2 of our top 4 forwards like we did last year I could see similar problems to the last half of last season.

Maybe wasn't 2 of our top 4 forwards, but we had games where we were missing Giordano, Backlund, Frolik, Stone, Lomberg, Valimaki. That is our best D-man, a D-man playing some pretty decent minutes, our top shut down center, a shut-down winger who can score, as well as a 4th line tweener and another d-man that under GG was arguably a 4/5 D-man. And we still won more games than we lost. Yes it's not the same as losing Monahan and Tkachuk, but with everything else, the losses are still pretty bad (where we've had our 8th and 9th D-men as a pairing due to injuries and suspensions). There is no way under GG with a similar scenario we come out with a winning record there.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Before annointing BP the saviour and GG the worst coach we’ve ever had.  Look at the record and stats before November _15th.  And then look at what GG did during February and March of 2017, when Michael Stone was viewed as an upgrade to the d core, quite similar in record.

I’m not saying optimism is a bad thing now, there are still question marks on the sustainability of this team I believe and secondary scoring to me is still an issue and if we suffer injuries to 2 of our top 4 forwards like we did last year I could see similar problems to the last half of last season.

I'm still not crowning BP on such a small sample size, there's still lots of time for regression. My whole thing with BP was a matter of him being able to continually elevate the play of the team. They are playing at a higher level than they have the last few years, which is a good start, but we still don't know how high the ceiling or low the floor of this team is. Not to completely rag on GG, he did do some good things with this team. It just feels as though BP has done a better job establishing an identity and belief system within this team, i never knew who this team was under GG. 

Archived