Wideman Suspended

Carty

ETA: Do I think he should be suspended? I think he must be suspended. I am just not convinced he had a guilty mind when this happened.

Well how can anyone believe he had intent? How do you prove he had intent?

There are no angles to show he had intent in his eyes. There are no angles that show he saw the linesman earlier than what we were told. 

He will be suspended for up to 10 games just because of the contact. I see nothing that screams he should be made an example of here.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well how can anyone believe he had intent? How do you prove he had intent?

It's the cross-check and the extra jump into the referee that will imply intent.

Did he intent to cross-check the referee above the shoulders (in the head) with his stick?

Yes, we have enough to clearly see that intent.

Are we taking it out of context by only looking at that?  I don't know.  It's almost like:

"Wideman probably didn't really mean to do the horrible thing he clearly had intent to do".

I'm expecting the league to come down hard.   But I also agree with your point, on a contextual level, and hope nothing legal comes out of it.

It's the cross-check and the extra jump into the referee that will imply intent.

Did he intent to cross-check the referee above the shoulders (in the head) with his stick?

Yes, we have enough to clearly see that intent.

Are we taking it out of context by only looking at that?  I don't know.  It's almost like:

"Wideman probably didn't really mean to do the horrible thing he clearly had intent to do".

I'm expecting the league to come down hard.   But I also agree with your point, on a contextual level, and hope nothing legal comes out of it.

No excuses for Wideman right now, but what are you talking about?  Extra jump?  You mean like he jumped to the right with the linesman going left?  

No excuses for Wideman right now, but what are you talking about?  Extra jump?  You mean like he jumped to the right with the linesman going left?  

I also dont understand this whole crosschecked him thing, yes technically its a crosscheck, but the whole media and even people on these forums making it out like he viciously crosschecked him is just odd.  Wideman will be punished but was there "intent" I dont even get why you guys are dumping on him.

I also dont understand this whole crosschecked him thing, yes technically its a crosscheck,

....?

No excuses for Wideman right now, but 

but nothing...imho.

To a point, anyway.   I think whatever league decision is made, should be accepted gracefully and without arguement.  Unless they make it a legal matter.

....?

but nothing...imho.

To a point, anyway.   I think whatever league decision is made, should be accepted gracefully and without arguement.  Unless they make it a legal matter.

There is no way in hell they want to go this route.

Lawyers would have a field day in such things like why wasn't the head shot / concussion protocols that are in place enforced. No the NHL won't go near that direction at all.

The NHL is going to keep this under wraps and suspend him because contact was made with an official. Unless they can find some evidence of intent he will get 3 games or 10 games....

There is no way in hell they want to go this route.

Lawyers would have a field day in such things like why wasn't the head shot / concussion protocols that are in place enforced. No the NHL won't go near that direction at all.

The NHL is going to keep this under wraps and suspend him because contact was made with an official. Unless they can find some evidence of intent he will get 3 games or 10 games....

I would tend to agree with all of this...although I could see more games.  (and as an Austin Matthews fan...that's ...ok, lol)

As long as they don't go the legal route I think we should just accept it and move on.  If they go the legal route...then things get messy.  And hypothetical...and all that jazz.

But highly unlikely.

I would tend to agree with all of this...although I could see more games.  (and as an Austin Matthews fan...that's ...ok, lol)

As long as they don't go the legal route I think we should just accept it and move on.  If they go the legal route...then things get messy.  And hypothetical...and all that jazz.

But highly unlikely.

You might be right JJ. The more I think about this becoming a media frenzy thing, the more I consider it possible they try to make a example of him. The NHL could easily go the tough route just because so many media areas have voiced their concerns and condemnations.

You might be right JJ. The more I think about this becoming a media frenzy thing, the more I consider it possible they try to make a example of him. The NHL could easily go the tough route just because so many media areas have voiced their concerns and condemnations.

So, you think this might turn into a kangaroo court to satisfy the media? If they go the legal route, they're going to open themselves up to a lot of bad things. The "fight" with Holtby getting assaulted by Emery comes to mind as the skeleton that could be dragged out again.

*Sigh* I didn't want to touch this forum again, but I saw Deeds had posted and he's usually a reasonable guy.

So, you think this might turn into a kangaroo court to satisfy the media? If they go the legal route, they're going to open themselves up to a lot of bad things. The "fight" with Holtby getting assaulted by Emery comes to mind as the skeleton that could be dragged out again.

*Sigh* I didn't want to touch this forum again, but I saw Deeds had posted and he's usually a reasonable guy.

Not necessarily a kangaroo court, but with all the press getting everyone into a frenzy they might just decide to come down hard on Wideman.

I doubt the NHL would want the disipline to get outside the scop of the NHL in any way. 

I can see them deciding to get tough though from the optics of the situation.

Not necessarily a kangaroo court, but with all the press getting everyone into a frenzy they might just decide to come down hard on Wideman.

I doubt the NHL would want the disipline to get outside the scop of the NHL in any way. 

Based on what we've just witnessed with the whole ASG fiasco and how the NHL handled John Scott (which with the players' help turned out great, BTW), I don't have a lot of confidence the NHL has a clue to the public perceptions and may dismiss Wideman with a very minor penalty, if any.  

Personally I have a hard time figuring that Wideman would do that intentionally without being somehow impaired from the previous hit.  But he says he wasn't and unless symptoms arise since then how do you overrule that testimony?  Messy situation, I think he should get 10 games.

The NHLPA will get involved with any suspension, so I can't see them using this as an example.  Any more than 3, and this will be a nightmare for Bettman.

Indefinite suspension = in-person hearing.

Not necessarily true in thie case. Wideman was always going to have an in-person hearing and the only reason he was indefinitly suspended was because of the All Star Game. If it weren't for the ASG they likely would have had the hearing ASAP. The hearing is being booked based on the incident not based on the indefinte suspension. 

I agree with People that this means Wideman will receive at least 5 games and IMO it will probably be more. I'm expecting in the 6-8 game ratio. He doens't qualify for the automatic 10 game suspension based on the rules but he is really close so I think the NHL will take that as a guideline and just bump it down a little. 

Indefinite suspension = in-person hearing.

Not necessarily true in thie case. Wideman was always going to have an in-person hearing and the only reason he was indefinitly suspended was because of the All Star Game. If it weren't for the ASG they likely would have had the hearing ASAP. The hearing is being booked based on the incident not based on the indefinte suspension. 

I agree with People that this means Wideman will receive at least 5 games and IMO it will probably be more. I'm expecting in the 6-8 game ratio. He doens't qualify for the automatic 10 game suspension based on the rules but he is really close so I think the NHL will take that as a guideline and just bump it down a little. 

I think it's part of the CBA.

Phone hearing = maximum 5 game suspension

In Person hearing = minimum 5 game suspension

There will never be a case where a player has an in-person hearing and gets a 2 game suspension and likewise, there will never be a case where a player has a phone hearing and gets a 10 game suspension.

I think it's part of the CBA.

Phone hearing = maximum 5 game suspension

In Person hearing = minimum 5 game suspension

There will never be a case where a player has an in-person hearing and gets a 2 game suspension and likewise, there will never be a case where a player has a phone hearing and gets a 10 game suspension.

I don't think that is the case.  I believe that the "if the suspension could exceed 5 games" is the wording used, not a minimum of 5 games.

The Burkie factor (appearance) should shave a few games off.  If he takes a box of timbits and a few extra tall double doubles that should shave a few more games off.  That should get it down to 5 games.

He may have his tie tied.  The media will have a field day if he does.

I think he'll get 5-10 games. I'm not even sure a lot of ppl will really miss him as he's been considered a defensive liability for most of this season. On the positive this will bring the next man up, maybe we uncover chemistry with a new defensive pairing. I still believe Wideman has trade value even with his heavy contract but his numbers last season might justify his worth to teams

I think he'll get 5-10 games. I'm not even sure a lot of ppl will really miss him as he's been considered a defensive liability for most of this season. On the positive this will bring the next man up, maybe we uncover chemistry with a new defensive pairing. I still believe Wideman has trade value even with his heavy contract but his numbers last season might justify his worth to teams

Sorry to break the news to you, but.....

He remains part of the 23 man roster.  We have one player to send down prior to Ferland playing as it is.  The only way we can recall a player is by sending down another.

I was reading an article written by Mark Spector, where he figured that this whole situation could get very ugly if Wideman gets less than 10 games.

He said that the referees union are keeping quiet for now and are waiting to see the results but if they don't like the results and feel like the league is disrespecting them, that this could go to whole other level.

Sorry to break the news to you, but.....

He remains part of the 23 man roster. We have one player to send down prior to Ferland playing as it is. The only way we can recall a player is by sending down another.

Yeah I'm aware he's still on the roster was just saying with the remaining D men we have its gonna force one of them to eat up more minutes. Perhaps by juggling around some of the current pairings would generate some surprise chemistry we had either overlooked or just never attempted yet. Hamilton will likely see an increase in playtime which is great

Archived