Wideman Suspended

Carty

Shouldn't referees have their own insurance that will pay for these kind of career ending injuries?  

Hockey is not the only contact sport where referees can get seriously injured.  How do referees from other sports protect themselves from these kind of occupational hazards?  Their unions insure them?  I'm wondering like if a UFC referee gets accidentally intentionally KO'd by a fighter, what happens?  What about an NFL referee who gets plowed accidentally on purpose?  What about other sports?

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding of the Calgary Flames involvement is strictly between the Government of Alberta and Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation for medical cost recovery only (I distinctly recall hearing Kerr and Steinberg heavily emphasizing this on the day the story broke).  Everything else is between Henderson and Wideman

20 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Problem for the Flames is the association with this.  Mud sticks. 

Question is In hindsight but could they have terminated Wideman's contract for his actions in that game?   Not saying they should have just wondered if they could.

Don't think it would fly even if they tried, Wideman restates he had a concussion, and both Wideman and the NHLPA go after the Flames...

Then there are the ramifications with it possibly affecting free agent signings, or a player waiving his NMC to be traded to the Flames, or putting the Flames on their list of teams on their list of teams they can not be traded to...

It's a no win situation...

The lawsuit could take a while, even just to reach a settlement...  Since it's a cash grab, hopefully it ends sooner rather than later, Henderson settles, takes his ill gotten gains and disappears somewhere...   Best case scenario, the refs union feels Henderson has been compensated enough, Wideman is no longer a Flame, and they quit directly associating him with the team and stop taking it out on the Flames...

It seems to me Henderson has bitten off something he'll regret. The officials union will have no choice but to reluctantly back him but that's all he's got.

On the other side & Wideman who'll be backed by the NHLPA & the Flames who will be backed by the NHL. Neither the NHL nor NHLPA wants a precedent opening the door to any official playing out the string due to age sueing to try to get $s for a retirement on top of his pensions. Officials are paid by the league & like players have to accept that there is a certain amount of physicality involved every time they step on the ice. We see officials bumped or hit by shots so it's an accepted part of their job. The lawsuit probably breaches a clause in his contract which for a lenient judge could have terminated his employment & benefits the day it was filed.

13 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Problem for the Flames is the association with this.  Mud sticks. 

Question is In hindsight but could they have terminated Wideman's contract for his actions in that game?   Not saying they should have just wondered if they could.

I doubt they could do this. Legal contract. They also had to let the NHL/NHLPA bargained procedures to play out.

If you remember they took the stand of supporting their player. How could they possibly keep the teams confidence if they threw Wideman under the bus and terminated his contract even if they had a right to do so??

13 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I doubt they could do this. Legal contract. They also had to let the NHL/NHLPA bargained procedures to play out.

If you remember they took the stand of supporting their player. How could they possibly keep the teams confidence if they threw Wideman under the bus and terminated his contract even if they had a right to do so??

All in hindsight - but could the club have handled it differntly?    I get the support the player bit BUT his actions were wrong.

I can't remember, but did the club come out and state that Widemans hit on the linesman, concussion or not, was unacceptable?   Did we set ourselves up for some long term "Curse of Wideman"  by taking the players side.

Did/Do the other players really support Wideman in this?  Or did they think what a bonehead thing to do and he deserves what is coming to him.   Of course publicaly the players stick together but if he had been my team mate I would be livid with him for his stupidty.

A few years ago England had a rugby player who did some stupid things.  He was immediately dropped from the squad as his actions were detrimental to the team and sport.

No idea what the players contract says but if you or me under a contract of employment struck out at someone in charge, pretty sure our employment would be terminated.

As I said this is all in hindsight but I question how managment handled it and I have never been convinced it was concussion.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I concur with Alberta boy12 that the issue is beginning to get ridiculous; but if indeed this is a serious issue then whatever happened in 2004 to the Calgary Flames should be serious enough to warrant suspension to someone too.  That had been sheer negligence and nobody had the courtesy to apologize or accept their mistakes. That was totally unacceptable.   

• 4 months later...
35 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Talk about insult to injury --  so not only did Henderson not get any money in his attempted lawsuit

Now he has to pay the Flames and Wideman  $11,000

Ouch

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-henderson-ordered-cover-legal-costs-wideman-flames/

Good. They all get talked into lawsuits by these American lawyers who would sue their own Grandmother for a buck.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Talk about insult to injury --  so not only did Henderson not get any money in his attempted lawsuit

Ouch

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-henderson-ordered-cover-legal-costs-wideman-flames/

So, do we receive a penalty before the first regular season game even starts? Will the Wideman effect become even more impactful next year? This was a significant decision by the judge in the case. They might feel more vulnerable, and they already feel that way with rule changes and decisions being made in the centre of the universe.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Ouch

Never should have been a lawsuit in the first place.  Good on the judge.  Don't all these guys have insurance to cover injuries?  And didn't the NHL already deal with this?  

53 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Never should have been a lawsuit in the first place.  Good on the judge.  Don't all these guys have insurance to cover injuries?  And didn't the NHL already deal with this?  

I suspect it was all about the NHL having deep pockets combined with a few cases that went in favour of injured players. 

16 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I suspect it was all about the NHL having deep pockets combined with a few cases that went in favour of injured players. 

It was a frivolous lawsuit.

Are the refs unionized?

If so, the union totally misguided Henderson.

Which is why I think they must be.

Bad advice every step of the way.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

It was a frivolous lawsuit.

Are the refs unionized?

If so, the union totally misguided Henderson.

Which is why I think they must be.

Bad advice every step of the way.

It was frivolous for sure.  Maybe not near as bad as some that are settled.

He should have sued the ice makers for making the ice too hard.  

Some lawyer out there wanted a 1/3 of something, thinking that the NHL would pony up.

Archived