Wideman Suspended

Carty

But what if he's not Christian?

In regards to legal matters, a good lawyer should be able to bring doctors to the stand and have them explain to the judge that brain injury victims aren't always aware their brain is injured. Then after that, the lawyer can point to Wideman's post-game interview as nonsensical comments due to brain trauma during the game. Therefore, his entire post-game interview should be thrown out as evidence of anything.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

My whole point was that what he said in the interview is irrelevant and shouldn't/won't be considered at the hearing. Why? Because he wasn't providing testimony (he wasn't sworn in and hadn't taken an oath,) and what he said can't be taken as truth.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing he might have recognized was play was coming back from the other end to ours and he was trying to get out of the way but didn't notice the official. Then last second tried to get out of the way and braced himself. To me it looks like he tried to stay as close to the boards and out of the line of play as possible.

But then that negates the idea his head was down the hole time, or could he have meant down the ice watching play the whole time?

What is it about the incident that has fans from the hockey world galvanized against Wideman?  Are these the same people that cheer when a ref takes a tumble after a number of calls against the home team?  Or the fans that do a polite clap when a ref gets up after a possible injury?

People see what they want to see.  A neutral fans may look and think he tried to avoid contact and put up his hands to push off. Another may look and see viciousness in the "attack".  The MSM seems to be equally divided.  ESPN calling him garbage.  Some analysts questioning the optics and saying it looked more accidental than overt.  Fans from other teams using a "twitter attack" to have it go their way.  

In the end, there will be no decision that satisfies people.  The NHLPA will file if it goes down hard.  The zebra union may appeal (if they are allowed) if too soft.  Fans will boo him wherever he plays.  There is no good solution unless the NHL uses it as a soapbox for concussion protocol.  Fine the team, minor suspension to the player (if at all).  Recommend changes to mandatory quiet period.

Take it out of discipline and turn it into protecting the player from themselves and everyone on the ice.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

My whole point was that what he said in the interview is irrelevant and shouldn't/won't be considered at the hearing. Why? Because he wasn't providing testimony (he wasn't sworn in and hadn't taken an oath,) and what he said can't be taken as truth.

I agree with you.

There is no good solution unless the NHL uses it as a soapbox for concussion protocol.  Fine the team, minor suspension to the player (if at all).

I would think that the Flames might very well take the approach that they should have initiated concussion protocol (and they should have) and try and shoulder the blame saying it is the organization that should be taking the responsibility and a fine...

I just don't think with the pressure the league is under it will fly...

I would think that the Flames might very well take the approach that they should have initiated concussion protocol (and they should have) and try and shoulder the blame saying it is the organization that should be taking the responsibility and a fine...

I just don't think with the pressure the league is under it will fly...

I hate social media for it's ability to shape public opinion.  It has a place in this world, but too many people with their own agendas to be a real survey of true beliefs.

20 Games for Wideman........

Wow they threw the book at him. I suspect he will appeal that for sure. I thought max he deserved was 12-15 games which if he appeals they may reduce it down to. This had to be big though, you had to send a really strong message. 

Wow they threw the book at him. I suspect he will appeal that for sure.

Yep.  I assume they can elect to go with an independent review of this?  Heard that mentioned.  The NHLPA will definitely get involved.

1. Wideman has right to appeal to Bettman. Then he can further appeal to neutral arbitrator if suspension is still 6 or more games from Bettman

1 retweet0 likes

Retweet

More

Wow they threw the book at him. I suspect he will appeal that for sure. I thought max he deserved was 12-15 games which if he appeals they may reduce it down to. This had to be big though, you had to send a really strong message.

Not overly surprised about this.

So explanation from NHL is that he was suspended under Rule 40 and becuase he got 20 games then clearly the NHL ruled that this was done with intent. Friedman had mentioned he dind't think Rule 40 applied because in order for it to apply you needed to be asseed a match penalty but appers that is not the case.  Speficialy it look like they applied this definition:

(For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2015-2016-Interactive-rulebook.pdf

So apperas that the NHL basically rejected Wideman's defence about feeling woozy which I can't say I disagree with. Reading that, even if Wideman appealed i'm not so sure he would win. Section 40 is pretty black and white as to what the penalties are so unless he can argue that either 1- Section 40 shouldn't apply becuase he was not given a penalty or 2- argue there was no intent at all or that he had no idea he was finishign a check I don't think he is going to win his appeal. 

He was clearly judged based on the two hand contact to the back of the linesman's head and this is out of context.

His path was the door of the bench.  The linesman backed into his path at full speed.  Wideman sees him in the very last minute and raised his arms up to brace himself from impact.  Contact was made but Wideman needed to rush off the ice and onto the bench because his teammate has already jumped onto the ice to change for him.

Did he raise his arms up high to the head area?  Yes.  Was the intent to deck the linesman?  No way.

Had Wideman instead bear hugged the linesman and they both fell down together due to inertia and the linesman became a paraplegic as a result of the fall, then Wideman would walk away scott-free.

Pretty harsh but not entirely unexpected based on the footage. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise and Nakladal has a stellar showing for the next 20 games. Really does affect any potential trade value he may have carried into TDL. In reality ppl shouldn't be surprised, it's an automatic and mandatory suspension. NHL doesn't want a legal issue if it doesn't follow thru with protecting its officials. Losing Gio last year was a bigger blow then this IMO

Lesson learned for Wideman, maybe it is better to just punch a zebra in the face...

On the same night before the All Star break, Lucic hits a ref and gets no fine, no suspension...   Is he not responsible for where his fist goes when he throws it in anger?...

e16f8c7fce46ce992b16ea91e8328f79.gif

He also tagged a zebra in November 2014...

SwCuoSJ.0.gif

Then he tried to throw a glove at Prout, but nails the ref with it instead...

wfnZJiw.0.gif

So it looks like Lucic gets the benefit of the doubt and Wideman gets the hangman's noose...   I call BS shenanigans...

https://www.nhl.com/news/dennis-wideman-suspended/c-278258934

Apparently the league felt it was completely intentional WITH intent to injure.

He might get a few games back if his appeal is convincing, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bracing for impact by raising the hands up high was intentional but contact was made with negligence and a failure to exercise care rather than with intent to injure.

Mike Civik, former NHL Linesman, actually spoke about this on the radio the other day and clariried that these are two seperate issues. Linesman and referees have the undertanding that if they are going to go into a scrum to break up a fight it is understood that you may catch a punch accidently. If it was every found that the player punched a ref/lineman on purpose then you would have a different argument but if its done with the intent of being part of a scrum its basiclaly ruled a job hazard.

What Wideman did was to an unsuspecting linesman and had nothing to do with the play. 2 very different situations IMO and in the opinion of a former lineman in Mike Civik

Archived