Baertschi

jjgallow

I didn't like the way the organization handled him either but for a different reason. I felt since the playoffs were realistically unattainable during his time with the Flames, they should've just played Baertschi regularly and lived with his growing pains. If he sucked, then who cares, just keep believing in him even if we lose.

I know I know, this is not the "try league". It's the "get it done league." But we weren't going to make the playoffs so we should've just gave Baertschi ice time and develop him in the NHL rather than AHL.

I agree! But I feel like it should've been one or the other, not up and down. They lived with Monahans mistakes. Somewhat with Gaudreau's to a lesser degree, but they lived with mistakes on some players. Since the playoffs weren't a go, you're right, they could've mentored him better. I think that's in the NHL or AHL.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Baetschi wasn't just living with mistakes it was living with sub par efforts. As an orgnization yes you can tolerate mistakes a young player was making but Baertschi was making more than just a few mistakes he was failing to show up in alot of games and basically could not be trusted to play a 200ft game. Big different with guys lke Gaudreau, Mony and Bennett is all of them have played with a consistant effort and while all have made mistakes you can trust they will learn and improve. I never got that sense from Baertschi at all.  he had the 2/10 syndrome, he was in the league for 2 seasons but acted like a veteran. he played like he was entitled to certain things and none of the other Flame rookies who have come up have done that. 

thats where I put blame on Feaster becuase he fed those epectations and fed that entitlment with both the call up and basically proclaiming that Sven was NHL ready the following year when most knew he wasn't and should have been in the A and that was the begining of the end of this Flame career. Bad move on the Flames and Feaster but also i thought Baertschi could have handled everyting with more maturity but he was only 19 at the time. Very possible he has that maturity now and turning it into a solid NHL career.

either way i agree everthin worked out fine and I also agree that you don't get the Hamilton trade without the Baertschi trade. i can't see the Flames giving up all of their top 60 picks especially given how hard they tried to get more 1st and 2nds back after the Hamilton trade. i think they really targetted both Andersson and Kylignton becuae they felt they were both good value picks. 

I feel its also intersting to point out that while Baerschi has mor goals then he ever did with us (and is reaching his season record in assists soon), he's not really improved any since he played here. 

If you adjust his totals for an 82 game season:

Flames

2011-2012 - 49 G 00 A 49 P (based on 3 goals in 5 games)

2012-2013 - 12 G 29 A 41 P (20 games)

2013-2014 - 07 G 28 A 35 P (26 games)

2014-2015 - 00 G 22 A 22 P (15 games)

Canucks

2014-2015 - 55 G 00 A 55 P (based on 2 goals in 3 games)

2015-2016 - 17 G 17 A 34 P (34 games)

When you look at the 4 seasons where there's something of a realistic sample size (15-35 games), you find that he's doing the exact same with Vancouver as he averaged here. 

Calgary average of 33 points on an 82 game season (41, 35 and 22), and in Vancouver would get 34 points on an 82 game season. 

So...exactly the same player with a few more goals and a few fewer assists. 

He is scoring at a .411 p/gp pace so far in 34 games.  His shooting % is over 16%.  They have played 42 games, so at that pace, he would score another 16 points the rest of the season, so 15g, 15a. And that's assuming he keeps up that shooting % and stays healthy.

By contrast, Bouma scored 34 points last season.  If Baertschi manages to reach that this season, big deal.  Career year for Bouma, but not great numbers for a NHL "star".  I think we are saying the same thing.  He didn't fit the team mold, even before we got Johnny and Bennett and Jooris.  I don't think he would be a fit today either.  Sort of a Raymond without the history of scoring 20 goals. 

Baertschi did get the first assist on the game tying goal tonight. The Canucks went on to win the game, thus making it even harder for us to make the playoffs. He has been doing so the last few games as well with the points he is getting. It's hurting us this year at least a touch....

Baertschi did get the first assist on the game tying goal tonight. The Canucks went on to win the game, thus making it even harder for us to make the playoffs. He has been doing so the last few games as well with the points he is getting. It's hurting us this year at least a touch....

It's becoming a thing.  

And to those who are posting a lot of content with regards to "well, he wasn't before", or "look how bad he is if we average hits points per game over the last two years"...

Well, ok, thanks.  That's...you know, super obvious, and...also super weird?

But ok.

See that's where I thought he was going to be when he was drafted and through all the hype, a 20 goal/55 point player, I thought of him as a Hudler type player, and put up the same type of production. Now I don't see him as putting up those type numbers, he's too inconsistent, I see him as 35-45 point player in his prime.

He is only as good as the players around him, The guy was greatly over hyped, we have already proven we are further ahead without him than with him

He is only as good as the players around him, The guy was greatly over hyped, we have already proven we are further ahead without him than with him

That could be said about every player outside of the elite of league. I wouldn't consider that a valid argument. 

He is scoring at a .411 p/gp pace so far in 34 games.  His shooting % is over 16%.  They have played 42 games, so at that pace, he would score another 16 points the rest of the season, so 15g, 15a. And that's assuming he keeps up that shooting % and stays healthy.

Something clicked for him... and he's playing at a level above where he started the year... 

It's an extremely small sample of outstanding play... but its promising and exciting.

He's at 35 gms, 7g, 8a, 15pts.

Statistically, the gears shifted as of Dec 18th... but his good play started a week or so prior before he was rewarded on scoresheet... where he was looking much better and you could feel he was on the verge of being rewarded.

First 27 gms : 28 sog, 2g, 7 pts, -3, 0.26 PPG just 7 gms where he breached 13 mins of ice time (2 were gms 1 and 2, and 3 were gms 25,26,27).

Last 8 gms : 16 sog, 5g, 8pts, +5, 1PPG, every game but the 2 he was banged up in were over 13 mins, 3 gms over 15 mins of ice.

Ice time is treading up... Last 3 games have been over 14 mins... last game was a season high 16:05. (edit, season high was 5 gms ago at 16:17, but point stands)

I don't think he'll continue with a PPG run... but 0.41 PPG pace seems like an understatement.  Would be disappointed with that after watching what he's capable of.  He's a lock on the PP now, which he wasn't the first 2 and half months of the season, and he'll get his ice.. 

It's promising.

Something clicked for him... and he's playing at a level above where he started the year... 

It's an extremely small sample of outstanding play... but its promising and exciting.

Statistically, the gears shifted as of Dec 18th... but his good play started a week or so prior before he was rewarded on scoresheet... where he was looking much better and you could feel he was on the verge of being rewarded.

First 27 gms : 28 sog, 2g, 7 pts, -3, 0.26 PPG just 7 gms where he breached 13 mins of ice time (2 were gms 1 and 2, and 3 were gms 25,26,27).

Last 8 gms : 16 sog, 5g, 8pts, +5, 1PPG, every game but the 2 he was banged up in were over 13 mins, 3 gms over 15 mins of ice.

Ice time is treading up... Last 3 games have been over 14 mins... last game was a season high 16:05. (edit, season high was 5 gms ago at 16:17, but point stands)

I don't think he'll continue with a PPG run... but 0.41 PPG pace seems like an understatement.  Would be disappointed with that after watching what he's capable of.  He's a lock on the PP now, which he wasn't the first 2 and half months of the season, and he'll get his ice.. 

It's promising.

That's Brandon $utter country.   :lol:

It's promising.

From a fan's perspective, it can look like he is figuring it out.  But he will again disappear for games at a time.  I suspect that he will have good games where there is lots of skating room, and struggle against teams like the Kings, Ducks, Wild, Blues, Stars, etc.  

The other side of the equation is whether he can be on the ice and not give up goals.  If he routinely gets 1 or 2 points and is either even or +1, then he still needs some work.

From a fan's perspective, it can look like he is figuring it out. But he will again disappear for games at a time. I suspect that he will have good games where there is lots of skating room, and struggle against teams like the Kings, Ducks, Wild, Blues, Stars, etc.

The other side of the equation is whether he can be on the ice and not give up goals. If he routinely gets 1 or 2 points and is either even or +1, then he still needs some work.

The most plesantly surprising aspect of Baerstchi's game has been his defensive play. He has been very good in his 2 way play.

Early in the season, when he wasn't scoring, his defensive play was keeping him on the ice.

It's the most consistent part of his game..

Considering the Flames fan feedback on him at the time of trade, this is probably the most annoying thing to hear.

Early in the season he consistently moved the puck up the ice... just couldn't earn his time or space to do anything with the puck in the O zone.. gets put on the PP, gets a little confidence, and boom... pts.

But yeah. .. as long as he remains defensively solid and keep the coach's trust, he'll keep getting mins during his offensively surpressed swings...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Canucks seem to be generally happy with Baertschi's play lately.

I'm glad that he is finally starting to figure out what being a Pro hockey player is.

I am eager to see Rasmus Andersson in a Flames jersey in about two years.

A strong, mobile RHRD who can put up points AND clear the front of the net, will fit in nicely on the the Flames roster

A decent trade for both teams.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not to mention where was the update when he had 1 goal and 5 points in his first 18 games?

On a team where no one gets points. 

I still think we fudged his development. Although a part of it is on the player too. I still hope he can get to where he should be... Which I think is about a 50 point player.

Archived