Baertschi

jjgallow

Any idea where all the Baertschi threads went?   I know the forum underwent massive spring cleaning.

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/21401-trade-baertschi-to-canucks-for-2nd-round-pick/

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/21106-sven-baertschi/page-74

I personally believe it's still a valuable topic, although I don't know if it belongs in the Flames thread, or the NHL thread...or maybe somewhere else?

He was prolific in the pre-season, and earned his first NHL point this year, against us.

Just a gut feelling here, I don't think the Baertschi discussion is going away anytime soon.  It's looking to me, based on his play, that it may continue to heat up all season.

Requesting a thread be found, or unlocked, or..started...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved because Baertschi isn't a Flame anymore.

I'll see if I can find the old thread, but i don't make any promises.

EDIT: found 2 links

locked, and won't be unlocked, in Flames Talk: http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/21106-sven-baertschi/

unlocked, and still open for discussion, in NHL Trades: http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/21401-trade-baertschi-to-canucks-for-2nd-round-pick/

Who cares? Do we also have a Brendan Sutter thread? Have a Brandon Prust thread? Both ex-Flames and there are many more. Whether they do good or bad they aren't Flames any more. If you want to follow them go find a thread on their current team's (Canucks) site.

Um, firstly:

I'm not sure if you've read the above or not, but the more important discrepancy at this point in time is whether the entire NHL Trades section of the forum, which was quite large, still exists or not for regular users (ie., is it a decision, or a technical glitch).

secondly:  Baertschi was a first round pick whom the Flames pinned many hopes on for several years, wrongly or rightly.  Any Flames player of his popularity who was traded, had a trade thread that continued on for some time after.

Um, firstly:

I'm not sure if you've read the above or not, but the more important discrepancy at this point in time is whether the entire NHL Trades section of the forum, which was quite large, still exists or not for regular users (ie., is it a decision, or a technical glitch).

secondly:  Baertschi was a first round pick whom the Flames pinned many hopes on for several years, wrongly or rightly.  Any Flames player of his popularity who was traded, had a trade thread that continued on for some time after.

I find it frustrating to look for a thread and find it archived and basically closed for posting. The Sven threads are a fair example of this hurdle.

This process makes it near impossible to resurrect a thread for just about any purpose good or bad. Often time will blurr the feelings of the posters at that time. The Robyn Regehr trade is a good example. Hotly debated at the time but we look back on him now with little thanks for the many years service he gave to our club.

I was one of the Baertschi supporters. I think this kid was caught up in the Feaster hype engine and then put through a roller coaster ringer as the new management came online.

But it's in the past. And this organization has shown tremendous recent success in developing prospects. No organization is going to get them all right. Complaining about one "what if" in light of all of the success seems a bit silly to me.

I think it really comes down to that successful or not, Baertschi doesn't fit the mold of the type of player the Flames are trying to fashion this team around. He was going to be tough to sign in the summer, he wanted a different opportunity, and he didn't fit the Flames mold so he was moved.

If he puts up 60 points this year (unlikely) I know I won't be coming back to say told you so. I could. But there really isn't a point to it.

I was one of the Baertschi supporters. I think this kid was caught up in the Feaster hype engine and then put through a roller coaster ringer as the new management came online.

But it's in the past. And this organization has shown tremendous recent success in developing prospects. No organization is going to get them all right. Complaining about one "what if" in light of all of the success seems a bit silly to me.

I think it really comes down to that successful or not, Baertschi doesn't fit the mold of the type of player the Flames are trying to fashion this team around. He was going to be tough to sign in the summer, he wanted a different opportunity, and he didn't fit the Flames mold so he was moved.

If he puts up 60 points this year (unlikely) I know I won't be coming back to say told you so. I could. But there really isn't a point to it.

There are a number of us that supported Baertschi.  The threads became a place where some trashed his character or his work ethic.  Or would argue his inability to translate his junior career to the NHL.

I am fine with letting this one go.  We got a prospect out of the deal.  Baertschi wanted out of the organization and we don't have a player that doesn't fit the new look Flames.  

(Now if they could turn Raymond into more than an occasional offensive-only threat, I would be happier)

All the best to him (so long as it's not against the Flames). Sometimes players just need a chance to start over. I think he's got that chance in Vancouver. What he does with it now is up to him. I was hoping he became a bit more than he did for us. Andersson for Baertschi might not be too bad a deal considering how Andersson looked in training camp.

Sven Baertschi was not a "complete player" in Juniors.  He cherry picked and had a great first stride to get around slow skating D.  He was always the first guy to the leave defensive zone and bolt up the boards.  He was a dangerous scorer off the rush, and less so on the cycle.  He played on a stacked Junior team where he can afford to play a purely offensive style of game because many others were able to play the defensive role for him.

That's Sven Baertschi.

After the Flames drafted him, we basically told him, "we don't like you.  You must change into somebody that you're not so that we can like you."  And he eventually flashed the Flames organization the finger.  I never understood why we drafted him when we didn't want him the way he was.  Baertschi is who he is.  He's now in a place that loves him for him and that's good for him.  We got back a second round pick (Rasmus Andersson) and both teams win in my opinion.

I agree with People's take, I think both teams won and while I am open and happy to discuss Sven as a player I really hope this doesn't turn into a "what the Flames should have done differently take". Let's remember it was Baertschi, not the Flames, that initiated this process by telling them he was not going to play for them anymore, so the Flames traded him and I think both organization won. I like Rasmus Andersson and I think his impact for the Flames could be as high as Baertschi impacts Vancouver. It's a win/win.

In terms of him as a player, I have to say the two games so far this yera have been typical Baertschi. You see your flashes of brillance, but you also see a player who is lazy on the backcheck and basically next to useless in his own zone. So while you can see that he has some of his confidence back offensivly you still have not seen the defensive improvement you would want to see from him at this point of his career.

Agree with both People and Cross.

While Baertschi is a decent player and will probably have a decent NHL career he is far from the player he was billed to be. Unless he learns the 200 foot game he will never flourish in this league. We were bamboozled by Feaster with all the hype he surrounded the kid with. We were unaware of the holes he had in his game and a lot of people were ready to anoint him the savior of the Flames. When push came to shove and Hartley told him how it was going to be in order to play for the Flames he got his pout on. That's a bad character trait to have as a player. You need to be mentally tough and ready to learn. Baertschi does not possess this skill set in my opinion. He's still young however and he can change, if he really wants to. Maybe he needs to hear it from a different source for it to sink in.

And I agree while both teams won the trade, I think we may have a slight edge in impact players.

We were bamboozled by Feaster with all the hype he surrounded the kid with.

Isn't that a little unfair? I'm not singling you out, Wrek, but I hear this a lot. It's not as though JF pulled the wool over our eyes. He believed in his scouts, and he drafted accordingly. He legitimately believed that Sven would be the player that he sold in the media. JF misjudged the player, and the player didn't deliver. If anyone feels bamboozled, maybe they should stop drinking the Kool Aid. We live in an age where we can watch our prospects in real time.

Love.

FYI...

Best part of Baertschi's game this season thru 3 games has been his defensive game.

He's been very good on the backcheck. Smart stick..

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata haven't been on track in 5on5 play yet... so they get busted up for tonight's game.

Tonight we see..

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

The Canucks' version of a kid line.  Our second look at it...

The first time didn't count since it was preseason vs the Oilers...

Baertschi 4 assists, Virtanen and Horvat with 3 pts each.. but again.. Oilers.

It appears I've created a new Baertschi discussion thread lol....

Sorry to admins, that wasn't really my intent.  But clearly the topic is not dead.   Not sure if that's the bigger issue, or the fact that the Flames Trades section is gone (at least for regular users).    What we gonnna do when we trade a goalie? :)

iHNge3gi_normal.jpeg

@FarhanLaljiTSN  
Willie on Baertschi possibly getting scratched tomorrow: "This isn't a 'try' league, it's a 'gotta get it done' league" #Canucks

Seems like the Vancovuer Canucks have the same Sven Baertschi the Flames had....

In my post in this thread(#12) I said that Baertschi needs to hear this message from another source. Well, there it is folks. Is he going to get all sour again or will he man up and use this criticism to improve his game? If things go this year for him like they have the last few years here in Calgary, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pack it in and go play in Europe.

In my post in this thread(#12) I said that Baertschi needs to hear this message from another source. Well, there it is folks. Is he going to get all sour again or will he man up and use this criticism to improve his game? If things go this year for him like they have the last few years here in Calgary, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pack it in and go play in Europe.

I can't say that I watched the game against LA.  They have a number of rookies that are being tried out.  

I thought the issue with Baertschi in Calgary was that he wasn't trying.  He was slightly less than a p/gp player here.  That seems to be a different message than in VAN.  

Is the message to Bennett here "don't try, just get it done"?  Jeez I hope not.

The issue with Baertschi has been two fold IMO. 1- lack of attention to detail in his defensive game and 2- in consistancy with his efforts and results. He can be great one shift and then next to invisble the next. I've never thought, nor do I think its fair for a fan, to accuse a player of not trying. Baertschi always seem to come into camp in good shape so I don't believe it was ever a case of not trying but you can work as hard as you want and if you can't get results your not helping the team. The Canucks would have no problems finding a player who will get into their lineup and work his tail off, they need guys who work their tails off AND get it done. Thats what Desjardins meant, we arn't going to reward this guy just for trying hard we are going to work him when he starts producing for us.

That's been Baertschi's issue for quite some time now. He doesn't seem to understand or be able to get his game to a point where his work ethich and his performance match. One is always there at the expense of the other.

I'm not trying to come across as vindictive to Baertschi either and am not hoping that he fails or anything like that. I'd have no problem with him becoming a good player in Vancouver i'm just very interested to see how it goes. I agree with Wrecking that once he was "called out" perse by the Flames brass he never seemed to be able to get back on track and when he was traded he seemed to suggest things would be different. If they are trending towards the same i'm going to be very interested to see how he responds.

• 2 months later...

Archived