Baertschi

jjgallow

10 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I remember when Jeremy Roenick was on the trading block as a UFA. He openly admitted to sending a fax to every Canadian team stating that he had no interest in playing in Canada, so don't bother attempting trying to trade for him. Perhaps he was worried that his ego might not fit through the border. 

Good old JR. Is he still trying to be the American version of Don Cherry?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I remember when Jeremy Roenick was on the trading block as a UFA. He openly admitted to sending a fax to every Canadian team stating that he had no interest in playing in Canada, so don't bother attempting trying to trade for him. Perhaps he was worried that his ego might not fit through the border. 

Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about...   I won't have Roenick on my team either...

I think the era of fleecing another team was over a long time ago. I rarely ever sweat a trade because we seriously lost it. At times, I do get concerned that we fail to properly choose or develop a player. That is going to happen given there is still no perfect measure of potential. Even the Red Wings would admit that. 

Also, trades need to be interpreted in their fullness. My memory might be failing me, but did we not get Mike Bullard for little, then trade him for Gilmour, and then lose Gilmour for Leeman and a few others? My point is that sometimes teams need to make crappy trades for a variety of reasons. The worst trade was for Leeman, and we had no option but to lose Gilmour. So, when people freak about someone like Granlund or Baertschi, my response is, meh. Baertschi does not have the same level of determination and desire as does many of our current players. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Start of the season the LW depth was

Gaudreau - Tkachuk - Ferland - Bouma. Now it's Gaudreau - tkachuk - Versteeg - Bouma. 

I honestly don't think Granlund would have made this team and I think the Flames knew it. You can question the return they got if you want but I think it was absolutely the right call to move him when they did. They likely don't get the same return if they wait until camp and then have to risk putting him on waivers. 

And again, before we get too excited about Granlund's points remember that Sam Bennett is out producing him 5 on 5 and Granlund definitely would not have been a PP option here. 

Oh! I am not worried about  Bennett. He gets almost zero pp time and so of course he won't get any momentum. 

I think a lot are overreacting to his production. 

I get what you say. Maybe granlund could've played right. But I am not too worried either. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Oh! I am not worried about  Bennett. He gets almost zero pp time and so of course he won't get any momentum. 

I think a lot are overreacting to his production. 

I get what you say. Maybe granlund could've played right. But I am not too worried either. 

Bennett is a work in progress and he is putting in the work. The results are starting to show lately and should continue, these younger players are learning on the job, they are not stars immediately. Bennett may see even more changes if management sees him more as a LW after this season, even then he will have a better understanding of what the C position does within the systems. I think both Granlund and Baertschi are fortunate to be getting the ice time in VAN only because their rebuild has just began, They are making the most of it and good for them, as cross said they wouldn't have gotten that time here. Same goes for Byron in MON. different circumstances and he is getting more ice time and opportunity, our mode when that choice was made was to get bigger.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Bennett is a work in progress and he is putting in the work. The results are starting to show lately and should continue, these younger players are learning on the job, they are not stars immediately. Bennett may see even more changes if management sees him more as a LW after this season, even then he will have a better understanding of what the C position does within the systems. I think both Granlund and Baertschi are fortunate to be getting the ice time in VAN only because their rebuild has just began, They are making the most of it and good for them, as cross said they wouldn't have gotten that time here. Same goes for Byron in MON. different circumstances and he is getting more ice time and opportunity, our mode when that choice was made was to get bigger.

I agree. We could've stayed a smaller team by keeping them. I think management was asking Baertschi to do what he couldn't do. Because of it, he was expendable. He is just not an in your face player.

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree. We could've stayed a smaller team by keeping them. I think management was asking Baertschi to do what he couldn't do. Because of it, he was expendable. He is just not an in your face player.

or wouldn't do

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps playoff calibre hockey would be more fun than scoring meaningless goals.

I have to admit, the Flames are on quite the tear.   Hopefully they keep this up...it's impressive.

I would assume that either way, Granlund and Baertschi are happier where they are because they're getting opportunity.

If they continue to become NHL regulars, and it's certainly looking that way...they'll end up wanting a contender just like every other NHL vet.    But my guess is Baertschi would prefer the NHL to the AHL, and Granlund....harder to say, but likely prefers the opportunity For Now.

I am not surprised that they are making it on this Vancouver squad. I expect that a few of our AHL players would make that club right now. To put my question differently, would you rather be an average-to-good player on a team going nowhere, or contribute to a team on an exciting run and at least making the playoffs?

13 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I have to admit, the Flames are on quite the tear.   Hopefully they keep this up...it's impressive.

I would assume that either way, Granlund and Baertschi are happier where they are because they're getting opportunity.

If they continue to become NHL regulars, and it's certainly looking that way...they'll end up wanting a contender just like every other NHL vet.    But my guess is Baertschi would prefer the NHL to the AHL, and Granlund....harder to say, but likely prefers the opportunity For Now.

Neither guy played that good as a Flame under Hartley.  Granlund is a scorer, and would have done well here as a winger on Bennett's line.  The other problem was his waiver status.  He wasn't a good enough center to keep and we would have been forced to sit or play him.  Baerrtschi, well he wanted out, so bu bye.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am not surprised that they are making it on this Vancouver squad. I expect that a few of our AHL players would make that club right now. To put my question differently, would you rather be an average-to-good player on a team going nowhere, or contribute to a team on an exciting run and at least making the playoffs?

I get what you are saying. I also agree. 

Like me when everyone who thought Bouma was a bonified 2nd or 3rd liner, but if it were not for Backlund, bouma would be at a better wage for us. 

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I get what you are saying. I also agree. 

Like me when everyone who thought Bouma was a bonified 2nd or 3rd liner, but if it were not for Backlund, bouma would be at a better wage for us. 

Also in Nucks news, they signed Drew Shore out if Europe.  Love afair with ex Flames

Archived