Flames Defense

CheersMan

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Jets are thought of as one of the few teams protecting 8 players.  Their best forwards are all young and don't meet draft requirements... So protecting 4 D.

They could go either way. If it's the 8 players protected that means 1 of Perrault or Lowry is exposed. If they go 7-3 it depends on Enstrom waiving his NMC for that last year or Myers is odd man out.

12 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

The fact remains the Flames have 3 NHL defense under contract. 3!

Does anyone want the rest filled by tweeners/rookies?

We need to sign/re-sign @ least 1 that is 4/5 worthy but I'd prefer 2 as I really don't want a 3-4 rookie mistakes on the back line @ at time.  We have the rights to Stone who fits the bill but doesn't have a case for much of a raise so pencil him in @ something like 2-2.5 x 2 or 3.

Shattenkirk is the top UFA D-man but has expressed a desire for the NY area (that means any team in the Met) & more $s than he's worth so scratch him off the list.

Alzner would be nice but again he'll get more money than his worth.

Kulikov the same.

We know Russell too well to spend $4 million on him.

Markov & Oduya will probably sign value contracts to keep playing & would be good trade bait @ the deadline but I'm not excited to see either play hard top 4 minutes. For the season before the deadline sends them to a contender they'll want the easier travel in the east.

I'll stay with a familiar in suggesting Del Zotto.

Although my 1st choice to add that top 4 is to dangle our 1st+ to Anaheim/Minnesota/Carolina for 1 of the D they can't protect. Other teams with midling picks will likely do the same but with 3 kicks @ that we should be able to land 1. Any of Fowler (4 x 1 before UFA), Dumba (2.255 x 1 then RFA) or Hanifin (ELC 0.925 & then RFA) suits me. In division makes Fowler unlikely while even in conference works against us for Dumba but Hanifin is the youngest, there is no conference extra demand & the Canes have a full pipeline @ D so probably our best chance.

Obviously we need a goalie but the better the D we put in front of him the better he looks. Especially if all skaters realize team D shouldn't take 2nd place to scoring stats for individuals. Even little Gaudreau has to fight to gain a puck.

With almost $22 million in cap space & whatever salary we lose in the draft I'd budget 8 for a pair of goalies, 8-10 for 2 defense & whatever is left for forwards as there are always budget 1s available when the smoke clears after the frenzy.

We can bridge Bennett, Lazar & Ferland pending more cap space to come.

What about Nathan Beaulieu from MON for Chiasson ? through in Poirier for a pick if he doesn't want to be here. Also I think BT should bring back Stone and Engelland. If we could get Stone at 2.5M per for a 3 year deal and Engelland for 1.8M for 1 season we would be in good shape going forward.

I'd like the Flames to try and acquire Dalton Prout from the Devils.  He is the most ideal replacement for Engellend at 27, RHS RD, bottom pair, and can be seen on YouTube dropping Milan Lucic with one punch.

I don't know what it will cost but the Devils will likely expose him via expansion.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'd like the Flames to try and acquire Dalton Prout from the Devils.  He is the most ideal replacement for Engellend at 27, RHS RD, bottom pair, and can be seen on YouTube dropping Milan Lucic with one punch.

I don't know what it will cost but the Devils will likely expose him via expansion.

If Engelland leaves we could use someone like him.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not too excited about the draft, so if we can get a top 4 D (is now one or has shown potential) using the 1st, I would be all over that.  I'm not sure why you mentioned Hanifin. He's exempt, so they have no need to trade him other than clearing a path for other players.  Anaheim may be a target, but they might not deal with us.  

Hey, just wondering why you never mentioned the Jets as a target.  Myers or Trouba won't be protected as it stands right now, if they go with 7-3-1.  I suppose they could go 8-1 and protect those guys.  Don;t know enough about the forwards to say for sure.

I should have put Hanifin in a different paragraph as the Canes don't really have to trade any D but do have a surplus of good, young 1s. What they do need is forwards (Darling probably solves the hole in goal with 1 of the 2 currently under contract being the backup) & they have the cap space to add a few via UFA &/or trade.

I wonder if our 1st in 2017 & Brouwer (some salary retention if needed) for leadership would interest them. Alternately sub Stajan (no retention) for Brouwer  for the same reason.

I'm not even sure if our 1st would tempt them as they have a pipeline filled with ELCs.

11 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I should have put Hanifin in a different paragraph as the Canes don't really have to trade any D but do have a surplus of good, young 1s. What they do need is forwards (Darling probably solves the hole in goal with 1 of the 2 currently under contract being the backup) & they have the cap space to add a few via UFA &/or trade.

I wonder if our 1st in 2017 & Brouwer (some salary retention if needed) for leadership would interest them. Alternately sub Stajan (no retention) for Brouwer  for the same reason.

I'm not even sure if our 1st would tempt them as they have a pipeline filled with ELCs.

Ok, that makes sense.

Pehaps we have some big BOOMA-ing forward that could help them with team toughness.  I know he has negative trade value due to his current salary, but he offers shot blocking and PK ability.  Or Stajan or Brouwer.  They have very little cap used for the coming year, so they need cap.  I don't know that they will be able to sign a bunch of better players in the summer.

I don't know a lot about the Canes' depth.  They have a lot of prospects I know nothing about, so I can't say where we could even send a prospect that would help.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Ok, that makes sense.

Pehaps we have some big BOOMA-ing forward that could help them with team toughness.  I know he has negative trade value due to his current salary, but he offers shot blocking and PK ability.  Or Stajan or Brouwer.  They have very little cap used for the coming year, so they need cap.  I don't know that they will be able to sign a bunch of better players in the summer.

I don't know a lot about the Canes' depth.  They have a lot of prospects I know nothing about, so I can't say where we could even send a prospect that would help.  

I'd count out the prospects (& maybe be even picks unless Francis wants to keep restocking in case of other trades) so vets (with @ least part of their salary) up front are the best to offer for a team like the Flames.

They'd probably like someone like Bennett.  I'd do it for any of Faulk, Slavin, Hanifin but only if we don't get them for players we deem more expendable.

Adding cap is easy. Just offer high on the top ender UFAs like Oshie.

With Ron Francis as GM & Rod Brindamour as associate coach you have 2 guys that lead their own NHL teams & see the value of the intangibles which is why I could see them taking on Stajan &/or Brouwer.

1 minute ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'd count out the prospects (& maybe be even picks unless Francis wants to keep restocking in case of other trades) so vets (with @ least part of their salary) up front are the best to offer for a team like the Flames.

They'd probably like someone like Bennett.  I'd do it for any of Faulk, Slavin, Hanifin but only if we don't get them for players we deem more expendable.

Adding cap is easy. Just offer high on the top ender UFAs like Oshie.

With Ron Francis as GM & Rod Brindamour as associate coach you have 2 guys that lead their own NHL teams & see the value of the intangibles which is why I could see them taking on Stajan &/or Brouwer.

I know that adding cap by signing FA's is easy, but it's not always easy to get good ones to sign to a small market team like the Canes.  Their future is fairly bright, but UFA's may not want to wait.  No guarantee we could sign Oshie either, but we are a little closer to being a contender.  

I have no issue in trading Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma, most of our defensive prospects (except maybe Kylington and Fox), and almost every forward prospect we have.  If some combo brought back a Hanifin, then fine.  We could in turn sign a guy like Franson to play with Brodie or move him back to RD and use Hanifin on the LD.  The you can use Franson as a depth RD and bring up a LD prospect.  To illustrate:

Gio-Hammy

Brodie-Franson

Hanifin-Andersson

or  

Gio-Hammy

Hanifin-Brodie

Kulak/Healey/Ollas-Mattsson-Franson

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Flames lose a hell of a penalty killer and veteran presence if they lose Engelland. But these assets may price himself to another team.

On 4.5.2017 at 4:55 PM, The_People1 said:

If Engelland decides to move on and we want to replace him with a player of similar style, I think Roman Polak could also be a decent fit.

1 hour ago, manu11 said:

If Engelland decides to move on and we want to replace him with a player of similar style, I think Roman Polak could also be a decent fit.

What would Polak cost? Wouldn't it be a bit more than Engelland?

Always comes down to how many teams are interested in his services. If multiple teams have interest, there is a good chance he will get too expensive for us to consider. But we should at least inquire about him, if Engelland is not an option next season.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:55 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

Although my 1st choice to add that top 4 is to dangle our 1st+ to Anaheim/Minnesota/Carolina for 1 of the D they can't protect. Other teams with midling picks will likely do the same but with 3 kicks @ that we should be able to land 1. Any of Fowler (4 x 1 before UFA), Dumba (2.255 x 1 then RFA) or Hanifin (ELC 0.925 & then RFA) suits me. In division makes Fowler unlikely while even in conference works against us for Dumba but Hanifin is the youngest, there is no conference extra demand & the Canes have a full pipeline @ D so probably our best chance.

Obviously we need a goalie but the better the D we put in front of him the better he looks. Especially if all skaters realize team D shouldn't take 2nd place to scoring stats for individuals. Even little Gaudreau has to fight to gain a puck.

With almost $22 million in cap space & whatever salary we lose in the draft I'd budget 8 for a pair of goalies, 8-10 for 2 defense & whatever is left for forwards as there are always budget 1s available when the smoke clears after the frenzy.

We can bridge Bennett, Lazar & Ferland pending more cap space to come.

Hanifan...that's worth a conversation.   He would be an extremely valuable piece for this team and I don't think it can be understated how badly they need someone of his calibre and age on the blue line. 

I am not sure that our 2017 pick would get it done though...it might take a 2018 pick  (much stronger draft...defence-laden actually, but past the ideal age range of this rebuild).   Or, something more near and dear to us.  Gaudreau comes to mind.   I'm not talking about 1 for 1...but it would take something like that.

And I would do it.

22 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Hanifan...that's worth a conversation.   He would be an extremely valuable piece for this team and I don't think it can be understated how badly they need someone of his calibre and age on the blue line. 

I am not sure that our 2017 pick would get it done though...it might take a 2018 pick  (much stronger draft...defence-laden actually, but past the ideal age range of this rebuild).   Or, something more near and dear to us.  Gaudreau comes to mind.   I'm not talking about 1 for 1...but it would take something like that.

And I would do it.

Hanifin AND Lindholm?

52 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Maybe.   

We could always throw in Wideman ;)

They get "face of the franchise" they lack, we get large D and RW boost.

AFTER the expansion draft though, lol.

I am in no way desperate to make this trade, so if I have to add, I laugh it off and move along.

Gaudreau's marketability alone means I don't have to trade him.

I'm not bargaining on JG, here's what I want, period.

I have no reason to trade him, so it better be very beneficial to my side.

A solid top 2D potential, top 2 potential RW in the right age range, or don't even bother calling.

• Like 1

On 2017-05-04 at 9:53 PM, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The Flames lose a hell of a penalty killer and veteran presence if they lose Engelland. But these assets may price himself to another team.

I would like to see Engelland back 2 years at 2.25m a year. I really like what he has shown this year and and feel he is a solid 6d. Bring up a couple youngsters at 5d and 7d and resign stone a show me for 2 years at 3 to 3.75 m a year. We are set on the back end.

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They get "face of the franchise" they lack, we get large D and RW boost.

AFTER the expansion draft though, lol.

I am in no way desperate to make this trade, so if I have to add, I laugh it off and move along.

Gaudreau's marketability alone means I don't have to trade him.

I'm not bargaining on JG, here's what I want, period.

I have no reason to trade him, so it better be very beneficial to my side.

A solid top 2D potential, top 2 potential RW in the right age range, or don't even bother calling.

This is is why I don't get how the Caps could trade Forsberg for Erat. WTF!!!! 

Could we have had  Forberg for Glencross? Plus?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

This is is why I don't get how the Caps could trade Forsberg for Erat. WTF!!!! 

Could we have had  Forberg for Glencross? Plus?

Not sure anyone will get that one, ever, lol.

Poile must have been going, "I'll believe it when he gets here", lol.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure anyone will get that one, ever, lol.

Poile must have been going, "I'll believe it when he gets here", lol.

Haha! Ya. I couldn't when it came out! It hurt me inside and I am not a Caps fan. 

Like, why not us?????? 

I would've given even more!

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Haha! Ya. I couldn't when it came out! It hurt me inside and I am not a Caps fan. 

Like, why not us?????? 

I would've given even more!

Anything is possible, take what you can get lol.

There are good deals to be had, some so good that they would never make our "trade suggestion" thread....they would be laughed out.

A great GM, finds those trades.  i will admit....our Hamilton trade (while not that good), was close to that good.

• Like 1