Flames Defense

CheersMan

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Crazy 4-points separate picks 5/6/7/8.  Dickinson is not going to be there at 8.  So every loss is crucial down the stretch.

Celebrini, Levshunov, and Demidov gone top 4 certainly.  Lindstrom gone picks 3-5.

I think picks 4-7 is where Dickinson ends up.

Zona is winning a lot.  MTL the only ones to not be able to win.

We are likely to win a few (I keep saying that).

Still don't have a feel how we will do against the remaining teams.

Ducks taking STL to a shootout.

Yotes killing the Sharks.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't view this as a win/loss discussion though because there isn't a dman out there, that I think would realistically sign with the flames, who is going to alter their path.  It's all depth guys and the idea is to give them a veteran whose been there done that, can help with some of he highs/lows, give them tips/advice, and also shelter them a little from the mistake prone players young players tend to be. For me there is a lot of value in that. I think the Flames are going to lose a lot next season but that doesn't mean it makes sense to not support your young players. 

I don't really but the blocking argument either. There should be no rush to get Gurshnikov into the lineup nor Porier, let them earn it.  Not to mention the Flames only have 5 NHL dmen under contract next year 2 of which are top 3 and then Hanley (age 32) Pachal (waiver claim bottom paring dman) and Miromanov (looking to be bottom pair at best). There are 2 top 4 spots available and you could argue the entire bottom pairing is open to. I don't think the flames would bat an eye at losing Hanley or Pachal given they got them both for free anyway. 

Ghostisbehere and Jeff Petry. Like cutting off my nose to spite my face. lol

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

lol...really? None of the pre-eminent greek mythology working for you? Joe Rogan never brings it up? lol

Being playfully facetious...

I figured it was Greek mythology of sorts but not sure.  Maybe I can download this information from the solar eclipse.  They tell us don't look at the eclipse directly because the sun will unleashed powerful information and they don't want us to download that information with our eyes.  They want to keep us below them while they absorb all of the sun's power.  You know how they operate!

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Zona is winning a lot.  MTL the only ones to not be able to win.

We are likely to win a few (I keep saying that).

Still don't have a feel how we will do against the remaining teams.

Ducks taking STL to a shootout.

Yotes killing the Sharks.

California road trip coming up.  Let's hope Huksa tells the boys to go get some sun instead and do some team bonding instead of focusing on hockey.  Come back home laggish for the ARZ 4-point game.

Screenshot_2024-04-07-11-45-46-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

California road trip coming up.  Let's hope Huksa tells the boys to go get some sun instead and do some team bonding instead of focusing on hockey.  Come back home laggish for the ARZ 4-point game.

Screenshot_2024-04-07-11-45-46-13_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

We haven't been great after road trips.

The SJS games looks like the most likely to win.

And maybe game 82, because that's what we do.

We probably have the same bad luck as the Tkachuk drat.

Win one too many or one too few and miss two lotto draws.

This time there is only one, but I doubt we win no matter where we place.

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't view this as a win/loss discussion though because there isn't a dman out there, that I think would realistically sign with the flames, who is going to alter their path.  It's all depth guys and the idea is to give them a veteran whose been there done that, can help with some of he highs/lows, give them tips/advice, and also shelter them a little from the mistake prone players young players tend to be. For me there is a lot of value in that. I think the Flames are going to lose a lot next season but that doesn't mean it makes sense to not support your young players. 

I don't really but the blocking argument either. There should be no rush to get Gurshnikov into the lineup nor Porier, let them earn it.  Not to mention the Flames only have 5 NHL dmen under contract next year 2 of which are top 3 and then Hanley (age 32) Pachal (waiver claim bottom paring dman) and Miromanov (looking to be bottom pair at best). There are 2 top 4 spots available and you could argue the entire bottom pairing is open to. I don't think the flames would bat an eye at losing Hanley or Pachal given they got them both for free anyway and honestly if the Flames feel more comfortable with Hanley or Pachal playing right now over someone like a Kuznetsov that says something. 

I see.  Makes more sense.  I don't see an issue playing two rookie D next season though.  Weegar seems like a captain/mentor type veteran.

Ideally, we ease in the rookies on third pair.  Maybe take turns pairing with Miromanov.  Moreover, I don't think Poirier is ready yet since he lost one year of development.  The LD coming up are Solovyov and Kuznetsov.  Good to start then as 3rd pair LD.  The one who shows more promise will move up to play with Andersson on the second pair.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

lol...really? None of the pre-eminent greek mythology working for you? Joe Rogan never brings it up? lol

Being playfully facetious...

Unfortunately I made the connection!! But then again I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and while going to my room in the elevator was forced to watch Don Lemon.

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Unfortunately I made the connection!! But then again I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and while going to my room in the elevator was forced to watch Don Lemon.

I'm not really familiar with him. Has he ever, like, read books from the past? Or frequented a library outside of being homeless?

Or is he TAG? Typical American Garbage?

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I see.  Makes more sense.  I don't see an issue playing two rookie D next season though.  Weegar seems like a captain/mentor type veteran.

Ideally, we ease in the rookies on third pair.  Maybe take turns pairing with Miromanov.  Moreover, I don't think Poirier is ready yet since he lost one year of development.  The LD coming up are Solovyov and Kuznetsov.  Good to start then as 3rd pair LD.  The one who shows more promise will move up to play with Andersson on the second pair.

For sure off the ice and I think Rasmus would be too. I'm not concerned with off ice mentorship but on ice. Have someone playing with these guys that can help. Hard for guys like Weegar to play their own game and then watch a 3rd pairing guy too. 

I'm not concerned playing 2 rookies, if it comes to that, i just want the spots to be earned and having someone there to guide them a bit. I wouldn't be signing 2 UFAs, just the one and ideally someone that is capable of playing 18-20 mins a night. Someone who can force them to earn their way up. You mention Kunznetsov and IMO that is someone who really has to earn their way. I would not be penciling him into the lineup next year. 

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think when we get to the Dallas pick and our 3rd, so maybe 2 picks in the 60-70 range, him and over-ager Pulkkinen kind of intrigue me. Provided they're still around. Fransen didn't fall off the map, he entered it unexpectedly. Kids and progression...lord only knows.

And of course they both shoot left, why wouldn't they? lol

The draft fun for me is looking beyond the top 25. We have 2 picks in the 25-50 range and 2 more in 50-75. Maybe 2 more 75-100ish, but that's dicey.

Still better than how I've grown used to zero to maybe 1 on a good day. lol

I find it refreshing when teams let 6'6 D develop rather then sending them immediately into a men's league and letting them play the rest of their youth on the bottom pairing.

Interesting for sure, he probably woulda got drafted in 2022 if he were elligible, then not in 2023, and now likely drafted in 2024.   Good risk.

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For sure off the ice and I think Rasmus would be too. I'm not concerned with off ice mentorship but on ice. Have someone playing with these guys that can help. Hard for guys like Weegar to play their own game and then watch a 3rd pairing guy too. 

I'm not concerned playing 2 rookies, if it comes to that, i just want the spots to be earned and having someone there to guide them a bit. I wouldn't be signing 2 UFAs, just the one and ideally someone that is capable of playing 18-20 mins a night. Someone who can force them to earn their way up. You mention Kunznetsov and IMO that is someone who really has to earn their way. I would not be penciling him into the lineup next year. 

Well, it looks like Huska really wants Kylington - Andersson to become a thing.  Assuming Kylington is coming back, then we've got:

Weegar to partner with a rookie to mentor him in second pairing minutes.

Miromanov, will be 27 soon and although has played less than 50-games, can likely mentor a 3rd pair guy.

I don't think we need to go out and sign anyone.  Weegar can play both sides so depending on who is ready, then they pair with Weegar... our new Tanev.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, it looks like Huska really wants Kylington - Andersson to become a thing.  Assuming Kylington is coming back, then we've got:

Weegar to partner with a rookie to mentor him in second pairing minutes.

Miromanov, will be 27 soon and although has played less than 50-games, can likely mentor a 3rd pair guy.

I don't think we need to go out and sign anyone.  Weegar can play both sides so depending on who is ready, then they pair with Weegar... our new Tanev.

So assuming Kylington is back, we playing him and Anderson 25-30 a night? Don't think your mins add up very well here. 

If your comfortable with those 2 being mentors sure but i wouldn't be. Both play a pretty high risk game. Agree to disagree but I think the Flames are setting themselves up for failure, both in terms of their team, goalies and players, to run back this same d core.  I'm all for a high pick but I don't think this is a wise path to get there. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

So assuming Kylington is back, we playing him and Anderson 25-30 a night? Don't think your mins add up very well here. 

If your comfortable with those 2 being mentors sure but i wouldn't be. Both play a pretty high risk game. Agree to disagree but I think the Flames are setting themselves up for failure, both in terms of their team, goalies and players, to run back this same d core.  I'm all for a high pick but I don't think this is a wise path to get there. 

And you are in favour of trading Andersson this summer?

Like, what are we talking about here?  We want to give rookie D a path to the NHL and pair them with a mentor to give them a fighting chance.  We pair one with Weegar and the other with Miromanov (or Hanley and Pachal since they are signed for next season).

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Like, what are we talking about here?  We want to give rookie D a path to the NHL and pair them with a mentor to give them a fighting chance.  We pair one with Weegar and the other with Miromanov (or Hanley and Pachal since they are signed for next season).

I'm a big time fan of trading Andersson, strictly because he's one of the only pieces of value we have and...well, it would all but ensure high picks for the 5 years we need.  lol.

Is Andersson even a good mentor.   I remember him being a talented project who took a long time to translate.   Has he done anything meaningful in the playoffs? \

Mentors are cheap.   Get a 35-year-old mentor with a storied cup-winning history in the off-season.  Get 3 of them.    I'm Totally on board with the value of mentors but like, if that's what we need then let's get legit mentors.   They aren't expensive, you just gotta take on a few guys at the tail end of their career who don't want to let go yet.   

It doesn't have to be complicated either.   Giordano comes to mind.  

If we want to speed up the draft pick situation, you've got very few options, and Andersson is one of them.  Our last couple draft picks, forwards at the wrong time, are another (Coronato, Zary, Honzek etc).    We've had our talks about drafting Tij (which probably won't be an option anyway).   The only reason I would draft Tij is because I'd be willing to trade these guys to get the picks/D we need.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I figured it was Greek mythology of sorts but not sure.  Maybe I can download this information from the solar eclipse.  They tell us don't look at the eclipse directly because the sun will unleashed powerful information and they don't want us to download that information with our eyes.  They want to keep us below them while they absorb all of the sun's power.  You know how they operate!

I've done my research, and that is 100% the undying truth. There's probably no bigger truth. People that deal in truth all of the time, they tell me, your truth is probably better than any truth we've ever seen.

I did say that I was being lighthearted and facetious...

We'll get a great prospect around 8th and a few beyond, I don't doubt. It'll be fun. As far as the team, keep it stable and pick your spots. Keep building quietly. Keep your options wide open. One step at a time. Guys become available. Eichel, Tarasenko, DeBrincat, Kane etc for various reasons. You need Cap AND assets to be in the conversation in the future. I applaud what Conroy has done so far to buy himself something to manage. He was pretty stuck and we were awfully status quo...

Home wasn't built in a day.

Hopefully Solovyov gets in tonight for the first of several games.  If Kylington re-signs I think we’d be set for the immediate future, but 5 years down the road still need to consider new D looking to replace Anderson, Miromanov and Weegar, if not sooner.  

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

For the right return, which would be players and not just picks, yes. 

I think we clearly disagree on the value of mentors and/or the definition. I want a path for rookies and have said as much but I also want and see the value in making them earn it and having a good support system once they are here. IMO, that support system in place right now is not sufficient so I think outside help is needed. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For the right return, which would be players and not players picks, yes. 

I think we clearly disagree on the value of mentors and/or the definition. I want a path for rookies and have said as much but I also want and see the value in making them earn it and having a good support system once they are here. IMO, that support system in place right now is not sufficient so I think outside help is needed. 

Pretty much.   

I mean there's value and price.  Mentors are super valuable, but they are super cheap.  If you're paying a high price for mentors you're doing something wrong.   Of course, if  you're not paying anything for mentors...then ...sure...you're Edmonton.   

I would say we are on the near verge of full out agreeing here.   lol.  Only thing getting in the way is that I would go for pure picks.    But not because I think the current support system is adequate.  It's not.  At all.

But I don't think trades is necessarily the best way to get it.  Best way to get a great support system is to let a few guys play 2 more years than they should.  off free agency etc, or very minor unrelated trades.

Hello Giordano.  Seabrook, Staal, come on by !  lol  

not sure about Brodie.   Tanev?  bring that guy back lol.   why not.  Erik Johnson just coming into his own

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For the right return, which would be players and not players picks, yes. 

Okay fair enough.  I think we've got "good enough" mentors.  Unless, you want to go sign a 35+ Cup winner on the cheap.  That wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Okay fair enough.  I think we've got "good enough" mentors.  Unless, you want to go sign a 35+ Cup winner on the cheap.  That wouldn't hurt.

That is the idea. I don't think the necessarily have to have won a cup but just rather have been around the league for a while. It's to bring in someone on an affordable short term deal whose been around and can help and can help play some top 4 mins so your not forcing a young player into that spot. 

Not interested in anyone who is going to take more than a 2 year deal to sign.