Flames Defense

CheersMan

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think they might be delaying the availability for the 2nd and 3rd games until they hear from the NHL.

There was nothing to suggest he was injured in the game last night.

Unofficially, he played between 20 and 23 minutes.

sore groins after long breaks happens often in hockey. Sure he was skating but the intensity in game is a lot different than just skating. I could see a sore groin happening after a first  game back in two years. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

sore groins after long breaks happens often in hockey. Sure he was skating but the intensity in game is a lot different than just skating. I could see a sore groin happening after a first  game back in two years. Makes sense.

I dunno.  One would think that any hint of soreness in-game and he would be on the bench.

I have no doubt his body would be sore after playing for the fist time.

Legs, arms, ribs, knees, butt....

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I dunno.  One would think that any hint of soreness in-game and he would be on the bench.

I have no doubt his body would be sore after playing for the fist time.

Legs, arms, ribs, knees, butt....

many hints of soreness would have benched Monahan? I don't think a player is going necessarily disclose soreness until after and sometimes it doesn't actually feel sore until after the game anyway. 

every body is different and reacts to strain on muscles. 

id add groin to your list too. I think it's good to take precautions. I mean, how many vets play every preseason games?

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

many hints of soreness would have benched Monahan? I don't think a player is going necessarily disclose soreness until after and sometimes it doesn't actually feel sore until after the game anyway. 

every body is different and reacts to strain on muscles. 

id add groin to your list too. I think it's good to take precautions. I mean, how many vets play every preseason games?

There's a big difference between playing through injuries well into a season and your first actual game.

He's not about to risk it personally; it's his career.

If he starts missing games I may think it's valid.

• 2 months later...

Calgary currently has 16 defensemen under contract that are eligible to fill the rosters of the Flames and the Wranglers.

I am going to assume that by July 1, UFAs Kylington and Miromanov will be re-signed, and Gilbert, Oesterle, Poolman, and Pysyk will not.

RFAs Okhotiuk, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, and Brady are likely to re-sign with Calgary.

In my opinion, neither Boltmann or Jurmo from the reserve list will earn a contract.

At only 18, Hurtig is just not ready to leave Sweden.

I doubt that Lerby will ever make it across the seas from Europe.

Morin will probably play in his 4th year in the QMJHL.

This scenario leaves 2 - 4 open spots in the organization for D.

As Calgary will most likely not pick high enough in the 2024 draft to obtain a “NHL ready” defenseman, Conroy and his pro scouts will have to look to fill those spots via free agency or trades.

Let’s ignore trades for now as there is a separate thread for that.

Which undrafted or UFA defensemen do you think that the Flames should pursue?

Small clarification, Miromanov already has a contract. Signed right after they acquired him.  So at the NHL level your looking:

Weegar - Anderson

??? - Miromanov

Okhotiuk - Pachal

Hanley

Really it hinges on Kylington. I think if he wants to keep playing the flames will sign him but there is a possibility he doesn't. If he's back then I don't see the need to pursue any UFAs. it's not a good crop this year so you'd be looking at stop gap types, signing someone to a 2-3 year deal or less to solidify. not sure I see the value in that when next year the focus should not be on getting better, but rather trying to see what you have. Don't get me wrong, not suggesting that is a good D core, it isn't, but I don't see many UFAs that are going to help much. 

If Kylington were not to re sign then that would change things and I think they'd need to target someone. People of interest to me:

TJ Brodie

Brett Pesce (althought a LS would be preferred)

Alec Martinez

Ghost

Ian Cole

not pretty....

I would like to think that Poirier would be the next to graduate to the NHL roster.

That's not a snipe at Hanley or Okhotiuk, just that he brings different skills.

Poirier might be okay with Pachal, with the obvious growing pains to endure.

Just an opinion since I don't know how the 5-7 guys are in comparison.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I would like to think that Poirier would be the next to graduate to the NHL roster.

That's not a snipe at Hanley or Okhotiuk, just that he brings different skills.

Poirier might be okay with Pachal, with the obvious growing pains to endure.

Just an opinion since I don't know how the 5-7 guys are in comparison.

Poirier missed an entire season of development so he's a year behind.  I imagine he should play one full year with the Wranglers first before getting NHL action in 2025/26

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Poirier missed an entire season of development so he's a year behind.  I imagine he should play one full year with the Wranglers first before getting NHL action in 2025/26

The reason Brzustewicz was happy to be traded was chance at playing. He was blocked by Hughes. Not saying he's looks be as good but, how far away is he from playing? Is it 2-3 more seasons or 1-2? 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

The reason Brzustewicz was happy to be traded was chance at playing. He was blocked by Hughes. Not saying he's looks be as good but, how far away is he from playing? Is it 2-3 more seasons or 1-2? 

I'm not sure what the story is, I'm not even sure if there was fear of him not signing, or if it was just fans justifying trading him.  I don't know how much Hughes would impact as they do play opposite, but maybe the combination of Hronek and Willander was a concern but I don't know.  As far as the timeline goes I don't know really until we see him in camp next year, my guess is at least one year in the AHL

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm not sure what the story is, I'm not even sure if there was fear of him not signing, or if it was just fans justifying trading him.  I don't know how much Hughes would impact as they do play opposite, but maybe the combination of Hronek and Willander was a concern but I don't know.  As far as the timeline goes I don't know really until we see him in camp next year, my guess is at least one year in the AHL

there was a rumour he wasn't going to sign with the Canucks because he didn't see a clear path. 

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

there was a rumour he wasn't going to sign with the Canucks because he didn't see a clear path. 

Not sure how much weight the rumor held but he did comment that he is more excited about Calgary then Van. Don't think that means he can't play in the AHL and I also don't think for a second the Flames would have signed him with any type of promise. 

Calgary's blueline, post trade, is quite a bit shallower at all levels vs the Canucks so there is definitely more opportunity here at both the NHL and AHL levels. 

“I can’t wait to get out there and compete my butt off. I see a lot of potential getting in there…AHL or NHL, whatever it is. I see more potential (in Calgary) than I did in Vancouver so it’s great. I can’t wait to see myself in a Flames jersey one day.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-mailbag-what-to-expect-from-hunter-brzustewicz/

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not sure how much weight the rumor held but he did comment that he is more excited about Calgary then Van. Don't think that means he can't play in the AHL and I also don't think for a second the Flames would have signed him with any type of promise. 

Calgary's blueline, post trade, is quite a bit shallower at all levels vs the Canucks so there is definitely more opportunity here at both the NHL and AHL levels. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-mailbag-what-to-expect-from-hunter-brzustewicz/

he actually said it himself! 

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/major-top-prospect-hunter-brzustewicz-reveals-why-he-did-not-want-to-sign-in-vancouver

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

He actually didn't at least not in that article or any article i've seen. 

Even if he did he also says he's fine with AHL or NHL so i'm not sure where the controversy is here.

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He actually didn't at least not in that article or any article i've seen. 

Even if he did he also says he's fine with AHL or NHL so i'm not sure where the controversy is here.

no one was saying it's a controversy. Was simply pointing out that he felt there was a better chance to play with the Flames. 
he said so himself, that he felt that way, and he also said he thought it would be cool to be a part of the trade...

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

He had a full year, last year.

This is a shortened season no doubt, but he will get playoff experience in the AHL.  Again.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

no one was saying it's a controversy. Was simply pointing out that he felt there was a better chance to play with the Flames. 
he said so himself, that he felt that way, and he also said he thought it would be cool to be a part of the trade...

Which I would agree with him on. The Flames are shallower at both the NHL and at the AHL level than the Canucks so there is more opportunity. Especially along the Right side. 

I'm not expecting to see him for 2-3 years. 

16 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Calgary currently has 16 defensemen under contract that are eligible to fill the rosters of the Flames and the Wranglers.

I am going to assume that by July 1, UFAs Kylington and Miromanov will be re-signed, and Gilbert, Oesterle, Poolman, and Pysyk will not.

RFAs Okhotiuk, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, and Brady are likely to re-sign with Calgary.

In my opinion, neither Boltmann or Jurmo from the reserve list will earn a contract.

As Calgary will most likely not pick high enough in the 2024 draft to obtain a “NHL ready” defenseman, Conroy and his pro scouts will have to look to fill those spots via free agency or trades.

16 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

No need, sign Kylington.

I’ve never understood the “Brzustewicz wouldn’t sign in VAN”

CHL players have very little leverage. He would have had to re-enter the draft and in most cases players that re-enter get picked later or not at all. 

I’ve always viewed it as justification for VAN dealing him. He was probably their #3 prospect.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’ve never understood the “Brzustewicz wouldn’t sign in VAN”

CHL players have very little leverage. He would have had to re-enter the draft and in most cases players that re-enter get picked later or not at all. 

I’ve always viewed it as justification for VAN dealing him. He was probably their #3 prospect.

I've always viewed it that it was a ploy to try and get more money and perhaps Van was balking at it. The flames gave him a very rich deal for a 3rd rounder, it rivals what first round picks get. 

for reference Brzustewics got 950K total/year,a 95k signing bonus each year and  82.5K Minors salary.

Porier, Flames 3rd rounder 2020 got 823k with 85K signing, 2 K less on his minors salary

Gurshnikov, a 2nd rounder, got 814K, 92K signing bonus and 2K less on his minor salary

Brz's deal is identical to what the Flames gave Honzek, their first rounder last year. 

Flames paid him very well for his draft status. 

this trade might have been the biggest homerun that Conroy hit this season.

Very much in the defence-first mould of many of the prospects already in the fold. But it’s another lotto ticket. Hopefully one of Kuznetsov/Solovyov/Grushnikov/Jurmo can be an every day guy as a defence first defender.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

this trade might have been the biggest homerun that Conroy hit this season.

Very much in the defence-first mould of many of the prospects already in the fold. But it’s another lotto ticket. Hopefully one of Kuznetsov/Solovyov/Grushnikov/Jurmo can be an every day guy as a defence first defender.

We had to sign him before the summer or lose him, so this was a low risk signing.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We had to sign him before the summer or lose him, so this was a low risk signing.

I almost viewed him as a throw-in of sorts. Seeing as though he hadn't signed with VAN, I wondered if he was just one of those guys happy with playing his entire career at home. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I almost viewed him as a throw-in of sorts. Seeing as though he hadn't signed with VAN, I wondered if he was just one of those guys happy with playing his entire career at home. 

It's funny when you go back to the draft preview:

Jurmo's projectable 6-foot-4 frame and smooth-skating lend itself to covering large swaths of ice and carrying the puck from one zone to the next sometimes effortlessly. His speed makes him one of the best puck-rushers in the Finnish U20 league. He accelerates well when he's already in motion and is a deceptive skater in the neutral zone with crossovers and changes of pace.

6'4" (or 5), and close to 210 lbs.

Smooth skater?

Hard to project from Liiga to AHL/NHL.

Sometimes it's better to be a D man first and a guy that scores 2nd.

We have quite a few guys that can score.

I don't think the odds are good this guy every touches the NHL but at the same time the Flames needed depth. Not just defensive depth in the NHL but across the organization. 

Of the 10 dman the Wranglers are using right now only 2 of them are under contract for next season and 3 more are RFAs. 

The only person on their reserve list who "might" be an AHL option for next year is Jake Botlman and I doubt they sign him. So there isn't help coming there. 

Depth and Dmen were badly needed for the Wranglers and now they can build a decent core down there. 

Solo - Brzustewicz

Porier - Brady Lyle

Kuznetsov - Grushnikov

Jurmo

Looks significantly better, even as call ups/promotions happen. 

• Like 1