Flames Defense

CheersMan

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Pretty exciting to have him lace em up again.  Here's to having a top 6 D-man potentially back on the big team soon.  I probably overvalue his impact to this team, but we haven't seen him play close to a full season since the year we made the playoffs.  He had same number of points as Hanifin that playoffs.  

I would like to see him paired with Kuz after he gets back,  but you know that isn't happening.  It will be with Desimone, Oesterle or Gilbert.  By skill level and fit, he should be with Tanev, but the minutes and impact on other pairs makes that difficult.  I might try:

Hanifin-Ras

Kylington-Weegar

Kuz-Tanev

The minutes get balanced out with special teams.    

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Pretty exciting to have him lace em up again.  Here's to having a top 6 D-man potentially back on the big team soon.  I probably overvalue his impact to this team, but we haven't seen him play close to a full season since the year we made the playoffs.  He had same number of points as Hanifin that playoffs.  

I would like to see him paired with Kuz after he gets back,  but you know that isn't happening.  It will be with Desimone, Oesterle or Gilbert.  By skill level and fit, he should be with Tanev, but the minutes and impact on other pairs makes that difficult.  I might try:

Hanifin-Ras

Kylington-Weegar

Kuz-Tanev

The minutes get balanced out with special teams.    

I think that if he can even play bottom pair at a top4 level, that would be great! 

Having him over Osterle or Gilbert would be an improvement.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think that if he can even play bottom pair at a top4 level, that would be great! 

Having him over Osterle or Gilbert would be an improvement.

I would rank him above Zadorov.  Kylington is harder on the other teams than Hanifin but doesn't hit like Z.  He skates much better.  He has offensive instincts and can gain the zone on skating like Z.  He's a bit of an adventure sometimes, but I would say is less risky to get caught off guard and lose coverage completely.  Z tended to go for a hit and get burned if he missed.  

According to the CBA players can go on LTIR Conditioning Loan for 6 days or 3 games. Teams can ask for an extension of two games. Kylington was put on conditioning loan on the 4th, and this will be the Wranglers 3rd game since the loan. I am guessing that they will ask for an extension seeing as he hasn’t played in a year and a half. After that though they will have to either add him to the active roster or put him on waivers to send him down.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

According to the CBA players can go on LTIR Conditioning Loan for 6 days or 3 games. Teams can ask for an extension of two games. Kylington was put on conditioning loan on the 4th, and this will be the Wranglers 3rd game since the loan. I am guessing that they will ask for an extension seeing as he hasn’t played in a year and a half. After that though they will have to either add him to the active roster or put him on waivers to send him down.

Does the circumstances of him going to the AHL make it different than the standard CBA allowed stuff?  I don't recall other players under a similar situation that have even gone to the AHL.  

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Is it three games the AHL team plays, or three games for him to play? 

56 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Does the circumstances of him going to the AHL make it different than the standard CBA allowed stuff?  I don't recall other players under a similar situation that have even gone to the AHL.  

I think it has to be okayed by the player, but is available. I think when there is a No Move Clause the player can't be, unless okayed. 

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Kylington had to agree to go to the AHL on the conditioning stint. I believe it is 3 team games.

Worth pointing out he gets his NHL salary while he's down there so there is really no reason for him not to agree to it. 

I would also suspect the Flames will ask for, and be granted, an extension. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Worth pointing out he gets his NHL salary while he's down there so there is really no reason for him not to agree to it. 

I can only ever think of one other player that got an extension to play in the AHL on conditioning.

But it was not coming off Player Assistance.

I suspect that him being ok'd to play is in essence him cleared from the program.

As such, he follows normal conditioning rules.

From the looks of the cap, he is already being included in the cap.

So, there isn't any cap benefit for him to stay in the AHL.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I can only ever think of one other player that got an extension to play in the AHL on conditioning.

But it was not coming off Player Assistance.

I suspect that him being ok'd to play is in essence him cleared from the program.

As such, he follows normal conditioning rules.

From the looks of the cap, he is already being included in the cap.

So, there isn't any cap benefit for him to stay in the AHL.

Capfriendly still has him on LTIR which makes sense. This is an LTIR conditioning loan so he stays on LTIR while down there. Small difference than a regular conditioning stint. 

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Capfriendly still has him on LTIR which makes sense. This is an LTIR conditioning loan so he stays on LTIR while down there. Small difference than a regular conditioning stint. 

My bad.  I was looking at the daily cap and getting mixed up.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I really don't suspect there is any form of fast-tracking to get him on the big club. I'd be quite shocked to see him in the NHL any time soon.

Certainly have to wonder if he's pushing it to get to another contract.

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I really don't suspect there is any form of fast-tracking to get him on the big club. I'd be quite shocked to see him in the NHL any time soon.

Certainly have to wonder if he's pushing it to get to another contract.

as per the CBA he is going to be in the NHL or on waivers within the week.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

as per the CBA he is going to be in the NHL or on waivers within the week.

I expect that he'll go through waivers and will clear. Similar to Vrana in Detroit. No one is claiming a troubled player that the team is working with.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I expect that he'll go through waivers and will clear. Similar to Vrana in Detroit. No one is claiming a troubled player that the team is working with.

Then why not put him on waivers instead of putting him on a conditioning loan? 

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Then why not put him on waivers instead of putting him on a conditioning loan? 

Because you can. That time is there, so use it. Same as Vrana. Conditioning, waivers to give him more time.

I'm not quite sure why folks expect Kylington to be right back on the roster. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I'd be extremely surprised. Don't understand why it is becoming an expectation.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Because you can. That time is there, so use it. Same as Vrana. Conditioning, waivers to give him more time.

I'm not quite sure why folks expect Kylington to be right back on the roster. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I'd be extremely surprised. Don't understand why it is becoming an expectation.

I guess the difference is that with Vrana it was substance abuse and there has been no mention of substance abuse with Kylington, it has been health related. 

They had the option to put Rooney on a conditioning stint as well, but he went straight to waivers. Just seems less likely that he would get claimed if they put Kylington on waivers, instead of letting him play in a few conditioning games. Colorado and Washington each have two scouts at the game tonight, I am guessing to watch Kylington.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I guess the difference is that with Vrana it was substance abuse and there has been no mention of substance abuse with Kylington, it has been health related. 

They had the option to put Rooney on a conditioning stint as well, but he went straight to waivers. Just seems less likely that he would get claimed if they put Kylington on waivers, instead of letting him play in a few conditioning games. Colorado and Washington each have two scouts at the game tonight, I am guessing to watch Kylington.

Rooney's an AHLer so he's going to the A regardless. Kylington (I think) is like Vrana in that the team is trying to be respectful and let the player have a bit of time before deciding what's best.

Maybe he'll be tip-top and good to go. I just don't love that it becomes an expectation. It's been an awfully long road. Hard to imagine that he only needs a conditioning stint and a few AHL games. Really hard to imagine that.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

No Kylington for the Wranglers tonight,  glad I stayed home and warm tonight.

And there we have it. Many are putting way too much stock into Kylington just magically being what he was 2 years ago quickly. It's not really feasible.

It's going to take a lot of time. This season would surprise me.

I really hope the best for him, but I'm not sure the heavy pace and pressures of the NHL lifestyle is what's best atm, we'll find out. I hope he's been good with his money so he's not pressured to do it in that regard. He's still trying to figure out what is best for him.

To be frank, generalizing that someone is struggling with mental health is a pandora's box of possibilities. I've witnessed a few different ones in both adults and children, as we likely all have. None are pretty. Feeling ashamed, therefore silent and undiagnosed is a common theme.

All that matters is that he gets himself figured out and holds his head high. I don't care who our 4-8 dmen are, that crap pales by comparison, none of that matters.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And there we have it. Many are putting way too much stock into Kylington just magically being what he was 2 years ago quickly. It's not really feasible.

It's going to take a lot of time. This season would surprise me.

I really hope the best for him, but I'm not sure the heavy pace and pressures of the NHL lifestyle is what's best atm, we'll find out. I hope he's been good with his money so he's not pressured to do it in that regard. He's still trying to figure out what is best for him.

To be frank, generalizing that someone is struggling with mental health is a pandora's box of possibilities. I've witnessed a few different ones in both adults and children, as we likely all have. None are pretty. Feeling ashamed, therefore silent and undiagnosed is a common theme.

All that matters is that he gets himself figured out and holds his head high. I don't care who our 4-8 dmen are, that crap pales by comparison, none of that matters.

The game was a B2B.  There was zero reason to play him after a long layoff.

This would be a precautionary sitting, where he would be sore after playing 20+ minutes.

Obviously, he will be treated with kid gloves when he comes back.

His schedule to return will be often discussed by him, the trainers and the coaches.

I don't expect a full return to the crazy NHL schedule right away.

Game here, game there, evaluate.  Practice. 

He had to go through steps to be released from the program, so now it should be physical.

And remembering the things you did by instinct and by coaching.

Even though the AHL is at game speed, he has to treat it like camp.

Ramp up the play to a AHL level first, then see where you sit.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

interesting that now that he is close to coming back he is "day to day" with an injury.

Probably some gaming of the system going on there

I think they might be delaying the availability for the 2nd and 3rd games until they hear from the NHL.

There was nothing to suggest he was injured in the game last night.

Unofficially, he played between 20 and 23 minutes.