Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

Heat battled hard tonight but couldn't get the win. Sad to see their season come to an end but they were in tough against the Griffins. So anyone want to guess what's in store for the Heat now? Specifically, where they will be playing next year.

Everything I have read has the team moving to Glens Falls, New York.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerr was on the radio today with the local Glens Falls newspaper, and they reported that it hadn't been decided yet if the team would garner the name Adirondack or Glens Falls.

It could go either way at this point.

If I had my choice, it would be Adirondack Flames, and would use the classic

2d196a484e326f1ae56685a354775791.png

Kerr was on the radio today with the local Glens Falls newspaper, and they reported that it hadn't been decided yet if the team would garner the name Adirondack or Glens Falls.

I LIKE!!!!!!

The other day when Treliving was on The Fan 960, he was talking about the move and he mentioned that the Heat had 83 overnight trips last and he compared that to Phoenix's farm team in Maine and said that they had 11 overnight trips last year. That's huge, it will give the players more practice time and a better chance to develop.

It would be an easier transition from "Abby" to "Addy".  Plus, Glen Falls is such an AHL name.  Metro pop of 108,000 is troubling.

Not to split hairs but its closer to 130k population.  Roughly the same size as when the Flames had their farm team in Saint John, NB.  Economics played a big role in leaving Saint John due to ticket prices and a poor economy at the time.  Harbour Station held roughly 6000 people for hockey games so that left a lot of empty seats during the last few years there.  The arena the Heat will be going to in Glen Falls holds roughly 4000 people for hockey and the economy is much more sound.

I like the fact that the Heat will be travelling a lot less and having more development time.  This will go a long ways in helping players like Baertschi, Poirier and Ortio develop.

And the survey says:

120285f85064b44c405a1e32878adb6f.png

It would be an easier transition from "Abby" to "Addy".  Plus, Glen Falls is such an AHL name.  Metro pop of 108,000 is troubling.

The population isn't troubling to me. The area is beautiful with a capital BEAUT. Lake George just north, not far from Vermont's gorgeous skiing. There is cash there, no doubt in my mind.

And the Flames are a classy organization, as Adirondack is dedicated to building and keeping hockey.

I think this is a great marriage in an area that celebrates winter with sport, as we do.

And we've got a smokin' product for them to gobble up right out of the gate.

The Adirondack Flames.

Life is good.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/05/16/adirondack-flames-become-calgary-flames-new-ahl-affiliate

1297561287033_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

The Flaming A — last used by the Atlanta Flames before the franchise moved to Calgary in 1980 — is back.

The Calgary Flames AHL affiliate in Glens Falls, N.Y., will officially be known as the Adirondack Flames, and the retro logo will be incorporated into the new look.

“We'll have one of the hottest logos — no pun intended — in the league,” joked Brian Petrovek, who has been named the team president for the Flames farm club, which is on the move after five seasons in Abbotsford, B.C.

During Friday's news conference at Glens Falls Civic Center, Flames GM Brad Treliving told reporters there is another tradition he's anxious to bring back, sharing his memories of tough trips to upstate New York to face off against the Adirondack Red Wings while he was earning his paycheques as an AHL defenceman.

“I used to hate like hell coming in here,” Treliving said. “It was a difficult place to play. It was a miserable place to play as an opponent. The fans were loud ... And we're going to get it back to that again starting next year.”

Glens Falls has a long history as an AHL market, first as home to the top affiliate for the Red Wings (1979-99) and recently the farm club of the Philadelphia Flyers (2009-14).

On Friday, Treliving promised the fanbase that the Adirondack Flames would be “a team that you will be proud of.”

“Coming into this job as the new manager in Calgary, one of the exciting pieces for me is the prospect list that is being assembled,” Treliving said.

“This team in Glens Falls will be the lifeblood ... Our players will know, and our organization will know, that the path to Calgary goes through Glens Falls. You have to develop players, you have to develop them wisely, and we intend to do that here.”

Petrovek has a lengthy resume. He was an All-American netminder at Harvard, was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in 1975 and has been the managing owner and CEO of the AHL's Portland Pirates for the past 14 seasons.

The Pirates have been an affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes since 2011, so Petrovek has worked closely with Treliving, who was the longtime assistant GM of the Desert Dogs before being hired by the Flames last month.

• 3 weeks later...

Flames gave just announced that they will not be renewing Troy Ward's contract... Can't seem to paste the link...

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722034

He seemed to do an amazing job in Abbotsford. I wonder who Treliving will be bringing in as a replacement and whether Ward is a candidate for an NHL head coach job. Robbie Ftorek also on his way...

Sorry, this should probably be in the Adirondack section!

Heat played a very good grand rapids team, maybe it has something to do with the move out east? I imagine its not easy to pack up your family and drag them across the continent.

I really have enjoyed listening to his insight on our prospects, he is a very personal and professional coach, IMO he has done a phenomenal job with our prospects. Would have thought him and Brad would be a match made in heaven.

It could be he didn't see his future in the AHL and with a number of vacant coaching jobs in the NHL it is possible that he'll throw his hat in the ring or may already be under consideration. Alternatively with Treliving coming in already knowing Hartley will be his coach, he may have somebody of his own in mind to look after the farm.

Totally shocked by this announcement.  I thought Ward was doing a fantastic job with the Heat.  I have to think Ward won't be out of a job for long and wouldn't be surprised if he lands, at the very least, an assistant's job in the NHL.

It sucks to hear that something couldn't get done, but I doubt it had anything to do with "Not wanting him back..." There are many reasons why something couldn't have been agreed upon, wish I could have been the fly on the wall to know the real reasons as opposed to speculation.

It sucks to hear that something couldn't get done, but I doubt it had anything to do with "Not wanting him back..." There are many reasons why something couldn't have been agreed upon, wish I could have been the fly on the wall to know the real reasons as opposed to speculation.

Ill agree ill reserve full judgement the until some body makes some kind of statement, but ill admit to always finding it odd nobody would give him a full vote of confidence. Burke would say it was a decision for the new GM,but also praise his work...Treliving said more than once how he'd never really met him and needed to sit down and talk to him..but praised his record.

Conroy..who has obviously worked with him the most of the group officially becomes his boss and hes gone the next day?

At some level there was a philosophical issue that one or both sides couldn't agree with...even the press release was generic...doesn't say he was relieved of duties..or that he chose not to return. .just simply not being renewed. Anyone who's worked for a large corporation and seen personell announcements will agree, this indicates that it falls on the "fired" side of the pile

Archived