Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

Power play has been a plus for Flames - poststar.com

Where the Adirondack Flames can find a 12th forward - poststar.com

Emile Poirier loaned to Adirondack Flames - poststar.com

Utica Comets 5 (7-1-2-0) vs Adirondack Flames 4 (3-6-1-0)

1. UTI DeFazio, (4) (Archibald), 0:37

1. UTI Jensen, (3) (Biega, O'Reilly), 2:01

1. ADK Poirier, (1) (Arnold, Sieloff), 14:38

1. UTI Andersson, (2) (Sanguinetti), 15:05

2. UTI Grenier, (3) (O'Reilly, Jensen), 2:15 (PP)

2. ADK Poirier, (2) (Arnold, Stevenson), 4:29

2. UTI Bancks, (3) (Hamilton), 7:37

2. ADK Van Brabant, (2) (Reinhart, Thiessen), 13:03 (PP)

2. ADK Hanowski, (3) (Knight, Baertschi), 15:50

Complete Boxscore

FINAL: Comets 5 @ Flames 4 - uticacomets.com

ADIRONDACK 4 UTICA 5 - adirondackflames.com

Adirondack fell short in the loss to AHL leading Utica Comets (Vancouver).

It's great news that Emile Poirier is back playing & showed his stuff with a 2 goal & 2nd star performance.

Next game not until next Friday on the road against the Hamilton Bulldogs (Montreal Canadiens).

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ADIRONDACK 4 UTICA 5

11/01/2014 7:54 AM -

Glens Falls, NY – The Adirondack Flames’ three game winning streak on home ice ended in a 5-4 loss to the Utica Comets on Saturday evening at the Glens Falls Civic Center.

Emile Poirier skated in his first game of the season and scored two goals, a career-high. Bill Arnold also recorded a career-high with two assists. Brad Thiessen made 20 saves on 22 shots in relief of Joni Ortio, who took the loss.

The Utica Comets opened the scoring just 37 seconds into the game as Brandon DeFazio beat Adirondack goaltender Joni Ortio with an assist from Darren Archibald. Less than two minutes later the Comets struck again, as Nicklas Jensen extended the Utica advantage to two. Alex Biega and Cal O’Reilly were credited with the assists.

The Flames had two power play opportunities in the first period but were unable to capitalize. Moments after the second man advantage expired, Poirier sent a rocket past Utica goalie Joacim Eriksson 14:38 into the period to cut the Comets’ lead to 2-1. It was Poirier’s first goal in his first game of the season. Arnold and Patrick Sieloff recorded assists, Sieloff’s first point as a professional.

Moments later, Utica re-extended their lead to two goals, as Peter Andersson slipped one past Ortio from the point with an assist from Bobby Sanguinetti, After Utica’s third goal, Brad Thiessen took over as netminder for the Flames. Ortio finished his night with eight saves on 11 shots.

In the second period, the Comets capitalized on the power play after Bryce Van Brabant was whistled for hooking. Alexandre Grenier buried the goal off of a nice backdoor feed from O’Reilly. Nicklas Jensen had the secondary helper as the Comets took their largest lead of the night at 4-1.

Despite a three-goal disadvantage, the Flames did not sit back as Poirier doubled his pleasure. Just over a minute after Grenier’s tally, Poirier got one past Eriksson off of a quick pass from Bill Arnold to shorten Utica’s lead 4-2. Defenseman Dustin Stevenson was also credited with an assist on the goal, his fifth point of the season.

Utica answered back with its fifth goal of the night to push its lead to 5-2 thanks to Carter Bancks. After a scramble in front of Thiessen, Bancks found space on the back post and was able to chop the puck past. Wacey Hamilton recorded the lone assist on the play.

On Adirondack’s fourth power play of the night, a quick-thinking Thiessen sent an outlet pass to Max Reinhart, who Fed Van Brabant who snapped a shot past Thiessen to cut the deficit to 5-3. The point was the first of the season for Thiessen and his first since the 2011-12 season.

Minutes later, at the 15:50 of the second period, Ben Hanowski took a feed from Corban Knight in the slot and sent it into the net to pull the Flames within one goal at 5-4. Winger Sven Baertschi recorded an assist on the goal, his second in as many games.

The three-goal middle period would not be enough for the Flames, however. The two teams skated to a scoreless final period. The Flames had four power play opportunities in the final period, including a 5-on-3 chance, but could not convert. Adirondack had multiple close calls, including three shots that hit the iron, but could not get anything to go.

Put me in the concerned category re Ortio.  You need good goal tending on a development team.  So far he isn't giving that to us.  I don't know what is going on because he was decent last season.  Not sure if it is the system, an injury, our D, trying knew things, or what.  But we have to fix it.  

Put me in the concerned category re Ortio. You need good goal tending on a development team. So far he isn't giving that to us. I don't know what is going on because he was decent last season. Not sure if it is the system, an injury, our D, trying knew things, or what. But we have to fix it.

I'm in there as well especially considering I didn't think he was all that good in the preseason either. Maybe he tried sone new training regiment in the offseason but I agree it's got to get fixed. I don't think the d core is all that good in Adirondak but still he needs to be better and it's got to be frustrating when the offence is starting to produce but your just not getting any goaltending. A short stint in the ECHL may be the way to go right now.

Defense issues cost Adirondack Flames in defeat - poststar.com

Emile Poirier shines in first game - poststar.com

____________________________________________________________________________________

Flames recall Sven Baertschi from Adirondack - calgaryflames.com

Here is your big chance again Sven.

Hopefully you can overcome any performance or confidence issues and show us the player you can be.

You wouldn't want to miss being with the big club when the 1st round of the playoffs happen....

____________________________________________________________________________________

We keep raiding Adirondack due to our injury attrition rate.

Although the AHL farm club serves as the primary reservoir for our replacement players, I wonder what it does to the morale of a fan in Glens Falls.

You get attached to certain players and then they're gone [Jooris - Granlund - Ferland - Bärtschi].

I know I wouldn't want anybody raiding my cupboards......

Defense issues cost Adirondack Flames in defeat - poststar.com

Emile Poirier shines in first game - poststar.com

Flames recall Sven Baertschi from Adirondack - calgaryflames.com

Here is your big chance again Sven.

Hopefully you can overcome any performance or confidence issues and show us the player you can be.

You wouldn't want to miss being with the big club when the 1st round of the playoffs happen....

We keep raiding Adirondack due to our injury attrition rate.

Although the AHL farm club serves as the primary reservoir for our replacement players, I wonder what it does to the morale of a fan in Glens Falls.

You get attached to certain players and then they're gone [Jooris - Granlund - Ferland - Bärtschi].

I know I wouldn't want anybody raiding my cupboards......

Addy was reported to only have 11 forwards, and then Poirier came off injury. With Baertschi gone, they are back to 11. Maybe we can send them Setoguchi, though with the rash of injuries on the Flames, I'm not sure that is a safe thing to do.

Addy was reported to only have 11 forwards, and then Poirier came off injury. With Baertschi gone, they are back to 11. Maybe we can send them Setoguchi, though with the rash of injuries on the Flames, I'm not sure that is a safe thing to do.

Can't Adirondack recall forwards from the ECHL or can we only send them down?

To my limited knowledge, I believe the Flames can freely move players that are under contract .

There are 2 Eagle players in Colorado that have direct Flames ties but I know of no details of their status or contracts.

They are Curtis Gedig (D) & Doug Carr (G). Not the positional players ADK is in dire need of right now.

To my limited knowledge, I believe the Flames can freely move players that are under contract .

There are 2 Eagle players in Colorado that have direct Flames ties but I know of no details of their status or contracts.

They are Curtis Gedig (D) & Doug Carr (G). Not the positional players ADK is in dire need of right now.

I've heard a few good things about Gedig, but nothing about Carr.

What in the heck has happened to Orito's game>

Poirier's 2 goals in his first game back were music to my eyes and ears.  Nothing beats seeing a 1st rounder produce with hunger like that on your farm team.  If all goes smoothly, next year is going to be a fun one.

Fave prospects in order:

Johnny Hockey (may not be a prospect after this season),

Poirier (say what?  before Benny?! ;)),

Bennett,

Ferland,

Granlund,

Sven,

and of course can't forget about Janko. Still gunning for the kid to succeed.

Poirier's 2 goals in his first game back were music to my eyes and ears.  Nothing beats seeing a 1st rounder produce with hunger like that on your farm team.  If all goes smoothly, next year is going to be a fun one.

Fave prospects in order:

Johnny Hockey (may not be a prospect after this season),

Poirier (say what?  before Benny?! ;)),

Bennett,

Ferland,

Granlund,

Sven,

and of course can't forget about Janko. Still gunning for the kid to succeed.

You can't forget about Klimchuk. I love how some of those names can turn out to be really good top 6 forwards and I hope it'll happen.

Prospects by grade (I cheer for them individually according to grade):

A+

Johnny Hockey (love calling him that; PO's some people)

Sam Bennett (hope his new shoulder is made of titanium :) )

A

Poirier (Bennett and Poirier are cut from the same cloth; gritty, in your face forwards - could be AHL rookie of the year :) )

Granlund (tough grind ahead for him, but he could become as good as his bro)

Sven (yes, I believe his is still one of the top guys; just needs some confidence)

Janko (think he steps it up this year; already gained like 20 pounds)

B

Ferland (gotta love the kid; has grown up and gotten by all the BS from the bar fight)

Jooris (was intrigued with him last year, could be a good career 3rd liner)

C

Wotherspoon (quietly just does what he does)

Seilof (Regher 2.0? I hope)

Arnold (has a chance to become another Stajan or Backlund type; can never have too many of those guys in the wings)

If I only had a total of 5, I would go with the following:

1) Johnny "The Gaudfather" Hockey

2) Poirier - I will bump up Bennett once he gets back playing, but for now Emile gets the nod.

3) Granlund - skilled shooter and adept passer; compliments Johnny

4) Sven! - give him ice-time and a winger other than Setoguchi and he will shine

5) Ferland - would like to see either him or Jooris as Johnny's RW with Granlund at C

IceCaps release Reid from PTO - 14-10-03 - stjohnsicecaps.com

The St. John’s IceCaps, American Hockey League affiliate of the Winnipeg Jets, have released forward Brodie Reid from his professional tryout contract. Reid, 25, was held scoreless in one game with the IceCaps. Reid also played in five games with the Elmira Jackals of the ECHL this season; collecting four points (1G, 3A). Last year in 55 games with the Worcester Sharks (AHL), Reid recorded 25 points (11G, 14A) and eight penalty minutes.In 155 career AHL games, all with Worcester, Reid has notched 71 points (31G, 40A) and 44 penalty minutes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Adirondack Flames found their 12th forward. Brodie Reid (four points in five games with Elmira) is on the ice.

Mark Cundari is out of non-contact yellow and wearing defenseman black today.

I wonder if it just a PTO & nothing definitive. Of course they need the 12th forward by Friday.

The undrafted Brodie Reid was signed by San Jose Sharks in 2011 to an ELC & a Standard 2-way in 2013.

He was released this past summer when they were cleaning house & ended up playing for the Elmira Jackets of the ECHL.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It is good to see Cundari close to returning to game action.

I wonder if it just a PTO & nothing definitive. Of course they need the 12th forward by Friday.

The undrafted Brodie Reid was signed by San Jose Sharks in 2011 to an ELC & a Standard 2-way in 2013.

He was released this past summer when they were cleaning house & ended up playing for the Elmira Jackets of the ECHL.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

It is good to see Cundari is close to returning to game action.

Reid looks to be a clone of Jooris. RW, RHS, 25 years old. 6'1" 195 lbs. Moderate AHL scoring numbers (~10 goals/~25 points). He's on a PTO with the Flames. Worth a look.

Kulak demoted to the ECHL. Hope he learns from it; he was good the end of last year.

I was impressed with Kulak's skating ability in the per season games I watched, but I thought his decision making was not up to par. Hopefully he can slow his game down and make better reads.

Adirondack Flames (3-6-1-0) vs Hamilton Bulldogs (4-4-2-0) @ 05:30 PM MDT [Fri, November 07, 2014]

Listen Live (For the addicts)

Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a very active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.

Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ BULLDOGS - adirondackflames.com

PREVIEW: 'DOGS HOST FLAMES - hamiltonbulldogs.com

AHL: Hamilton Bulldogs host ‘gritty’ Flames - thespec.com

TO THE MOON AND BACK - adirondackflames.com

Adirondack Flames TOP 10 PLAYS - OCTOBER - adirondackflames.com

Scott Gouthro brings technology to coaching role - poststar.com

After almost a week break, Adirondack heads to Hamilton (Montreal Canadiens) for 2 consecutive games.

It is Adirondacks 1st venture into Canada and they will be trying to achieve their 1st road victory.

With 2 new players on PTOs, the Flames are trying to forge ahead after several key players were promoted to Calgary.

Our old friend, Joey MacDonald, will be in net for Hamilton.

Calgary Flames Future Watch - calgaryflames.com :)

(Coverage of all the Flames prospects in the AHL-ECHL- CHL-College-Europe)

Adirondack Flames 3 (4-6-1-0) vs Hamilton Bulldogs 1 (4-5-2-0)

1. HAM Hensick, (2) (Hudon, Thomas), 16:48

3. ADK Wolf, (2) (Poirier, Ramage), 5:48

3. ADK Elson, (1) (Hathaway, Knight), 15:15

3. ADK Van Brabant, (3) (Culkin, Poirier), 18:23

Complete Boxscore

Adirondack achieves their 1st road victory with a big 3rd period. Poirier with 2 pts for 4 in his 2 games back.

Brad Thiessen in net stopping 26/27. Ortio could use a few games like this to get back on track.

Rematch in Hamilton tomorrow.

Adirondack Flames earn first road win - poststar.com

FLAMES TAME BULLDOGS IN 3-1 VICTORY - adirondackflames.com

FLAMES SCORCH BULLDOGS 3-1 - hamiltonbulldogs.com

Adirondack Flames (4-6-1-0) vs Hamilton Bulldogs (4-5-2-0) @ 05:00 PM MDT [sat, November 08, 2014]

Listen Live (For the addicts)
Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ BULLDOGS - adirondackflames.com
PREVIEW: DOGS REMATCH WITH FLAMES - hamiltonbulldogs.com

Adirondack Flames 4 (5-6-1-0) vs Hamilton Bulldogs 3 (4-6-2-0)

1. HAM de la Rose, (1) (Dumont), 7:42 (SH)

1. ADK Hathaway, (3) (Culkin, Reinhart), 8:41 (PP)

2. HAM Andrighetto, (6) (Hensick, Hudon), 8:49 (PP)

3. ADK Van Brabant, (4) (Arnold, Moon), 1:31

3. ADK Elson, (2) (Agostino, Tousignant), 2:50

3. ADK Tousignant, (2) (Agostino), 5:43

3. HAM Nygren, (1) (Hensick, Dumont), 18:39

Complete Boxscore

A sweep of the Jr Canadiens. Just a game under 0.500 hockey now.

Adirondack coming up with big 3rd periods lately mimicking Calgary.

Is it the comparable systems, the conditioning, or just what the hockey gods decide?

Whatever it is, it bodes well for our future.

Next up is the Rochester Americans (Buffalo Sabres) Monday afternoon.

HOW SWEEP IT IS! - adirondackflames.com

FLAMES EDGE BULLDOGS 4-3  - hamiltonbulldogs.com

Adirondack Flames win second road game - poststar.com

I'm liking the fact that since the call ups we are seeing a lot of the depth players put up points with the opportunity. Van Brabant, Hathaway, Culkin, Arnold are guys we are seeing a lot more out of since Ferland, Sven, Jooris and Grandlund have been called up. Gives me a little bit more hope that if nothing else we are working on developing a lot of guys who are ideally bottom 6 (or 5/6 Dman) who can step it up when needed and could potentially play second line/pairing minutes.

Archived