Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

What some people seem to be underestimating is that just because some of these players have been pre-slotted by you as say bottom 6 players does not mean they are restricted to those roles.

For example Stajan has been classed as a 3rd line center but has already on many occasions filled in 1st and 2nd line center positionand for extended periods.

Backlund same thing. There was a time when Backs and Joker were the only two players on the team filling the top 2 center lines for us.

Our teams systems lends itself to "shorter term" fitting in such players into higher line roles.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What some people seem to be underestimating is that just because some of these players have been pre-slotted by you as say bottom 6 players does not mean they are restricted to those roles.

For example Stajan has been classed as a 3rd line center but has already on many occasions filled in 1st and 2nd line center positionand for extended periods.

Backlund same thing. There was a time when Backs and Joker were the only two players on the team filling the top 2 center lines for us.

Our teams systems lends itself to "shorter term" fitting in such players into higher line roles.

When the inevitable happens, and players come back from IR, there will be some interesting decisions to be made. Colborne was performing better on the dot than Granlund is. Granlund is a natural scoring forward, so it makes sense to keep him up. If Ferland comes back from injury soon, would you sit Seto or send back Sven or Ferland, who only had a partial game? Hartley seems to like what he sees from Seto (who knows why). Jooris is playing with the same attitude as Bouma, so how long can you keep him up?

Seeing the chemistry that Johnny developed with Monahan, it's likely we see that combo for the time being. Colborne could easily take the 2nd line C with Hudler and GlenX. The third could consist of Granlund, Byron, and Seto. Substitute Sven for Byron if you keep him up, or Byron for Ferland. The 3th line is pretty much ok with Jooris, Bouma and Bolig.

After Stajan, Backs and Raymond come back, most or all of the kids go back. Maybe Jooris is kept up, which likely puts Seto on waivers.

I think that Hartley is giving Setoguchi as much ice time as possible before before everyone comes off of IR.

I feel that Seto has until then to impress; or we may well see him put on waivers, and sent to Adirondack if he clears.

If/when all of our vets are healthy, only Gaudreau and one of Granlund or Jooris will stay.

Baertschi & and Ferland will be sent back down to the AHL.

I wish we could have seen more of Ferland, I still have hopes of him being a NHL regular in a season or two.

I think that Hartley is giving Setoguchi as much ice time as possible before before everyone comes off of IR.

I feel that Seto has until then to impress; or we may well see him put on waivers, and sent to Adirondack if he clears.

If/when all of our vets are healthy, only Gaudreau and one of Granlund or Jooris will stay.

Baertschi & and Ferland will be sent back down to the AHL.

I wish we could have seen more of Ferland, I still have hopes of him being a NHL regular in a season or two.

Technically, if Ferland comes back prior to the others, he could see game action. The fact that he was placed on IR has me believing that he will get sent down when healthy, and Poirier, Knight or Arnold could get the call in the next day or so. Probably after the Addy game on the 10th.

Adirondack Flames (5-6-1-0) vs Rochester Americans (6-6-0-0) @ 05:05 PM MST [Mon, November 10, 2014]

Listen Live (For the addicts)
Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

The road trip continues against the Jr. Sabres with Adirondack looking to duplicate the road success Calgary has been having. A victory will complete the climb to 0.500.

The pillage of of the Adirondack cupboards continues with Max Reinhart getting the call up.

Although one never wants to see players put on IR, it does allow us to evaluate several of our prospects at the NHL level.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ AMERICANS - adirondackflames.com

AMERKS LOOK TO GET BACK ON WINNING TRACK TONIGHT AGAINST ADIRONDACK - amerks.com

For the Flames, another game against Rochester - poststar.com

Max Reinhart recalled by Calgary Flames - poststar.com

Rochester Amerks to face Adirondack - democratandchronicle.com

Calgary Flames Future Watch - calgaryflames.com :)
(Coverage of all the Flames prospects in the AHL-ECHL- CHL-College-Europe)

Adirondack Flames 4 (6-6-1-0) vs Rochester Americans 3 (6-7-0-0)

1. ADK Poirier, (3) (Cundari, Culkin), 2:30

1. RCH Adam, (3) (McCabe, Dalpe), 6:43

1. ADK Arnold, (1) (Wolf, Potter), 9:45 (PP)

1. ADK Hathaway, (4) (Reid, Yonkman), 16:32

2. ADK Arnold, (2) (Van Brabant), 0:13

2. RCH Adam, (4) (Varone, Larsson), 7:12 (PP)

3. RCH Armia, (5) (Varone), 2:29 (SH)

Complete Boxscore

Bill Arnold had a big game.

Definitely hoping his development progresses well & he gets a chance to play with Gaudreau in Calgary.

Adirondack looks to continue their winning ways on Friday against the Lake Erie Monsters (Colorado).

FLAMES 4 AMERICANS 3 - adirondackflames.com

ADAM’S TWO GOALS NOT ENOUGH TO GET BY FLAMES - amerks.com

Flames make it three wins in a row - poststar.com

Bill Arnold steps up against Rochester - poststar.com

Adirondack Flames have a lot of scoring firsts - poststar.com

Rochester Amerks fall to Adirondack - democratandchronicle.com

Another Point for Wolf but end of 2nd he had 1A but -1 that means on any Goal against the Adirondack Flames he was on Ice.

For an Player who wanna Battle and play both ends is that not a got stats. But its always along hard road. Our next match up is on 7 March. Its been a while till then.

Adirondack Flames (6-6-1-0) vs Lake Erie Monsters (4-6-1-1) @ 05:30 PM MST [Fri, November 14, 2014]

Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

Consecutive games in Cleveland against the Colorado Avalanche's AHL affiliate complete Adirondacks 5 game road trip.

With 3 wins so far, the Flames are looking to climb above the 0.500 mark for the 1st time this season.

Maybe we could even get a goal like this one that the Grand Rapid Griffins had against the Monsters on Wednesday.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ MONSTERS - adirondackflames.com

Monsters First-Ever Matchup vs Adirondack Flames - lakeeriemonsters.com

Flames look to stay hot on road - saratogian.com

Never a dull moment in AHL travel - poststar.com

Trevor Gillies is eligible to play in the 2nd game Saturday after serving his 12 game suspension.

With the contempt & criticism evident on these forums & elsewhere after the incident, will we welcome him back with open arms?

Adirondack Flames (6-6-1-0) vs Lake Erie Monsters (4-6-1-1) @ 05:30 PM MST [Fri, November 14, 2014]

Consecutive games in Cleveland against the Colorado Avalanche's AHL affiliate complete Adirondacks 5 game road trip.

With 3 wins so far, the Flames are looking to climb above the 0.500 mark for the 1st time this season.

Maybe we could even get a goal like this one that the Grand Rapid Griffins had against the Monsters on Wednesday.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ MONSTERS - adirondackflames.com

Monsters First-Ever Matchup vs Adirondack Flames - lakeeriemonsters.com

Flames look to stay hot on road - saratogian.com

Never a dull moment in AHL travel - poststar.com

Trevor Gillies is eligible to play in the 2nd game Saturday after serving his 12 game suspension.

With the contempt & criticism evident on these forums & elsewhere after the incident, will we welcome him back with open arms?

It's his history that bothers me. Getting re-instated bothers me, as the team seems to be giving him a 2nd chance.  If they sit him down and tell him he doesn't ever pick another fight, unless in response to another team's goonery, then I'll give him a pass for now. We have or will have assets in the AHL that need to be looked after.  A team guy will fight for his bothers, but not go looking for it.

Adirondack Flames 4 (7-6-1-0) vs Lake Erie Monsters 2 (4-7-1-1)

1. ADK Hanowski, (4) (Tousignant), 13:41

1. LE Sgarbossa, (1) (Schumacher, Smith), 14:54

1. LE Vincour, (1) (Agozzino, Street), 16:33

2. ADK Arnold, (3) (Poirier, Cundari), 3:38 (PP)

2. ADK Hanowski, (5) (Wotherspoon), 4:14 (PP)

3. ADK Hanowski, (6) , 19:36 (EN)

Complete Boxscore

FLAMES DO THE MONSTER MASH - adirondackflames.com

Lake Erie Monsters fall to Adirondack Flames, 4-2 - cleveland.com

Monsters fall to Flames, 4-2 - morningjournal.com

Adirondack Flames win fourth straight - poststar.com

Adirondack with 4 consecutive road wins. Hanowski with 3 goals to take the team lead at 6.

The Flames also jump into 2nd place in the Northern Division & the 7th seeding for the Western Conference.

Amazing how their success, despite all the call-ups, replicates Calgary's success despite all the injuries.

Rematch tomorrow morning 11:00 AM MST. Can they make it a perfect 5/5 road trip?

Don't expect to see Johnny Gaudreau - poststar.com

Flames, IceHogs have fun with Twitter - poststar.com
CHRONICLE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: TURNER ELSON - adirondackflames.com

Adirondack Flames (7-6-1-0) vs Lake Erie Monsters (4-7-1-1) @ 11:00 AM MST [sat, November 15, 2014]

GAMEDAY: FLAMES @ MONSTERS - adirondackflames.com

Its a 1pm Puck Drop Saturday at The Q - lakeeriemonsters.com

Adirondack Flames 3 (8-6-1-0) vs Lake Erie Monsters 2 (4-7-1-2) [sO]

1. ADK Knight, (4) (Wolf), 16:57

2. LE Street, (1) (Agozzino, Vincour), 3:45

3. LE Smith, (4) (Bourke), 2:24

3. ADK Arnold, (4) (Poirier, Yonkman), 9:24

Shootout

Adirondack: Knight - Goal / Tousignant - Goal / Hanowski - No Goal / Poirier - Goal = 3
Lake Erie: Sgarbossa - Goal / Vincour - No Goal / Smith - Goal / Street - No Goal = 2

Complete Boxscore

The road trip successfully concludes with a Monster sweep & a perfect 5/5 record.

There were no play stoppages for the entire OT so 3v3 was not observed.

Adirondack with their 1st SO of the season with Poirier scoring the official SO winner.

Poirier also with a helper as he continues to make his case for an NHL spot.

Brad Thiessen in goal for the win.

THE DRIVE FOR FIVE IS COMPLETE - adirondackflames.com

Lake Erie Monsters lose to Adirondack Flames, 3-2, in shootout - cleveland.com

Adirondack Flames sweep road trip - poststar.com

Adirondack returns home for a 5 game homestand starting with the Chicago Wolves (STL) on Tuesday.

I'm so sad I missed this, I had to work. 

Arnold is starting to find the back of the net with the help of Poirier, those 2 seemed to have found some chemistry.

Porier with the shootout game winner to add some confidence, I hope to see him keep this up and make it real hard for the flames not to bring him up to check him out.

Chicago Wolves (10-3-2-0) vs Adirondack Flames (7-6-1-0) @ 5:00 PM MST [Tue, November 18, 2014]

Adirondack returns home after a very successful 5-0 road trip. Tonight they play the St Louis Blues AHL affiliate.

The Wolves will be a good test for the Flames following their recent turnaround from a dismal start to the season.

An undrafted Calgary-born player, Taylor Vause, was signed to a PTO yesterday.

PREVIEW: WOLVES @ FLAMES - adirondackflames.com

Adirondack Flames aims to keep rolling against Chicago - saratogian.com

Tale of the Tape: Nov. 18 - chicagowolves.com

Flames win in spite of absences - poststar.com
Taylor Vause signs PTO - poststar.com   [Taylor Vause - theahl.com  / Taylor Vause - eliteprospects.com]

Butler joins the Blues after "humbling" AHL stint - kmov.com [Ex-Flame movement - Leopold out-Butler in]

Calgary Flames Future Watch - calgaryflames.com :)
(Coverage of all the Flames prospects in the AHL-ECHL- CHL-College-Europe)

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats

Chicago Wolves 0 (10-4-2-0) vs Adirondack Flames 3 (8-6-1-0)

1. ADK Tousignant, (3) (Vause, Agostino), 14:15 (PP)

2. ADK Knight, (5) , 15:18 (SH)

3. ADK Reid, (1) (Hathaway), 19:22 (EN)

Complete Boxscore

The win streak continues at 6 with a 28 shot SO by Joni Ortio.

Adirondack has now won 8 of their last 9 games.

One has to wonder what will happen when the Calgary players start returning from IR and players start coming back to Glens Falls.

Upcoming games are Friday night against Syracuse Crunch (TBL) & Saturday night against Rochester Americans (BUF).

SHUT OUT BOY - adirondackflames.com

Wolves blanked by Ortio, Flames - chicagowolves.com

Adirondack Flames shut out Chicago Wolves to extend winning streak to six - saratogian.com

Mathieu Tousignant is almost halfway to last year's goal total - poststar.com

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats

Back to Vermont from the Adirondack game tonight, and here are a few observations:

1. First, and overall the young Flames played a pretty solid all-around game and got the shut-out as mentioned above. The game reminded me very much of watching the Calgary team with two exceptions. Although the systems, and attempted plays were very similar the execution re connecting on passes wasn't quite up to the level of Calgary (not unexpected).

The team was skating very well, was fast and quick on the attack while ch threw off the opposition continuously. Leading the charge with sped were Garnet Hathaway (perhaps the best player), Corban Knight, Kenny Agostino, Hanowski (who looks much thinner and faster) and Taylor Vause (the young kid on the PTO). Also noted for hustle were Cundari, Tousignant, Poirier and David Wolf).

2. The second, and most obvious difference was the junior Flames don't have a Brodano among them to secure the puck and either skate/pass it out of trouble. This was very noticeable. Although I wouldn't point to anyone in particular as playing poorly, they more than a few times got boxed in and could not get it out. Once in particular in the third the puck was iced twice consecutively, then finally passed back to Ortio who pounced on it to get a whistle and line change. Part of the problem was losing it on the boards, other times errant passes and finally just getting rattled by the substantial Chicago forechecking. Whatever you do, don't blame Culkin, Acolatse or Ramage as they were all healthy scratches.

3. Ortio played pretty well, with at least 4 great glove saves. Outside of one puck-handling gaffe that led to a great opposition scoring chance, he was solid and deserving of the shut-out.

4. Tousingnant scored the first goal on a tic-tac-toe down low passing play set-up by Vause on the PP. Knight got the second on a breakaway after a great individual defensive play, penalty killing up high after poking the puck forward to himself. And lastly, Reid finally scored the EN goal after Wolf had just missed seconds earlier.

5. Other notables. Arnold & Knight on face-offs, plus Van Brabant, Gillies and Hathaway hits.

6. Thought the refereeing was notably one-sided, with The Flames getting 2 PPs and Chicago at least 6-7. Seemed like at least 3 were marginal/poor calls but without video replay it's hard to tell for sure. Sieloff got a double major and game misconduct for Elbowing (didn't look like it, looked clean to me) then he got jumped and had to fight. In the end Chicago got a 3 minute PP from it midway through the third which was their best, and last chance to pull within one. The PK was great all night and even out scored their PP so they deserve lots of kudos.

Overall my brother and I thoroughly enjoyed the game, as did the sizeable 2500-3000 person mid-week crowd, many of whom seem genuinely excited about having the Flames there. Win streak now up to 6 games. Looking forward to the weekend games...

Back to Vermont from the Adirondack game tonight, and here are a few observations..........

Overall my brother and I thoroughly enjoyed the game, as did the sizeable 2500-3000 person mid-week crowd, many of whom seem genuinely excited about having the Flames there. Win streak now up to 6 games. Looking forward to the weekend games...

That is so awesome cccsberg :)

Thanks for your detailed colour commentary as they give a little more meaning to our arms-length observations.

I may be aggregating Adirondack data & links in this thread but it certainly doesn't beat actually watching them live.

Thanks Triple C:You probably saw the one game that Poirier didn't get a point. Hope you get to see some more games and get a better handle on him and Arnold (one of my faves). For some reason, I think those two are destined to be on the Flames this year, even if it's just a grande coffee.

Both played very well. Poirier is definitely fast, outrunning line mates and he just missed on a couple breakaway passes. Arnold also very strong, but since he almost always plays that way it doesn't stand out like it does with others.

I agree both are bound for the Flames.

Archived