Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

theahl.com/transactions

11/21/2014 Corban Knight © Adirondack DEL Recalled from loan by Calgary (NHL)

11/21/2014 Max Reinhart © Adirondack ADD Returned on loan from Calgary (NHL)

Calgary swaps Corban Knight and Max Reinhart - poststar.com

Another chance for Knight to show his stuff. Reinhart will likely get another call-up in the future.

The day is coming where the transactions will be one-way to Adirondack unless we eliminate some driftwood.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syracuse Crunch 1 (9-5-3-0) vs Adirondack Flames 4 (10-6-1-0)

1. ADK Wolf, (3) (Vause, Wotherspoon), 0:13

2. SYR Witkowski, (1) (Richard, Kunyk), 17:42

2. ADK Vause, (1) (Poirier, Wolf), 19:58

3. ADK Reid, (2) (Cundari), 11:56 (PP)

3. ADK Poirier, (4) (Cundari, Reid), 16:56 (PP)

Complete Boxscore

Winning streak extended to 7 games now. Goals 13 seconds into game & 2 seconds before the end of the 2nd.

Maybe Syracuse was distracted by the Frozen Dome Classic tomorrow afternoon in front of a huge crowd (29,000+).

Poirier, Wolf, Cundari, Vause and Reid all with 2 pt nights. Recent additions Vause & Reid looking like keepers.

The numerous Calgary call-ups seem to be giving the players the real possibility of a big show call-up based on merit.

Next game tomorrow night with Buffalo's AHL affiliate the Rochester Americans (8-8-1-0) in town.

Crunch win streak snapped by Flames - syracusecrunch.com

Adirondack Flames snap Syracuse Crunch's points streak with 4-1 win - syracuse.com

Adirondack Flames get off to quick start - poststar.com
Vause, Flames make it seven wins in a row - poststar.com

FLAMES CRUNCHITIZE SYRACUSE FOR SEVENTH STRAIGHT WIN - adirondackflames.com

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats

Very curious to see if Emile Poirier will get a crack at the big club soon. The NHL is another step up. Hopefully he is able to become a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. Feaster would look like a genius. Good hands, shot, speed, and drives the net.

Just curious from someone familiar with Adirondack if their are any major holes in his game that would prevent him from getting considered for a call up.

I feel as if ive just read the same thing 3 times over...

Poirier has had a strong showing since he came back from injury, he entered a team that was ravaged by injurys and is still getting worse. Yet Poirier keeps shining, Imagine if he had linemates like Granlund/Ferland ect that have been pulled up to the flames.

It's going to be interesting to see what both teams end up looking like after everyone's back from injurys.

Poirier is a beast. As for the call up, possibly a little later. He did come off of a big surgery. I would rather he rip it up a little here and call him up when he would actually replace a player or hlp with an NHL playoff push rather than for just a short burst with injury. Same goes with Arnold (who is having a pretty solid season so far himself, let him build up and be a solid option for 4th line C when we can afford to let our 4th line play 10-12 minutes a night).

Just back from my second of four Adirondack Flames games. Enjoying it greatly, as they've extended their win streak to seven and fairly well outplayed the Syracuse Crunch (Tampa Bay).

Also enjoyed seats in the third row directly behind the Flames bench ($24, free parking). Don't think I can park and get a beer for that in Calgary... an aside. What great seats! Never been that close to the bench so it was interesting to see the coaches (intense, but calm) and the inner workings of line jugglings. It's quite the operation, and those guys are definitely winded when they come off. It's also fun to see their intensity and celebrations of success.

Let me start with the scoring summaries. Wolf opened the scoring on the first zone entry of the game on a beautiful bang bang quick wrestler from in close off a nice feed from Vause, who's there on a PTO (more on him later). After much of the early first where Syracuse pinned the Flames deep a couple of times, and a pretty even second, they finally scored on a long, tipped shot that found its way past Ortio. That seemed to get the Flames riled up and the last couple shifts of the second the Flames pressed and potted their second of the game, from a scramble by Vause with assists to Wolf and Poirier. In the third the Flames dominated, scoring two PP goals, first a point slap shot by Reid, and secondly a quick release from the slot by Poirier hitting the upper left corner.

Calgary lead in shots every period and by 34-27 at the end. The D played fairly well all night with no major gaffes or bad passes that I noticed. Culkin, Acolatse and Ramage were again healthy scratches, as were Elson and Knight, who I later learned has been called up to Calgary. That's a relief, we had thought he must have been injured. Of the defence men, Stevenson and Yonkman were hitting machines (honourable mention Sieloff), while I noted several good D plays from Cundari. Of the forwards Bryce Van Brabant lead all players in hits, and even fought, coming to the aid of Poirier in the first. Wolf and Poirier also had some hits and were gritty all night. Wotherspoon and Potter were both both steady and just seemed to get the job done.

In the face-off dot Arnold was the go-to guy and had a very strong night, the others about even, or worse. Arnold was strong on his skates, back check and moving the puck all night. Agostino and Hanowski were solid, if unremarkable, while Tousignant was very active, as was Vause... Kind of in a Jooris type of way.

The most impressive player to me, though is Wolf. This guy is strong, hustles all over the ice and is deceptively quick. He doesn't blow by defenders like Poirier, he rather skates up to them, looks them down, then lowers his shoulder and gives a quick burst to an inside or outside lane so he can drive to the net, get a quick shot off or find the open man. He had two points tonight and could have had more had a couple of back door passes been finished. If Wolf doesn't get some time in Calgary this year I'd be very surprised.

Lastly, but not least of all, Ortio played another strong game, with at least 4 noted great saves and good positioning all night.

That's it folks. Another game tomorrow evening...

Love the fact that Wolf looks like he is doing well. Was excited when we signed him. Not because I figured we would get a top end European talent, but because from what I've seen of him, he fits the role of a third line power-forward pretty well, or even fourth line on a team that actively rolls four lines. And definitely glad to hear Arnold is a go-to guy in Addy, late round pick that I hope turns out well for us. And proving that his success wasn't solely because he played with Johnny Hockey Gaudreau helps as well. But you have to wonder how much harder he is working so he can play on the big club with one of his best friends.

Thanks again for the update cccsberg. Very well written and seems like a good time to be there to watch it.

Rochester Americans (8-8-1-0) vs Adirondack Flames (10-6-1-0) @ 5:00 PM MST [sat, November 22, 2014]

Listen Live (For the addicts)
Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

PREVIEW: AMERICANS @ FLAMES - adirondackflames.com

AMERKS LOOK TO TAKE DOWN RED-HOT FLAMES TONIGHT IN GLENS FALLS - amerks.com

OK third game in the bag, a 2-1 win over the Rochester Americans, Buffalo's farm team. That makes 8 straight wins!

Goals were both scored in the first period. First on a fat rebound, by Hanowski, and the second a PP wrist shot from the slot by Brodie Reid and tipped by Bryce Van Brabant.

Overall the Flames dominated every period in shots, ending with 47 vs 28 for Rochester, and that is generous to the visitors. Midway through the game the Flames were outshooting almost 3:1, but after Rochester scored on a scrambled play that ended up right on Grigorenko's stick in front of the net, Rochester started pushing a bit harder to equalize. The third was pretty balanced with each side getting some great chances but no scoring.

The star of the game was probably one of Rochester's defence men, but I couldn't tell as bodies were flying everywhere. What you could see was their goalie, Makarov, making first stops right, left and Center but also giving up massive huge pizzas for rebounds all night, and the Flames not able to connect on any after the first.

For Adirondack, Poirier was flying the first half of the game with some excellent passes to trailers. Then came Hanowski and Agostino, also solid, as was Reinhart in his first game back. Van Brabant hit everything that moved, as did Stevenson and Hathaway. The back-up goalie, Thiessen was very good too and got the well-deserved win.

All in all it was a strange game, The Flames dominated but Rochester kept hanging around till the end and couldn't quite manage to get the equalizer.

OK third game in the bag, a 2-1 win over the Rochester Americans, Buffalo's farm team. That makes 8 straight wins!

Goals were both scored in the first period. First on a fat rebound, by Hanowski, and the second a PP wrist shot from the slot by Brodie Reid and tipped by Bryce Van Brabant.

Overall the Flames dominated every period in shots, ending with 47 vs 28 for Rochester, and that is generous to the visitors. Midway through the game the Flames were outshooting almost 3:1, but after Rochester scored on a scrambled play that ended up right on Grigorenko's stick in front of the net, Rochester started pushing a bit harder to equalize. The third was pretty balanced with each side getting some great chances but no scoring.

The star of the game was probably one of Rochester's defence men, but I couldn't tell as bodies were flying everywhere. What you could see was their goalie, Makarov, making first stops right, left and Center but also giving up massive huge pizzas for rebounds all night, and the Flames not able to connect on any after the first.

For Adirondack, Poirier was flying the first half of the game with some excellent passes to trailers. Then came Hanowski and Agostino, also solid, as was Reinhart in his first game back. Van Brabant hit everything that moved, as did Stevenson and Hathaway. The back-up goalie, Thiessen was very good too and got the well-deserved win.

All in all it was a strange game, The Flames dominated but Rochester kept hanging around till the end and couldn't quite manage to get the equalizer.

What's the story on this Brodie Reid? He's was picked up by the Flames AHL team as a free agent, right? He seems to be picking up points, and is a RHS RW'er. Tall, but not heavy. Is he any good? Or just lucky?

In the three games I have watched I've been focusing on other guys. Looking back at notes I'd say he's definitely been in on a lot of scoring, has made some good hits, passes and D plays, so all in all one of the better players. Can't say that he has especially stood out, but then again I've been concentrating on others.

My final game is Wednesday, snow permitting me to get there, and I'll make sure to focus on him for some more notes.

Overall thoughts to date on the team as a whole is they seem to be playing a very similar style to Calgary, which is their plan, but it's still good to see the execution. I believe there are multiple players that could make the jump and contribute in lessor line roles (e.g. Arnold, Hanowski, Agostino and etc), with Ortio, Poirier and possibly (?) Wolf in upper line roles. Both Wotherspoon, Sieloff and Culkin can make mid-level D from what I see today. They also have some smaller players that seem to be playing the speed/agitator roles a la Byron, including Tousignant and Vause (PTO) and some new guys I haven' t really focused on yet.

The group definitely seem to be playing together as a team and more than occasionally get going in that high-tempo, fast-skating, quick-passing mode the Calgary Flames are also playing. Coaches seem to be involved during the game, with good communication and even short teaching moments mid-game right after a player comes off a shift and before he gets to sit down.

With them on an 8-game win streak and winning all three games I've seen to date there haven't been a lot of negatives. Bad passes have been few and far btween, the worst thing I can think of is they occasionally get hemmed into their own end but it hasn't been consistent or just certain players, at least I haven't noticed.

In terms of the opposition, Brett Sopel of the Chacago Wolves (St Louis) definitely has some size and skill (former NHLer) but seemed pretty disinterested otherwise nobody really stood out. For the Syracuse Crunch (Tampa Bay) they had several forwards that were fast and really drove play in the offensive zone, I'm thinking Ikonen and Gourde but could be mistaken. Finally for Rochester Americans (Buffalo) I thought Ruhwedel seemed like a terrific, fast puck-moving D. They also had a few other pretty good D.

Got to get my golf attire ready as the clouds have parted and it's nearly 65 degrees F so all for now. GFG and GAFG!

Thanks again cccsberg for your accounts of your Glens Falls adventure.

Those camo-jerseys must have seemed fairly strange.

As I was on my own adventure this weekend I missed posting the results & links from the game on Saturday.

Rochester Americans 1 (8-9-1-0) vs Adirondack Flames 2 (11-6-1-0)

1. ADK Hanowski, (7) (Wotherspoon), 7:56

1. ADK Van Brabant, (5) (Reid, Cundari), 11:00 (PP)

2. RCH Grigorenko, (6) , 18:19

Complete Boxscore

Eight consecutive wins & counting. What a turnaround from the start of the season.

One would have thought with Calgary raiding their bigger name players they would have continued to stumble.

This probably says a lot about the team as a whole with the right mix of players & what is appearing to be a successful team system similar to Calgarys. The goaltending duo of Ortio & Thiessen appears to be working out great too.

FLAMES HOLD OFF AMERICANS 2-1 - adirondackflames.com

MAKAROV MAKES 45 SAVES IN 2-1 AMERKS LOSS TO FLAMES - amerks.com

Reinhart a boost to Flames, who win eighth straight - poststar.com

Adirondack Flames kill 26 straight penalties - poststar.com

Amerks fall to AHL's hottest team - democratandchronicle.com

Next game is Wednesday at home to the Maple Leafs AHL affiliate Toronto Marlies (5-10-2-0)

Needham's Arnold working his way to the NHL - needham.wickedlocal.com

Sena Acolatse returns to the ice - poststar.com

Toronto Marlies (5-10-2-0) vs Adirondack Flames (11-6-1-0) @ 5:00 PM MST [Wed, November 26, 2014]

Twitter Feed (RT game updates) - twitter.com/AHLFlames - This is a active RT twitter feed. Sate your addiction.
Twitter Feed (Post Star) - twitter.com/dianacnearhos - Another active twitter feed from the Post Star AHL beat writer

Two teams on streaks, Adirondack winners of 8 & Toronto losers of 7.

You can never take a beaten down team for granted so the Flames will have to remain at the top of their game.

Still curious when some players are going to start dropping down from Calgary; David Jones is ready to go with Joe Colborne close behind. Devin Setoguchi was placed on waivers this morning; Will he be picked up by another team on a gamble or will he attempt to regain his edge with Adirondack in the coming weeks?

PREVIEW: MARLIES @ FLAMES - adirondackflames.com
Marlies Take on Adirondack Flames at 7pm - marlies.ca

Flames activate Jones, demote Knight - wptz.com
Taylor Vause making most of chance with Adirondack Flames - saratogian.com
Ryan Huska makes practices competitive - poststar.co
Adirondack Flames raise more than $16,000 for Wounded Warriors - poststar.com

Adirondack Report: 24.11.14 - Future Watch - flames.nhl.com

Prospect Of The Week: Joni Ortio - Future Watch - flames.nhl.com

AHL Western Conference Notebook, November, 2014 - hockeysfuture.com
WEEKLY REVIEW: 11-24 - adirondackflames.com

Flames notebook: Devin Setoguchi experiment over - calgaryherald.com

AHL Divison Standings   AHL Conference Standings   Adirondack Skater Stats   Adirondack Goaltender Stats

Calgary Flames Future Watch - calgaryflames.com :)
(Coverage of all the Flames prospects in the AHL-ECHL- CHL-College-Europe)

Toronto Marlies 2 (5-11-2-0) vs Adirondack Flames 3 (12-6-1-0)

1. TOR Mikkelson, (1) (Abbott, Watling), 10:23

3. ADK Hanowski, (8) (Wolf), 0:45

3. TOR McKegg, (7) (Leivo, Brown), 7:00

3. ADK Hanowski, (9) (Vause, Cundari), 11:30 (PP)

3. ADK Arnold, (4) (Wolf, Hathaway), 17:10 (PP)

Complete Boxscore

The streak continues...a come from behind win extends it to 9 & counting. The PK streak up to 27 also.

They play Utica Comets Friday night only 3 points behind for 1st in the North Division.

Corban Knight will be back & potentially Devin Setoguchi if the Flames & an unclaimed Setoguchi pursue that option.

Number nine is looking fine - adirondackflames.com

Flames rally past Toronto Marlies to remain red hot - saratogian.com (Source Typo)

Hanowski scores two as Flames win ninth in a row - poststar.com

Adirondack Flames Comeback and Win 9 Straight Against the Toronto Marlies - sethcooperadk.sportsblog.com
Adirondack Flames hand Toronto Marlies their eighth loss in a row - cp24.com

Corban Knight returns to the Adirondack Flames - poststar.com
Devin Setoguchi could be headed to Adirondack - poststar.com

Not Rocket Science For Flames Netminders - adirondackflames.com

11/27/2014 Corban Knight © Adirondack DEL Recalled from loan by Calgary (NHL)

11/27/2014 Devin Setoguchi (RW) Adirondack ADD Loaned from Calgary (NHL)

11/27/2014 Devin Setoguchi (RW) Adirondack Added

11/27/2014 Nathan Moon © Adirondack DEL Released from PTO

Devin Setoguchi assigned to AHL - poststar.com

Nathan Moon reassigned to ECHL - poststar.com

Devin Setoguchi now has 2 choices.

Re-program himself into an NHL-calibre player with the help of the Flames organization or fade into the sunset.

If he steps it up he may "earn" another shot with Calgary or generate interest from another team prior to the trade deadline. In the meantime, I hope he helps Adirondack continue their excellent play & creates some exciting hockey for the fans in Glens Falls.

Adirondack Flames (12-6-1-0) vs Utica Comets (13-4-2-0) @ 7:00 PM MST [Fri, November 28, 2014]

Adirondack on the road again with a chance to extend their win streak to 10 against the Canucks AHL affiliate.

The Flames are only 3 points behind the Comets for 1st in the North Division.

They were also the last team to beat the Flames.

Unknown whether Devin Setoguchi will be in the lineup tonight as he was not at the morning skate.

In case your wondering, the record for consecutive wins in a season belongs to the Norfolk Admirals who won an astounding 28 regular season games to finish the 2011-12 season. They would go on to capture the Calder Cup.

PREVIEW: FLAMES @ COMETS - adirondackflames.com

GAMEDAY: Comets (13-4-2-0) vs Flames (12-6-1-0) - uticacomets.com

Flames try to keep win streak going in Utica - poststar.com

They are 11W and 1L since this outburst. Go Addy Go!

The Fames are currently the worst team in the AHL.
One win in 7 games.
Most goals against.
Most penalized team, by a long shot.
David Wolf has 0 PIM
Only 2 forwards with more than 1 pt.
Baert is -8
O pts for Baert, Reinhart, Arnold, Van Brabant plus others

Are we having a big sulk fest down there or what? Do they all think they should be in the NHL? Presently Granlund is the only guy you dare call up if req'd. I think it's time for Burkie to make a trip to kick some checking from behind including the coaches.

Too all the people that under rated our AHL team after their slow start, have some damn faith. This is just the beginning. 

Coming from someone that watched the majority of the game's last year, this team is not sub-par.

And this is happening during all the recalls aswell...

Archived