Adirondack Flames Updates [2014-15]

I am a little surprise but not completely shocked. I think it was a bit if a red flag, as far as ward was concerned, that they sent Craig Conroy down there to be very hands on with the day to day almost like they didn't quite trust Ward too manage the team and they also spoke a lot about how thy wer trying to bridge the gap between how things were done at the AHL level and NHL level. Seems to be that ward just didn't quite fit the ideologies of huge new regime. I thought he was a good coach and doing a solid job of development, not a great job though IMO, so I think ther is a high probability of getting someone just as good.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to think this one out a bit before adding my 2 cents worth...

Ward seemed to be doing a good job for most of his time with the Heat, but this last season many of his decisions were questionable and I think that some of problems became more noticeable...

He tended to favor some of the ECHL call-ups and players on AHL contracts over the Flames own signed prospects when the organizational mandate was first and foremost to develop their own prospects...   I have no doubt that this error was pointed out to him, more than once...   The development of key players on the Heats roster that are on the short list and are close to making the step to the big club is no doubt extremely important to the parent club...   Where those players being handled as well as well as possible and consistently being put in the best position to develop and succeed as far as in how and when they where utilized?...   Maybe not in the minds of Burke and Treliving, and more than a few times I wondered about that myself...

Ward seemed compelled to roll all four lines no matter what the circumstances during an individual game were, and even worse when the roster was half filled with ECHL players and when both the the Flames and Heat benches were depleted with injuries, he continued to do so and the Heat suffered for it...   Again, this calls into question what affect that may have had concerning the development of the higher profile Flames prospects...

They no doubt want the Addy Flames to play the same system as the big club, and perhaps Ward's coaching style just could not match up with Hartley's...   He had time to adapt, but from what I saw when the Heat tried to play the same system, Ward seemed to have trouble implementing it and instead of sticking with the plan he would fall back into his habits...   That confuses players, and also does not groom prospects properly for the big club...

For the most part Ward seemed to do fine with player management in regards to helping young players that were capable of progressing to be more mature players and prepare them to be professional athletes...   But his ability of being able to turn the team into one with the drive to win could quite possibly have fallen into question...   Hearing how Treliving has spoken so far, we know that he shares Burkes philosophy about winning and creating a winning culture and they are also both quite outspoken about some subjects including that one, while Ward came across as being more passive a lot of the time...

Then there is how truculence is obviously important to Burke, and everyone under him had best agree with him on that...   Perhaps Ward didn't...

While it's possible that Ward and Ftorek couldn't agree on terms or didn't want to re-sign due to the relocation, after seeing the brevity of the press release simply saying that Ward's contract was not being renewed,  I would have to agree with those that feel this was a quiet "firing" handled as amicably as possible in respect for the time and hard work that Ward has put in...

This wasn't a knee jerk decision...   Burke took his time before letting Feaster go and also before hiring Treliving, and nothing has been done on a whim since his arrival, unlike Feaster...   That said, we also know that Burke does not have a lot of patience with anything on his priority list, and getting the Addy Flames onto a better path is no doubt high on that list...   I would bet that Burke and Treliving have been compiling a list of candidates for a while already...

If this decision had been made by Feaster I might have more reservations about it as Ward has more hockey smarts than he does in my opinion...   But both Burke and Treliving have far more in the way of hockey smarts than Jay could ever hope to attain in ten lifetimes, and I not only trust their decision on this, I agree with it...   I am curious to see who the new coach will be and how the next season will unfold...

I liked Ward and appreciate the fact that he also did a lot of good for the Heat during his tenure with the team,  but I think that this is a positive move for the Addy Flames and also the Flames themselves...   I wish Ward well, and believe that it won't be long until he gets another job in the AHL, or perhaps even as an assistant with an NHL team...   Hopefully he is a good fit on whatever team he continues his career with and I wish him success, except of course when he is playing against the Flames..   ;)

Had to think this one out a bit before adding my 2 cents worth...

Ward seemed to be doing a good job for most of his time with the Heat, but this last season many of his decisions were questionable and I think that some of problems became more noticeable...

He tended to favor some of the ECHL call-ups and players on AHL contracts over the Flames own signed prospects when the organizational mandate was first and foremost to develop their own prospects...   I have no doubt that this error was pointed out to him, more than once...   The development of key players on the Heats roster that are on the short list and are close to making the step to the big club is no doubt extremely important to the parent club...   Where those players being handled as well as well as possible and consistently being put in the best position to develop and succeed as far as in how and when they where utilized?...   Maybe not in the minds of Burke and Treliving, and more than a few times I wondered about that myself...

Ward seemed compelled to roll all four lines no matter what the circumstances during an individual game were, and even worse when the roster was half filled with ECHL players and when both the the Flames and Heat benches were depleted with injuries, he continued to do so and the Heat suffered for it...   Again, this calls into question what affect that may have had concerning the development of the higher profile Flames prospects...

They no doubt want the Addy Flames to play the same system as the big club, and perhaps Ward's coaching style just could not match up with Hartley's...   He had time to adapt, but from what I saw when the Heat tried to play the same system, Ward seemed to have trouble implementing it and instead of sticking with the plan he would fall back into his habits...   That confuses players, and also does not groom prospects properly for the big club...

For the most part Ward seemed to do fine with player management in regards to helping young players that were capable of progressing to be more mature players and prepare them to be professional athletes...   But his ability of being able to turn the team into one with the drive to win could quite possibly have fallen into question...   Hearing how Treliving has spoken so far, we know that he shares Burkes philosophy about winning and creating a winning culture and they are also both quite outspoken about some subjects including that one, while Ward came across as being more passive a lot of the time...

Then there is how truculence is obviously important to Burke, and everyone under him had best agree with him on that...   Perhaps Ward didn't...

While it's possible that Ward and Ftorek couldn't agree on terms or didn't want to re-sign due to the relocation, after seeing the brevity of the press release simply saying that Ward's contract was not being renewed,  I would have to agree with those that feel this was a quiet "firing" handled as amicably as possible in respect for the time and hard work that Ward has put in...

This wasn't a knee jerk decision...   Burke took his time before letting Feaster go and also before hiring Treliving, and nothing has been done on a whim since his arrival, unlike Feaster...   That said, we also know that Burke does not have a lot of patience with anything on his priority list, and getting the Addy Flames onto a better path is no doubt high on that list...   I would bet that Burke and Treliving have been compiling a list of candidates for a while already...

If this decision had been made by Feaster I might have more reservations about it as Ward has more hockey smarts than he does in my opinion...   But both Burke and Treliving have far more in the way of hockey smarts than Jay could ever hope to attain in ten lifetimes, and I not only trust their decision on this, I agree with it...   I am curious to see who the new coach will be and how the next season will unfold...

I liked Ward and appreciate the fact that he also did a lot of good for the Heat during his tenure with the team,  but I think that this is a positive move for the Addy Flames and also the Flames themselves...   I wish Ward well, and believe that it won't be long until he gets another job in the AHL, or perhaps even as an assistant with an NHL team...   Hopefully he is a good fit on whatever team he continues his career with and I wish him success, except of course when he is playing against the Flames..   ;)

Very well put..thanks for that! Many points I hadnt considered, but looking now it makes more sense. Like most I was shocked because he was winning, but youre right, he was winning with the wrong players.

I thought he did a good job of getting the players into playing calgary flames hockey, but too many times our best prospects sat on the bench in favor of winning.. as much as winning creates culture and is certainly the goal, the purpose of the farm is to create flames players and develop the players we send down. Some good cases in point, I dont believe Sven was getting the focus he needed..when Ortio was up, jmac got the ice time, not Roy,

With the stream of prospects Adirondack will start seeing, we need someone who can develop, not just win with what hes given.

I totally agree, Troy is a great coach, team manager. He will make a good nhl coach I believe sooner than later, it will be interesting to see who gets put there. Im guessing Pascall's national program ties may come into play.

Historically I have been critical of Ward's reliance on veterans. But this season players like Granlund and Reinhart led the team in points and were giving ice time in all positions. Ortio carried the starter position. Ferland had a great rebound under Ward. Baertschi was coming around. All of the players looked ready in their call ups. Etc.

I don't think this is a situation where there was something wrong with Ward. I think this is a case of a new management team wanting their guys in place.

Historically I have been critical of Ward's reliance on veterans. But this season players like Granlund and Reinhart led the team in points and were giving ice time in all positions. Ortio carried the starter position. Ferland had a great rebound under Ward. Baertschi was coming around. All of the players looked ready in their call ups. Etc.

I don't think this is a situation where there was something wrong with Ward. I think this is a case of a new management team wanting their guys in place.

That's what my thought is too, like you said mgmt wants their guys and wanted to start fresh due to the move to Adirondack.  Sad to see him go but it's time to write a new chapter and that's what I think really labels us in a full-on-rebuild. Final nail in the proverbial coffin so to speak.

Take everything that was here prior to said step and build how management likes, then they are able to better assess what is and is not working as they are the ones to establish it.  I don't think this will harm our prospects, it was an experience that everyone learned from and can take it into next season and build on it with whoever they get to coach.

• 2 months later...

That's what my thought is too, like you said mgmt wants their guys and wanted to start fresh due to the move to Adirondack.  Sad to see him go but it's time to write a new chapter and that's what I think really labels us in a full-on-rebuild. Final nail in the proverbial coffin so to speak.

Take everything that was here prior to said step and build how management likes, then they are able to better assess what is and is not working as they are the ones to establish it.  I don't think this will harm our prospects, it was an experience that everyone learned from and can take it into next season and build on it with whoever they get to coach.

Not only that, everyone who is playing in Adirondack will get a fresh start. Treliving said that was the case with all the players in the system, including the ones on the team, so at least the new coaching staff can assess the prospect pool and continue with their development.

• 1 month later...

The baby Flames should have some very good forward depth this year.

Baertschi/Granlund/Reinhart

Ferland/Knight/Poirier

Agostino/Arnold/Jooris

Wolf/Tousignant/Hanowski

Van Brabant/Elson/Hathaway

The whole 1st line could end up in Calgary sooner rather than later.

The baby Flames should have some very good forward depth this year.

Baertschi/Granlund/Reinhart

Ferland/Knight/Poirier

Agostino/Arnold/Jooris

Wolf/Tousignant/Hanowski

Van Brabant/Elson/Hathaway

The whole 1st line could end up in Calgary sooner rather than later.

As much as I like Rino, I think Ferland or Poirier might be better options.  Poirier for his speed, feistiness, and skill as a finisher.  Ferland for his grit and net presence.  Either of these guys can be NHL call ups this year.  Both are RW capable.

They signed 6'6" Yonkman, who can help protect the investments there.

There are so many possible guys to chose from.  Awesome looking team.  Not even counting our guys still in junior or across the pond.

Against the Jets in the preseason one of the opposing players repeatedly cross checked Colborne while he face down on the ice.  McGrattan attempted to do something about it the next shift and all he managed to do was get a penalty.  The Jets scored.  Stestito threw a dirty elbow on Gaudreau in the preseason and nothing came out of that.  You don't want to put your goons out with your great players.  But if they aren't out there they can't do squat to protect them. 

I am getting a bit tired of this archaic thinking the Flames are employing.  Fourth lines full of goons that can't play hockey.  Guys signed because they are big.  Big contracts to players like Engelland.  Drafting with an eye on size.  Etc. I didn't see anything in Yonkman's game to suggest he is a better hockey player then the other guys inline for the position or available on the market. 

I agree that size is beneficial to a hockey team.  But hockey skill is a requisite that some of these guys simply don't have.  

Adirondack Flames 1 (0-1-0-0) @ Rochester Americans 6 (1-0-0-0)

2. RCH Schaller, (1) (Ruhwedel, Carrier), 3:55

2. ADK Agostino, (1) (Hanowski), 11:21

2. RCH Grigorenko, (1) (Armia), 16:19

2. RCH Ruhwedel, (1) (Larsson, Varone), 18:05 (PP)

3. RCH Ellis, (1) (Bagnall, Carrier), 3:10

3. RCH Armia, (1) , 10:53 (PS)

3. RCH Varone, (1) (Ruhwedel), 18:02 (PP)

Complete Boxscore

ADIRONDACK 1, ROCHESTER 6 - adirondackflames.com

Baby Sabres throttle Baby Flames. 1st game jitters on the road.

Line brawl near end of game.

Home opener against Albany tomorrow night.

Meet ‘Scorch,’ the terrifying and deadly new mascot of the Adirondack Flames hockey team - Washington Post

Excerpt - Designing the perfect mascot can’t be easy. If it were, there would be no excuse for this latest abomination in mascotry. Meet the new mascot of the Adirondack Flames, an AHL hockey team. His name is Scorch.

I have become an instant fan. So far out there yet so stupendous. Harvey's days may be numbered.

ADKScorchy_zpsf089dac7.jpg

Trevor Gillies Slams William Carrier's Head to the Ice (10/10/14)

The Gillies truculence. Unfortunately I would consider that suspendable. :unsure:

Hope so. First he jumps someone that is already engaged. Then he jumps the other player and starts punching. The other guy hadn't even dropped his stick yet let alone his gloves. He beats up on him until he goes down and then smashed his head into the ice.

We don't need Gilles. We have plenty of tough guys. Hope the Flames get rid of him. The guy has a history and clearly he hasn't grown past it.

That play is disgusting. Why is Gillies even playing? Carrier is a skill player not a fighter at all. Imagine if the kid wasn't wearing a visor.

I like truculence as much as anyone, but that wasn't truculence that was sheer stupidity and cowardice. This guy shouldn't play another game for any team affiliated with the Calgary Flames.

Is anyone else worried about Ortio? He was terrible in pre season and he was in net for all 6 goals last night.

That play is disgusting. Why is Gillies even playing? Carrier is a skill player not a fighter at all. Imagine if the kid wasn't wearing a visor.

I like truculence as much as anyone, but that wasn't truculence that was sheer stupidity and cowardice. This guy shouldn't play another game for any team affiliated with the Calgary Flames.

Is anyone else worried about Ortio? He was terrible in pre season and he was in net for all 6 goals last night.

A little. I have never been all that big of a fan, but I thought he made some pretty good strides last season and it's early this season.

Archived