The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Uh-oh. "Welcome to CNRL Place". It will need maintenance as soon as it opens, but they'll find the right engineer to algorithm the problem away until there's a critical failure. Then we can even have a motto!

"Welcome to CNRL Place. True to Form". At least we can say the team falling apart comes upon it honestly.lol

I am actually surprised that ATB or Telus haven't paid for naming rights yet.

Telus Future Friendly Arena in Calgary as opposed to the Rogers (insert name for arena or stadium or field).  Or the TFFA for short.  No worse than Climate Pledge.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I am actually surprised that ATB or Telus haven't paid for naming rights yet.

Telus Future Friendly Arena in Calgary as opposed to the Rogers (insert name for arena or stadium or field).  Or the TFFA for short.  No worse than Climate Pledge.

ATB or Telus I can see I agree, or even ATCO Excellence Centre is another one with a monopoly on the province.

1 minute ago, medatswhoP said:

ATB or Telus I can see I agree, or even ATCO Excellence Centre is another one with a monopoly on the province.

I focused on Telus because they already advertise with SN.  Telus has a budget for social investment, and while that's not specifically social responsibility, it can help drive more community involvement.

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I thought you would like it since you are in Edmonton and are therefore an Oilers fan

There are a few of us faithful Flames fans up here.  I am not allowed to publicly name them.  Have seen jerseys, car flags and license plates.  

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There are a few of us faithful Flames fans up here.  I am not allowed to publicly name them.  Have seen jerseys, car flags and license plates.  

well, it sounds strange hearing that you're in Edmonton.   must be hard on you lol.

If it makes you feel any better I have deep family ties with the Oilers organisation.   I buy their kids Flames gear.  They buy my kid Oilers gear.

It all gets thrown out.

what we do, lol

52 minutes ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

Do ther are some news about the arena/finance? Nothing on the timeline? It's hard to follow the politic proces here over sea 🤷‍♂️

Home wasn't built in a day.lol

Without question they're still in design research so no timelines in place that I'm aware of.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Without question they're still in design research so no timelines in place that I'm aware of.

I don't even think they passed it yet in the Leg committee.  May have, but I heard nothing after the election. 

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thank you for the "update". I know it will take some time, but I did not foresee how much the election result can influence the agreement between the parties involved.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

$39M doesn't seem like very much in the grand scheme of the build. 

Here's the link for context. Money gets earmarked from specific sources for specific things. This $39mil is likely going to infrastructure design and research. Bureaucracy is filled with all sorts of insurances, assurances, re-assurances, auditing the re-assurances, have 74 more meetings, somebody said hello instead of good morning, you get the picture!

You can't spend $1bil on something that costs $300mil without massive amounts of inefficiency from the front end. Can't turn a spade without having 50% of the budget gone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/smith-government-flames-arena-39-million-1.6954672

• 1 month later...

This thing better be good, the city are winding up with a worse deal than if worked with the 2017 proposals and we'd have a rink by now might have avoided the rising costs.  Glad it really looks like its going forward, but the path to get there was a disaster.  If people thought Sutter was tough on rookies, his old boss just obliterated a rookie city council.

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

This thing better be good, the city are winding up with a worse deal than if worked with the 2017 proposals and we'd have a rink by now might have avoided the rising costs.  Glad it really looks like its going forward, but the path to get there was a disaster.  If people thought Sutter was tough on rookies, his old boss just obliterated a rookie city council.

Well in hindsight was it not the city that created the issue to begin with? If the original deal had been followed through on this would not be an issue. I think I mentioned a long time ago, that this would end up costing the tax payers and city more in the end because of bad decisions at the council level. This problem is a pandemic in most cites with poor decisions at the government level only to cost more in the end, not surprised at all by this.

6 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Well in hindsight was it not the city that created the issue to begin with? If the original deal had been followed through on this would not be an issue. I think I mentioned a long time ago, that this would end up costing the tax payers and city more in the end because of bad decisions at the council level. This problem is a pandemic in most cites with poor decisions at the government level only to cost more in the end, not surprised at all by this.

The bigger part of the argument was cost overruns, not climate stuff.  City ends up paying all instead of some.  I don't know if the final numbers are better for city, but the province is in there to help some of the overall costs.  Think it's more around infrastructure than building.

Governments no longer worry about any future planning. It's all a PR show because they know that the vast majority of people don't care about debt or can see long term. Plus they won't be around long enough to get any flack for it. 

It's ridiculous at all levels (including CESC) that this was not done 10 years ago when it could have been done at half the cost.  Heck I hated CalgaryNext and it's to the point that would have been a better deal for the City than this one. Mind you can't blame ether side for not forseeing a pandemic. 

Just brutal all around really.