The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You mean the Value Villiage one?

I was actually just making a joke about JJ wanting to tank the season(s).

Lol, I thought it was that design where you can see into the building, one of the first they showed when they were developing the designs and pushing for an agreement. 

Just now, robrob74 said:

Lol, I thought it was that design where you can see into the building, one of the first they showed when they were developing the designs and pushing for an agreement. 

Yep, I think we are talking about the same one.  Oilers fans were the ones calling it VV.

Hionestly, the outside is not the most important thing.

I don't want it to look like an Art Gallery, which the VV design sorta had some similarities to.

The old Glendale Arena was nice, really didn't seem out of play and was functional.

Had an escalator in it.  Was roomy inside.

The dome is a fire hazard for pushing people into small areas.

There is enough funtional design research out there to give a decent design.

I think we are still a ways from the final version.

I think you may see a teazer put out to gauge interest.

I figured I'd try and save you guys some money and get chat GPT to design the new arena. 

You're welcome.

The Calgary Flames, a team with a fiery spirit, deserve an arena that reflects their passion for the game. Let’s envision a remarkable home for them:

The Flames’ Blaze Arena

Design Concept:

The Flames’ Blaze Arena draws inspiration from the team’s name and the iconic Calgary Stampede. It seamlessly blends modern architecture with rugged western aesthetics. Here are the key features:

1. Cowboy Hat Roof: The arena’s roof takes the form of a gigantic cowboy hat, paying homage to Calgary’s cowboy heritage. The brim extends outward, providing shade to the exterior plaza and creating a dramatic entrance.

2. Rodeo-Inspired Facade: The exterior walls mimic the texture of weathered leather chaps, complete with intricate stitching patterns. Rustic wooden beams frame the entrances, evoking the spirit of a rodeo corral.

3. Flame Sculptures: At each corner of the arena, towering flame sculptures rise toward the sky. These dynamic structures represent both the team’s name and the city’s resilience.

4. Saddle Seats: Inside, the seating bowl features saddle-shaped seats—a nod to the famous Calgary Stampede rodeo. Each seat is upholstered in fiery red and embossed with the Flames’ logo.

5. Bonfire Concourse: The concourse level boasts a central gathering area called the Bonfire Concourse. Here, fans can warm up by faux bonfires, surrounded by stacked firewood logs.

6. Starry Sky Ceiling: Above the seating bowl, a retractable roof reveals a starry night sky during evening games. Constellations twinkle overhead, creating a magical atmosphere.

7. Chuckwagon Food Stalls: Concession stands resemble colorful chuckwagons, serving up hearty western fare. Fans can enjoy pulled pork sandwiches, chili, and sizzling steak bites.

8. Saloon-Style Lounges: Premium seating areas include saloon-style lounges with swinging doors. Fans sip their drinks while discussing game strategy, just like cowboys at a frontier watering hole.

9. Goalpost Cacti: Instead of traditional goalposts, we have cactus-shaped goalposts. When a goal is scored, LED lights illuminate the cacti, simulating a fiery bloom.

10. Stampede Parade Entrance: The main entrance resembles the starting point of the Calgary Stampede parade. Fans walk through a grand archway adorned with oversized belt buckles and cowboy boots.

Technical Details:

• Seating Capacity: 18,300 seats (slightly fewer than the Saddledome).
  • Construction Start: December 2024.
  • Expected Completion: August 2026.

The Flames’ Blaze Arena will ignite the city’s pride and become a beacon of energy for all Calgarians. 🔥🤠

A hockey arena shaped like a cowboy hat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find a thread that this post would fit into seamlessly so I'll try it here. Mods please feel free to move it if you find a more suitable thread.

I think that the Flames should and are probably planning ahead to ice a competitive team when the new arena is due to open for the 2027/2028 season (4.5 years).

Calgary has Markstrom under contract for the next 2.25 seasons.

I don't expect any substantial drop off in his play during that period of time, so I'd prefer to keep him.

I strongly feel that the Flames should trade Vladar before next season begins to open a spot for Wolf to study/back-up under Markstrom. I'm not at all concerned about the return on Vladar. So far at age 26, he has not shown that he can be any better than a lower to middle of the pack NHL backup. He cost Calgary a 3rd round draft pick to obtain, even recouping a 4th or 5th would be fine by me.

IMHO, the Flames need veterans to help the younger players progress in their NHL careers.

They currently have Markstrom for (2.25 seasons w/NMC), Andersson (2.25), Backlund (2.25 w/NMC), Coleman (3.25), Kadri (5.25 w/NMC), Weegar (7.25), and Huberdeau (7.25 w/NMC), to fill those roles for the interim.

Out of all of them, I feel that only Andersson might be re-signed at the end of his current contract as he will only be 29 years old at that time. The rest will be aged out.

I fully expect that Kylington will be extended at the end of his contract this year and he is a year younger than Andersson.

Overall, I expect the Flames to finish in the bottom 1/3rd of the league for at least the next 2.25 seasons which could potentially garner them up to 3 Top 10 draft picks of their own.

Of course; drafting, scouting, and development will be crucial if they want to build a competitive team for the opening of the new arena.

• 1 month later...