Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Heard some interesting tid-bits on the radio today on the goalie market.

Jeff Marek show, was talking about Saros to LA. Believe it was Marek that said he believed the ask from NSH was Byfield. LA was probably wise to say no. Looks like it will take quite a bit to land Saros though. 

Greg Wyshynski was on with Logan Gordon in the afternoon. Said he spoke with Tom Fitzgerald after the Keefe presser. Said Fitzgerald told him that the Devils will improve their goaltending via trade.

Eric Duhatschek had a mailbag on the Athletic. He mentioned that he believed the Markstrom-NJ deal ended up falling through, in-part because Calgary really wanted Dawson Mercer.

Saros for Byfield.  Sounds as crazy greedy as Markstrom for Mercer.  Flames have always like Mercer since the draft but there's no way.

Anyways, best bet now is to trade Markstrom+28th for NJD's 10th.

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Heard some interesting tid-bits on the radio today on the goalie market.

Jeff Marek show, was talking about Saros to LA. Believe it was Marek that said he believed the ask from NSH was Byfield. LA was probably wise to say no. Looks like it will take quite a bit to land Saros though. 

Greg Wyshynski was on with Logan Gordon in the afternoon. Said he spoke with Tom Fitzgerald after the Keefe presser. Said Fitzgerald told him that the Devils will improve their goaltending via trade.

Eric Duhatschek had a mailbag on the Athletic. He mentioned that he believed the Markstrom-NJ deal ended up falling through, in-part because Calgary really wanted Dawson Mercer.

Lines up with other stuff that's been out there since the TDL. Sounds like Saros was never on the block and if Nashville trades a goalie, I'm not sure it will be him.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Saros for Byfield.  Sounds as crazy greedy as Markstrom for Mercer.  Flames have always like Mercer since the draft but there's no way.

Anyways, best bet now is to trade Markstrom+28th for NJD's 10th.

Excellent goalie is the cornerstone of a team.  I don’t think the asks are greedy at all.  You notice that both LAK and NJD failed spectacularly. We’ll see what they do at the draft…

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Lines up with other stuff that's been out there since the TDL. Sounds like Saros was never on the block and if Nashville trades a goalie, I'm not sure it will be him.  

I agree. "Taking calls on" seems to end up being, "looking to trade him".

As folks openly discuss NJ and LA in the goalie market, I expect TML and Detroit are in the same market. They just keep a tight lid on things.

The Wings are "okay" in net with Lyon and Husso, but in the market for sure. TML definitely needs more than Woll, who has become, "oft-injured" Woll.

Ullmark, Gustavson might be other bonafide starters on the market, but I think those needy teams are on the overpay side of things. It's a sellers market, imho. Some of those teams can't afford to wait.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. "Taking calls on" seems to end up being, "looking to trade him".

As folks openly discuss NJ and LA in the goalie market, I expect TML and Detroit are in the same market. They just keep a tight lid on things.

The Wings are "okay" in net with Lyon and Husso, but in the market for sure. TML definitely needs more than Woll, who has become, "oft-injured" Woll.

Ullmark, Gustavson might be other bonafide starters on the market, but I think those needy teams are on the overpay side of things. It's a sellers market, imho. Some of those teams can't afford to wait.

Can't afford to wait.  Also, OTT and BUF have been too patiently waiting.  It's time they trade their top pick for immediate help.  Flames should make everyone available... Markstrom, Weegar, Andersson, etc.

My hope is with new a CEO, the Flames will have a longer leash to do a full rebuild.  Don't let business get in the way of hockey decisions.  At least, not for the next 2-4 years.

On 5/29/2024 at 5:15 PM, The_People1 said:

Can't afford to wait.  Also, OTT and BUF have been too patiently waiting.  It's time they trade their top pick for immediate help.  Flames should make everyone available... Markstrom, Weegar, Andersson, etc.

My hope is with new a CEO, the Flames will have a longer leash to do a full rebuild.  Don't let business get in the way of hockey decisions.  At least, not for the next 2-4 years.

Agreed, everyone over 25 should be considered as a moveable option…build a young core now to move forward with then draft BPA in every round of only:

RS Ctrs

RS D

year after year these players are Alain demand from top to bottom of the line up. This ensures every draft you have some form of asset that teams always want, you can fill a lot of holes with a surplus of RS Ctrs and RS D at the TDL every year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Agreed, everyone over 25 should be considered as a moveable option…build a young core now to move forward with then draft BPA in every round of only:

RS Ctrs

RS D

year after year these players are Alain demand from top to bottom of the line up. This ensures every draft you have some form of asset that teams always want, you can fill a lot of holes with a surplus of RS Ctrs and RS D at the TDL every year.

Exactly.  Just from an asset accumulation perspective, get those RHS.  That's where the money is.

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Exactly.  Just from an asset accumulation perspective, get those RHS.  That's where the money is.

I'm a RHS. just turned 30 though. 😅

I also play all 3 forward positions and dabbled in defense in my younger days.

Sorry. At the bar rn reminiscing about my time playing hockey 😁😁

Greetings from Milan everyone!!! 

1 hour ago, Sarasti said:

I'm a RHS. just turned 30 though. 😅

I also play all 3 forward positions and dabbled in defense in my younger days.

Sorry. At the bar rn reminiscing about my time playing hockey 😁😁

Greetings from Milan everyone!!! 

sign you for league min depth! Still 6-10x more than I get paid per year being a teacher! 

• Haha 1

So sounds like NJD and Cgy have resumed Marksrtom talks.

added to that NJD said 10 OA is and option but would take something significant to move it.

what we know, NJD wants some more “sandpaper”‘up front, another D and a legit #1 Goalie.  Added to that Broudeaur who’s in the NJD org, is very high on Markstrom so that puts him at the top of NJD’s goalie list.

the other Tidbit is that there are more teams now interested in Markstrom.

the other very odd thing is Cgy happens to have all 3 of the NJD needs in Anderson, Markstrom and Manji 

maybe a block buster deal involving those three and the 10th OA plus (well obviously plus) 

I’m kinda wondering if maybe:

to NJD:

markstrom

anderson

manj

vcr’s first

to Cgy:

njd’s 10th OA 

mercer

holtz 

is this fair? Over pay? 

clearly addressed a number of needs for Cgy less D which with 2 top 10 picks plus the guys we grabbed in the TDL could work, Mercer addresses one of the top 2 Ctr position and between now and 2026 with both Backlund (fore sure) and maybe even Kadri possibly moving on (either by retirement or chasing a cup) drafting and bringing in another Ctr over the next few drafts + D things could rebound very well in just 2 years or so (give or take a year) 

just spitballing, there are a 1000 different possibilities, but one thing we do know is Cgy has crap luck, the draft conditions were a miss across the board, so making a move that includes Mercer and Holtz takes some risk away..some not all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

So sounds like NJD and Cgy have resumed Marksrtom talks.

added to that NJD said 10 OA is and option but would take something significant to move it.

what we know, NJD wants some more “sandpaper”‘up front, another D and a legit #1 Goalie.  Added to that Broudeaur who’s in the NJD org, is very high on Markstrom so that puts him at the top of NJD’s goalie list.

the other Tidbit is that there are more teams now interested in Markstrom.

the other very odd thing is Cgy happens to have all 3 of the NJD needs in Anderson, Markstrom and Manji 

maybe a block buster deal involving those three and the 10th OA plus (well obviously plus) 

I’m kinda wondering if maybe:

to NJD:

markstrom

anderson

manj

vcr’s first

to Cgy:

njd’s 10th OA 

mercer

holtz 

is this fair? Over pay? 

clearly addressed a number of needs for Cgy less D which with 2 top 10 picks plus the guys we grabbed in the TDL could work, Mercer addresses one of the top 2 Ctr position and between now and 2026 with both Backlund (fore sure) and maybe even Kadri possibly moving on (either by retirement or chasing a cup) drafting and bringing in another Ctr over the next few drafts + D things could rebound very well in just 2 years or so (give or take a year) 

just spitballing, there are a 1000 different possibilities, but one thing we do know is Cgy has crap luck, the draft conditions were a miss across the board, so making a move that includes Mercer and Holtz takes some risk away..some not all.

Fitzgerald has criticized Holtz in press conferences so I'm sure Holtz is available for relatively cheap.  But Mercer is not.  It would take an overpay to get Mercer.

Based on the video I watched from the Devils fan, G is the major need BUT they would also like to add two F and two D if possible.

Yet, their only major trade chip is the 10oa so they need to use it wisely.  Markstrom realistically shouldn't cost the 10oa and I'm not sure the Flames have any single player worthy of a 10oa right now.

But perhaps some combo of a G + 2F + 2D + serious cap retention could get it done... And I'm just talking about the 10oa with Holtz thrown in.

Most likely though, teams are offering a late 1st or early 2nd for Markstrom.

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Fitzgerald has criticized Holtz in press conferences so I'm sure Holtz is available for relatively cheap.  But Mercer is not.  It would take an overpay to get Mercer.

Based on the video I watched from the Devils fan, G is the major need BUT they would also like to add two F and two D if possible.

Yet, their only major trade chip is the 10oa so they need to use it wisely.  Markstrom realistically shouldn't cost the 10oa and I'm not sure the Flames have any single player worthy of a 10oa right now.

But perhaps some combo of a G + 2F + 2D + serious cap retention could get it done... And I'm just talking about the 10oa with Holtz thrown in.

Most likely though, teams are offering a late 1st or early 2nd for Markstrom.

Watch Lebrun on TSN…from his talkings at the combine NJD are looking for:

1. Elite Goalie 

2. Sandpaper with scoring up front

3. Another D

cgy checks all of these in Anderson, Markstrom and Manji  Adding the VCR pick all be it low is still a 1st 

10 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Watch Lebrun on TSN…from his talkings at the combine NJD are looking for:

1. Elite Goalie 

2. Sandpaper with scoring up front

3. Another D

cgy checks all of these in Anderson, Markstrom and Manji  Adding the VCR pick all be it low is still a 1st 

So we are talking,

Markstrom 

Pospisil

Andersson

For the 10oa.  I would.  Not sure if NJD would.

15 minutes ago, sak22 said:

This is too bad, I really liked Rick.  I would think Singh takes over as he is already employed by Rogers and lives in Calgary but who knows.

Singh is the non-partisan guy when the BOA is in town or they play the Nucks.  

Considering some of the guys that have been here in the past, I shudder to think who they might pick.

Leah Hexstall

Loubo

The radio guy?

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Singh is the non-partisan guy when the BOA is in town or they play the Nucks.  

Considering some of the guys that have been here in the past, I shudder to think who they might pick.

Leah Hexstall

Loubo

The radio guy?

I hope it’s Singh. Not a fan of Wills, there is just a smugness about him that I don’t enjoy. Since it’s Roger’s they will go with whatever is the cheapest option.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

So we are talking,

Markstrom 

Pospisil

Andersson

What??

Hanifin and Andersson should be similar return, amirite?

2026 unprotected 1st, a 3rd that easily could've been a 2nd, and a feasible dman in Miromanov.

You're adding Markstrom and Pospisil for 1, ONE, 1 prospect?

If you're that desperate for 10th, and I'm NJ, I may as well get you to retain and take a bad contract back.

NJ would seal that deal in a hot minute.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Devastated.

Love.

I'm guilty of watching away feeds except for TBay, NYR, Boston and any other CDN team.

I just find it more informative to hear takes on our team around the league.

Ball is great, they'll love him there. Chicago's a fantastic city.

Congrats to him. I'll be hearing him vs Calgary, that should be interesting. Not vs Detroit though, Ken and Mickey are the cream of the crop.

He must be excited to watch Bedard's growth. So congrats to him growing his rep.

He'll be excellent there.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So we are talking,

Markstrom 

Pospisil

Andersson

No, are you crazy?  Huge overpayment. Add Mercer and Holz, fine…

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What??

Hanifin and Andersson should be similar return, amirite?

2026 unprotected 1st, a 3rd that easily could've been a 2nd, and a feasible dman in Miromanov.

You're adding Markstrom and Pospisil for 1, ONE, 1 prospect?

If you're that desperate for 10th, and I'm NJ, I may as well get you to retain and take a bad contract back.

NJ would seal that deal in a hot minute.

Think about where we will be next season if we made this trade. 

9 minutes ago, cberg said:

No, are you crazy?  Huge overpayment. Add Mercer and Holz, fine…

It's not a huge overpay.

Markstrom is worth a late 1st + mid tier prospect

Andersson is worth a late 1st + low end prospect

Pospisil is worth a 2nd round pick

Would you trade the Flames #9 for two late 1sts, a 2nd, and a couple low/mid end prospects?  Quality over quantity here.

Just now, The_People1 said:

It's not a huge overpay.

Markstrom is worth a late 1st + mid tier prospect

Andersson is worth a late 1st + low end prospect

Pospisil is worth a 2nd round pick

Would you trade the Flames #9 for two late 1sts, a 2nd, and a couple low/mid end prospects?  Quality over quantity here.

Is this the same value system as last year.

Toffoli was worth a 1st

Zadorov was worth at least a 2nd +

Tanev was worth similar to Chiarot

Lindholm and Hanifin 1st + top prospect + 2nd.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Think about where we will be next season if we made this trade. 

In the toilet with nobody left to trade for draft capital because we blew it all away for 1 prospect? Sounds like a 10 yr rebuild.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Is this the same value system as last year.

Toffoli was worth a 1st

Zadorov was worth at least a 2nd +

Tanev was worth similar to Chiarot

Lindholm and Hanifin 1st + top prospect + 2nd.

Flames players aren't very hot commodities right now.