Trade - Zadorov to VAN

travel_dude

7 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Really?

Montreal retained 50% of his $3.5M salary, so retaining only $1.75M netted them this return - at the trade deadline. 

Don’t fool yourself. This is an underwhelming return for a player that would’ve generated a lot of interest at the trade deadline. 

Boooooooooo! 

Ben Chiarot was playing over 23 mins a night when he was traded. The Flames were never ever going to get anything close to this in value.

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Chiarot's also better than Z.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Ben Chiarot was playing over 23 mins a night when he was traded. The Flames were never ever going to get anything close to this in value.

Really?

Last Three Year Stats Comparison

2021-2022 - 2023-2024

Search:

Name Category Wins GP G A PTS SH% PTS/G EVG EVP PPG PPP SHG SHP SOG SOG/G SOG/60 +/- PIM FOW FO% Hits BkS TOI PPTOI SHTOI

BEN CHIAROT 15 172 15 36 51 5.3 0.30 13 47 2 3 0 1 285 1.7 4.7 -36 111 0 0.0 337 331 21:21 00:38 02:37
NIKITA ZADOROV 12 177 19 30 49 7.2 0.28 19 48 0 1 0 0 265 1.5 5.0 15 180 0 0.0 396 143 17:55 00:11 01:31
Showing 1 to 2 of 2 entries
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

Really?

2021-2022 - 2023-2024

Search:

Name Category Wins GP G A PTS SH% PTS/G EVG EVP PPG PPP SHG SHP SOG SOG/G SOG/60 +/- PIM FOW FO% Hits BkS TOI PPTOI SHTOI

BEN CHIAROT 15 172 15 36 51 5.3 0.30 13 47 2 3 0 1 285 1.7 4.7 -36 111 0 0.0 337 331 21:21 00:38 02:37
NIKITA ZADOROV 12 177 19 30 49 7.2 0.28 19 48 0 1 0 0 265 1.5 5.0 15 180 0 0.0 396 143 17:55 00:11 01:31

It’s the mins per game Chiarot averaging over 21 mins Zadorov averaging 17 mins that’s the difference between a guy playing top pairing and bottom pairing. 

They weren’t going to get anywhere near the same return. Maybe he could’ve gotten a 2nd if he would have retained cap.

5 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Really?

2021-2022 - 2023-2024

Search:

Chiarot's a solid 2nd pair. FLA thought they were getting a top pair, Detroit kinda did to, but him and Seider were like oil and water and dreadful together. Z is a 3rd pair without question, a fair bit before Chiarot would be considered one, and I don't particularly like Chiarot. If Chiarot would stop rushing, I'd maybe love him. He's pretty sound and physical defensively though. Let's face it, Z is flighty. His D play is awkward at best.

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He potentially became a thorn and a distraction. Wasn't happy with his icetime...self-admitted "I speak my mind"...maybe he just had to go.

It's also being a good employer.  Player asked for a trade, it's unfortunate it had to go public.  But still.  Just do the right thing.  Try to hurry it along.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's also being a good employer.  Player asked for a trade, it's unfortunate it had to go public.  But still.  Just do the right thing.  Try to hurry it along.

I agree but on the business side (Conroy) you do what's best for the business not what's best for the player, although accommodating where it makes practical sense.

44 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Really?

Montreal retained 50% of his $3.5M salary, so retaining only $1.75M netted them this return - at the trade deadline. 

Don’t fool yourself. This is an underwhelming return for a player that would’ve generated a lot of interest at the trade deadline. 

Boooooooooo! 

I wouldn't have paid that for Chiarot, but as already pointed out the roles were different and in Chiarot's case he gained greater exposure playing big minutes for Montreal in the Stanley Cup finals the year before, Zadorov hasn't been past round 2 and his biggest Flames playoff highlight might have been contributing to McDavid's highlight reel.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, medatswhoP said:

I agree but on the business side (Conroy) you do what's best for the business not what's best for the player, although accommodating where it makes practical sense.

That's the best offer/market value for a player like Zadorov. It truly is. Hard to sleight Conroy besides the 3rd being far away.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's the best offer/market value for a player like Zadorov. It truly is. Hard to sleight Conroy besides the 3rd being far away.

It sucks having to wait for it.

From a VAN perspective, Zadorov will be long gone by then. "Why don't we have a 3rd. Oh right, Zadorov".

Why the Flames didn't have a 2024 5th, until today? Ryan Carpenter trade from two years ago lol.

• Like 1

Not a great trade by Conroy but I’ll assume this was the best offer available. It must have been a pretty toxic situation if we couldn’t wait until closer to the trade deadline where teams tend to overpay. Conroy sitting at around a C- so far for me. We’ll see what becomes of the cap space and picks I guess 

I'm not unhappy with this trade at all.

To begin with, we have no idea on how his agent's trade request impacted the dressing room.

The Flames got the services of a 3rd pairing defence man for 2+ years and came out ahead with a 5th round draft pick.

I'm not too worried about the in-division trade as no one knows if Vancouver will be able to re-sign him after this season. Even if they do, I'd only worry about his hits, not his abilities at either end of the ice or fighting skills.

If anything, I feel that trading Zadorov this early just raised the price that Calgary can ask for Hanifin and Tanev at the TDL, albeit with one less potential buyer.

• Like 1

I don’t get the Chariott comparison either. He was a top 4 guy and was billed as someone who could matchup up against top players. Wasn’t accurate but it was the reason he got so much. Z needs to be sheltered to be good so he was never going to approach Chariott level returns.  

I understand the desire to build some space but I just would have preferred they waited to get a 2nd and a pick that isn’t a few years away. Nothing to get upset about it’s just a soft return. 

what might me the most excited about this deal is if they call up Solvoyov to play full time now. 

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t get the Chariott comparison either. He was a top 4 guy and was billed as someone who could matchup up against top players. Wasn’t accurate but it was the reason he got so much. Z needs to be sheltered to be good so he was never going to approach Chariott level returns.  

I understand the desire to build some space but I just would have preferred they waited to get a 2nd and a pick that isn’t a few years away. Nothing to get upset about it’s just a soft return. 

what might me the most excited about this deal is if they call up Solvoyov to play full time now. 

I do hope it's Solo that gets the call.

Gilbert is fine, nothing special but he gets it.

Listening to Conroy, he talked about how some teams are used as a third-party and gain picks or prospects out of it, and this deal might be a bridge to his ability to gain traction in that market.

If he does pull that off, it is a breath of fresh air, as we tend to not be in those talks even if in some occasions we could have. 

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

If he does pull that off, it is a breath of fresh air, as we tend to not be in those talks even if in some occasions we could have.

That's a good take by him. We've had zero cap to be offering that. It's nice that he's put it out there. He really did need to find wiggle room within the cap. He was left virtually zero which is a big handcuff for a new GM.

How do you renovate your house with $0?

Still dying to see what Pelts will add to the roster for cheap.

• Like 1

Trying to do the math on the Horvat trade:

Van trades:

Horvat

'23 2nd to Detroit

'26 3rd to Calgary

Van receives:

Hronek

Zadorov

A. Raty

'23 4th (Detroit)

Is that correct?

Beauvillier (5th rd pick) is a wash. NYI 1st is a wash (I think?).

Decent return?

*Connected via Beauvillier and the 5th...

Edited to add the D 4th