Trade - Zadorov to VAN

travel_dude

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Backs is a notorious slow starter. Every year we have the same conversations in November and then we get to Dec/January and everyone is thankful we have him.  Looking for "proof" outside of that is silly. 

I personally think he's done an excellent job as captain. Team looks like it's having fun this year and that's not easy given what happened last year and what happened to start the year. 

I agree the Backlund extension was a big win for Conroy because he avoided a long term deal but still landed himself a good player and a good captain. 

Iginla had the same tendencies, weak Oct - Nov then come to form. At the time i'm sure people questioned why that was but I guarantee no one was accusing him of not being captain material.

So far Conroys two big moves dealt with a player that openly wanted out, maybe we should wait till he does a big move where his hands arent tied somewhat before his decision making is scrutinized.  Hes sticking to the "only keep players that want to be here" mantra and I'm 100% behind him in that view regardless of this years on ice product. Were already seeing a more exciting team because of it.

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

This is what is saving the Flames this season, and hopefully into the future. Zary, Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf, Pospisil, Solovyov, Oesterle, maybe Kylington, etc make it a lot easier to swallow trading guys like Lindholm and Hanafin. Especially when the alternative is losing them for nothing or a 60 million dollar contract that may go to waste if the Flames have to rebuild. 

I still won't be shocked to see an extension. Hanafin has played well, and the Flames don't have any big name D prospects. I think Lindholm is traded as he hasn't shown chemistry with anyone, but he is still a top 6 C so who knows. 

But I don't think the Flames will risk losing these guys for nothing. 

I wonder if it is time to make Lindholm a RW? He seemed to do well enough on RW when he didn't have Tkachuk. Although, he did have Gaudreau. Maybe he needs a full puck carrier to carry the load offensively? Huberdeau, I think is a pass it around kind of guy, why he hasn't really worked. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder if it is time to make Lindholm a RW? He seemed to do well enough on RW when he didn't have Tkachuk. Although, he did have Gaudreau. Maybe he needs a full puck carrier to carry the load offensively? Huberdeau, I think is a pass it around kind of guy, why he hasn't really worked. 

I know you have suggested in the past that we give more than a few games to players to get comfortable.  Govich has played but a few games on the top line as it is today.  SHunting Lindholm to RW means we have one less C, so everyone bumps up.

Kadri top line C

Backlund 2nd line C

After that it's guess work.

So, I would assume we would need something like:

Mange-Kadri-Lindholm

Hubey-Backlund-Coleman

Zary-Ruzicka-Govich

Greer-Dube-Pospisil

I don't argue that is couldn't work, just that it's an extreme change to all but one line.

They seem to be playing well as of late.

10 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

According to Zadorov he requested a Trade cause Calgary didnt offer him a extension imo you earn that bucko you dont just request trades cause the team hasnt offered you a extension

The Flames haven't extended any of the pending UFA's excpet Backlund.

They did Backlund because he was the logical choice for captain.

11 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

According to Zadorov he requested a Trade cause Calgary didnt offer him a extension imo you earn that bucko you dont just request trades cause the team hasnt offered you a extension

I am of the opinion he did earn an extension, and if they were going to sign him they would have. He's big and tough, and very decent for depth. Maybe costly for depth though. 

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The Flames haven't extended any of the pending UFA's excpet Backlund.

They did Backlund because he was the logical choice for captain.

but they've offered extensions to Hanifin and Lindholm. Maybe they don't try Zadorov if they don't sign Lindholm?

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

but they've offered extensions to Hanifin and Lindholm. Maybe they don't try Zadorov if they don't sign Lindholm?

That was what, back in the summer?  Not much point in re-signing your 5/6 D while you haven't signed the #2 (Hanifin) and #4 (Tanev) guys yet.

But anyway, he can say what he wants to make himself look better.  Like Tkachuk saying he wanted to be here and we wouldn't give him a long enough deal last time.  He seems to have cozied up to the FLA way of life pretty quickly.  I laugh because the last winter he was here, he went to FLA to look at boats with his pops and brother.

I think I might be one of the few that like Conroy's whole 2 trades so far. I'm not really one to overrate Toffoli and zero chance I wanted him re-signed. I'm a fan of Sharangovich and think his skillset will only improve. Toffoli wasn't exactly setting the league on fire at the same age, Add in a 3rd and I'm fine with that.

This particular trade I like because at some point we needed to start finding a way to manage out of the chains Conroy was tied up in. For the other potential trades, I don't share the, "need to replace" mindset for guys moving out. Not denying we will be left with needs, but they don't have to be tied to these trades specifically. Just put ourselves in a position to open all the various avenues to acquire players. Good players become available, we need to be in a position cap-wise and pick-wise to have competitive offers. We've sorely lacked that, so it's difficult to manage without much of a toolbox.

I'll give him a B right now in seeing that I think that he's trying to create some breathing room for himself. I can get with that.

Hopefully (for the umpteenth time), Pelletier will be back soon.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think I might be one of the few that like Conroy's whole 2 trades so far. I'm not really one to overrate Toffoli and zero chance I wanted him re-signed. I'm a fan of Sharangovich and think his skillset will only improve. Toffoli wasn't exactly setting the league on fire at the same age, Add in a 3rd and I'm fine with that.

This particular trade I like because at some point we needed to start finding a way to manage out of the chains Conroy was tied up in. For the other potential trades, I don't share the, "need to replace" mindset for guys moving out. Not denying we will be left with needs, but they don't have to be tied to these trades specifically. Just put ourselves in a position to open all the various avenues to acquire players. Good players become available, we need to be in a position cap-wise and pick-wise to have competitive offers. We've sorely lacked that, so it's difficult to manage without much of a toolbox.

I'll give him a B right now in seeing that I think that he's trying to create some breathing room for himself. I can get with that.

There was nothing wrong with either trade.

Toffoli's next deal is going to be a problem.

He's going to be expensive for whatever team has him or overpays as a UFA.

Govich was an underrated player and proved he can score with minutes.

Zaddy was traded to open up cap space as much as it was to get rid of the player.

We don't need to be a Eric Francis punch line, let's get rid of the question marks.

If all we do is get back Kylinton into the lineup, it's not even a loss of a decent player.

And you have to be blind half the time to call him a top 4.

Kylington at least played that way and kept his spot (long time ago, in a land far away).

If Kylington isn't back any time soon, then we see what 12 minutes of a bottom pair can do.

Even hockey is at least acceptable.

21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I’m greedy. I wanted more. However, I align with the rest of your post. I’m not interested in replacing bodies or positions for the ones being shipped out. I want picks / young players, and like you said - cap flexibility to open opportunities like brokering other trades to acquire assets, or even to take a good player off another team’s hands if they’re in a pickle.