2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Demidov is the best offensive talent in the draft and the most skilled player in the draft. Celebrini is the best all around talent in the draft and there is no chance that Calgary is getting him, but if you have a chance to get the guy you think is the 2nd best player in the draft you try and go for it.

New franchise player that we may not be able to get otherwise. I wonder if 9th + Anderson and Prospect could do it. CBJ need Dman bad.

Would also indicate that the Flames would most definitely be in the UFA market hard on Dman as well. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Sounds like you will need to get past MTL to get Demidov so I would agree you need to get to 4. Moving from 9-4 would be expensive and I don't get why Columbus would want to move down that far. 

Would be great but feels difficult to pull off. 

If they feel Andersson or Weegar and our 9th is enough. Does Calgary think that is fair? 

The asking price for the 4th overall is going to be stupid.

If Demidov doesn't get scooped by CHI, then many many teams above 4th will b calling.

We have to have that offer already in CBJ's ear.

They may counter at the last minute but it has to be big enough (from us) to be considered.

I don't know how good Connie is at playing live poker.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The asking price for the 4th overall is going to be stupid.

If Demidov doesn't get scooped by CHI, then many many teams above 4th will b calling.

We have to have that offer already in CBJ's ear.

They may counter at the last minute but it has to be big enough (from us) to be considered.

I don't know how good Connie is at playing live poker.

I have reason to believe he is going to do fine. I guess I am beginning to trust him and prefer he sticks to his perception of the worth of the pick, what it's worth for the Flames to buy it. If the price is too high that the team spends too much on youth, then I trust him to stick to his price he's willing to pay. 

So far, I feel comfortable with all of his trades. Some might say he got less for some, but I think he got the minimum requirement for most, and more than expected on some.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I have reason to believe he is going to do fine. I guess I am beginning to trust him and prefer he sticks to his perception of the worth of the pick, what it's worth for the Flames to buy it. If the price is too high that the team spends too much on youth, then I trust him to stick to his price he's willing to pay. 

So far, I feel comfortable with all of his trades. Some might say he got less for some, but I think he got the minimum requirement for most, and more than expected on some.

I’d agree with, if nothing else you can sum up Conroy was not having been fleeced in a trade…his worse move so far may be average…everything else above average.  he may not have hit a home run but honestly I’d rather the average to above average moves every time over crap deals with a home

run deal….BT’s last year really was horrible especially with that knee jerk signing of Hubie, that alone offset any good that came from the Lindholm and Hanifin home run.

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

11 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’d agree with, if nothing else you can sum up Conroy was not having been fleeced in a trade…his worse move so far may be average…everything else above average.  he may not have hit a home run but honestly I’d rather the average to above average moves every time over crap deals with a home

run deal….BT’s last year really was horrible especially with that knee jerk signing of Hubie, that alone offset any good that came from the Lindholm and Hanifin home run.

It's not his negotiating skill that concerns me.  He's done fine.

The speed on the draft floor has to be there.  You have to be ready to up your offer, stick, or walk away.  We have struck out in the past for many reasons.  BT was always on the phone and he always managed to move picks for picks.  But this is high stakes.  Potential game changer.  

Getting close !

I admit to being very torn on Tij

Almost hope he's gone at 9, cuz if he is there and there are 4 outcomes , 2 of which are bad .

1. We take him, and he's everything we expected . Great 

2. We take him.. he flames out and we live with the nepotism attacks for years cuz somebody after him will be a star.. always happens ...bad 

3. We pass on him, he becomes a star.. and regardless of how good our pick does ..we live with the PR nightmare . Very bad 

4. We pass on him and he flames out .. so long as our kid doesn't too..  sigh of relief ..

If he is there we almost have to take him..because 3 is way worse thsn 2 

Sup.

I promised a list.  Doin a list.   Very interesting draft, wish I had more time than I did to put this together.

Also would have been a lot of fun to do the later rounds.

1         Macklin Celebrini (C)     Boston Univ.     NCAA     38     32     32     64     18
2         Ivan Demidov (RW/C)     SKA-1946 St. Petersburg     MHL     30     23     37     60     20
3         Zayne Parekh (D)     Saginaw Spirit     OHL     66     33     63     96     64
4         Cayden Lindstrom (C)     Medicine Hat Tigers     WHL     32     27     19     46     66
5         Tij Iginla (LW)     Kelowna Rockets     WHL     64     47     37     84     35
6         Berkly Catton (F)     Spokane Chiefs     WHL     68     54     62     116     41
7         Carter Yakemchuk (D)     Calgary Hitmen     WHL     66     30     41     71     120
8         Artyom Levshunov (D)     Michigan State Univ.     NCAA     38     9     26     35     44
9        Anton Silayev (D)     Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod     KHL     63     3     8     11     10
10         Sam Dickinson (D)     London Knights     OHL     68     18     52     70     30
11                Zeev Buium (D)             Univ. of Denver     NCAA     42     11     39     50     20
12         Konsta Helenius (C/RW)     Jukurit     Liiga     51     14     22     36     10                                               
13         Beckett Sennecke (RW)     Oshawa Generals     OHL     63     27     41     68     67
14         Liam Greentree (RW)     Windsor Spitfires     OHL     64     36     54     90     33
15         Cole Eiserman (LW)     U.S. National U18 Team     NTDP     57     58     31     89     34
16         Michael Hage (C)     Chicago Steel     USHL     54     33     42     75     53
17         Trevor Connelly (LW)     Tri-City Storm     USHL     52     31     47     78     88
18         Michael Brandsegg-Nygård (F)     Mora IK      41     8     10     18     19
19              Yegor Surin (C/RW)     Loko Yaroslavl     MHL     42     22     30     52     108
20         Daniil Anatsky (C)     SKA-Yunior Krasnogorsk     MHL     41     18     25     43     42
21                Nikita Artamonov (RW)                                                
22         Igor Chernyshov (LW)     Dynamo Moskva     KHL     34     3     1     4     2
23         Sacha Boisvert (C)     Muskegon Lumberjacks     USHL     61     36     32     68     86
24         Cole Beaudoin (C)     Barrie Colts     OHL     67     28     34     62     27
25         Terik Parascak (RW)     Prince George Cougars     WHL     68     43     62     105     41
26         Emil Hemming (RW)     TPS     Liiga     40     7     4     11     0
27         Marek Vanacker (LW)     Brantford Bulldogs     OHL     68     36     46     82     55
28        Robin Nico Antenen (LW) Zug U20     U20-Elit     44     20     20     40     16 
29         Andrew Basha (LW)     Medicine Hat Tigers     WHL     63     30     55     85     48
30         Dominik Badinka (D)     Malmö Redhawks     SHL     33     1     3     4     6
31                Teddy Stiga  (LW)                       NTDP    61    36    43    79    42    47                                                         
32         Ryder Ritchie (RW)     Prince Albert Raiders     WHL     47     19     25     44     24

Take Note of:
pavel-moysevich
Russian goalies in general
Russian players in general

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Sup.

I promised a list.  Doin a list.   Very interesting draft, wish I had more time than I did to put this together.

Also would have been a lot of fun to do the later rounds.

1         Macklin Celebrini (C)     Boston Univ.     NCAA     38     32     32     64     18
2         Ivan Demidov (RW/C)     SKA-1946 St. Petersburg     MHL     30     23     37     60     20
3         Zayne Parekh (D)     Saginaw Spirit     OHL     66     33     63     96     64
4         Cayden Lindstrom (C)     Medicine Hat Tigers     WHL     32     27     19     46     66
5         Tij Iginla (LW)     Kelowna Rockets     WHL     64     47     37     84     35
6         Berkly Catton (F)     Spokane Chiefs     WHL     68     54     62     116     41
7         Carter Yakemchuk (D)     Calgary Hitmen     WHL     66     30     41     71     120
8         Artyom Levshunov (D)     Michigan State Univ.     NCAA     38     9     26     35     44
9        Anton Silayev (D)     Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod     KHL     63     3     8     11     10
10         Sam Dickinson (D)     London Knights     OHL     68     18     52     70     30
11                Zeev Buium (D)             Univ. of Denver     NCAA     42     11     39     50     20
12         Konsta Helenius (C/RW)     Jukurit     Liiga     51     14     22     36     10                                               
13         Beckett Sennecke (RW)     Oshawa Generals     OHL     63     27     41     68     67
14         Liam Greentree (RW)     Windsor Spitfires     OHL     64     36     54     90     33
15         Cole Eiserman (LW)     U.S. National U18 Team     NTDP     57     58     31     89     34
16         Michael Hage (C)     Chicago Steel     USHL     54     33     42     75     53
17         Trevor Connelly (LW)     Tri-City Storm     USHL     52     31     47     78     88
18         Michael Brandsegg-Nygård (F)     Mora IK      41     8     10     18     19
19              Yegor Surin (C/RW)     Loko Yaroslavl     MHL     42     22     30     52     108
20         Daniil Anatsky (C)     SKA-Yunior Krasnogorsk     MHL     41     18     25     43     42
21                Nikita Artamonov (RW)                                                
22         Igor Chernyshov (LW)     Dynamo Moskva     KHL     34     3     1     4     2
23         Sacha Boisvert (C)     Muskegon Lumberjacks     USHL     61     36     32     68     86
24         Cole Beaudoin (C)     Barrie Colts     OHL     67     28     34     62     27
25         Terik Parascak (RW)     Prince George Cougars     WHL     68     43     62     105     41
26         Emil Hemming (RW)     TPS     Liiga     40     7     4     11     0
27         Marek Vanacker (LW)     Brantford Bulldogs     OHL     68     36     46     82     55
28        Robin Nico Antenen (LW) Zug U20     U20-Elit     44     20     20     40     16 
29         Andrew Basha (LW)     Medicine Hat Tigers     WHL     63     30     55     85     48
30         Dominik Badinka (D)     Malmö Redhawks     SHL     33     1     3     4     6
31                Teddy Stiga  (LW)                       NTDP    61    36    43    79    42    47                                                         
32         Ryder Ritchie (RW)     Prince Albert Raiders     WHL     47     19     25     44     24

Take Note of:
pavel-moysevich
Russian goalies in general
Russian players in general

I like how you think.  Who is Robin Nico Antenen, never heard of him? I might be tempted to pick Letourneau on a go for broke swing at 28.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^

Did you add your name and picks to the top 11 and #28 pool that is pinned?

didn't see it sorry.   very limited time last few weeks.   it looks like a "guess which order the GMs will pick in" pool, which is quite a bit different than the list i put up.      guessing what mistakes the GMs will make is a whole other derivative lol.  And much harder to predict who's going to pull a Jankowski.  but I'll try and have a look if I'm free right before draft.

3 minutes ago, cberg said:

Countdown-2 hrs…

All of this for 2 prospects tonight. lol

Tomorrow will be enjoyable too. I'm almost more interested in tomorrow's 8 picks. If it stays at 8 picks.

Whoever we take, regardless of my current fandom, I'll be a fan. I've rarely had good Parekh viewings, but if it's him, he's god's gift to dmen. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

didn't see it sorry.   very limited time last few weeks.   it looks like a "guess which order the GMs will pick in" pool, which is quite a bit different than the list i put up.      guessing what mistakes the GMs will make is a whole other derivative lol.  And much harder to predict who's going to pull a Jankowski.  but I'll try and have a look if I'm free right before draft.

I think you should have swapped Levshunov and Yakemchuk. Good list outside of 28th. lol

I have Iginla, Eiserman, Greentree and Sennecke in a similar box that you have in that area of the draft. Tiggy gets the daddy bump from most though, imho.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Nah, it's just for fun and how we think it will shake out.  Isn't that more important than what we believe is the right order?  I don't intend to ever say I told you so after a draft.  It's too long a runway to actually proclaim who the best pick was.  

BTW, I think Demidov is the 2nd best in the draft and will go 2nd OA.  4 out of 12 in the pool think that.

Just now, conundrumed said:

I think you should have swapped Levshunov and Yakemchuk. Good list outside of 28th. lol

I have Iginla, Eiserman, Greentree and Sennecke in a similar box that you have in that area of the draft. Tiggy gets the daddy bump from most though, imho.

Wonder if the next kid is better and will get even more hype.

Not sure about the accuracy but was just reading that “thing have escalated” with Kadri, and team is actively shipping him…this could be very media drive so grain of salt…I’m fine with him mentoring the kids if that’s what he wants.

if he wants out I think with what he did for our young players, he’s earned that even though he’s only been here a short time last season I think he’s earned the right…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

Not sure about the accuracy but was just reading that “thing have escalated” with Kadri, and team is actively shipping him…this could be very media drive so grain of salt…I’m fine with him mentoring the kids if that’s what he wants.

if he wants out I think with what he did for our young players, he’s earned that even though he’s only been here a short time last season I think he’s earned the right…

I think it's fair to listen to Kadri after we have gone scorched earth (close to it).

7 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Kyper just a few minutes ago out out that " reliably confirmed" .. flames are not shopping Kadri..Kadri and his camp have made no requests nor have they been approached about any possible trade ..nor do they intend to request one ..

Sounds more like people looking for clicks 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Kyper just a few minutes ago out out that " reliably confirmed" .. flames are not shopping Kadri..Kadri and his camp have made no requests nor have they been approached about any possible trade ..nor do they intend to request one ..

Sounds more like people looking for clicks 

Dave Pagnotta uses the term “insider” loosely. Rarely gets anything correct.

This is gonna be a lot of fun.

It's been a long journey. @jjgallow started this thread in early November.

It's going to be quite the wild ride to pick 9. It could go so many ways. There are like 8 prospects I could see ending up with the Flames at 9th.

After all that excitement, we get to see the Flames pick again tonight. Should be a lot of fun.