2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

22 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Why not just give the 1st pick to the 17th placed team which does not make the playoffs, 2nd pick to the 18th placed team, 3rd pick to the 19th placed team, etc. Peeps mentioned this a few years ago which I argued against, but it makes sense, rewards the teams that don't make the playoffs but are still trying to win. Tanking would be eliminated. Don't really want to debate this as its been beat to death.

maybe you do that for those picks that are 5-8 instead of the last place team. Some teams need to draft that high... flames would be awarded for their murky middle mediocrity.

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Why would the Flames trade Hanifin if it keeps them towards the top of the draft order though?

Because UFA and won't re-sign here.

Are you worried there will be too little trades at TDL and that's bad/boring for fans?

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Because UFA and won't re-sign here.

Are you worried there will be too little trades at TDL and that's bad/boring for fans?

But then the question is what is more valuable. If you are trying to play your way to the number one pick, or a top 3 pick is that more valuable than the late first, b prospects and other pick Hanifin nets you? Would you rather trade Tanev for what he got or push for the higher pick?

I would value a top 3 pick over any TDL return. So in that format I would not be trading Hanifin. I think for sure any system that links wins to higher draft picks is going to discourage activity at the TDL.

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

But then the question is what is more valuable. If you are trying to play your way to the number one pick, or a top 3 pick is that more valuable than the late first, b prospects and other pick Hanifin nets you? Would you rather trade Tanev for what he got or push for the higher pick?

I would value a top 3 pick over any TDL return. So in that format I would not be trading Hanifin. I think for sure any system that links wins to higher draft picks is going to discourage activity at the TDL.

Again, i'm for anything that eliminates tanking.  I'll take the side effects.  So, sure, less activity at the TDL in exchange for the elimination of tanking is a good move forward. 

TDL itself was invented to stop bad teams from loading up before the playoffs and rendering a good team's regular season into nothing meaningful.  I'm okay if all teams do trades and roster building in the summer mainly and less trades during the season.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Again, i'm for anything that eliminates tanking.  I'll take the side effects.  So, sure, less activity at the TDL in exchange for the elimination of tanking is a good move forward. 

TDL itself was invented to stop bad teams from loading up before the playoffs and rendering a good team's regular season into nothing meaningful.  I'm okay if all teams do trades and roster building in the summer mainly and less trades during the season.

i like that idea of points after being mathematically eliminated as it would mean teams would try to win and gain as many  points as possible after that

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

1000% man.  I support any end to tanking.

Imagine Chicago Blackhawks trading away a 1st round pick to get Hanifin so they can win up the draft order?  That's what it's all about.  Winning games.  But no, we have a "sell and tank" option that GMs can deploy.  Losing to get rewarded shouldn't be an option in pro sports.

I can't decide if I agree or not lol but I might on some level.

Essentially,  the league wants "parity".

That means it's Bettman's goal to make sure that bad management,  and bad teams, do basically the same as good management and good teams.

I guess you have to ask:

1.  How your proposal fits into that objective

2.  Who decided that this objective was best for the game.

It would be really disappointing to pick 14-16th again.

The past five games have been enjoyable, but probably not ideal if the goal is to land one of the really elite talents in the top ten of this class. A five game winning streak and they are still well out of the playoffs.

Anyways, five of the next six are real tough and they'll be playing them without Hanifin.

Some names worth looking at in the 11-16 range.

21 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It would be really disappointing to pick 14-16th again.

The past five games have been enjoyable, but probably not ideal if the goal is to land one of the really elite talents in the top ten of this class. A five game winning streak and they are still well out of the playoffs.

Anyways, five of the next six are real tough and they'll be playing them without Hanifin.

Some names worth looking at in the 11-16 range.

If it comes down to these four, then I'm taking Yakemchuk.  I've seen him a couple times with the Hitmen this season.  Big, smooth skating, controlled pace, will play big when needs to, lacks flash but understands the O-zone from the points... There's lots to like.  Has 2/3-potential at the NHL level.

Due to his size and skating, his floor is low.  He's an NHLer for sure.  But I think lack of dynamic skating and flash with the puck will prevent him from being a true #1 D who can put up 50-points+ in the NHL.

Still, RHS RD with size don't grow on trees.  He's great value in the 14-16 range.

We are going mediocrity route again, only gaining some more mediocre NHLers in the process, allowing us to compete for middle of the pack on a yearly basis. 

its great that Connie is getting those players, while good, they don't push us over the edge or into contender or elite status, but competitive would be the word exchanged for mediocre. Keeping the team competitive. 

56 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We are going mediocrity route again, only gaining some more mediocre NHLers in the process, allowing us to compete for middle of the pack on a yearly basis. 

its great that Connie is getting those players, while good, they don't push us over the edge or into contender or elite status, but competitive would be the word exchanged for mediocre. Keeping the team competitive. 

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the wins over Edmonton and last night for Kipper. But the winning streak isn’t what they need.

The math is real bad. Calgary has 22 games left, five back of LA. Kings have 23 games left, six of those being against CHI, ANA, SJ. Couple that with the fact that tomorrow is very likely the last game of Hanifin, you’ve got a team not making the playoffs.

Fortunately, the difference between pick 8-14 is three points right now. The Flames play five of their next six against really good teams. With only three legitimate NHL D.

If they can pick anywhere in the top 12, they should be happy. Closer to 16th, it might make sense to trade down.

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the wins over Edmonton and last night for Kipper. But the winning streak isn’t what they need.

The math is real bad. Calgary has 22 games left, five back of LA. Kings have 23 games left, six of those being against CHI, ANA, SJ. Couple that with the fact that tomorrow is very likely the last game of Hanifin, you’ve got a team not making the playoffs.

Fortunately, the difference between pick 8-14 is three points right now. The Flames play five of their next six against really good teams. With only three legitimate NHL D.

If they can pick anywhere in the top 12, they should be happy. Closer to 16th, it might make sense to trade down.

No Tij at 16 I think.  No Yakemchuk either.  Probably the two I want the most.

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Most teams without grade A assets to trade do not get better quickly.  We dealt away three players and got back one NHL player with a contract.  We will soon deal a top D and maybe a top goalie (this season at least), so we hope to make some hay there.  But only if one of the picks we have or a trade we make gets us players on the cusp of greatness.  One third of the league is always mediocre.  One third is always building to get out of the basement but stay there long enough.  The remaining third has a team and pipeline that keeps them there.  For now.

WAS, PITTS, STL have won cups not that long ago, but all are at best mediocre.  That's just 3 off the top of my head.  Others are on the verge of becoming that way.    

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Most teams without grade A assets to trade do not get better quickly.  We dealt away three players and got back one NHL player with a contract.  We will soon deal a top D and maybe a top goalie (this season at least), so we hope to make some hay there.  But only if one of the picks we have or a trade we make gets us players on the cusp of greatness.  One third of the league is always mediocre.  One third is always building to get out of the basement but stay there long enough.  The remaining third has a team and pipeline that keeps them there.  For now.

WAS, PITTS, STL have won cups not that long ago, but all are at best mediocre.  That's just 3 off the top of my head.  Others are on the verge of becoming that way.    

It's harder these days, but there was a time when Detroit, St. Louis, San Jose among other teams were perennial contenders, and making playoffs like 12 straight years or more. I think that should be the goal, of course the Cup is, but to be there, talent in the right parts of the lineup needs to be addressed.

47 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What a year for Tij. He may push for 50, but there’s not a ton of runway left to do so. None the less, really good season. The change of scenery from Seattle to Kelowna worked wonders for him.

Tij looking good.  I'm okay taking him in the 12-16 range.  

25 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

TSN did a mock draft to kill some time today.

Button had the Flames taking Konsta Helenius at 14th. That would be an excellent pick. He's a top ten talent. 

it would be great to find some speed with hands.

Liam Greentree is quite interesting. Big body, LHS that is listed as an RW.

He leads Windsor in scoring with 81pts. 25pts ahead of their 2nd leading scorer. He is pretty much doing it himself. Was also coached by Marc Savard last year as well. 

Terik Parascak reminds me of Zach Hyman. Able to play with skill, good puck retriever, scores his goals by going to the dirty areas.

The Flames own pick is likely too early to take him IMO, because I do believe he is a (very good) complimentary player. He didn't play in the Dub as a 16yr old, 90pts as a rookie this year. For a little context though, he plays on a line with Heidt and Funk. Both are 100pt players and Funk has 61 goals.

AB kid from Lethbridge. Finished his minor hockey in the area at Edge.

Terik Parascak - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Terik Parascak reminds me of Zach Hyman. Able to play with skill, good puck retriever, scores his goals by going to the dirty areas.

The Flames own pick is likely too early to take him IMO, because I do believe he is a (very good) complimentary player. He didn't play in the Dub as a 16yr old, 90pts as a rookie this year. For a little context though, he plays on a line with Heidt and Funk. Both are 100pt players and Funk has 61 goals.

AB kid from Lethbridge. Finished his minor hockey in the area at Edge.

Terik Parascak - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

why not go for Funk or Heidt? They going higher?

sounds a bit Mangiapane to me...