2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Well that is really frustrating. 

Other than waiving Gilbert or Oesterle, what else were they going to do?

To bring up Zary, I think they only had enough LTIR space if they sent a player down.

I do also assume that the only reason why Solo was up was due to the suspension and only have 6 healthy D that could play.  To your point, I though Solo was better than both Oesterle and Gilbert.  No reason why we don't waive one of them.  They don't have to go play in the AHL, but nobody would claim them so what is the harm?  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Other than waiving Gilbert or Oesterle, what else were they going to do?

To bring up Zary, I think they only had enough LTIR space if they sent a player down.

I do also assume that the only reason why Solo was up was due to the suspension and only have 6 healthy D that could play.  To your point, I though Solo was better than both Oesterle and Gilbert.  No reason why we don't waive one of them.  They don't have to go play in the AHL, but nobody would claim them so what is the harm?  

That

Just now, cross16 said:

That

For sure, but they like those 2 for some reason.

I don't see it, I don't think either is more than a 7D.

I could give more love to Oesterle because he has played better in the past.

As a 7D, not in the the top 6.  At 31 he's not going to get better.

I think either we make a trade for an actual D-man or play the prospect.

Or wait for Kylington.

Solo is going to show some warts but so have every prospect when they started.

Gilbert isn't really a prospect and I haven't seen him look like he's improving.

Just another fringe guy.

I think Gilbert has been serviceable in his time with the Flames. Oesterle has been absolutely horrible in the games he

has played in. 

Now the Andersson is back though, I would rather Gilbert get the 10-12 mins a night that the 6th defenseman is going to get and have Solovyov get top pairing minutes in all situations in the AHL, for the time being at least. 

I think once the team commits to selling off some assets then you will see some of the younger guys come up and get key ice time.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Gilbert has been serviceable in his time with the Flames. Oesterle has been absolutely horrible in the games he

has played in. 

Now the Andersson is back though, I would rather Gilbert get the 10-12 mins a night that the 6th defenseman is going to get and have Solovyov get top pairing minutes in all situations in the AHL, for the time being at least. 

I think once the team commits to selling off some assets then you will see some of the younger guys come up and get key ice time.

Solo played 16 minutes to Gilbert's 12, so they had more faith in Solo.  

Even if it's bottom pairing minutes, he would learn in the NHL a lot better.

Plays and practices around vets, not just learning from the coach and other kids.

If it came down to a choice, I would just waive both guys and trade for an actual top 6 guy.

Practice with one of them but keep them out of games for now.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For sure, but they like those 2 for some reason.

I don't see it, I don't think either is more than a 7D.

I could give more love to Oesterle because he has played better in the past.

As a 7D, not in the the top 6.  At 31 he's not going to get better.

I think either we make a trade for an actual D-man or play the prospect.

Or wait for Kylington.

Solo is going to show some warts but so have every prospect when they started.

Gilbert isn't really a prospect and I haven't seen him look like he's improving.

Just another fringe guy.

Really should be moving on from having him in the lineup. Nothing to do with what hes going through but hes been away from the game for over a season now and theres no word on when of if he'll return. I really liked his game when he was healthy but barring a quick recovery and an even quicker time to get his game back I dont see him coming in anytime soon and sadly I dont think he'll be re signed.

Besides, this team so far is more than a middle 6 d-man away from making a difference.

34 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Really should be moving on from having him in the lineup. Nothing to do with what hes going through but hes been away from the game for over a season now and theres no word on when of if he'll return. I really liked his game when he was healthy but barring a quick recovery and an even quicker time to get his game back I dont see him coming in anytime soon and sadly I dont think he'll be re signed.

Besides, this team so far is more than a middle 6 d-man away from making a difference.

His game was fine for most of the last season he played.

He seemed to suffer a setback after the injury.

As far as him playing, that depends on the what.

It could be family still dealing with a situation or personal issues, but I won't go there.

Either or could be resolved and I have never seen his physical fitness to be a question.

Yes, it would be hard starting from square 1 in the season without the so called camp.

I haven't seen a lot of better in the players we do have.

They all look out of sorts.

Weegar is one that has looked better.

Maybe they need to abandon the system they started because it takes too long to get adjusted.

Teams that make a switch often have just gone through a rebuild.

For the future, it depends on whether he is coming back to hockey.

If he does, then I think it would be a mistake to just let him walk to another team.

Conspiracy theory, far fetched yet not out of the realm of possibility. 

Kylington was having a great season. A lot of food was happening. Career year, high expectations for the team. He goes down with an injury, a very scary one. A few millimeters away from life altering. He was never the same after. Didn't play terribly, but didn't play the same fully. Could the flames have "asked him" To come back early? So many players here play through injury. Could have anxiety over it and doesn't feel like the Flames have his back on it...

to lighten the conspiracy theory, or he just has anxiety over it. Crosby missed a lot of time through a concussion to make sure he was 100% out of the woods for it and nearly ended his career. Maybe there was more to that hit than we realize? 

I know they said family stuff. Maybe he has that thought. Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Conspiracy theory, far fetched yet not out of the realm of possibility. 

Kylington was having a great season. A lot of food was happening. Career year, high expectations for the team. He goes down with an injury, a very scary one. A few millimeters away from life altering. He was never the same after. Didn't play terribly, but didn't play the same fully. Could the flames have "asked him" To come back early? So many players here play through injury. Could have anxiety over it and doesn't feel like the Flames have his back on it...

to lighten the conspiracy theory, or he just has anxiety over it. Crosby missed a lot of time through a concussion to make sure he was 100% out of the woods for it and nearly ended his career. Maybe there was more to that hit than we realize? 

I know they said family stuff. Maybe he has that thought. Just thinking out loud.

How is this even a conspiracy?  Isn't this the mainstream narrative?  Keks

If you want a real conspiracy theory then Kylington probably got injured by the NHL's vax mandate and thus, there's such a secrecy as to why he hasn't returned to action.  He's not allowed to speak on the matter if he wants to sit on IR and collect his money.  He doesn't want to get cancelled.  He is just using "family reasons" as a misdirection... I mean, since when can you place a player on IR because of "family reasons"?  "My mom and dad are getting a divorce so I can't play hockey" is not a reason to go on IR.  It has to be approved by the NHL.  There is also no official confirmation from his family that anything is wrong with the family.  He likely can never play hockey at a high level again due to myocarditis.

But good thing I'm just spewing conspiracy non-sense right?  Extreme far fetched.  I'm just crazy.  I hope his family is doing well and his family can sort out their issues and Kylington can come off IR and return to the NHL.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If you want a real conspiracy theory then Kylington probably got injured by the NHL's vax mandate and thus, there's such a secrecy as to why he hasn't returned to action.  He's not allowed to speak on the matter if he wants to sit on IR and collect his money.  He doesn't want to get cancelled.  He is just using "family reasons" as a misdirection... I mean, since when can you place a player on IR because of "family reasons"?  "My mom and dad are getting a divorce so I can't play hockey" is not a reason to go on IR.  It has to be approved by the NHL.  There is also no official confirmation from his family that anything is wrong with the family.  He likely can never play hockey at a high level again due to myocarditis.

But good thing I'm just spewing conspiracy non-sense right?  Extreme far fetched.  I'm just crazy.  I hope his family is doing well and his family can sort out their issues and Kylington can come off IR and return to the NHL.

well, it depends on if he's in Calgary or in his home community. 

my sister has been off work since 2020 because her son was super sick with Schleroderma. When in organs it attacks aggressively and it being in his lungs he progressively lost lung function to the point needing double lung transplant just over a year ago. She went back to work for a few months once he started getting better but he has regressed and nearly died the other night. So, some family reasons are quite valid. 

This school year at work I've been working at a lot less capacity to give Satoshi Nakamotos and I can give enough to get by at the moment. My thing is, I won't get paid if I don't go in, but man it is tough. 

Kylington's family might not be going through something like this, but I feel for them if they are. We just don't know what others are experiencing. I bet many of you on here have something going on or know someone that does. It's abstract most of the time, when it's not directly affecting us.

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Okay Aaron Rodgers

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

well, it depends on if he's in Calgary or in his home community. 

my sister has been off work since 2020 because her son was super sick with Schleroderma. When in organs it attacks aggressively and it being in his lungs he progressively lost lung function to the point needing double lung transplant just over a year ago. She went back to work for a few months once he started getting better but he has regressed and nearly died the other night. So, some family reasons are quite valid. 

This school year at work I've been working at a lot less capacity to give Satoshi Nakamotos and I can give enough to get by at the moment. My thing is, I won't get paid if I don't go in, but man it is tough. 

Kylington's family might not be going through something like this, but I feel for them if they are. We just don't know what others are experiencing. I bet many of you on here have something going on or know someone that does. It's abstract most of the time, when it's not directly affecting us.

Family reasons are for sure a valid reason to ask the team for an extended leave.  But it's not a legit reason the NHL will allow you to go on LTIR, right?  Otherwise there will no longer be buyouts at the end of contracts.  Everyone can just stay home and go on IR when they are 36-years-old with two more years left at $10.5-mil because their mom or dad needs special care.

Kylington must have a medical issue.  Most probably post-concussion problems (but it's sus because he came back to play hockey two months after that freak crash into the boards)... So did he get rushed back and got injured again?  Suffering from migraines or depression or suicidal thoughts or whatever.  Possibly.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Family reasons are for sure a valid reason to ask the team for an extended leave.  But it's not a legit reason the NHL will allow you to go on LTIR, right?  Otherwise there will no longer be buyouts at the end of contracts.  Everyone can just stay home and go on IR when they are 36-years-old with two more years left at $10.5-mil because their mom or dad needs special care.

Kylington must have a medical issue.  Most probably post-concussion problems (but it's sus because he came back to play hockey two months after that freak crash into the boards)... So did he get rushed back and got injured again?  Suffering from migraines or depression or suicidal thoughts or whatever.  Possibly.

If it's at all related to post-concussion, it's more likely to be like Carey Price, hooked on opioids.  He's missed a similar amount of time, but managed to start back for a short time.  I should say that is my read of Price.  It may be booze, but doesn't really matter since it started with the injuries.  

Does the reason for his absence matter to you?  Has it made a significant impact on your life?  Are you paying him?

I really don't need to know whats going on there.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is suffering and move on.  This guy isn't the saviour, he could've very easily just had a career year like so many others on that team, so lets stop with the internet detective Satoshi Nakamoto and let his personal problems be personal until he decides he wants them not to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Does the reason for his absence matter to you?  Has it made a significant impact on your life?  Are you paying him?

I really don't need to know whats going on there.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is suffering and move on.  This guy isn't the saviour, he could've very easily just had a career year like so many others on that team, so lets stop with the internet detective Satoshi Nakamoto and let his personal problems be personal until he decides he wants them not to be.

Oh for sures.  I was only trying to say, if you are going to go conspiracy theory mode then go all out conspiracy theory mode.  

Hope Kylington comes back to action soon.  We could use him right about now.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If it's at all related to post-concussion, it's more likely to be like Carey Price, hooked on opioids.  He's missed a similar amount of time, but managed to start back for a short time.  I should say that is my read of Price.  It may be booze, but doesn't really matter since it started with the injuries.  

Yes, opioids and painkillers is another ugly problem that the NHL has and wants to keep quiet from the mainstream.  It could very well be that he was drugged on pain killers to rush back from his injury and now it's become a major problem for his life.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes, opioids and painkillers is another ugly problem that the NHL has and wants to keep quiet from the mainstream.  It could very well be that he was drugged on pain killers to rush back from his injury and now it's become a major problem for his life.

When you look at the play itself it is rather miraculous how quickly he returned to action after a fall like that.

I expected him to be out for an extended period after seeing it.

These guys are in tremendous shape though and that can lead to quick injury recovery.

1 hour ago, Sarasti said:

When you look at the play itself it is rather miraculous how quickly he returned to action after a fall like that.

I expected him to be out for an extended period after seeing it.

These guys are in tremendous shape though and that can lead to quick injury recovery.

Did you see the hit on Ruzicka where he went upside down and barely saved his neck?

Think it may have been the same game as the injury.

Tripp by the goalie, so it was likey DET game.

It was behind the net.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Zary was great tonight. He’s gonna get a long look and it’s well deserved.

I might give Coronato a night in the press box. I also wouldn’t be opposed to giving him some time with the Wranglers. Give him top line minutes. 

I think we need to re-think the wing usage.  Dube was out for "injury" of some form.  Ruzicka is still D2D.  But, aside from that Zary belongs.  As does Coronato.  The latter hasn't has consistent lines this season.  

The best wingers so far:

Ruzicka, Mangiapane, Zary, Coronato, Govich, Duehr, Greer

The players struggling the most:

Huberdeau, Backlund, Hunt

Overall, not bad but not great:

Lindholm, Kadri, Coleman, Dube

By looks, Zary, Coronato and Govich should be top 9 RW.

Figure out the complement.  I like Govich with Zary and Kadri.

I might prefer Coronato with Backlund and Mange with Lindholm.

I think that leaves Dube, Ruzicka, Coleman, and Huberdeau fighting over the top 9 LW.

Ruzicka has played the best on top line or Kadri's line.

Huberdeau is struggling with Lindholm and Kadri.

If we can keep Zary and Ruzicka is healthy, I might just suggest the following:

Ruzicka-Lindholm-Mange

Govich-Kadri-Zary

Huberdeau-Backlund-Coronato

Coleman-Dube-Duehr

Ex: Greer

Waive Hunt

I would consider some adjustments in the top 6, but I don't think Coronato is ready yet for top line.

32 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Friedman reported a veteran was likely going on waivers as a roster shakeup.  This isn't much of a shakeup but it is the guy who could be waived that needed to be.

Well, it would be senseless to waive a guy like Lindholm.  Lose a trade is more impactful than just a waiver loss.  It would be very dumb.  I think any shakeup is going to be a guy healthy scratched or a trade.  There's a short list of guys that don't deserve to be traded.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Friedman reported a veteran was likely going on waivers as a roster shakeup.  This isn't much of a shakeup but it is the guy who could be waived that needed to be.

Good riddance.  Why did we even sign him in the first place?  One of the worst in recent memory.  He needs to go.