2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

This team can't score. They're not even dangerous offensively. It's not a case of bad luck.

They have a top 10 scorer in the AHL that they picked in the first round. Worth a shot, because what they're doing right now sure isn't working.

I would also keep Solovyov up and waive Gilbert. With Andersson returning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This team can't score. They're not even dangerous offensively. It's not a case of bad luck.

They have a top 10 scorer in the AHL that they picked in the first round. Worth a shot, because what they're doing right now sure isn't working.

I would also keep Solovyov up and waive Gilbert. With Andersson returning.

Waive Osterle first before Gilbert.  Solovyov has been dependable and younger.  The franchise should stick with him and keep him in the NHL.

But yes, it's not like the Flames are getting chances and getting robbed by stud goaltending or bad luck.  The chances aren't even much every game.  We don't generate enough true danger chances and when we do the few times, we lack finish.

If Zary is ready then let's see what he's got.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Waive Osterle first before Gilbert.  Solovyov has been dependable and younger.  The franchise should stick with him and keep him in the NHL.

But yes, it's not like the Flames are getting chances and getting robbed by stud goaltending or bad luck.  The chances aren't even much every game.  We don't generate enough true danger chances and when we do the few times, we lack finish.

If Zary is ready then let's see what he's got.

Last night they were saying the high danger scoring chances were 19-4. Eek!

Love.

Despite all the talk about wanting creativity (from all level of hockey ops) and fun, the Flames have actually managed to be more boring offensively so far then they were all of last year. 

That's my biggest surprise so far. I was expecting loose D, was not expecting a more boring offence than last year. 

16 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Last night they were saying the high danger scoring chances were 19-4. Eek!

Love.

Man I want to say McDavid-Draisaitl had 19 shifts together but at the same time, if we are allowing 19 high quality chances then it's forgivable if we are generating 15+ ourselves.  Run and gun.  Trade chances.

We're not even doing that though.  Can't defend while failing to create offense.  

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Despite all the talk about wanting creativity (from all level of hockey ops) and fun, the Flames have actually managed to be more boring offensively so far then they were all of last year. 

That's my biggest surprise so far. I was expecting loose D, was not expecting a more boring offence than last year. 

So far Xs and O's have been mediocre so that falls on the coaches.  Flames very loosely goosey... Turnovers in the neutral zone have hurt the most.  Whatever we are doing isn't working and we need to make changes quickly.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So far Xs and O's have been mediocre so that falls on the coaches.  Flames very loosely goosey... Turnovers in the neutral zone have hurt the most.  Whatever we are doing isn't working and we need to make changes quickly.

I'm not sure I could even tell you what the strategy is for the Flames right now. They seems to have pivoted after the first few games.

Not going to suggest for a second that this (as in Flames level of play) is Huska's fault so want to be super clear there, but I think a young/inexperience coaching staff is panicking. There is just no connection at all with the team right now, no purpose, and no consistency in how they want to play the game. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not sure I could even tell you what the strategy is for the Flames right now. They seems to have pivoted after the first few games.

Not going to suggest for a second that this (as in Flames level of play) is Huska's fault so want to be super clear there, but I think a young/inexperience coaching staff is panicking. There is just no connection at all with the team right now, no purpose, and no consistency in how they want to play the game. 

I've always felt the first long losing streak would be the ultimate test for a new coaching staff.  We can see clearly this coaching group is folding like a cheap suit.  Biggest problem I see is this roster needs a good yelling at.  But it's hard for a "nice-guy" to turn angry.  Psychologically doesn't respond well.  Sutter's way was the proper way.  Start hard and then be nice as a reward.

The real ignominious part is that they started the preseason really trying to move the puck around. They just completely dropped it, yet it was the right path. I mean sure, it will lead to some turnovers forcing fast, but holy jesus on a bicycle, they're slow af and turnovers are all over the ice.

I need to get this off of my chest.lol.

To start preseason, Sharangovich was constantly doing one-touch passes. Trying to up the rhythm.

He gets demoted to 4th line C. I mean realistically, it's our best line and it's literally just thrown together. Can nobody on this team play with pace? No rhythm, no tempo. Zero confidence to even try.

This country music band won't even think about jazz to use an analogy. Most of the league is burning the brass section and we cling to a banjo. No offence to Bela Fleck.

We're the vegans at the steakhouse.

Anyways, there's more to just being a banjo player...and a balanced team.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I've always felt the first long losing streak would be the ultimate test for a new coaching staff.  We can see clearly this coaching group is folding like a cheap suit.  Biggest problem I see is this roster needs a good yelling at.  But it's hard for a "nice-guy" to turn angry.  Psychologically doesn't respond well.  Sutter's way was the proper way.  Start hard and then be nice as a reward.

100% agree with this paragraph, I would love just once to see Huska actually show some emotion both in public and light some fire in the dressing room, but yes follow up with rewards and positives when forward moving play commences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

100% agree with this paragraph, I would love just once to see Huska actually show some emotion both in public and light some fire in the dressing room, but yes follow up with rewards and positives when forward moving play commences.

I'm left wondering if Mitch Love would've been a better choice.  Probably not.  In Huska's defense, this isn't a team oozing with talent.  

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm left wondering if Mitch Love would've been a better choice.  Probably not.  In Huska's defense, this isn't a team oozing with talent.  

Love was my preferred option, but not because he necessarily would have fared better. I just like the idea of the rising star, and I think Ryan Huska has been behind the Flames bench too long. Smart guy, and all that, but it was a pretty milquetoast selection in my opinion. He might have been the right choice two or three coaches ago, but this one feels overcooked.

Love.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love was my preferred option, but not because he necessarily would have fared better. I just like the idea of the rising star, and I think Ryan Huska has been behind the Flames bench too long. Smart guy, and all that, but it was a pretty milquetoast selection in my opinion. He might have been the right choice two or three coaches ago, but this one feels overcooked.

Love.

I'm not sure that Love would have fared any better than Huska.

I do not feel that the issue is coaching; to me, it's all on the players.

Wrong players, wrong mix, it doesn't matter much.

Since the Flames arrived in Calgary, I have yet to see them sell off veterans and stock pile draft picks.

It is just about the only thing that they have not tried.

Sadly, I'm ready for it.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm not sure that Love would have fared any better than Huska.

I do not feel that the issue is coaching; to me, it's all on the players.

Wrong players, wrong mix, it doesn't matter much.

Since the Flames arrived in Calgary, I have yet to see them sell off veterans and stock pile draft picks.

It is just about the only thing that they have not tried.

Sadly, I'm ready for it.

Oh my gosh! I hear ya! In my opinion, the time to sell was last year at the deadline. It was pretty clear from right around January that they weren't going to go very far, even if they did make the playoffs. Some of the outrageous overpayments at the deadline last season would have looked great on the Flames! There were individuals on this board advocating for that at the time. I would have moved everyone that I could that didn't have a newborn.

Instead, we ended up with Slick Nick Richie with the season on his stick in the last shootout that mattered. This team is in some big trouble, and you've got to keep in mind, there's still one more bullet in the chamber from the Monahan trade. The Flames might not get a first round pick in June.

Love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Oh my gosh! I hear ya! In my opinion, the time to sell was last year at the deadline. It was pretty clear from right around January that they weren't going to go very far, even if they did make the playoffs. Some of the outrageous overpayments at the deadline last season would have looked great on the Flames! There were individuals on this board advocating for that at the time. I would have moved everyone that I could that didn't have a newborn.

Instead, we ended up with Slick Nick Richie with the season on his stick in the last shootout that mattered. This team is in some big trouble, and you've got to keep in mind, there's still one more bullet in the chamber from the Monahan trade. The Flames might not get a first round pick in June.

Love.

ya, I think with the deep draft. BT knew he wasn't here anymore and wasn't his place to do it. Plus owners. Maybe he even said it's a sinking ship?

8 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

The only condition on the 2024 first is that if it's between 20-32, Montreal can elect to take it. 

10 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Like what?  The biggest overpayment IMO was Tanner Jeannot and the best part of that was a 1st in 2025.  The trades for players with term or control the Chychrun trade which was a decent first and 2 2nds in later years, Ekholm trade could be good but it hinges on two things for me 1) how good will Molendyk be and 2) if they can move Barrie for anything significant this year, Schaefer doesn't appear to be that great of a prospect despite being a 1st rounder.  Naturally I don't think you will find any GM or owner who is willing to go into the tank in less than 6 months after committing close to $200 million in 3 players.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Perfect. Probably deserved a spot out of camp and has been excellent, by all accounts, so far in the A. 

I suspect Rizicka is a bit further away from starting again.  He was practicing between Govich and Kadri, whic is a little odd, but hey nothing else was working consistently.  Put Kadri on the wing to see if it helps?  To me the bigger problem is giving Huberdeau linemates that he can play with.  I'm not sure I have seen that yet.

I am interested to see the impact on other lines.  A top line with Hunt is a problem.  

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Good to hear.

Let's hope he doesn't get two games on the 4th line and then get sent down again for a lack of production.  Play him in a spot where he can succeed.

Hard to say where he fits best given how the team looks currently.  At the very least with Zary I've never questioned his GAF meter.