How are you feeling about Tkachuk, Bennett and Lomberg?

V1nny83at5

It’s official, I’m not sure I speak for most flames but I sure feel both salt and joy for Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Bennett and Ryan Lomberg for their success in the playoffs. 
I’m just mad, that the Flames are basically giving other teams our great players for free while we’re stuck with dollar store versions of them (ie. Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar). Maybe the Panthers win the cup, Flames fans rage quit, and everyone wants Huberdeau Weegar and Kadri out of the league for jeopardizing the organization’s future. Thanks a lot, Treliving and Sutter. (That last sentence was sarcasm BTW). 😢😂😅

• Like 2

Yeah, I hear you.

I am cheering loudly for Florida, but I'm really sad that their boys, who were ours, aren't here anymore.

Personally, I would not have signed Nazem Kadri, but I suspect he'll be fine, and he is what he is. Jonathan Huberdeau has a lot more to bring, and he'll be a great player for us.

Still, last summer, my entire Flames jersey collection was made obsolete, and I'm sad to see them gone.

Love.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I hear you.

I am cheering loudly for Florida, but I'm really sad that their boys, who were ours, aren't here anymore.

Personally, I would not have signed Nazem Kadri, but I suspect he'll be fine, and he is what he is. Jonathan Huberdeau has a lot more to bring, and he'll be a great player for us.

Still, last summer, my entire Flames jersey collection was made obsolete, and I'm sad to see them gone.

Love.

I know what you mean.  Have 3 jerseys with 13, 23 and 19 and several name t-shirts.

Some of them bought when they were marked down big time.

Maybe they knew what was coming LOL.

Chucky should have been given the C when Gio left extended a larger contract than he was provided and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Chucky was your our franchise guy that we lost simply by management issues. Bennett isn't the proclaimed franchise guy we drafted by is a very good role player for FLA. Lomberg is what he is a bull terrier on a bone, lol. I am hopeful they win, good for them. It goes to show you how good Chucky really is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Chucky should have been given the C when Gio left extended a larger contract than he was provided and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Chucky was your our franchise guy that we lost simply by management issues. Bennett isn't the proclaimed franchise guy we drafted by is a very good role player for FLA. Lomberg is what he is a bull terrier on a bone, lol. I am hopeful they win, good for them. It goes to show you how good Chucky really is. 

I am not a fan of BT's moves.  I don't deny an owner problem but I think BT was also a big part of the problem.

Obviously that has not changed in these playoffs.

I will say this though:   Tkachuk is on a run but there is something wrong with the guy.

I would not be surprised to see him blow it in the finals.   Don't mean to wish bad things, just a feelling.

Vegas has serious goaltending depth.  Not going to be easy going against that.

I'm not actively cheering for Florida or against them, obsessing over it is like cyberstalking your exes.  Move on, what's done is done lets worry about how to make the Flames better tomorrow instead of living with what we could've done better in the past.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So, who was the coach during all of this?  Which coach was there when Bennett was supposedly given the 2nd chance.  Did he see any positive change in usage?  Which coach refused to name a captain?  

I think this final is probably worst for Buffalo fans Reinhart and Eichel were the cornerstones of their rebuild and add in they only got a 3rd for Montour.  The future outlooks are different, but thats because even with Eichel and Reinhart Buffalo was still awful in most years and still wound up with 2 #1's, while the Flames had some good years with Tkachuk and Bennett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V1nny83at5 said:

It’s official, I’m not sure I speak for most flames but I sure feel both salt and joy for Matthew Tkachuk, Sam Bennett and Ryan Lomberg for their success in the playoffs. 
I’m just mad, that the Flames are basically giving other teams our great players for free while we’re stuck with dollar store versions of them (ie. Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar). Maybe the Panthers win the cup, Flames fans rage quit, and everyone wants Huberdeau Weegar and Kadri out of the league for jeopardizing the organization’s future. Thanks a lot, Treliving and Sutter. (That last sentence was sarcasm BTW). 😢😂😅

All three were professionals during their time here and so I respect all three.  Can't say the same about Gaudreau.  I wish them the best. If they win the Cup then they win.  I'm not happy and not salty.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I hear you.

Love.

Haha, I am lucky, One of my all time favourite Flames players has the same last name as me... So I got their #10 Jersey. 

1 hour ago, V1nny83at5 said:

Honestly, I know it took awhile, or actually took going to Florida, but I always thought this was what Bennett was back then. I kept saying, play him with someone, and everyone else kept saying he doesn't deserve special treatment, hasn't done enough to warrant it, or hasn't done anything good after a game or two in the role they tried him at. 

I think it's why Lindholm said, "If you're going to try me at C, give me a longer look to adapt to the role." I think he saw how guys like Bennett were being jumped around and not seeing any success or time to adapt to it. which is what I kept trying to say when Bennett was up and down the lineup. 

With Tkachuk, I am happy for him, but I thought he was the 70-80 point player and not the 100 point player he is, I am happy for him and was wrong, and I understand that he probably just wasn't going to get that with Johnny gone. Maybe with Lindholm? But there wasn't a zone entry player with them when Johnny left. Getting to 100 I think completely changed the consistency he plays at.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I'm not actively cheering for Florida or against them, obsessing over it is like cyberstalking your exes.  Move on, what's done is done lets worry about how to make the Flames better tomorrow instead of living with what we could've done better in the past.

Back with Roberts, Niewendyk, Gilmour and smaller extents MacInnis, and Vernon, I followed them after leaving Calgary. There haven't been many that I've followed after that. Fleury was one I hoped good things for, but after going to NY I kind of gave up on him. Maybe that is when I started to transition into adulthood and the sentimentality of liking teams and players kind of detached. Bennett I think is the only one since, and I don't follow him profusely, I am just hoping good things for him and the other two. 

I think really, It's hard because it's easier to see the negative that happens in the organization, and them being in the finals really points to that. They're only 3 players, but 3 very good players at their roles. 

I think it really points to how hard roles seem to be to fill and the combinations with those players just didn't fit, or weren't going to by the time Tkachuk was leaving.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Spot on with that comparison.

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Haha, I am lucky, One of my all time favourite Flames players has the same last name as me... So I got their #10 Jersey. 

Honestly, I know it took awhile, or actually took going to Florida, but I always thought this was what Bennett was back then. I kept saying, play him with someone, and everyone else kept saying he doesn't deserve special treatment, hasn't done enough to warrant it, or hasn't done anything good after a game or two in the role they tried him at. 

I think it's why Lindholm said, "If you're going to try me at C, give me a longer look to adapt to the role." I think he saw how guys like Bennett were being jumped around and not seeing any success or time to adapt to it. which is what I kept trying to say when Bennett was up and down the lineup. 

With Tkachuk, I am happy for him, but I thought he was the 70-80 point player and not the 100 point player he is, I am happy for him and was wrong, and I understand that he probably just wasn't going to get that with Johnny gone. Maybe with Lindholm? But there wasn't a zone entry player with them when Johnny left. Getting to 100 I think completely changed the consistency he plays at.

I'm not seeing much difference with Bennett now than with his time in Calgary. Maybe a little better #s in the regular season now but even in FLA his regular season performance is basically ok but severely not 4OA worthy.  His impact in the playoffs is exactly what weve seen as a Flame.

Chucky is what he is, FLA knew what he was capable of when they got him.

I did really like Lomberg, every team needs more like him. 100% effort, 100% energy, and willing to drag everyone else onto battle if needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Obviously, I won't say who that is, but I will say that I like him too. My pops used to cook for them, and he asked him one time if he could sign something for me. The next time he saw him, he gave him a game-used stick signed by everyone on that team. It's the coolest piece of sports memorabilia that I have. Even cooler than the 7' Pronger poster in full Oilers regalia.

Love.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, who was the coach during all of this?  Which coach was there when Bennett was supposedly given the 2nd chance.  Did he see any positive change in usage?  Which coach refused to name a captain?  

Just out of curiosity. Was Sutter coach when Iggy was made captain?

Lomberg hardly played for the Flames. At the time, I didn't see him as a guy that would stick around. Give him credit, he's carved out a nice career.

I liked Bennett, but it was quite clear he needed a change. He wasn't going to turn into the player he is now if he stayed in Calgary. Highest pick in franchise history and they really fumbled his development.

Tkachuk didn't want to be here. The most annoying part for a Flames fan has to be his playoff performance. It's something he was never able to do here. Gam 1 against COL and EDM standout as his only bigtime playoff performances. He had a chance to be an Iginla like figure for a generation of Flames fans but opted to leave. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Lomberg hardly played for the Flames. At the time, I didn't see him as a guy that would stick around. Give him credit, he's carved out a nice career.

I liked Bennett, but it was quite clear he needed a change. He wasn't going to turn into the player he is now if he stayed in Calgary. Highest pick in franchise history and they really fumbled his development.

Tkachuk didn't want to be here. The most annoying part for a Flames fan has to be his playoff performance. It's something he was never able to do here. Gam 1 against COL and EDM standout as his only bigtime playoff performances. He had a chance to be an Iginla like figure for a generation of Flames fans but opted to leave. 

Yeah, I liked Lomberg at the time, and had hoped that he'd stay. You're right about Bennett, and I've said this before, but one of the most frustrating things to have watched - and it's a long list of frustrating things, having been a life-long Flames fan - was the development of Sam Bennett. I'm not sure if fumbled is the right word... more like spiked.

I don't buy the bit about Tkachuk, though. Specifically, around his playoff performance. He absolutely could have been that player here, and what we're seeing now is a much more mature Matthew Tkachuk. Forwards tend to hit their prime in their late 20s, and he's not even there yet. He was always going to improve, and we have seen that year over year. Unfortunately, I think that we're left with sour grapes on that one.

Love.

• Like 1

No salt here at all.

Out of the 3 Lomberg was my favorite and still is.

Tkachuck - glad he left and I think we got a good return for him.   Never wanted him as a C or a face of the Flames Family.   Weeger will only get better and his current cap hit is going to look really good value in a couple of years.  Huberdeau will rebound.   Cole Swindt might turn out to be a decent 4th liner but not so convinced of that yet.   The trade could yet turn out to be good for both clubs.  Too much recency bias going on at the moment.

I don't really care who wins the final,  but at least it will a frinacise first for one of them and one more than Vancouver!

I said a long time ago:

don’t trade Bennett or we will regret it…

Chucky should have been Captain last year….

as for Lomberg had no opinion then still the same he’s a bottom 6 (looking to be a solid 3rd liner now) but whatever minor miss by comparison of the other two issues which were 100% avoidable had we had a owner and Mgt crew that valued youth over very aged and declining or declined VETS…

Wish them all the best and probably rooting for them to win it if i'm honest. 

For sure I wish Bennett and Tkachuk were still here and if the Flames had of developed Bennett differently (mostly just kept him at center) then there is a chance he'd still be here. Interesting to point out though, his performance hasn't exactly shot up in Florida like some argue so while I do think the Flames could have done a better job with his development I don't think it's a game changer. 

Tkachuk only hurts a bit because he was my favorite, and my sons too, player. So emotionally it sucks but I get why he left and don't harbor any ill will on it. Not the fault of anyone, he just wanted to play elsewhere and I respect that. 

• Like 1