2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So with Stecher signing back in Az ..  the mess of last year means we gave AZ Mackey and  Vakimaki for absolutely free (and a 3rd rounder ) ....  That Stings.. they both would have had a great shot at being regulars this year 

Mackey signed with NYR.

Mackey and Ritchie for Stecher and Ritchie ended up amounting to nothing.

Losing Valimaki was just really poor asset management by the Flames. But not exactly a surprise.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So with Stecher signing back in Az ..  the mess of last year means we gave AZ Mackey and  Vakimaki for absolutely free (and a 3rd rounder ) ....  That Stings.. they both would have had a great shot at being regulars this year 

Not really. Stecher and Mackey aren't top 6. Valimaki can be a late bloomer based on injury history with us, but he isn't a lock either, but higher potential.

We can do better than them I hope.

Poirier and Kuznetzov should be feeling some pressure to earn a spot. If "just be better than Stecher" is the bar...well...

21 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not really. Stecher and Mackey aren't top 6. Valimaki can be a late bloomer based on injury history with us, but he isn't a lock either, but higher potential.

Poirier and Kuznetzov should be feeling some pressure to earn a spot. If "just be better than Stecher" is the bar...well...

If we could line up Poirier with Tanev, I think we would see something.

Kuz seems to me to still be a year off.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Poirer isn't ready yet. .maybe another  year..

Tho to be fair I think the Hanifin return will address that . 

This is a good article .. I'm glaf Conny is holding firm..says Boston has offered a package of Prospect Lysell, Brandon Carlo and Derek Forbort ...  Not nearly good enough but would indicate we can address the D in any return ..

I like all 3 players, just not enough for Hanifin ..but sounds at least like Boston is serious..

Florida was basically only lowball offering a player like Duclair who they ended up salary dumping 

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/2023/07/01/calgary-flames-noah-hanifin-nhl-trade-boston-bruins/?fbclid=IwAR0ycCB9ct2dkH17M_8_vGeKIos-PVgS1gvWQQnGg9fhRDpYEqnXoU64T-k

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Poirer isn't ready yet. .maybe another  year..

Tho to be fair I think the Hanifin return will address that . 

This is a good article .. I'm glaf Conny is holding firm..says Boston has offered a package of Prospect Lysell, Brandon Carlo and Derek Forbort ...  Not nearly good enough but would indicate we can address the D in any return ..

I like all 3 players, just not enough for Hanifin ..but sounds at least like Boston is serious..

Florida was basically only lowball offering a player like Duclair who they ended up salary dumping 

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/2023/07/01/calgary-flames-noah-hanifin-nhl-trade-boston-bruins/?fbclid=IwAR0ycCB9ct2dkH17M_8_vGeKIos-PVgS1gvWQQnGg9fhRDpYEqnXoU64T-k

I don't think you trade a D to get a D, but that's just me.

Use the Backlund trade to get you a minor player.

One not gifted offensively but can shut down the F.

I think CHI is still a dark horse for a Hanifin trade.

Has to be good prospects or young players.

I don't care that they want to keep them all, they have to pay.

Chance of them getting another lotto pick is marginal this year, so let them protect it for more coming our way.  Hanifin is young enough to spend the next 8 years in CHI.  

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think you trade a D to get a D, but that's just me.

Use the Backlund trade to get you a minor player.

One not gifted offensively but can shut down the F.

I think CHI is still a dark horse for a Hanifin trade.

Has to be good prospects or young players.

I don't care that they want to keep them all, they have to pay.

Chance of them getting another lotto pick is marginal this year, so let them protect it for more coming our way.  Hanifin is young enough to spend the next 8 years in CHI.  

I agree ..  get Debrusk in the deal it might start making more sense ..

Starting to think that too . They're being really agressive around Bedard now ..

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

and we'd have another 3rd rounder.

3 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Keep seeing that NYR are actively shopping Lafreniere. 

Thoughts on cost acquisition? 

I wouldn't mind picking up the former 1st OA.

I would go Hanifin for him

I don't know if we'd have to add.

maybe do 

Lafrenier + a pick

for

Lindholm

?

It's too bad that Phillips didn't get much of an opportunity.

But he's likely to end up in Hershey. I look at Glenn Gawdin, he fits the profile of a bottom six forward more than Phillips. Gawdin went to the Ducks and still didn't crack the club. Washington has much higher aspirations than Anaheim.

I wish Phillips well, but not sure how much more opportunity he will get.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's too bad that Phillips didn't get much of an opportunity.

But he's likely to end up in Hershey. I look at Glenn Gawdin, he fits the profile of a bottom six forward more than Phillips. Gawdin went to the Ducks and still didn't crack the club. Washington has much higher aspirations than Anaheim.

I wish Phillips well, but not sure how much more opportunity he will get.

Phillips deal is one way. He most likely starts on the 3rd line

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Phillips deal is one way. He most likely starts on the 3rd line

I think he's probably a guy you insulate with bigger players and that would give him the room he needs. If Calgary doesn't have that then he'd not fair well anyway.

Zadorov is the only deterrent we have now, so I wonder how team toughness looks this season. There could be a few injuries with liberties other teams will be taking.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

maybe do 

Lafrenier + a pick

for

Lindholm

?

Id do Hanifin for Lafreniere for sure.

The Lindholm trade seems like solid value as well depending on the pick coming back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Wonder if Mitch Love had anything to do with the Phillips to Washington thing.

Would have liked to see him get a greater opportunity this season bit im not that broken up about him moving on.

I think you're jumping to conclusions, there is only a 97% likelihood.

So, it's not so bad, but what will hurt is that we didn't get anything for him.    I don't put that on Conroy because there was no time left to trade him by the time he took over.

Gonna be honest, Washington is the Perfect home for Phillips, and not only because of Mitch Love.

Washington is one of only about 3 teams in the NHL that has a LW shortage. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000492023.html

I believe he will be given opportunities on the 2nd line.  Maybe more.    They are also the type of team that will foster offense, at all costs.

He's never gonna win a cup there, put it that way.   But in the regular season, I think we may have some big regrets.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Phillips would have had NHL success here anyway.    But there were times he had trade value and the organisation was too dysfunctional to do the right thing when he did.

I'll be happy for him if he succeeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Keep seeing that NYR are actively shopping Lafreniere. 

Thoughts on cost acquisition? 

I wouldn't mind picking up the former 1st OA.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

maybe do 

Lafrenier + a pick

for

Lindholm

?

It would be an interesting swap. Hanifin is proven and still young , Lafrenier is still finding his way in the NHL. 

Huberdeau -Lafranier-Pelletier 

Kadri-Lindholm-Mangiapane

It could be a start…I think we get a better player back than Lafrenier for Hanifin tbh. 

Been months since I’ve posted on here…the team is even more of a mess than when I left! Happy Summer and Canada Day (belated) to everyone. Looks like our Flames need some work! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

So, it's not so bad, but what will hurt is that we didn't get anything for him.    I don't put that on Conroy because there was no time left to trade him by the time he took over.

Gonna be honest, Washington is the Perfect home for Phillips, and not only because of Mitch Love.

I believe he will be given opportunities on the 2nd line.  Maybe more.    They are also the type of team that will foster offense, at all costs.

He's never gonna win a cup there, put it that way.   But in the regular season, I think we may have some big regrets.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Phillips would have had NHL success here anyway.    But there were times he had trade value and the organisation was too dysfunctional to do the right thing when he did.

I could see them playing him with an Oshie or Wilson and that would be enough toughness to isolate him, which I just don't think the flames are able to do.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I could see them playing him with an Oshie or Wilson and that would be enough toughness to isolate him, which I just don't think the flames are able to do.

That would be fantastic for him.

I just don’t know if he has the ability to play a top six role with players like that.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

There was zero market for Phillips in trade.

Wow 1 goal in 62 games we have yourself a a goal scorer woho were on the right track LOL. So where are we heading this season with players that have 1 goal a season please tell me we are not looking to move to the bottom of the league. We couldn't even sign Phillips a Calgary boy would rather leave the city he loves I wonder why? I know ppl on this forum have the class all full but even this forum must see we are hitting the bottom of the barrel. We have lost every quality player we have picked in the last 7 yr MrT gone JH gone Looch gone Lindy gone every one wanting to move Hanifin because we know he will not resign here as well where does that leave us next yr we lose our first round pick and we will be picking top 6 which will go to MTL. I don't know about you guys but I have lost any faith I had in Conny.

14 minutes ago, zima said:

Wow 1 goal in 62 games we have yourself a a goal scorer woho were on the right track LOL. So where are we heading this season with players that have 1 goal a season please tell me we are not looking to move to the bottom of the league. We couldn't even sign Phillips a Calgary boy would rather leave the city he loves I wonder why? I know ppl on this forum have the class all full but even this forum must see we are hitting the bottom of the barrel. We have lost every quality player we have picked in the last 7 yr MrT gone JH gone Looch gone Lindy gone every one wanting to move Hanifin because we know he will not resign here as well where does that leave us next yr we lose our first round pick and we will be picking top 6 which will go to MTL. I don't know about you guys but I have lost any faith I had in Conny.

This off season is a shot of reality for sure but I think you're overselling the urgency a bit.

May be a tough season but the fact Lindholm isn't signed or traded yet isn't a sky-is-falling scenario.

Knee-jerk reactions almost always make the team worse.