2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Most of all, I think we need a bit of a reset on cap space if we hope to change much.

I know those 2 moves would affect us, but they'd buy some cap and force a bit of change which is important imho.

I think that is going through Maloney's head right now.  All the cap spending has done Richard all to get us closer to the cup.  Fresh thinking required.  Backlund might actually appreciate Det.  Well structured, sanely coached, on the way up.  We need a GM to come in with these kinds of ideas.  I may sound like I am blaming BT, but we never ever seemed to sign the value guys or complete the smart trades.  Tkes two to tango, but we were drgging the wrong one home after.  When the lights came on we said Yikes.

This is a critical offseason, so we have to be surgical.  We can end up like EDM with Kenny the Cap-meister or try to rein it in.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I was trying to ease into that.lol

Maybe Hanifin for NYR's 24th overall?

Every other team drafting ahead of us other than BUF seems okay to draft and rebuild.  Maybe STL is the only other team who wants to get back into the playoffs next season.

The Flames maybe even be buyers and trade away the 16th.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe Hanifin for NYR's 24th overall?

Every other team drafting ahead of us other than BUF seems okay to draft and rebuild.  Maybe STL is the only other team who wants to get back into the playoffs next season.

The Flames maybe even be buyers and trade away the 16th.

If we could get another 1st rounder this season for Hanifin, it wouldn't even be considered the start of a rebuild.  It's trading from an area that struggled at times but was paid well.  But NYC has squandered all their assets on finishing pieces I doubt they can retail.  They have a 1st COL's 3rd and 2x6th rounders.  It gets worse in 2025.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If we could get another 1st rounder this season for Hanifin, it wouldn't even be considered the start of a rebuild.  It's trading from an area that struggled at times but was paid well.  But NYC has squandered all their assets on finishing pieces I doubt they can retail.  They have a 1st COL's 3rd and 2x6th rounders.  It gets worse in 2025.

We could go,

Weegar - Andersson 

Zadorov - Tanev

Kylington - Whoever

And if we trade Hanifin at next TDL, we could get a late 1st round pick + prospect + low end NHLer.

Or trade Hanifin at the draft floor this year for the 24th if there's a prospect we really like.

Regardless, I think Hanifin is worth a late 1st + minor extras.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We could go,

Weegar - Andersson 

Zadorov - Tanev

Kylington - Whoever

And if we trade Hanifin at next TDL, we could get a late 1st round pick + prospect + low end NHLer.

Or trade Hanifin at the draft floor this year for the 24th if there's a prospect we really like.

Regardless, I think Hanifin is worth a late 1st + minor extras.

Keep in mind that Hronek + a 4th(105oa) = a first(18th oa) and a 2nd (43rd oa).

Hronek's a similar contract, expires next year as RFA with arb rights.

Hanifin is worth more than Hronek imo.

I do love that Stevie manages to find bullets for his scouts. They have 9th lottery pending, 18th, 41, 42, 43.

The pending ufa Leddy trade keeps on giving.

Leddy($2.75 retained for that season) + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + this year's 2nd(42).

Sundqvist was solid, traded for a 4th, Walman re-signed as Seider's partner and a fan fave.

Leddy and Wit(AHLer) were 31, Walman 26.

So there's the Tanev implication.lol

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Keep in mind that Hronek + a 4th(105oa) = a first(18th oa) and a 2nd (43rd oa).

Hronek's a similar contract, expires next year as RFA with arb rights.

Hanifin is worth more than Hronek imo.

I do love that Stevie manages to find bullets for his scouts. They have 9th lottery pending, 18th, 41, 42, 43.

The pending ufa Leddy trade keeps on giving.

Leddy($2.75 retained for that season) + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + this year's 2nd(42).

Sundqvist was solid, traded for a 4th, Walman re-signed as Seider's partner and a fan fave.

Leddy and Wit(AHLer) were 31, Walman 26.

So there's the Tanev implication.lol

Nah, big difference between pending UFA and RFA.  Hronek is also RHS RD which is worth noticably more.

Pending UFAs also have a set standard price basically.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Nah, big difference between pending UFA and RFA.  Hronek is also RHS RD which is worth noticably more.

Pending UFAs also have a set standard price basically.

Then a late 1st and inconsequential minor isn't worth it at the draft. That could turn into trading him for nothing.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Then a late 1st and inconsequential minor isn't worth it at the draft. That could turn into trading him for nothing.

Then hang onto Hanifin until TDL and get a late 1st + prospect + fringe NHL.  

At TDL, bodies are worth more than picks and prospects.

On the draft floor, picks are worth more than veteran players.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Then hang onto Hanifin until TDL and get a late 1st + prospect + fringe NHL.  

At TDL, bodies are worth more than picks and prospects.

On the draft floor, picks are worth more than veteran players.

the flames will probably want to make a hockey trade. D for a F.

There is an article in The Hockey News today - THREE BLOCKBUSTER MOCK TRADES FOR SIX ELIMINATED NHL TEAMS.

It's suggesting that the Flames should trade Elias Lindholm to the Bruins in a 1:1 deal for Taylor Hall.

The rationale is that it gives the Bruins a potential replacement for Patrice Bergeron, but I am more skeptical of the reason that the Flames should make this trade. Don't get me wrong - I actually really like Taylor Hall - but "a terrific public-relations move to bring Hall back to his hometown city of Calgary" doesn't seem like the right reason. The article also mentions that Hall would get more ice time with the Flames than he does on an extremely deep Boston team, and that it does include cost certainty for the next two seasons for an above-average scoring threat, but I'm still not seeing the upside.

It makes no sense to trade your number one center for an older LW, especially given the depth that the Flames have in that position.

I would be pretty stoked to see Hall in a Flames uniform, but he's not actually the right target, and this would be a very bad trade in my opinion.

Love.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

There is an article in The Hockey News today - THREE BLOCKBUSTER MOCK TRADES FOR SIX ELIMINATED NHL TEAMS.

It's suggesting that the Flames should trade Elias Lindholm to the Bruins in a 1:1 deal for Taylor Hall.

The rationale is that it gives the Bruins a potential replacement for Patrice Bergeron, but I am more skeptical of the reason that the Flames should make this trade. Don't get me wrong - I actually really like Taylor Hall - but "a terrific public-relations move to bring Hall back to his hometown city of Calgary" doesn't seem like the right reason. The article also mentions that Hall would get more ice time with the Flames than he does on an extremely deep Boston team, and that it does include cost certainty for the next two seasons for an above-average scoring threat, but I'm still not seeing the upside.

It makes no sense to trade your number one center for an older LW, especially given the depth that the Flames have in that position.

I would be pretty stoked to see Hall in a Flames uniform, but he's not actually the right target, and this would be a very bad trade in my opinion.

Love.

Thanks for posting.

Along with the Stan Bowman rumours, this Lindholm trade suggestion to BOS for Taylor Hall would almost certainly ensure us a top 3 pick next season.  Because if the idea is to tank then it's better to tank with good PR.. bring home a hometown kid... Because "winning" is not good PR right?  Bring home a Calgary kid tho...

Would this trade improve the Flames next season?  Nah man but we get 1 extra year of service.  What a great deal.  This writer truly did his homework on the Flames too.  I give him that.  They know the Flames have a tendency to target past-his-prime LHS LWers to play RW.  OR even better, this trade could force Huberdeau to stay on the RW all next season and force Huberdeau to demand a trade.

And ultimately, that's how the Flames win this trade. The Flames lock up a top 3 pick next season and do it with good PR.  Sneaky well thought out trade suggestion.

3 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

it would definitely needs to include more.

18 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Hall barely lived in Calgary per se, so it's not exactly like he spent his years in Calgary.

But beyond that, I do like Hall, just don't see the point.

Trade Lindholm for Necas?  Sure, that makes sense.

I'm not opposed to trading Backlund either.

He's done what we asked of him, but at some point you need to move on.

While there is value.

Tanev is a warrior and one of the few pure D we have.

Age and injuries are catching up.

Hanifin's hockey sense gets on my nerves.

He one of th better D we have, but we've seen the best he has.

Zadorov for me is a selfish desire to keep a big body.

I know he is not great some games.

But, he is nasty when he is behaved.

https://flamesnation.ca/news/i-thought-we-also-needed-a-coaching-change-mackenzie-weegar-on-darryl-sutter-brad-treliving-and-the-future

Weegar said that in video sessions Sutter would go after Backlund a lot and that they'd get into swearing matches. Not a good room when coaches and players go at it like this. 

hard to say who starts what but to me, the way that Darryl operates and calls guys out, there's a different way of doing it constructively. It can only be so much before it starts to sound like a nagging spouse and an unappreciative dick, when Backlund had one of his best years and was arguably in the top class of the forward group this season. 

it's not to say he didn't make mistakes. But when being called out making them, and guys who had still get thrown out regardless that gets painful being called out. 

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

https://flamesnation.ca/news/i-thought-we-also-needed-a-coaching-change-mackenzie-weegar-on-darryl-sutter-brad-treliving-and-the-future

Weegar said that in video sessions Sutter would go after Backlund a lot and that they'd get into swearing matches. Not a good room when coaches and players go at it like this. 

hard to say who starts what but to me, the way that Darryl operates and calls guys out, there's a different way of doing it constructively. It can only be so much before it starts to sound like a nagging spouse and an unappreciative dick, when Backlund had one of his best years and was arguably in the top class of the forward group this season. 

it's not to say he didn't make mistakes. But when being called out making them, and guys who had still get thrown out regardless that gets painful being called out. 

We should trade Backlund though.  I really hope we didn't choose to keep Backlund over Sutter.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We should trade Backlund though.  I really hope we didn't choose to keep Backlund over Sutter.

I don't think so, I think it's just an example of how the way Sutter does things can support some whole alienating others which creates a favourite child syndrome and the neglected one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think so, I think it's just an example of how the way Sutter does things can support some whole alienating others which creates a favourite child syndrome and the neglected one.

Not to mention Backlund is about as consummate a professional as we have ever had.

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't think it was one or the other.  It just was an example of what the players saw as a coach unwilling to listen or one that harped only on certain players.  The GM will make the decision on what is best for the team and secondary the player.  If there is no interest, then he has to be ready to waive his NTC come TDL.  Love it or hate it, we don't have the cap to pay Backlund what he is looking for on an extension.

I think the Flames have to look at moving Hanifin at the draft. 

He's their 2nd best trade chip, behind Lindholm. I don't see a clear path to an extension for Hanifin.

He's only 26. He's going to be looking for a big payday. I wouldn't be all that comfortable paying him 48 million, at minimum. 

So I think you look at a trade. It would be fantastic to get another 2023 1st. A 1 and 3 at minimum.

The Flames can still ice a decent group of D, even with a Hanifin trade

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov

I look at STL as a fit. They've got extra picks. I don't see them being interested in missing the playoffs again. They're old on the blueline. Parayko is the young guy back there. He's 29.

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the Flames have to look at moving Hanifin at the draft. 

He's their 2nd best trade chip, behind Lindholm. I don't see a clear path to an extension for Hanifin.

He's only 26. He's going to be looking for a big payday. I wouldn't be all that comfortable paying him 48 million, at minimum. 

So I think you look at a trade. It would be fantastic to get another 2023 1st. A 1 and 3 at minimum.

The Flames can still ice a decent group of D, even with a Hanifin trade

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov

I look at STL as a fit. They've got extra picks. I don't see them being interested in missing the playoffs again. They're old on the blueline. Parayko is the young guy back there. He's 29.

I think we should move Hanifin too.  But I fear this team is going to trade Hanifin for an older established player because the Flames are also hungry to get back into the playoffs.

STL is a good suggestion though but we're looking at pick 29 or 30.  No way we get the 10th overall for Hanifin.  Rumor is STL wants to trade away one of Faulk, Krug, or Parayko... because age and contract length... Hanifin is 26 so that fits right into what they could be looking for in terms of passing the torch.

I also look at the Leafs as a possibility because Brodie has 1-more year left and Hanifin is still cheap for 1-year.  That Leafs blueline needs a lot of help in general.  The Flames could maybe take TOR's 28th pick for Hanifin.

MIN might be interested as well.  Dumba's contract is coming off the books and that frees up $6-mil.  They hold the 22nd pick.  Would be a good deal for us to get the 22nd pick for Hanifin.  MIN's D isn't deep after Spurgeon and Brodin.

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think we should move Hanifin too.  But I fear this team is going to trade Hanifin for an older established player because the Flames are also hungry to get back into the playoffs.

STL is a good suggestion though but we're looking at pick 29 or 30.  No way we get the 10th overall for Hanifin.  Rumor is STL wants to trade away one of Faulk, Krug, or Parayko... because age and contract length... Hanifin is 26 so that fits right into what they could be looking for in terms of passing the torch.

I also look at the Leafs as a possibility because Brodie has 1-more year left and Hanifin is still cheap for 1-year.  That Leafs blueline needs a lot of help in general.  The Flames could maybe take TOR's 28th pick for Hanifin.

MIN might be interested as well.  Dumba's contract is coming off the books and that frees up $6-mil.  They hold the 22nd pick.  Would be a good deal for us to get the 22nd pick for Hanifin.  MIN's D isn't deep after Spurgeon and Brodin.

This is what I'd try to do with STL.

Hanifin

16th overall

Late round pick

To CGY

10th overall

One of STL's later 1st's

One of their two 3rd's