2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I streamed some of his KHL games awhile back. That kid will be tearing that league up by the time his contract expires. I'd likely have him at 2nd but where execs stand in that volatile political environment likely means the selection could be equal volatile. I think Dmitri Simashev(LD) could end up being the steal of the draft if he falls due to being Russian.

For dmen, personally, I'd put him with Reinbacher as the top 2 Dmen in the draft.

Myself, I'd focus on hockey alone and block out the other stuff but I have no skin in the game.

I do think that the draft will reach about 14-16 and someone (Nashville?) will take a dman and the run will start on 4-5 Dmen for the rest of the rd. I'll be surprised if Reinbacher isn't the first. I can't wrap my head around either Sandin-Pellika or Gulyayev as 1st rd Dmen. I'm just not swooned by O-first dmen like others.

I'd be fine with Reinbacher, Simashev or Willander at our pick. But for the latter 2, if Calum Ritchie is still on the board, it's a rock and a hard place. I don't think I could walk by him. I see a 1B/solid 2C in him. He's the top available C in what most consider the top CHL league. There is a lot to like and checks all of the boxes for what you wanna see.

The Oshawa commentators are literally laughing that he's ranked around 24th. "If a team gets him at 24, they're going to be extremely happy". I agree. He's ranked too low. I could easily slot him around 11 and definitely within the top 15.

I don't want us drafting Perrault. He's surrounded by Smith, Leonard, Moore. When someone takes him before Leonard, and they will, I will laugh. The former laps up the hard work of the latters. Leonard reminds me a bit of Tkachuk, like an old dog on a pork chop and great O instincts. Snarly and great around the net.

Agree with you on Michkov,

On Ritchie, I'll bite.  He's your prototypical, fantastic / ideal RHS 6'2 Assistant Captain.

But his production is not really there.

Okay fine he's on a pretty bad team.    So, we compare him to Monahan, something we have experience with.

Monahan had way more production, including the more telling goals.

ok, so lets look at them on their respective teams.

Monahan was captain, Ritchie Assistant.    no biggie, 

Ok, their production on their teams:

Monahan was miles and miles ahead of the rest of his team.

Ritchie:  #3 or #4.

Both on highly scouted teams.  Some might say over-scouted.

So we look at drafts:  Monahan's draft was weak, he was a top 10 pick.

This draft is considered deep, Ritchie ranked somewhere around 18-20.

With all of the above considered, imho he is ranked exactly where he should be, in terms of evil, evil stats.

I spoke with his parents, they agree.

Is he in a place where we should expect a major scouting upset or mis-ranking?  no.

I think someone else mentioned this, was it Peeps?    But when we look at his scouting report, which is ....  Ridiculously extensive (pages...so OHL-like)..   it's all rave reviews until you get to the skating.

I know you've mentioned on here before that skating can be improved on.   I agree, to a point.  Again we go back to Monahan.    IMHO taking a weak skater is HIGH, high risk and also very upside limiting.   Much more concerning than drafting a smaller player.   Sure, take that weak skater, just not with your 1st pick if you can help it.

In conclusion, he's not bad.    And, there is one big problem with my Monahan comparison:  Monhan was a top 10 pick, and we don't have one.

This is just me, but I think we should be looking for that elite calibre which he is currently JUST short of (I get there with numbers, scouts getting there with his skating).   Could he reach it?  Sure, but others are more likely to reach it.     Monahan or higher should be the "goal".     It is a deep draft after all.

Maybe one drops down to us, maybe one rises up to us,  maybe God forbid we make a trade and upgrade or acquire a pick.  You've already brought up one player, albeit 5'9, with these skillsets.  They are out there and will be available at our pick if we find them.    I don't think this guy is one of them, although he is very close and ideal in all other ways.

Thoughts on Matthew Wood?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/603587/matthew-wood

6'3 RHS Albertan.   Odd case, playing in the NCAA and the best draft eligible player there behind Fantilli.

Going back to @conundrumed's   "Stacked Team" theory, imho he's not THAT far behind Fantilli.   He's on an...aweful team.   Fantilli is on a dream team.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:45 AM, conundrumed said:

I should add as opposed to Beniers at the U of M. There's a sizeable difference between the 2.

Looking forward to a playoff-laden wkend in lots of leagues overseas and the NCAA. I wish Sergachev could be UConn's starter, but it's playoffs, so likely not.

But they do have Matt Wood whom I'd like to see.

I like this site to stay NCAA stealthy.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/icehockey-men/d1/2023

The USHL's site is really good too, and the Flo site has good write-ups in the affiliate link.

https://ushl.com/sports/2023/1/27/GEN_0127234708.aspx

NCAA streams are top shelf, USHL is about 60-40 hit and miss for me.

Whups, there we go.   I just found MW.  Yeah there's a reason I used his initials in that sentence.

I've only known about him for about 25 minutes but we may both end up in this camp.

The saga may continue of us bitterly disagreeing on how we arrived at the exact same player.

@conundrumed

OK.  Now I'm in a bit of a pickle lol.

Was deciding whether to join the MW bandwagon.  Discovered he's pretty much a year younger than Fantilli.

Had one foot in the wagon.

The I look at the Gretzky Cup:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/hlinka-gretzky-cup/stats/2022-2023

Slowfoot Ritchie messing up all my stats.

More fighting is needed here I think.     I'm leaning heavy towards MW but this is a bit of a dilemma.     

My initial reaction is still MW, because I know how Canada hands out positions and ice time in international hockey.  They're not exactly known for handing out ice time to US college kids over OHL darlings.    

My other thought is that skating is less of a factor in U18.

Still....double the points...... I'm slightly conflicted.  Only slightly.  it's 5 games.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

@conundrumed

OK.  Now I'm in a bit of a pickle lol.

Was deciding whether to join the MW bandwagon.  Discovered he's pretty much a year younger than Fantilli.

Had one foot in the wagon.

The I look at the Gretzky Cup:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/hlinka-gretzky-cup/stats/2022-2023

Slowfoot Ritchie messing up all my stats.

More fighting is needed here I think.     I'm leaning heavy towards MW but this is a bit of a dilemma.     

My initial reaction is still MW, because I know how Canada hands out positions and ice time in international hockey.  They're not exactly known for handing out ice time to US college kids over OHL darlings.    

My other thought is that skating is less of a factor in U18.

Still....double the points...... I'm slightly conflicted.  Only slightly.  it's 5 games.

https://hlinkagretzkycup.ca/en-ca/season/2022/stats/game-summary?gameid=3796

Yup, super dumb, 14-0 game lol.

Seems they both have skating issues.   They're going to have to hold off the draft, need more time.

24 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/679585/yegor-sidorov

Can anyone explain how this kid is ranked in the third round?  lol

Best undrafted player in the WHL playoffs I can see behind Bedard.

Guaranteed to be the only 3rd-rounder at nearly a goal per game 😅

139306_460s.jpg

Ah.  2nd year of elligibility.  tricky.   But, young for a 2nd year elligible.

Okay. So I'll give my take. I've seen Ritchie live twice and I've watched him on TV prolly a dozen games. About the same as Monahan honestly. The comparison isn't really there. You're comparing their skating and it's quite a bit different. Mony has good edges and good stride but I agree he's not fast. Ritchie matches the edges at the very least. His stride is choppier but he's faster while showing really good puck control at speed. Mony is definitely a scorer first whereas Ritchie is a more complete player. What Mony lacked in D play and puck-carrying/moving Ritchie doesn't. Mony when healthy is a solid 1B/2C. So is Ritchie. I agree with MacKenzie for a change.

I don't really link this too often, as I feel it's all of the best attributes on the scouting and none of the worst. I'm pretty comfortable here with what they say about Ritchie.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2023-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Calum-Ritchie

I find Scott Wheeler seems to most consistently, though not always, matches what I think.

You don't have to sell me on Matthew Wood. I like the player a ton.

"Who will score your big goal"? Well...Matt would. I really like his background and development.

And yes, "who are you playing with/where are your minutes played" is one of the top 3 things that I like to consider. I finally went to a USNTDP game a coupla weeks ago, which is kinda sad seeing how it's no different than driving to London an hour away. Sadly they beat Muskegon 10-0. Hard to have takeaways.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Okay. So I'll give my take. I've seen Ritchie live twice and I've watched him on TV prolly a dozen games. About the same as Monahan honestly. The comparison isn't really there. You're comparing their skating and it's quite a bit different. Mony has good edges and good stride but I agree he's not fast. Ritchie matches the edges at the very least. His stride is choppier but he's faster while showing really good puck control at speed. Mony is definitely a scorer first whereas Ritchie is a more complete player. What Mony lacked in D play and puck-carrying/moving Ritchie doesn't. Mony when healthy is a solid 1B/2C. So is Ritchie. I agree with MacKenzie for a change.

I don't really link this too often, as I feel it's all of the best attributes on the scouting and none of the worst. I'm pretty comfortable here with what they say about Ritchie.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2023-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Calum-Ritchie

I find Scott Wheeler seems to most consistently, though not always, matches what I think.

You don't have to sell me on Matthew Wood. I like the player a ton.

"Who will score your big goal"? Well...Matt would. I really like his background and development.

And yes, "who are you playing with/where are your minutes played" is one of the top 3 things that I like to consider. I finally went to a USNTDP game a coupla weeks ago, which is kinda sad seeing how it's no different than driving to London an hour away. Sadly they beat Muskegon 10-0. Hard to have takeaways.

Thank you, very much appreciated.   Taking all of this into consideration i think I ...   side with Woods over Ritchie, the tie-breaker being:

With Wood, the results are there, at higher levels.

Both are top 10 considerations, but with warts that probably keep them out of it.  Mostly skating warts.    But with Ritchie you have result issues too.  Seems like both check off most scouting boxes except skating.   

When in doubt:  Results.

But it's a difficult and interesting draft, great time-passer.    Loads of small kids making things confusing.  Pinelli on a tear.

From what I'm reading, we won't get a shot at Wood anyway.   But then I didn't think Coronato would be available, there's always someone available you don't expect.

So considering everything you wrote...I like Ritchie.  But still conflicted.  We need more first rounders lol

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Thank you, very much appreciated.   Taking all of this into consideration i think I ...   side with Woods over Ritchie, the tie-breaker being:

With Woods, the results are there, at higher levels.

Both are top 10 considerations, but with warts that probably keep them out of it.  Mostly skating warts.    But with Ritchie you have result issues too.  Seems like both check off most scouting boxes except skating.   

When in doubt:  Results.

But it's a difficult and interesting draft, great time-passer.    Loads of small kids making things confusing.  Pinelli on a tear.

From what I'm reading, we won't get a shot at Wood anyway.   But then I didn't think Coronato would be available, there's always someone available you don't expect.

So considering everything you wrote...I like Ritchie.  But still conflicted.  We need more first rounders lol

Wood is a winger. Would I like both? Sure. If Reinbacher is there, I'd do that. I like a lot of players at our 15th or whatever pick. There really isn't a bad pick. I just don't want us to play consensus. If Heidt is your guy, fine. It doesn't really matter all that much. I'm more interested in rds 2 & 3 and beyond. As @The_People1 indicated, it's pretty tight from probably 10 to 30. I don't think this is half of the deep draft they're selling us. It's an average draft.

Hopefully we've scouted the D depth in this draft. I feel like the high end D is limited, but the depth is pretty damn good

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Wood is a winger. Would I like both? Sure. If Reinbacher is there, I'd do that. I like a lot of players at our 15th or whatever pick. There really isn't a bad pick. I just don't want us to play consensus. If Heidt is your guy, fine. It doesn't really matter all that much. I'm more interested in rds 2 & 3 and beyond. As @The_People1 indicated, it's pretty tight from probably 10 to 30. I don't think this is half of the deep draft they're selling us. It's an average draft.

Hopefully we've scouted the D depth in this draft. I feel like the high end D is limited, but the depth is pretty damn good

I try not to get caught up in the winger/center thing, and I think the Flames have made some blunders in the past getting caught up in that, the only time it really matters is with that 1A Center.   And that's a pretty lofty projection with our pick although it could happen.  If that were to happen it would more likely happen swinging for the fences on an elite player with mega warts, like one of the 5'9 options out there.   I would potentially be okay with a gamble like that but then again I'd be trading for more first rounders.  

I don't think you pick Ritchie with a 1A Center expectation, although of course it could happen.   So, the Center thing is limited.  If anything, the Flames are maybe a little stacked with prospects like this already.   Good centers that will probably never be 1A Centers.  Fingers crossed one of them turns out and ends up as a #2 C.

Furthermore on the #1C thing, I don't see it in this draft for us.    Even if we upgrade.  Because if you upgrade, you're probably going for Michkov, who is not that.   And if you don't upgrade, you're not getting it unless you really swing for the fences.  Which means getting another first.  But then if you're getting another first why not upgrade and get Michkov.

RH/LH matters to me, a little.  I like that they are RH.  Their style will probably change 5 times before they are are impact NHL players.

I always like D in round 1 because I think they are often overlooked due to GM job security issues.

Have you seen much of Reinbacher?   His stats leave me interested but not committed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Do we see Lindholm traded at the draft if they're not extended? Would be the time to trade him maybe.

Of all the players to trade, Lindholm is at the bottom of that list.  I get that the draft presents an opportunity to get picks for roster players, but I doubt we get enough value then.  If we want to trade Backlund, then waiting to just before FA makes more sense to me.  Same for Hanifin.  And anyone else we deem doesn't fit the "new" direction.  

If there is trouble signing Lindholm, you don't want to trade him just because you haven't signed him by June.  That's not a lot of time.  I suspect he may want to see what changes are coming before he signs long term.  Gte rid of Sutter and he may be so happy, he signs right away.  LOL

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Of all the players to trade, Lindholm is at the bottom of that list.  I get that the draft presents an opportunity to get picks for roster players, but I doubt we get enough value then.  If we want to trade Backlund, then waiting to just before FA makes more sense to me.  Same for Hanifin.  And anyone else we deem doesn't fit the "new" direction.  

If there is trouble signing Lindholm, you don't want to trade him just because you haven't signed him by June.  That's not a lot of time.  I suspect he may want to see what changes are coming before he signs long term.  Gte rid of Sutter and he may be so happy, he signs right away.  LOL

lol 

ya, but was just wondering if getting a 1st rounder for him in this draft might be a good way to recoup his value. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I try not to get caught up in the winger/center thing, and I think the Flames have made some blunders in the past getting caught up in that, the only time it really matters is with that 1A Center.   And that's a pretty lofty projection with our pick although it could happen.  If that were to happen it would more likely happen swinging for the fences on an elite player with mega warts, like one of the 5'9 options out there.   I would potentially be okay with a gamble like that but then again I'd be trading for more first rounders.  

I don't think you pick Ritchie with a 1A Center expectation, although of course it could happen.   So, the Center thing is limited.  If anything, the Flames are maybe a little stacked with prospects like this already.   Good centers that will probably never be 1A Centers.  Fingers crossed one of them turns out and ends up as a #2 C.

Furthermore on the #1C thing, I don't see it in this draft for us.    Even if we upgrade.  Because if you upgrade, you're probably going for Michkov, who is not that.   And if you don't upgrade, you're not getting it unless you really swing for the fences.  Which means getting another first.  But then if you're getting another first why not upgrade and get Michkov.

RH/LH matters to me, a little.  I like that they are RH.  Their style will probably change 5 times before they are are impact NHL players.

I always like D in round 1 because I think they are often overlooked due to GM job security issues.

Have you seen much of Reinbacher?   His stats leave me interested but not committed.

I have. He's running out of leagues where he's at. I'd project him as a 1D.

Great wingspan, great skater and smart. I like him a lot. Large and in charge I like Wallinder a lot, but that kid is a 1D imho. He's the dominant D on his pro men's team.

Nobody is doing what he's doing on D at 17. Nobody. It's not even close imho.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's good for another season isn't he?  

I realise I have a contract learning disability but that seems like an ideal trade time to me.  Basically when we Should have traded Gaudreau, etc. etc.

I'm not getting in the way of the fire Sutter project.  sure ok.

We will get zero back for Backlund, it's pointless, really.   Time to do that was a few years ago if we were going to.  At this point I think Backlund's greateset value could be as a mentor into his retirement and after that possibly a role in the organization.

Here's the thing:

Getting a top draft pick, or really any meaningful picks, is painful.  People keep telling me that.  yeah I KNOW lol.

What's more painful?   Letting them all walk away for free the last few years.

We have a very limited list of vets with remaining value, due to massive contract anchors.

imho they are:

Lindholm

Toffoli

Hanifin

Rasmus

Yeah.   4.  That's it, I said it,  We all know it, cause the rest are all in nightmare contracts.

3/4 are Aweful to trade.    Hanifin's kinda useless imho.   

If it were me, I'd trade all 4 right now and TRY to reduce the rebuild we're pretending hasn't started from 7 years to 5.  A little pain now for a lot of relief in 2027.

Very soon everyone's going to have to realize that these are our last 4 actual chips, and they can't save us by staying here, despite the fact that I am a fan of 3 of them, as are most here.

Like everyone keeps telling me "you don't understand what it takes to get high picks".

Yeah.  Yeah I do.

Get on with it.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I have. He's running out of leagues where he's at. I'd project him as a 1D.

Great wingspan, great skater and smart. I like him a lot. Large and in charge I like Wallinder a lot, but that kid is a 1D imho. He's the dominant D on his pro men's team.

Nobody is doing what he's doing on D at 17. Nobody. It's not even close imho.

K.

So this I'll buy.   D is hard for stats guys.   But I for sure recognize the value of D.   I'll get on that wagon.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

what I want to see is if there are any young teams that just need that 1B Center to help push them over that might be in the Top10 of the draft.

I get that we aren't in a position to do that as they just traded Tkachuk for vets so they probably would prefer a similar deal. 

me on the other hand, I'd like to do a top 10 deal and possibly get that Horvat or more; kind of like how the Canucks traded Schneider for that pick. I'd want more though...

but are there any young teams that have talent in their core that just need a push over the edge?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

He's good for another season isn't he?  

I realise I have a contract learning disability but that seems like an ideal trade time to me.  Basically when we Should have traded Gaudreau, etc. etc.

I'm not getting in the way of the fire Sutter project.  sure ok.

We will get zero back for Backlund, it's pointless, really.   Time to do that was a few years ago if we were going to.  At this point I think Backlund's greateset value could be as a mentor into his retirement and after that possibly a role in the organization.

Here's the thing:

Getting a top draft pick, or really any meaningful picks, is painful.  People keep telling me that.  yeah I KNOW lol.

What's more painful?   Letting them all walk away for free the last few years.

We have a very limited list of vets with remaining value, due to massive contract anchors.

imho they are:

Lindholm

Toffoli

Hanifin

Rasmus

Yeah.   4.  That's it, I said it,  We all know it, cause the rest are all in nightmare contracts.

3/4 are Aweful to trade.    Hanifin's kinda useless imho.   

If it were me, I'd trade all 4 right now and TRY to reduce the rebuild we're pretending hasn't started from 7 years to 5.  A little pain now for a lot of relief in 2027.

Very soon everyone's going to have to realize that these are our last 4 actual chips, and they can't save us by staying here, despite the fact that I am a fan of 3 of them, as are most here.

Like everyone keeps telling me "you don't understand what it takes to get high picks".

Yeah.  Yeah I do.

Get on with it.

Yeah, Hanifin (young D) with 38 points and Backlund with 64 have no value.  That's why players of that ilk sign big UFA contracts.  Backlund's no Bergeron, but he has value.  

I'm in no hurry to trade Toffoli or Lindholm.  If they can perform under a Sutter game, they would be scoring a lot more under a different one.  

The degree of trades depends on the type of coach we end up with.  No change and we might as well trade Mangiapane, Hanifin, Backlund, Tanev, Vladar and Ruzicka.  

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, Hanifin (young D) with 38 points and Backlund with 64 have no value.  That's why players of that ilk sign big UFA contracts.  Backlund's no Bergeron, but he has value.  

I'm in no hurry to trade Toffoli or Lindholm.  If they can perform under a Sutter game, they would be scoring a lot more under a different one.  

The degree of trades depends on the type of coach we end up with.  No change and we might as well trade Mangiapane, Hanifin, Backlund, Tanev, Vladar and Ruzicka.  

I never said Hanifin didn't have value lol.  He has huge value, I'm just not a huge fan.  The other 3, absolutely I am.

and I'm a huge fan of Backlund.  Yeah man if you can get a first for Backlund, do it.  But don't  waste your time for a 3rd rounder, he's more valuable within the organisation than that.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't want to trade Lindholm either. I'm just saying for conversations. I think he's the type to build around.

I'm asking just in case he doesn't sign and wanted to be sure he's on a contender and feels the team is able to be one with what we have. If it were me, I'd be a little worried considering we will have to deplete the roster even a bit more in order to afford him and a few others. 

im not him... I would be the type to sign for less and to try be more competitive, but that also depends on whether the GM is competent to be competitive.

someone has to go, I just wonder if we can get someone in this supposed deep draft while we can for someone that is signed this season. Maybe you're right, and the TDL is where the value will be.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree, I'm not looking to trade him. I'm just creating conversations. I would prefer to keep him. 

I wouldn't look to deal him either, but hopefully the Flames learned from Johnny.

It's unfortunate, because they actually can't sign Lindholm at the draft because the new league year hasn't started. They still need to have the conversations, make their best offer. If it's not gonna work, move him. STL has a bunch of picks that they are willing to move.