2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Hopefully they can get Hurtig to come over this year. For a late round pick, the sooner they can get him over, the better. Especially for a junior team owned by the Flames.

Detroit's on the phone, says it's urgent.lol

Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johanson, Raymond, Kasper. This wasn't the way. Why do this with a young 7th pick?

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Detroit's on the phone, says it's urgent.lol

Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johanson, Raymond, Kasper. This wasn't the way. Why do this with a young 7th pick?

I'm not sure he come over for this.

What are the advantages to him playing in Canadian juniors?

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure he come over for this.

What are the advantages to him playing in Canadian juniors?

The biggest advantage would be the Flames getting eyes on him every day. They can be in charge if his development, play big minutes, key situations. Won’t get that in Sweden necessarily

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The biggest advantage would be the Flames getting eyes on him every day. They can be in charge if his development, play big minutes, key situations. Won’t get that in Sweden necessarily

Works for us, yes.

For him?

Sweden not a bad place to learn the game.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Works for us, yes.

For him?

Sweden not a bad place to learn the game.

Ultimately, it depends what the player wants. He could stay in Sweden and make a good living playing hockey.

If he wants to play in the NHL though, the sooner he gets to North America, the better. I don't think the Hitmen took him by accident. I think the organization wants him here.

Hurtig hurt his shoulder at the under 18s and won’t be ready for the season. 

however the language in Chynoweths quote here, and the fact the Hitmen released an import Dman right after the draft, all but confirms he’ll be here. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Hurtig hurt his shoulder at the under 18s and won’t be ready for the season. 

however the language in Chynoweths quote here, and the fact the Hitmen released an import Dman right after the draft, all but confirms he’ll be here. 

Oof did we know he needed surgery before drafting him?  Is it a serious injury?  Is that why his stock dropped and he might be a diamond in the rough who fell to us in the 7th round?

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Oof did we know he needed surgery before drafting him?  Is it a serious injury?  Is that why his stock dropped and he might be a diamond in the rough who fell to us in the 7th round?

Giants and shoulder surgery may go hand-in-hand. Even preventative surgeries happen. He didn't fall in the draft, he's a 7th rder that may have gone undrafted otherwise. Which is why the Hitmen drafting him was pretty dumb imo. Jr isn't supposed to be a farm team. Why use that pick on someone that has already been drafted and is in a good program at home?? Nonsense.

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Ultimately, it depends what the player wants. He could stay in Sweden and make a good living playing hockey.

If he wants to play in the NHL though, the sooner he gets to North America, the better. I don't think the Hitmen took him by accident. I think the organization wants him here.

SOmtimes I think you need to let the players develop where they learned the game.  Then you don't need to bother when they don't develop. 

On 7/6/2023 at 8:50 AM, travel_dude said:

SOmtimes I think you need to let the players develop where they learned the game.  Then you don't need to bother when they don't develop. 

In this specific instance his older brother is also developing towards the SHL. What exactly are we gaining by pulling an 18yo out of his comfort zone where lots of support already exists? It's like a media-driven move which is as sad as it is pathetic. I never want to see CSEC do this again. Fireable offense.

I suppose they'll say the Hitmen wanted him pre-NHL draft and it's coincidental.

I worry that the franchise is becoming a complete misadventure (I'll refrain from a stronger word) and to do this isn't helping. I get that most will say that it's no big deal.

We offered Lindholm 8 x $9 by all accounts. "He's still deciding". We are now at zero, if not negative, pride.

Who's running this Satoshi Nakamotoshow that gets Satoshi Nakamototier and Satoshi Nakamototier?

Where are we when Lindholm decides, "yeah, no"? Trade the Blockchaining guy already and spare yourself yet another major embarrassment.

At what point can we stop pretending that our meathead players are the best meathead players and take control back? It's embarrassing. Stop trying to be everyone's buddy and be a business. Be ALL business. Stop Blockchaining around. Stop tip-toeing every issue and take a stand for once.

I am totally losing faith in the continuous soft ownership/management.

It's a rant, sure. I'm losing my grip on being a fan of a franchise showing almost zero pride and bending over backwards for a run-of-the-mill middling roster.

If Lindholm is our be-all to end-all, we're already Blockchained. times 8 years for being afraid of change...

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I worry that the franchise is becoming a complete misadventure (I'll refrain from a stronger word) and to do this isn't helping. I get that most will say that it's no big deal.

We offered Lindholm 8 x $9 by all accounts. "He's still deciding". We are now at zero, if not negative, pride.

Who's running this Satoshi Nakamotoshow that gets Satoshi Nakamototier and Satoshi Nakamototier?

Where are we when Lindholm decides, "yeah, no"? Trade the Blockchaining guy already and spare yourself yet another major embarrassment.

At what point can we stop pretending that our meathead players are the best meathead players and take control back? It's embarrassing. Stop trying to be everyone's buddy and be a business. Be ALL business. Stop Blockchaining around. Stop tip-toeing every issue and take a stand for once.

I am totally losing faith in the continuous soft ownership/management.

It's a rant, sure. I'm losing my grip on being a fan of a franchise showing almost zero pride and bending over backwards for a run-of-the-mill middling roster.

If Lindholm is our be-all to end-all, we're already Blockchained. times 8 years for being afraid of change...

I worry about how the media is either being used to put forth an agenda, or is forcing an agenda.  Like the report of Lindy 8x9.  Is that some leaked inept contract negotiations or is it the media try to soft sell whatever deal is igned.  Oh, we signed 8x8.5 so we dodged a bullet.  Honestly, I don't know what he's worth.  Was one of the better 2-way C's a couple of years ago.  Then he played with Toffoli and ??.  Less than specatular.  

Anyway, to your point, we hang onto players like they are the solution.  Every good team turns over the roster.  I hate Vegas, but they show no mercy.  They don't care about the individual just the team.  All business.  We are all feelings and rainbows.  We outbid on the crap and underbid on the usefull players.  I don't think this is the GM.  It's the people that determine what the team needs.  The pro scouts.  The guy telling the GM who we need.  They gotta go.  And FFS, make a trade if a guy doesn't want to play here instead of the media circus.  

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I worry about how the media is either being used to put forth an agenda, or is forcing an agenda.  Like the report of Lindy 8x9.  Is that some leaked inept contract negotiations or is it the media try to soft sell whatever deal is igned.  Oh, we signed 8x8.5 so we dodged a bullet.  Honestly, I don't know what he's worth.  Was one of the better 2-way C's a couple of years ago.  Then he played with Toffoli and ??.  Less than specatular.  

Anyway, to your point, we hang onto players like they are the solution.  Every good team turns over the roster.  I hate Vegas, but they show no mercy.  They don't care about the individual just the team.  All business.  We are all feelings and rainbows.  We outbid on the crap and underbid on the usefull players.  I don't think this is the GM.  It's the people that determine what the team needs.  The pro scouts.  The guy telling the GM who we need.  They gotta go.  And FFS, make a trade if a guy doesn't want to play here instead of the media circus.  

Well I get the media-driven rumours need a grain of salt the size of Airdrie, but the Flames have fed the hysteria. Stop sugar-coating a dog-eat-dog world. I don't need the media to dictate what I see. The Flames get little coverage here so I can only imagine there being like the Leafs here.

When your 9th best-in-the-league 3rd line center that everyone wants to be captain for I don't understand reasons is popping off that he wants a chance at a cup in a trade request, I have no idea what fans think of that. Get rid of him. Why is this difficult? I'm pretty sure he's been a whole bunch of vanilla-flavoured whatever in playoff runs. Who needs that outside of fans that overrate him? He is the pillar of mediocrity that is the Calgary Flames. He's Andrew Copp or Filip Chytil with a cocky-as-Blockchain attitude that he helps win cups. He doesn't. Where does he get off with this crap? He's more problem than solution. Sure you can get the puck to their goalie so the 1st line can get a faceoff in their end. Awesome. If average is the goal, you crush it. "But he's great defensively and with young players. He's a stats darling". Okay. Where are the results to show that those specific things matter in the countless years that he's been here?

So it's down to "pillar of the community". $5mil/yr to the community is worth more than a figurehead. But sure. He's just a hockey player. He's paid for his services, like any hockey player. I hate the, "well he's earned the right" argument. Play until the end of your contract and then do whatever you think is right.

I'm really tired of this stiff upper lip crap.

End the love-in. We aren't good on paper or otherwise. Quit acting like it's exciting, new, and that the roster (completely anyone) is irreplaceable. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

50 pretty good players want that seat. The org needs to start acting that way and stop with the we owe them something. Did the cheques bounce? We owe them nothing.

Stop putting everyone on a pedestal. They'll disappoint you.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Well I get the media-driven rumours need a grain of salt the size of Airdrie, but the Flames have fed the hysteria. Stop sugar-coating a dog-eat-dog world. I don't need the media to dictate what I see. The Flames get little coverage here so I can only imagine there being like the Leafs here.

When your 9th best-in-the-league 3rd line center that everyone wants to be captain for I don't understand reasons is popping off that he wants a chance at a cup in a trade request, I have no idea what fans think of that. Get rid of him. Why is this difficult? I'm pretty sure he's been a whole bunch of vanilla-flavoured whatever in playoff runs. Who needs that outside of fans that overrate him? He is the pillar of mediocrity that is the Calgary Flames. He's Andrew Copp or Filip Chytil with a cocky-as-Blockchain attitude that he helps win cups. He doesn't. Where does he get off with this crap? He's more problem than solution. Sure you can get the puck to their goalie so the 1st line can get a faceoff in their end. Awesome. If average is the goal, you crush it. "But he's great defensively and with young players. He's a stats darling". Okay. Where are the results to show that those specific things matter in the countless years that he's been here?

So it's down to "pillar of the community". $5mil/yr to the community is worth more than a figurehead. But sure. He's just a hockey player. He's paid for his services, like any hockey player. I hate the, "well he's earned the right" argument. Play until the end of your contract and then do whatever you think is right.

I'm really tired of this stiff upper lip crap.

End the love-in. We aren't good on paper or otherwise. Quit acting like it's exciting, new, and that the roster (completely anyone) is irreplaceable. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

50 pretty good players want that seat. The org needs to start acting that way and stop with the we owe them something. Did the cheques bounce? We owe them nothing.

Stop putting everyone on a pedestal. They'll disappoint you.

At this point I don't even care about the return on a Backlund trade.  If all you get is a Hathaway, that's exactly what we miss.  I sometimes trash Coleman, but it's not him.  He was brought in as a cup finisher to a team that is devoid of emotion.  Backlund is the "hold me back" player after the whistle type.  Skate by a situation or chance because you tired.  Dump the puck in OT.  Perimeter.  The only time I like his play is the drive the net on an odd man rush.  But then you look at the guy he was with and wonder why doesn;t this turn into a 2 on 1 passing play instead of a 1 on 1 and still have the goalie to beat,  

I can count on one hand players I would be upset to see go.  Even then it would be more upset at the lack of return.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

At this point I don't even care about the return on a Backlund trade.  If all you get is a Hathaway, that's exactly what we miss.  I sometimes trash Coleman, but it's not him.  He was brought in as a cup finisher to a team that is devoid of emotion.  Backlund is the "hold me back" player after the whistle type.  Skate by a situation or chance because you tired.  Dump the puck in OT.  Perimeter.  The only time I like his play is the drive the net on an odd man rush.  But then you look at the guy he was with and wonder why doesn;t this turn into a 2 on 1 passing play instead of a 1 on 1 and still have the goalie to beat,  

I can count on one hand players I would be upset to see go.  Even then it would be more upset at the lack of return.  

A 34-year-old pending UFA was never going to get much anyways.  Best to maximize trade value at TDL when other teams run into injuries before the playoffs.  Take the risk. Right now he might get us a 3rd round pick or low-tier prospect.  At TDL, he could fetch a 2nd rounder depending on his numbers.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

A 34-year-old pending UFA was never going to get much anyways.  Best to maximize trade value at TDL when other teams run into injuries before the playoffs.  Take the risk. Right now he might get us a 3rd round pick or low-tier prospect.  At TDL, he could fetch a 2nd rounder depending on his numbers.

Yup, he has value in terms of leadership and mentorship and intangibles.   I would trade him for a 2nd, but I just don't think we'll get that.   If we do at any point, sure.  But at this point he may be more valuable to is than he is to other teams.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sorry, but I don't think he's worth taking the risk on.  Keep him and you get a career season out of him and we don't trade him.  

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Yup, he has value in terms of leadership and mentorship and intangibles.   I would trade him for a 2nd, but I just don't think we'll get that.   If we do at any point, sure.  But at this point he may be more valuable to is than he is to other teams.

Half retained at the deadline, you get a 2nd+. 

Lars Eller went for a 2nd at this past deadline and is not as good a player.

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Half retained at the deadline, you get a 2nd+. 

Lars Eller went for a 2nd at this past deadline and is not as good a player.

I'd say Eller is an exact Backlund comparable in talent, experience and age. Signed 2 x $2.45 with the Pens @ 34yo is a precise comparable to extending Backlund. TDL may get a 2nd for Backlund too. And should have last year.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:15 PM, conundrumed said:

My 60. Apologies to Strathman[98], Fowler[69], McCarthy[86], Dvorak[54], Suniev[80], Cataford[77], Rykov[100], Rehkopf[50], Shaugabay[115], Kiiskinen[68], Hameenaho[58], Terrance[59]....definitely in the conversation.

41 forwards, 16 dmen, 3 goalies.

(1)   1. Connor Bedard C/RH

(3)   2. Adam Fantilli C/L

(2)   3. Leo Carlsson C/L

(4)   4. Will Smith C/R

(7)   5. Matvei Michkov W/R

(13) 6. Zach Benson W/L - wow

(8)   7. Ryan Leonard W/R

(5)   8. David Reinbacher D/R

(10) 9. Dalibor Dvorsky C/L

(9)  10. Nate Danielson C/R

(19)11. Oliver Moore C/L

(18)12. Colby Barlow W/L

(6)  13, Dmitri Simashev D/L

(19)14. Brayden Yager C/R

(17)15, Axel Sandin Pellikka D/R

(15)16. Matt Wood W/R

(26)17. Quentin Musty W/L

(40)18. Andrew Cristall W/L - shouldn't have assumed teams over-valuing

(20)19. Edouard Sale W/R

(23)20. Gabe Perrault W/L

(31)21. Mikhail Gulyayev D/L

(22)22. Calum Ritchie C/R

(25)23. Otto Stenberg C/L

(16)24. Samuel Honzek C/L

(11)25. Tom Willander D/R

(34)26. Gavin Brindley C/R

(64)27. Riley Heidt C/L - see Andrew Cristall

(37)28. Ethan Gauthier W/R

(12)29. Daniil But W/R - Hilarious

(57)30. Lukas Dragicevic D/R - See Andrew Cristall

(94)31. Jayden Perron W/R - oh boy. Small player torture. Wicked skill.

(22)32. Oliver Bonk D/R TML so saddened they went way offboard for a Knight

(36)33. Kasper Halttunen W/R

(66)34. William Whitelaw C/R - solid steal

(21)35. Charlie Stramel C/R - that's a stretch. Size wins the day

(30)36. Bradley Nadeau C/R

(78)37. Koehn Ziemmer W/L

(32)38. David Edstrom C/L

(63)39. Gracyn Sawchyn C/R - solid steal

(38)40. Michael Hrabel G/L

(29)41. Theo Lidstein D/L

(24)42. Tanner Molendyk D/L - like him, but that's high

(84)43. Caden Price D/L - u18 shenanigans

(52)44. Oskar Fiskar-Molgaard C/L

(136)45. Cam Allen D/R - See Caden Price

(45)46. Maxim Strbak D/R

(67)47. Nick Lardis W/L

(73)48. Noah Dower-Nilsson C/L

(41)49. Trey Augustine G/L

(51)50. Carson Bjarnason G/L

(48)51. Etienne Morin D/L

(123)52. Luca Cagnoni D/L - See Jayden Perron

(75)53. Hunter Brzustewicz D/R

(49)54. Danny Nelson C/L

(120)55. Alex Ciernic W/L - Oilers with a potential steal

(39)56. Anton Wahlberg C/L

(56)57. Beau Akey D/R

(46)58. Kalan Lind W/L

(44)59. Roman Kantserov W/L

(114)60. Luca Pinelli C/L - See Jayden Perron

Have to audit myself!! Actual draft in parenthesis.

There were some crazy headscratchers.

I felt like I was rating 3 players too high due to thinking a team would bite. Cristall, Heidt and Dragicevic. No one bit.lol Thought for sure Chicago would take Bedard's best pal.

The best part of the draft was Kent Johnson's remote interview. Saying that Bedard and Cristall had sad excuses for missing their ball hockey game and that their lockers would be cleaned out when they get home.rofl.