2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

The deadline has come and gone. It's getting to be draft season.

It's looking like an excellent draft, headlined by the big 4.

Bedard

Fantili

Carlsson

Michkov

In a perfect world, the Flames snag a D with their 1st pick. They are extremely thin in defensive prospects. Unfortunately, there aren't many high end D at the top of the class. 

A player I would really like is Lukas Dragicevic with Tri City in the Dub. RHD, 65pts in 57 games. Flames would have seen him a lot watching Parker Bell. 

Really good year for the WHL. Calgary may not have to look far to find their 1st pick.

They won't have a shot at Bedard, Benson or Cristall.

Other high end Dub prospects that CGY could have a shot at

Dragicevic 

Brayden Yager- RHS C with Moose Jaw

Nate Danielson- RHS C with Brandon

Riley Heidt- LHS C with Prince George.

Another strong year for the Americans too.

Looking at Elite prospects, a few players that appeal to me are

On D

David Reinbacher 6’2 RHS Austrian

Lukas Dragicevic 6’2 RHS Canadian 

Oliver Bonk 6’1 RHS Canadian 

Tom Willander 6’1 RHS Swede

At C

Calum Ritchie 6’2 RHS Canadian 

Nate Danielsen 6’1 RHS Canadian 

On RW

Kasper Haltunnen 6’3 RHS Finn

I am only looking at rankings online, so I am sure others know prospects better, but none of the above would be considered a reach from what I can see in the 10-20 pick range.

• Like 1

The Flames would be picking 11th in the draft right now. That puts them in the Bedard sweepstakes.

The difference between picking 10th and 16th is so small right now. We all know the Flames will rattle off a win streak after being mathematically eliminated to butcher their draft position...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames would be picking 11th in the draft right now. That puts them in the Bedard sweepstakes.

The difference between picking 10th and 16th is so small right now. We all know the Flames will rattle off a win streak after being mathematically eliminated to butcher their draft position...

Save it for the positivity thread, TBC!

Love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Looking at Elite prospects, a few players that appeal to me are

On D

David Reinbacher 6’2 RHS Austrian

Lukas Dragicevic 6’2 RHS Canadian 

Oliver Bonk 6’1 RHS Canadian 

Tom Willander 6’1 RHS Swede

At C

Calum Ritchie 6’2 RHS Canadian 

Nate Danielsen 6’1 RHS Canadian 

On RW

Kasper Haltunnen 6’3 RHS Finn

I am only looking at rankings online, so I am sure others know prospects better, but none of the above would be considered a reach from what I can see in the 10-20 pick range.

My interest is Reinbacher and Dragicevic. Then Bonk and Ritchie whom I've watched more of. I'm going to start watching more Euro now. Maybe some WHL.

I'm also going to look at rankings very generally because the majority of 17yos aren't getting primo icetime vs their older counterparts.

I watch Michigan U teams a lot. They're all good. Hughes is already my vote for 2nd for the Calder next year, NJ has something special coming at D.

With Detroit and Calgary drafting right beside each other, St. Loo even maybe(will they keep their pick?), I'm going to focus on the draft now for excitement.

Hope Boston goes to the Finals and is tired next year because Detroit has their 1st pick. I really don't care this year. LA maybe because of Korpisalo. Didn't he have like 80+ saves vs TBag in the playoffs one year? I feel like he's always gotten the shaft for how good he actually is.

Maybe the Flames still have time to add some picks on the floor which I wish they would. Have to make up for the strain we put on our prospect pool, at some point.

EDIT left out Colby Barlow, LW, Owen Sound's Captain already. Currently my 1st choice.

I do have a bright side for the season. The CHL gave Sarnia Sting the 10th rank in the country. So they followed that up by beating Conference leaders London(9th ranked)  6-1 and Windsor 9-6 in back-to-backs. So that's fun. The TDL acquisitions are starting to click, scoring isn't a problem.

Packed barn every night. Superfun for a small market team.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My interest is Reinbacher and Dragicevic. Then Bonk and Ritchie whom I've watched more of. I'm going to start watching more Euro now. Maybe some WHL.

I'm also going to look at rankings very generally because the majority of 17yos aren't getting primo icetime vs their older counterparts.

I watch Michigan U teams a lot. They're all good. Hughes is already my vote for 2nd for the Calder next year, NJ has something special coming at D.

With Detroit and Calgary drafting right beside each other, St. Loo even maybe(will they keep their pick?), I'm going to focus on the draft now for excitement.

Hope Boston goes to the Finals and is tired next year because Detroit has their 1st pick. I really don't care this year. LA maybe because of Korpisalo. Didn't he have like 80+ saves vs TBag in the playoffs one year? I feel like he's always gotten the shaft for how good he actually is.

Maybe the Flames still have time to add some picks on the floor which I wish they would. Have to make up for the strain we put on our prospect pool, at some point.

EDIT left out Colby Barlow, LW, Owen Sound's Captain already. Currently my 1st choice.

I do have a bright side for the season. The CHL gave Sarnia Sting the 10th rank in the country. So they followed that up by beating Conference leaders London(9th ranked)  6-1 and Windsor 9-6 in back-to-backs. So that's fun. The TDL acquisitions are starting to click, scoring isn't a problem.

Packed barn every night. Superfun for a small market team.

Right now Yager and Dragicevic are high on my wish list.

I'll have to dive into some of the Q and O guys.

Reinbacher and Dragicevic should be top 10 picks I think. The consensus is that the D class isn't good. But teams will always take the RHD regardless of what the "experts" online and in the media think. 

I'll admit that I have only looked at online scouting reports and mock drafts, so these are my wild guesses based on the Flames picking between 10th & 20th.

C - Brayden Yager, Calum Ritchie

LW - Colby Barlow, Andrew Cristall

RW - Most of the top rated are "undersized" - Gabriel Perreault, Ethan Gauthier

D - Axel SandinPellikka, David Reinbacher

G- No one that I'd pick in the 10-20 spot, but maybe in the 2nd round - Michael Hrabal, Carson Bjarnason

It's a bit daunting not knowing where we'll draft. Currently at 11, could be 16th. Fair sized difference. Detroit's thrown in the towel, may just lose out, though not on purpose. From too many wingers to Oesterle playing wing.lol

Watching the Wings in Philly last night...

This caused me to reflect. Between periods we get panels with incessant opinions that are pretty simply formulated. To hear from the GM is like staged theater and an announced schedule when he will talk to media and it's all pretty staged with sound bites and seemingly pre-approved questions.

Road game in Philly after 1, and we're treated to this. Seems pretty open and honest. Best of all, fans are watching the game, so it's accessible and a great way to watch between periods rather than a bunch of fluff. And not, "we have to be better at this and that" jargon.

Takes a lot of edge off of the fans when a GM actually just gives his honest assessment of what he's hoping to accomplish.

Still in play imho.    With a little lotto luck.   But if you click enough times on the draft simulator....lol

With regards to position, I think you have to go pure BPA in this draft.

The last few drafts were very goalie and defenseman rich.  To the point that I advocated taking advantage of that since there would be little to no deviation from BPA.      And quite honestly, would have been a great start to an inevitable rebuild.

We didn't.  lol.

This draft, I would also LOVE a defenseman or goalie if they became available and are arguably BPA.  But it is relatively unlikely to happen in this particular draft, at least in the first round.    Not the end of the world, this draft is so deep we could come away with an incredible Center or RW etc.

At the end of the day you want to pick the player that everyone else missed.    Winning positionally IS nice but secondary to this.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's a bit daunting not knowing where we'll draft. Currently at 11, could be 16th. Fair sized difference. Detroit's thrown in the towel, may just lose out, though not on purpose. From too many wingers to Oesterle playing wing.lol

Watching the Wings in Philly last night...

This caused me to reflect. Between periods we get panels with incessant opinions that are pretty simply formulated. To hear from the GM is like staged theater and an announced schedule when he will talk to media and it's all pretty staged with sound bites and seemingly pre-approved questions.

Road game in Philly after 1, and we're treated to this. Seems pretty open and honest. Best of all, fans are watching the game, so it's accessible and a great way to watch between periods rather than a bunch of fluff. And not, "we have to be better at this and that" jargon.

Takes a lot of edge off of the fans when a GM actually just gives his honest assessment of what he's hoping to accomplish.

wish he was our GM.

He said he can't lose Bertuzzi for nothing. Albeit they're in a different situation, where the playoffs are not a foregone conclusion like it was with the Flames. I like the honesty.

I haven’t done a lot of research but as of right now the two guys in our range that I am looking the most at are Dalibor Dvorsky and Oliver Moore. Both are top 6 centers and could have that number 1 center potential.

I am really intrigued by Axel Sandin-Pellikka’s skating and puck moving ability. Just not sure how much offensive upside is there.

My early dark horse is Samuel Honzek big rangy center with good skating ability and good hands, he is really coming on strong as the season goes on.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I haven’t done a lot of research but as of right now the two guys in our range that I am looking the most at are Dalibor Dvorsky and Oliver Moore. Both are top 6 centers and could have that number 1 center potential.

I am really intrigued by Axel Sandin-Pellikka’s skating and puck moving ability. Just not sure how much offensive upside is there.

My early dark horse is Samuel Honzek big rangy center with good skating ability and good hands, he is really coming on strong as the season goes on.

As soon as we start drooling over a potential pick, we will see the Flames win just enough to mess up a decent pick.

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Lots to like with Colby Barlow.

Captaining his team in his draft year. Likely going to score 50 as a draft eligible. 74 goals in 114 OHL games.

There is. I've seen him a handful of times. I don't think that he'll get out of the top 10 though. I currently see him around 7-8. OS doesn't have much talent. He's driving the bus.

The Russian factor is really going to be interesting this year. With teams not being able to watch and get eyes on the Russian players this year and the question marks with Russia in general, I think some talented players could drop hard this draft.

Michkov probably is drafted 2nd or 3rd if everything was normal, but I could see him fall in this draft. He also is signed in the KHL till 2026. So that adds to the risk with him. Which team is going to take a chance?

I would say Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson are your locks to go in the top 5, after that it’s hard to find a consensus with this draft. I have seen Barlow ranked in the top 10 and I have seen him in the 20’s. The 1st round will probably come down to what kind of player each team is looking for, there is plenty of talent available.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The Russian factor is really going to be interesting this year. With teams not being able to watch and get eyes on the Russian players this year and the question marks with Russia in general, I think some talented players could drop hard this draft.

Michkov probably is drafted 2nd or 3rd if everything was normal, but I could see him fall in this draft. He also is signed in the KHL till 2026. So that adds to the risk with him. Which team is going to take a chance?

I would say Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson are your locks to go in the top 5, after that it’s hard to find a consensus with this draft. I have seen Barlow ranked in the top 10 and I have seen him in the 20’s. The 1st round will probably come down to what kind of player each team is looking for, there is plenty of talent available.

Without question the elephant in the room. Can teams do what Minny did and have Kaprisov be the outcome? I would in a heartbeat. Fans won't like it, but that's 3 seasons developing in a men's league. It's all a question of risk. I think he'll fall personally. Not because he's not a great add, but because of unknowns with outcome.

Who can wait 3 years with zero input? Tough one for sure. You can have a potential superstar with no control or else a really quality player with full control.

I think him and a few other Russians will be the story of the draft.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Without question the elephant in the room. Can teams do what Minny did and have Kaprisov be the outcome? I would in a heartbeat. Fans won't like it, but that's 3 seasons developing in a men's league. It's all a question of risk. I think he'll fall personally. Not because he's not a great add, but because of unknowns with outcome.

Who can wait 3 years with zero input? Tough one for sure. You can have a potential superstar with no control or else a really quality player with full control.

I think him and a few other Russians will be the story of the draft.

Not too mention if your scouts have two guys close in talent they are going to put the guy they have actually seen in person ahead of the guy they haven’t seen in a year.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

So yesterday before our Dallas game TSN did a mock draft using the standings positions at that time. From their Mock lotto they had Canucks moving up to pick 2nd overall.

Button shares his 2023 TSN Mock Draft

13th pick Nate Danielson

Just checked out some highlights of Danielson because Craig and Tod generally share similar thoughts... boy what a drop down in talent from someone like Yager/Barlow to Danielson. Mock drafts have Danielson ranked 20/21 so sounds about right.  Since we're picking 16th overall, we'll reach.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There is. I've seen him a handful of times. I don't think that he'll get out of the top 10 though. I currently see him around 7-8. OS doesn't have much talent. He's driving the bus.

How much have you seen of Hunter Brzustewicz with Kitchener? From what I've seen, I like him.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So we are drafting 16th overall confirmed.

1-9 is almost set.  STL would really need to start winning to catch up.

10-16 is all within 6 points from top to bottom.

By point% remaining exactly the same:

NAS 92

CGY 89.5

OTT 88.5

BUF 88.5

FLA 88.2

WAS 85.7

DET 84.6

Now none of this takes into account current records.  Only us and FLA have 2 wins in a row,

We have played 65 games along with FLA and WAS.

The other teams have 2 games in hand on us.

NAS has 4 games in hand.

We have gained almost no ground on teams in front of us for the WC spots in a month.

I have no idea why after 60 games we decided we would show up.

It does nothing than reward the marginal players for a job well done.

Or should I say a job well watched others doing.

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

How much have you seen of Hunter Brzustewicz with Kitchener? From what I've seen, I like him.

They're in Sarnia Sunday afternoon so I'll pay attention. He definitely came from a good devt background I see.

Will be another crazy packed house. Nice to watch a really good OHL team for a change.

I'll see how good he is at picking pucks out of his net.lol

• Like 1