2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

The Wild is what you get when you have undying love for a team, much like a Calgary, Vancouver and so on. 

It's more than that. The kids leagues are insane in Minnesota, add in the many private prep schools that focus on hockey. Think of the US' football-crazed states like Ohio where the high school fields are way nicer than the CFL, then think of applying that level to hockey. That's Minnesota, and why I can never hate the Wild.

Every year, there are more NHLers from Minny than any other state. You could treat Minny as a country and they're probably top 5 in producing NHL players.

This tourney is like the movies where the old guys are put on a pedestal for winning State in 1978. For these kids, it's exactly the same.

Which brings me to a humourous interlude. I saw this folk singer in both Calgary and Edmonton. He's typically not this "country"...but his shows are typically 3 hours because his stories are endless between songs. Highly recommended.

Well, got tix for usntdp for Saturday. Couldn't resist. $US12.

They're having a record setting season so gotta see them once this year!! They've only got 2 games left.

You can watch any of the 5 Nations Cup games from their site if you're bored. In case you didn't know but wanna see a bunch prospects and top prospects.

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/watchfivenations

A 10-0 drubbing over Muskegon. But always a fun experience. I have no idea how you create separation between Will Smith and Oliver Moore at the draft table, I'm going with Moore. The separation for me is first and foremost skating. He explodes wherever he's going. Smith's skating is decent and his edges are above avg. It's at the dot and defensively where Moore comes out ahead. He harasses the puck all over the ice. He's so much faster than everyone else that the opposition is always on their heels and he forces bad decisions.

Neither will be there with our wonderful goal of picking 15-16. Ryan Leonard could be, and would likely be a good pick. I'd compare him to maybe Wyatt Johnson. Good shot and works hard/physical.

There are a lot of players in that range though. I'd likely want Brindley in that range. He's somewhat hidden in that lethal Michigan roster, but he's also similar to Moore. Fast as f#$%.

I'm a big fan of guys that can play at elite speed.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Nate Danielson feels like a Flames pick. Some similarities to Zary in the way he was used in the Dub and the production.

Of course, the Flames might have a new management come draft time.

Since we're picking 15th overall, I think Danielson is the best that remains on the board.  He looks like a "for sure" NHLer.  Possible Backlund replacement for the next 15 years.  Two way guy.  I like that he's RHS C and the organization lacks RHS in general.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Since we're picking 15th overall, I think Danielson is the best that remains on the board.  He looks like a "for sure" NHLer.  Possible Backlund replacement for the next 15 years.  Two way guy.  I like that he's RHS C and the organization lacks RHS in general.

Between about 6 to 30-something, there is little definition in bpa. There will be a lot of good players there. There's a few that I hope we avoid, but not many. I have Danielson around 10-12 for now. But that's just me watching what little I can of the WHL.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Between about 6 to 30-something, there is little definition in bpa. There will be a lot of good players there. There's a few that I hope we avoid, but not many. I have Danielson around 10-12 for now. But that's just me watching what little I can of the WHL.

I hope we don't trade down and lose out on someone just to gain an asset, someone who barely makes it. I get it was a success with Kylington, but I don't recall it being successful any other time, and Kylington has only played one full season up to now, so it's hardly a success, yet.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I hope we don't trade down and lose out on someone just to gain an asset, someone who barely makes it. I get it was a success with Kylington, but I don't recall it being successful any other time, and Kylington has only played one full season up to now, so it's hardly a success, yet.

We gonna get 1st overall, so no worries about trading down.

The bigger issue is forcing Bedard to play out the junior career cuz he's too small.

The going to the AHL to get ready.

Or play him on the 4th line until he ears more than 8 minutes.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We gonna get 1st overall, so no worries about trading down.

The bigger issue is forcing Bedard to play out the junior career cuz he's too small.

The going to the AHL to get ready.

Or play him on the 4th line until he ears more than 8 minutes.

Conner is an inch taller than JH and if we do get first over all he will play in the NHL right away just like JH and will be the Rookie of the yr . Some ppl on this form said the exact same thing about JH and look what he did I know JH was older but he is not as good as Conner so I believe he will be here if we get first over all which I highly doubt NHL hates the Flames all because of the crab that happens yrs ago can't remember his name but because the Flames backed him the NHL has never forgave the Flames so even if we get a pick it will not be first NHL will make sure of that.

5 minutes ago, zima said:

Conner is an inch taller than JH and if we do get first over all he will play in the NHL right away just like JH and will be the Rookie of the yr . Some ppl on this form said the exact same thing about JH and look what he did I know JH was older but he is not as good as Conner so I believe he will be here if we get first over all which I highly doubt NHL hates the Flames all because of the crab that happens yrs ago can't remember his name but because the Flames backed him the NHL has never forgave the Flames so even if we get a pick it will not be first NHL will make sure of that.

Well, JH was not a 1st overall and did not play until 3 years after his draft year.

He played one game.

Then he was playing to start the season and they seriously considered sending him to the AHL.

Gaudreau's last season in the NCAA was 2 points per game.

His linemates weren't even top players.

I was being funny that he would play the 4th line or get stuck in junior.

But it also would not surprise me.

If Sutter was here, Gaudreau would never had played a full season as a rookie.

He likely would have earned a callup, but not out of camp.

I will wait for the end of the season to see how we mess up draft order by winning meaningless games.

SJS, ANA, CHI, VAN are all out of the playoffs and would only be playing us hard if we have any chance to make the playoffs.  Once we are out, what do they care?  If NAS is out by game 81, they won't bother playing us hard.  Basically, we have to not lose any games left in March to have a chance.  

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Have we ever signed an undrafted CHL player? I'm seeing them happening and it made me try to think of the Flames ever doing it but I'm coming up blank.

Recently or like all time?

There was that Giordano guy a while back....

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Nick Schneider would be the only one. Gawdin was signed as a CHL free agent.

Guess it's how granular do we want to be.

I would count Gawdin in there, Luke Phillip is another one but he did play university hockey after CHL before he got his contract. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Guess it's how granular do we want to be.

I would count Gawdin in there, Luke Phillip is another one but he did play university hockey after CHL before he got his contract. 

Is it something we ignore? There's a good handful this year that have/will get ELC's. Just wondering if we are proactive in it.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Is it something we ignore? There's a good handful this year that have/will get ELC's. Just wondering if we are proactive in it.

I'd be surprised. They are proactive in all other markets so not sure why this woudln't be one. 

Tough market to be effective in. There ae only a few that are worth pursing usually and I think harsh reality is why are they choosing Calgary?

I find it harder to judge CHL free agents, it’s probably the most heavily scouted league in the world, so to find hidden gems now is pretty rare. The guys who go undrafted, generally go undrafted for a reason. Then you see guys who have massive years as 20 year olds playing against teenagers and I just don’t see those stats as any sort of correlation. In college at least guys are playing against the same age group for the most part.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I find it harder to judge CHL free agents, it’s probably the most heavily scouted league in the world, so to find hidden gems now is pretty rare. The guys who go undrafted, generally go undrafted for a reason. Then you see guys who have massive years as 20 year olds playing against teenagers and I just don’t see those stats as any sort of correlation. In college at least guys are playing against the same age group for the most part.

Yes this.  It's virtually impossible for talent to slip through the cracks in the CHL.  If any CHL late bloomer gets noticed then there's a dozen teams calling their agents.  Best bet is to scout undrafted US college kids or Europe.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Yes this.  It's virtually impossible for talent to slip through the cracks in the CHL.  If any CHL late bloomer gets noticed then there's a dozen teams calling their agents.  Best bet is to scout undrafted US college kids or Europe.

It's actually closer for active players. College has about a 2-1/1.5 ratio on each of CHL and Europe, who are about even.

I'm guessing this year's CHL grads will be the last that were impacted by the virus implications. Which would have been my main concern. Of course there is also a world of camp invites as well. But I've noticed there are some CHL pegs that have been signed to ELCs, which makes sense due to the pandemic. Doucet to the Wings, Burke to the Preds, Sedoff to Vegas. Guessing it'll get a bit busier.

Speed/skating ability and play-making are what I would be heavily prioritizing in evaluating forwards if I were the Flames.

It's no secret the Flames current roster really misses Gaudreau and his ability to distribute and transport the puck. They don't have anyone on their NHL roster that's especially proficient at either. Particularly, at transporting it on the PP. Huberdeau does have the ability to distribute it, but given the way this seasons went, I'm a bit down on him. There's also nothing in the pipeline right now that can address it.

Riley Heidt has me very interested right now. 96pts in 68 games. 71 assists. There's also something to be said about a top prospect that is willing to play his junior in PG. Lesser players have declined to do so. 

Yager is still high on my list. Probably 50/50 if he's there in the 13-17 range. Had a very good year, but not quite to the level that was expected.

Could also be talked into Gabe Perreault.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Speed/skating ability and play-making are what I would be heavily prioritizing in evaluating forwards if I were the Flames.

It's no secret the Flames current roster really misses Gaudreau and his ability to distribute and transport the puck. They don't have anyone on their NHL roster that's especially proficient at either. Particularly, at transporting it on the PP. Huberdeau does have the ability to distribute it, but given the way this seasons went, I'm a bit down on him. There's also nothing in the pipeline right now that can address it.

Riley Heidt has me very interested right now. 96pts in 68 games. 71 assists. There's also something to be said about a top prospect that is willing to play his junior in PG. Lesser players have declined to do so. 

Yager is still high on my list. Probably 50/50 if he's there in the 13-17 range. Had a very good year, but not quite to the level that was expected.

Could also be talked into Gabe Perreault.

Gabe Perrault looks very similar to ex-Sting and brother Jacob to me. High end scorer in lesser leagues but is there enough in the rest of his game to translate? Not sure with Heidt. I can only go by what's being written. Yager's likely right near Barlow in that 7-10 range.

We should do okay regardless of who's there and where we pick. If we sneak in and get a round or more in, oh well.

There isn't a ton of separation after the first 4 for sure, 6-12ish solid, then not a lot separates.

If we end up with Reinbacher or Willander I'm happy with that too. If we go fwd in the 1st rd, I'm kinda hoping for D Tristan Bertucci with Flint for the 2nd. Really like his game. Great skater, good gap control, plays tough on D, sneaky pinches on O. Just a smart player with solid skills.

I hope we avoid Swedish and Finnish fwds, I'm just not feeling it from watching Stenberg, Dower-Nilsson etc. They just seem so passive in their play. Bigger ice maybe, not sure, but not impressed. Stick to Swede D.