2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Just checked out some highlights of Danielson because Craig and Tod generally share similar thoughts... boy what a drop down in talent from someone like Yager/Barlow to Danielson. Mock drafts have Danielson ranked 20/21 so sounds about right.  Since we're picking 16th overall, we'll reach.

That's the thing with this draft I think it will come down to what type of player you are looking for. Yager is a smaller skilled center who will most likely play the wing in the NHL. Danielson is a complete two way forward who has enough skill and skating ability to play on your top 2 lines, and will play center in the NHL. I have seen Danielson listed in the top 10 on some lists. I have seen Yager and Barlow in the top on some lists and in the 20's on others. It really comes down to what the scouts are looking for and quite honestly this might be the one draft where you can pick what you are looking for as opposed to going with the best available player, 6-25 you are getting a high end player.

The only thing is that this might be a down year for high end defensemen, they are in there, but I am looking at centers mostly.

What does everyone use for rankings? I generally stick to MacKenzie and Hockey Prospect. Then I'll see who I can watch live or stream. I've noted a bunch of rank sites in the past that are beyond my comprehension.

I've given them a quick glance and washed my hands again.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What does everyone use for rankings? I generally stick to MacKenzie and Hockey Prospect. Then I'll see who I can watch live or stream. I've noted a bunch of rank sites in the past that are beyond my comprehension.

I've given them a quick glance and washed my hands again.

I use MacKenzie and Button the most. Mackenzie because i think he gives you the best focus on where players are likely to go so you don't get too excited about a guy that will never be there :)

I like looking at Button's can you can find outliers that often the Flames are interested in. Unpopular opinion I actually think Button is a good scout too. 

Only other site I review from time to time is Elite Prospects because they provide an aggregate of different scouting services so you can see the consensus. 

I also subscribe to HockeyProspecting.com. 

• Like 1

The SEL and Allsvenken are heading into their playoffs now. I've caught Dvorsky a bit for AIK. He looks good but on a pretty bad team. They're in 10th so will be in the relegation round. Just watched them lose 5-3, nothing for Dvorsky. Good player though, playing 1st line RW.

I like Button, but damn he just loves everyone so much it makes my head spin.lol

I like that about him. Once took a Calgary to Toronto flight sitting next to him as he was going the the Memorial Cup in Windsor. His phone was going 90 and he was trying to kinda hide texting so I told him that I honestly don't give a flying #$%# so don't worry about it.lol

I'd met him before at the U17 tourney with my young son.

The guy is 100% class and no one can tell me different. And a sharp dresser. He's kinda like Loubourdias and just happy to be a part of it. Never a bad word about anyone or thing.

Which ironically is my only criticism.

If they're trying to tell you what a player lacks, they do it so positively.lol

Hockey needs everyone to be like those guys.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I like Button, but damn he just loves everyone so much it makes my head spin.lol

I like that about him. Once took a Calgary to Toronto flight sitting next to him as he was going the the Memorial Cup in Windsor. His phone was going 90 and he was trying to kinda hide texting so I told him that I honestly don't give a flying #$%# so don't worry about it.lol

The guy is 100% class and no one can tell me different. And a sharp dresser. He's kinda like Loubourdias and just happy to be a part of it. Never a bad word about anyone or thing.

I think he's a good judge of talent, but development ruins so many players.

Is Wright going to be the next one?

Hard to say the way they jerked him around to start.

Slapkowsky?  No idea.  Playing with MTL can turn you into a Smurf.

I do think CGY uses his rankings more than others do.

I sometimes think he spends too much time in Canada.

But then again, that's where he is.

U18 and U20 as supplemental info.

I wonder if you watch more hockey than he does.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he's a good judge of talent, but development ruins so many players.

Is Wright going to be the next one?

Hard to say the way they jerked him around to start.

Slapkowsky?  No idea.  Playing with MTL can turn you into a Smurf.

I do think CGY uses his rankings more than others do.

I sometimes think he spends too much time in Canada.

But then again, that's where he is.

U18 and U20 as supplemental info.

I wonder if you watch more hockey than he does.

I don't hold a candle to his CHL knowledge. I'm very OHL-centric. I watched the dub quite a bit when I was in Calgary but no longer.

I'm pretty Michigan knowledgeable and try to keep up with Minny. Both are the best hockey development states. It's much easier to follow Michigan though being on the border.

I'll say right now that I'm not as high on Fantilli at 2oa. Luke Hughes though...damn NJ is getting a killer dman.

Oh, in case everyone forgot about Ryan McAllister's insane season with the Brooks Bandits last year, he's currently tied for the point lead with Jason Polin for 5th ranked W. Michigan as a freshman. They're tied for 7th in NCAA pts, He's 1st in assists, 2 ahead of Logan Cooley. Tied for 11th in ppg.

36 games; 11g/34a/45pts.

There's going to be demand. He's slick as a playmaker. Excellent passer as the assists show.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:22 PM, conundrumed said:

I also go with Button and McKenzie, but as a starting point. 

I don't actually know that any one person has time to properly scout everyone, it's more that these guys have a high level sense and are surrounded by the right people to put the right lists together.

I like to overlay that with statistical outliers, specifically guys that show signs of elevating the level of their game, particularly in playoffs.

Most importantly though, twitter.   Twitter is how fact is separated from fiction

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I also go with Button and McKenzie, but as a starting point. 

I don't actually know that any one person has time to properly scout everyone, it's more that these guys have a high level sense and are surrounded by the right people to put the right lists together.

I like to overlay that with statistical outliers, specifically guys that show signs of elevating the level of their game, particularly in playoffs.

Most importantly though, twitter.   Twitter is how fact is separated from fiction

Those guys have a dozen scouts that are their guys and it's their full-time jobs. If you've ever been around a pack of scouts, you leave unimpressed with a large majority of them. It's pretty annoying watching them hobnob together. There is zero wonder why there is always consensus a handfuls of players that slip away.

They're all so busy being a member of the consortium of common opinion it's a wonder anyone would find that diamond in the rough.

Take the Sting for example. My friends are beside themselves that Marco Sikic is my fave player. The Sting are loaded with point machines that he isn't one of. But he is the mistake-free big RWer that plays a very calm, smart game. You know what you get every shift. Banging, no retaliation, shots hit the net, smart passes, no turnovers.

I love that in players. Sure Del Bel Belluz got the hatty, he never passes, and missed the net by 3' 6 times that got odd man rushes going the other way.

I also like to look at prospects fortunes in life to assess. That brings me to an uneasy feeling about Fantilli. He's had massive talents around him always. His USHL days were with a completely stacked Chicago Steel team. His U of M days are with completely stacked teams. He's definitely not doing it alone as opposed to Bedard.

I always struggle with where to give credit when teams are stacked. I get U of M games on the regular so I do watch him. He's getting tons of spotlight so I feel for him that way. I feel like the hype is way too heavy so he's over-extending himself to match it. He's a solid top 5 for sure, but the stacked teams need to be taken into account.

I wouldn't expect him to be an NHLer next year, so I worry about the expectation.

• Like 1

I should add as opposed to Beniers at the U of M. There's a sizeable difference between the 2.

Looking forward to a playoff-laden wkend in lots of leagues overseas and the NCAA. I wish Sergachev could be UConn's starter, but it's playoffs, so likely not.

But they do have Matt Wood whom I'd like to see.

I like this site to stay NCAA stealthy.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/icehockey-men/d1/2023

The USHL's site is really good too, and the Flo site has good write-ups in the affiliate link.

https://ushl.com/sports/2023/1/27/GEN_0127234708.aspx

NCAA streams are top shelf, USHL is about 60-40 hit and miss for me.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:45 AM, conundrumed said:

They're in Sarnia Sunday afternoon so I'll pay attention. He definitely came from a good devt background I see.

Will be another crazy packed house. Nice to watch a really good OHL team for a change.

I'll see how good he is at picking pucks out of his net.lol

What did you think of Brzustewicz? Looked like he ended up on the scoresheet.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What did you think of Brzustewicz? Looked like he ended up on the scoresheet.

Walked in from the point and sniped a wrister from top of the circle and I believe he had an assist. Nothing really stood out to me in his game. He's a puck-moving Dman so he's a good passer and joins the rush but avg skater/defender.

Kitchener was on their 3rd game in 2.5 days so there's that.

I think this draft will be a challenge after about the top 10 picks. Then it's looking like total toss-ups for the next 30 odd.

I'm not sure this is the draft to focus on Dmen. I'd rank Brzustewicz likely around 10th for dmen, and likely a 2nd rder.

I don't think this draft really has a lot of depth personally. Just high end guys up front.

If Michkov is the big faller, just take him. You'll be spending 3 years of dev on anyone else regardless.

If not, I'm currently in the Matthew Wood camp around where we'll be picking. Only Pellikka or Reinbacher as dmen. I think our farm is pretty much weak all over so position doesn't matter much.

Not sure is this is the right place, but Sergeev's and UConn's season is over after a 2-1 loss to UMass Lowell.

Watched the game. Sergeev started and 2-1st period goal's killed them. Not much chance on the first one, second was a squeaker. Shots ended up 41-15 UConn and they totally deserved a better fate. Matthew Wood for UConn I wish I could watch more. Skating needs work but everything else is pretty high end for a 6'3"RW. Excellent shot and good hands.

Good vid:

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Saw this image and thought I'd share. The State of Hockey.

This is from Minnesota's High School Hockey Tournament.

Insanity. Saw one person's comment that if their team makes it, their town is a ghost town.

Now I wanna go, lol. This is epic support.

2015_Boys_AA_Championship_game_at_the_Xc

Bartman should move the Coyotes there.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Insanity. Saw one person's comment that if their team makes it, their town is a ghost town.

Yeah that tournament is huge, there is even a YouTube channel just dedicated to the Flow’s at the tournament lol.

• Like 1

"Flowchella" bwahaha, that's priceless. I spent a few months working around the state in around 2000. Mullet's per capita are on the high side. Love the people though, had a great time. I think they secretly wanna be Cdn. How many asked me to pronounce things like South Park was funny. They were kinda disappointed. Then you bring up the movie Fargo, which is pretty accurate, and they get outright offended.lol

That's N. Minny, Bemidji, Grand Rapids etc. Toured all over though. Great experience, never a dull moment.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Bartman should move the Coyotes there.

The college battles between Minny and Michigan are epic. #4 ranked Michigan vs #1 Minnesota in the Big Ten final next week. Minnesota State vs N. Michigan in the CCHA final. Sad WMU lost out in the NCHC though. McAllister's team.

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The college battles between Minny and Michigan are epic. #4 ranked Michigan vs #1 Minnesota in the Big Ten final next week. Minnesota State vs N. Michigan in the CCHA final. Sad WMU lost out in the NCHC though. McAllister's team.

I think that Minny is an under represented hockey market.  Leafs market?  Big deal, it's like the Oscars after parties.

People want to be seen.  Huge city.  Fans spread out across Canada.  And yet there are 2 teams in the province.

2 in Alberta, and the only reason they show up in EDM is McD.  Used to just be entertainment.  Now they think they have a contender.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Wild is what you get when you have undying love for a team, much like a Calgary, Vancouver and so on.