2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Lol.    you guys are funny.

I need to think about this one overnight to figure out if I like it or hate it.

There was a lot of available skill.  I wish we had more picks, that I will say.

1.  He's an older player.  Do I mind?  It's a factor, but not really.  The younger players aren't growing to 6'5 no matter how many extra months they have.

2.   His play and ranking fell off this year.   This is normally a red flag for me.  But the injury was pretty serious.

3.   The injury:  Guys who drop due to injury are often diamonds.   This could very well be the case.

4.  He has skill and size.  Points and goals-wise, he actually wasn't much different than Benson.  As an example.

Had his play not dropped off, it would have been hard to pick between the two.

There are easily 10 high-skill guys I would have liked to have.  But, at least, this pick is not off-the board.  It's close.

The Flames did not take advantage of higher ranked players who fell to them.  Which was the obvious move. So I need to process that.

On...the other hand....And this is really all we have to work with right now...

If he needs more time to recover from his injury and regains his trajectory next year:

Then we essentially got a high top-ten pick.  

Let's see Conroy Wheel and deal now.

• Like 1

I'll have to go back and rewatch Honzek,  but he was someone I wasn't that high on.

One thing that was pointed out to me, most European kids take a while to adjust to the North American game, Honzek didn't. Be interested to see how he plays for the Giants this fall. He's a year away from being pro eligible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

There’s only 2 jobs in the world where you can be wrong 80% of the time and not get fired. 

1. Weather man/woman

2. Calgary Flames scout 

😂

Go find the 2016 draft thread and all the people disappointed we picked Tkachuk over Alex Nylander.  We're not the best people to judge really this board is full of takes that age poorly.

• Like 2

There has to be something we are missing. I sure hope this kid turns out as high as they had him. What will be absolutely depressing is if Conroy doesn't trade off the Hanifin for a draft pick in the 1st, So far this has been pure underwhelming as far as making the club better.

• Like 1

I imagine this is what sitting in on scout meetings is like 😎🤣

If it makes any difference, he was out pick on a large number of mock drafts I saw ..  yes I know some players dropped but it was pretty consistent across the board ..so he definitely wasn't a reach 

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I guess the biggest worry about cuts is nerve damage.  It would affect his skating forever.

I would imagine they did a full research on his recoveries ..

Maybe we learned from our Mason McDonald debacle ..we passed on Demko because of hip surgeries even tho doctors said he was going to fully recover 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I would imagine they did a full research on his recoveries ..

Maybe we learned from our Mason McDonald debacle ..we passed on Demko because of hip surgeries even tho doctors said he was going to fully recover 

Yes hope so.  

Honzek was a reach but only slightly.  He was often ranked 18 to 25.  But this draft is so deep that the separation isn't big.  And Honzek's size makes him a for-sure NHLer.  I think the floor is high and now we will see how high the ceiling is.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Yes hope so.  

Honzek was a reach but only slightly.  He was often ranked 18 to 25.  But this draft is so deep that the separation isn't big.  And Honzek's size makes him a for-sure NHLer.  I think the floor is high and now we will see how high the ceiling is.

I hear ya but like I said I saw a lot of mock drafts as recently as yesterday that had him as our pick ...

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I hear ya but like I said I saw a lot of mock drafts as recently as yesterday that had him as our pick ...

Yeah he was actually mocked to the Flames a handful of times.

Will be fun to track as VAN will be losing Lysell next year. He will be the guy.