2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

.  We will come back with the same team minus Monahan, Zadorov, and Gudbranson and will have to rely on the kids from the farm to save the day.

If we lose both Zadorov and Gudbranson I think we are in deep trouble, those 2 were a big part of of the Flames having one of the best defense.

7 minutes ago, taz89 said:

If we lose both Zadorov and Gudbranson I think we are in deep trouble, those 2 were a big part of of the Flames having one of the best defense.

i think Gubby stays .. hes not after the big payday anymore.. hes finally found a fit . I think he'll be open to a team friendly deal to stay ..and if Lucic leaves we need him that much more 

Zadorov is getting a raise.. so unfortunately i dont see us being able to do that 

5 minutes ago, taz89 said:

Not only that but some don't want Ritchie back.  And if Lucic is a cap casualty, then Tanev and Tkachuk are our default tough guys.

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

i think Gubby stays .. hes not after the big payday anymore.. hes finally found a fit . I think he'll be open to a team friendly deal to stay ..and if Lucic leaves we need him that much more 

Zadorov is getting a raise.. so unfortunately i dont see us being able to do that 

I've gotta think he could get $1.9-mil X 3 somewhere (even from a contending team).  Lots of demand for a 3rd pair RHS RD with size and can fight.  

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh no, I am merely suggesting it's the better path to take.  Of course we won't rebuild.  Sutter is not here for a rebuild and Gaudreau is not signing long term for a rebuild.  I'm just saying.  As we stand, we are missing pieces even with Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  So therefore if one of them leaves, then we are neither here nor there.  It's easy to say we sign someone like Forsberg and replace all of Tkachuk's numbers but reality is, Forsberg has 12+ other options before he chooses the Flames.  Rebuild is the best path to take at that point.

I know we won't do it though.

Most likely outcome is we extend both Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Mangiapane while we lose Monahan, Zadorov, and Gudbranson and then BT will sell us the idea that we're improving due to experience and maturity of our group.  There will be no splashy trades or acquisitions.  We will in all likelihood, come back with the same team more or less.

Monahan is the only player that did nothing in the playoffs.  Lucic is a waste compared to him though.

I would soonen keep Guddy and Zaddy over Lucic.

If we were able to buy out and sign Monahan for a small copntract, without getting chirped by the league, we would be in better shape.  And if Lucic retires (questionable) and went to Flames front office, we would have little cap issues we couln't work through.   

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That would tell me the Bruins have had preliminary talks with Pastrnak on a contract extension and the ask from Pastrnak is too high that they have no choice but to explore the option of trading him.  They could possibly get back a young Center to build around.  Pastrnak is RHS RW point-per-game 40-goal scorer so that is a ton of trade value.

Possible. Could be driven by Pasta. I mean the writing is on the wall for Bruins I think, it's going to take some serious GMing to keep them competitive over the next several seasons. 

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan is the only player that did nothing in the playoffs.  Lucic is a waste compared to him though.

I would soonen keep Guddy and Zaddy over Lucic.

If we were able to buy out and sign Monahan for a small copntract, without getting chirped by the league, we would be in better shape.  And if Lucic retires (questionable) and went to Flames front office, we would have little cap issues we couln't work through.   

my gut says we keep Monahan.. tho i get why he needs to move . I can see the team feeling they owe it to him , plus if he does rehab successfully he's an important piece .. if he doesnt , I dont think its  stretch to think he career might be done .. in which case he comes off the cap on LTIR anyway 

Lucic will come off the books somehow .. he wont stand in the way of any trade , unless its punishment like AZ..LOL.. Retirement is a legit option .. and hey , maybe they swing some deal to let him play his last year as a Bruin ..  either way , he's not a problem 

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Possible. Could be driven by Pasta. I mean the writing is on the wall for Bruins I think, it's going to take some serious GMing to keep them competitive over the next several seasons. 

word too is Cassidy was let go because of his rapport with young players .. so ya thats a sign a youth movement is likely in the works 

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

my gut says we keep Monahan.. tho i get why he needs to move . I can see the team feeling they owe it to him , plus if he does rehab successfully he's an important piece .. if he doesnt , I dont think its  stretch to think he career might be done .. in which case he comes off the cap on LTIR anyway 

Lucic will come off the books somehow .. he wont stand in the way of any trade , unless its punishment like AZ..LOL.. Retirement is a legit option .. and hey , maybe they swing some deal to let him play his last year as a Bruin ..  either way , he's not a problem 

We did Lucic as much favors as we could.  He got to play in the 2nd round.  His NMC was honored up to the expansion draft, and he in turn agreed to waive it.  He likes the team and the players, but he also knows his game is getting near the end.  He has nothing left to achieve, short of another cup.  That chance still exists, but may not happen during the course of his contract here.  Most of the money will go to him in July.  Playing 82 for $1M is an option, but harder for a proud player to accept.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We did Lucic as much favors as we could.  He got to play in the 2nd round.  His NMC was honored up to the expansion draft, and he in turn agreed to waive it.  He likes the team and the players, but he also knows his game is getting near the end.  He has nothing left to achieve, short of another cup.  That chance still exists, but may not happen during the course of his contract here.  Most of the money will go to him in July.  Playing 82 for $1M is an option, but harder for a proud player to accept.

If Lucic retires after receiving the bonus the bonus still goes against the cap.  I think our ownership group would prefer him making that decision before the bonus.  Bad look for the organization to be okay giving 3 million for a guy to not play, while cancelling a big project over 9 million.  I'm not optimistic as you that he's leaning towards retirement.

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

If Lucic retires after receiving the bonus the bonus still goes against the cap.  I think our ownership group would prefer him making that decision before the bonus.  Bad look for the organization to be okay giving 3 million for a guy to not play, while cancelling a big project over 9 million.  I'm not optimistic as you that he's leaning towards retirement.

Player salary, deals, buyouts have nothing to do with the arena project.

I'm not sure I agree though that his SB counts towards the cap.

Even if it did, $3M vs $5.25M cap is sizeable.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Player salary, deals, buyouts have nothing to do with the arena project.

I'm not sure I agree though that his SB counts towards the cap.

Even if it did, $3M vs $5.25M cap is sizeable.

Thought I read somewhere it did, not much precedent I don't think.

The arena comment is more about public image in the city, CSEC has taken quite a few bumps in the PR department and there isn't overwhelming support on the teams side of the whole dispute, Lucic being gone isn't going to be the difference in selling out the 10K season tickets.  

What happens with Gaudreau, influences the entire off-season IMO. That being said I doubt we have a resolution on it till the start of free agency. My guess is that he will want to explore his options without closing the door on a return to Calgary.

If he does leave, IMO a rebuild would be a best course of action though I doubt that happens.

If we do go with a rebuild, I think the player who brings back the biggest return is Lindholm. A RHS, selke nominated center, who can play on your top line, who has two years left at $4.85m. It's the value on the contract that really brings up the trade value. I think teams like Colorado or the Rangers would have legit interest in adding a guy like Lindholm and would have the young assets to pull off that tade.

Just now, JTech780 said:

What happens with Gaudreau, influences the entire off-season IMO. That being said I doubt we have a resolution on it till the start of free agency. My guess is that he will want to explore his options without closing the door on a return to Calgary.

If he does leave, IMO a rebuild would be a best course of action though I doubt that happens.

If we do go with a rebuild, I think the player who brings back the biggest return is Lindholm. A RHS, selke nominated center, who can play on your top line, who has two years left at $4.85m. It's the value on the contract that really brings up the trade value. I think teams like Colorado or the Rangers would have legit interest in adding a guy like Lindholm and would have the young assets to pull off that tade.

If hes signing here , he wants the 8th Year .. as soon as UFA opens he loses that 

I'll be very surprised if this isnt done well ahead of the draft ..

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

If hes signing here , he wants the 8th Year .. as soon as UFA opens he loses that 

I'll be very surprised if this isnt done well ahead of the draft ..

Ah Landy and Ovi went the distance last year, Brad's in a different spot as it will be all the talk for another month and a bit.

Just now, sak22 said:

Ah Landy and Ovi went the distance last year, Brad's in a different spot as it will be all the talk for another month and a bit.

they're already crunching .. and that domino has to fall before he can do anything else

If i were betting .. id expect the announcement in the downtime before the finals ( since we cant announce during the finals) 

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is getting waaaay ahead of where we are at. If he wants to explore his options, we can't just hang around and hope for the best.

But until that happens...I get this is discussion, but we need a wait and see.

Now we're trading Lindholm. Can we not just sit back for a few weeks and absorb a direction?

We're buried in "ifs".

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This is getting waaaay ahead of where we are at. If he wants to explore his options, we can't just hang around and hope for the best.

Now we're trading Lindholm. Can we not just sit back for a few weeks and absorb a direction?

We're buried in "ifs".

Oh I was just mentionng Lindholm as I think he brings back a better return than Tkachuk if we go that route. That being said everything hinges on Gaudreau. 

I also think that that 8th year is our biggest selling point now, but this is also is first and  possibly his only time as a UFA, I wouldn't be at all be surprised if he forgoes the 8th year to see what his options are.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We're buried in "ifs".

and he funny part is that most who think we have to blow it up if we lose just one of these players were saying just last year that  we cant move forward with them

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Oh I was just mentionng Lindholm as I think he brings back a better return than Tkachuk if we go that route. That being said everything hinges on Gaudreau. 

I also think that that 8th year is our biggest selling point now, but this is also is first and  possibly his only time as a UFA, I wouldn't be at all be surprised if he forgoes the 8th year to see what his options are.

I would say if he gets there , he's not signing and his rights will have already been traded at the draft 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

and he funny part is that most who think we have to blow it up if we lose just one of these players were saying just last year that  we cant move forward with them

If we lose him we spend money elsewhere.  If we keep the goals against down, and oddly played very few one goal games.  Some of those 5-2 wins become 3-2.  Don't know if the team minus Gaudreau can win it all, but could do similar to what Dallas did in '19 and '20.  

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

they're already crunching .. and that domino has to fall before he can do anything else

If i were betting .. id expect the announcement in the downtime before the finals ( since we cant announce during the finals) 

Wut is this an actual rule?  

I'm in the camp that if Johnny makes it to UFA he is gone. I think the whole draw to UFA is much more attractive to the lower/mid tier players around the league, the type of guys that it only takes 1 GM to fall in love with to overpay and get a contract they weren't thinking they would get. In Johnny's case he and his agent know what he is going to get, so I'm not really buying this whole idea that he will be drawn in by the lure of the UFA process. 

The Flames have a few unique things they can offer that other team's can't. They can offer him an 8th year (which likely means the most total $ he will get), they can offer him a legacy (his jersey is getting retired if he stays), and they can offer him a leadership role if he wants it. If he goes UFA that would tell me that those things are not of interest to him and he just wants to play somewhere else. I'm also of the belief that decision will come sooner than we think because again I'm just not buying this idea that he will want to/need to see what is out there.  

If the Flames offer him 9.5-10mil AAV on an 8 year deal another club has to give him 11-11.5 mill AAV on a 7 year deal in order to match the total dollars and personally I'm not sure there are many teams lining up to do that.