2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wasn't really an option. He's still considered injuried so you would need his permission and in addition it wouldn't have cleared the space needed to sign Kadri. 

Would a buyout window open after all the arbitration hearings are done around the league?  Or even prior to start of training camp?  Could've asked him for permission at that time?

A buyout would likely put us $3-mil over the cap by training camp... But Tanev starting the season on IR?  Maybe dump Zadorov before the season begins?

That first could've landed us something good at TDL.

I think we are still a move away, at the least.

The FA is fine for tinkering or getting a prize, but need to move out sometimes to make room.

I think BT is too fond of his new players and drafted assets to let Meloche and/or Valimaki go to the wire.

Would rather get something instead of a chance of losing for nothing.

Even if it's a low chance.

I'm not sure we need to move Hanifin for a top 6 wing, but it is there.

Valimaki for a young bottom 6 winger?  Maybe.

You have to even wonder whether Dube is on the clock.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The FA is fine for tinkering or getting a prize, but need to move out sometimes to make room.

I think BT is too fond of his new players and drafted assets to let Meloche and/or Valimaki go to the wire.

We have $2.1-mil and 21/23 spots filled.  I assume Ruzicka is one.  The other spot goes to one of Schwindt, Pospisil, or Deuhr... That should be $2-mil taken.

There's not much cap room to do anything else.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Would a buyout window open after all the arbitration hearings are done around the league?  Or even prior to start of training camp?  Could've asked him for permission at that time?

A buyout would likely put us $3-mil over the cap by training camp... But Tanev starting the season on IR?  Maybe dump Zadorov before the season begins?

I believe it opened up after our last arbitration case was settled, which was Mange, right?

Monahan was not able to be bought out.

TBH, BT is a master of the cap and buyouts, so he goes for the one that works.

If it's not there, it's not even mentioned.

If it is, you see blogs about it.

Too bad we had Feaster way back when.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could've, but would it make financial sense for him, he'd lose 2 million from a buyout very doubtful he'd make that as a free agent.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The 2nd buyout window is only open for 48 hours and it based on when the team's arb cases are over not the leagues. So for the Flames it's already closed and no more buyouts are allowed for the rest of the off-season. Flames could have asked but i see no reason why Monahan would say yes. 

Tanev is expected to be healthy to start and even if he wasn't putting on LTIR for a short period of time doesn't solve anything. Still would have needed to get cap compliant and dumping someone you just signed to a 2 year deal if a pretty low blow move for an organization. 

it sucks to lose the first but this was the only way they were getting Kadri. 

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We have $2.1-mil and 21/23 spots filled.  I assume Ruzicka is one.  The other spot goes to one of Schwindt, Pospisil, or Deuhr... That should be $2-mil taken.

There's not much cap room to do anything else.

That includes Pelletier and Ruzie as the 13th leaving about a million.

But we are using 1.5 on Valimaki.

Or we are subtracting Hanifin from the cap,

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Matthew and Johnny leaving could have been the cataylst Tre required. He just trade or we lost, Monhan, Mathew, Bennett, and JG.... that was pretty much all the core gone, however we actually shorter look better because of it. Sometimes the darkest moments can turn into the brights lights. So does he know move Valimaiki to make room for Rodriguies, another trade. I am sorry you can 't push this to the very end and than leave it. He is as close as we can get right now with just a couple or 1 key winger away from being serious contenders on paper anyway

I know many are penciling in Pelletier into the lineup but I will actually be surprised if that happens. Sutter's already made comments he felt Dube was here too soon so I'd be surprised if he is pro Pelletier on the team. 

I think another forward is coming in. 

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

Matthew and Johnny leaving could have been the cataylst Tre required. He just trade or we lost, Monhan, Mathew, Bennett, and JG.... that was pretty much all the core gone, however we actually shorter look better because of it. Sometimes the darkest moments can turn into the brights lights. So does he know move Valimaiki to make room for Rodriguies, another trade. I am sorry you can 't push this to the very end and than leave it. He is as close as we can get right now with just a couple or 1 key winger away from being serious contenders on paper anyway

Valimaki is excess at one position.

Dube trade and signing Rodrigues would be a neutral trade with whatever Dube brought back being the value.

Plus the saved cap.

I'm not saying ER is the solution or Dube is a problem, but the moves make some sense.

Lack of RHS.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Rodrigues would fit perfectly, RHS can play C/RW, should cost around $2m or less.

You me both.  I think it would need a player going out t make it work.

Valimaki fits the bill.

Unfortunate.

Maybe it's not needed, but you have to think it makes the most sense.

This is a big signing. In the immediacy, it gives the Flames very good C depth. Something the Flames have been searching a long time for. 

Still some interesting roster moves to take place. The D and Ruzicka. Wouldn't surprise me if Rooney and Ruzicka are in a timeshare of that 4th line C role. 

The Flames still have a bit of flexibility. It would be nice to see Pelletier force his way into the lineup, but I think the Flames would still like to add one more forward. I wonder if 1.5-1.75 could entice Rodrigues. He's getting close to PTO territory. There's bound to be more attrition this year than last so I have no doubt we'll see Pelletier this season.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Coleman-Kadri-Toffoli

Dube-Backlund-Rodrigues

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ruzicka

I think Sutter will start with balanced D pairs, whichever pair is playing well will play the most

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Weegar

Kylington-Tanev

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know many are penciling in Pelletier into the lineup but I will actually be surprised if that happens. Sutter's already made comments he felt Dube was here too soon so I'd be surprised if he is pro Pelletier on the team. 

I think another forward is coming in. 

Pelletier could do well with one more AHL season.  He's not a big guy so he needs to make sure he muscles up and he's physically ready.  Better to do that in the AHL.

But it's going to be hard with no cap space... Maybe Pospisil is ready instead of Pelletier.  Schwindt should be front runner due to RHS C.  And Duehr has a low 4th line ceiling anyways so might as well rush him to the NHL to play 4th line.