2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That last part sounds funny coming from a guy that supported Hanifin over Kylington.

But I get the logic in it.

I think we have seen Hanifin's peak.

We may see improvement or digression from Kylington.

I don't think the value of Hanifin over Kylington justifies spending that much on 6D.

If he's a trade chip, use him to get something top 6.

It's not a cap dump.

Hanifin offers value for his salary, and like Chychrun should be worth something on the market.

Lower cost, high offense.

I think he means more as a trade piece.  Hanifin has value most likely where as Kylington is moderate.  I also think given the Nurse-Jones deals you have to factor what Hanifin's could look like in 2 years and knowing his holes that is probably something you don't want to look into.  Kylington would need to be able to play in all situations before I would consider him the better player.

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

think you need to take a look at the market. Morgan Reily commanded 7.5, Lindholm 6.5,  the Nurse deal, Seth Jones. Heck I don’t think even think Sergachev is elite and they just paid him over 8 mill per. 

I can understand the hesitation around Wergar if you haven’t seen him play. He’s quite a bit better than Brodie(and this is from someone who loved Brodie) and is imo the flames number one dman right now, not even close. 

But if you want to get a player like him you’ll be paying a lot for it. 

if it were me I’d lock up Weegar, pair him with Anderson and then explore trading Hanifin. 

Yup. We have our hands on him right now. Get this guy signed. I am a Calgary-Detroit fan with FLA being my 3rd.

Zito has been a great mgr. Holy, when he screws up, he really screws up. Get Weegar done and this is flat out rape and pillage by the Flames. I wonder how many times BT said, "for who"?

Both Huberdeau and Weegar at massive rebates this year.

Escalating cap, what a frigging opportunity that has fallen into our laps. 2 of their 4 top players. Wow.

Weegar is a bidding war in UFA. Let's avoid it.

Great dman. Get this done, I'll order both Flames jerseys.

I could not be happier.

Guessing JG's reaction to what we got from Tkachuk...."ohhhhh Satoshi Nakamoto".lol

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. We have our hands on him right now. Get this guy signed. I am a Calgary-Detroit fan with FLA being my 3rd.

Zito has been a great mgr. Holy, when he screws up, he really screws up. Get Weegar done and this is flat out rape and pillage by the Flames. I wonder how many times BT said, "for who"?

Both Huberdeau and Weegar at massive rebates this year.

Escalating cap, what a frigging opportunity that has fallen into our laps. 2 of their 4 top players. Wow.

Weegar is a bidding war in UFA. Let's avoid it.

Great dman. Get this done, I'll order both Flames jerseys.

I could not be happier.

Guessing JG's reaction to what we got from Tkachuk...."ohhhhh Satoshi Nakamoto".lol

I;m pretty sure the first thing Bennett said to Tkachuk was " gee thanks.."

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

With sarcasm?

complete..LOL  just go check Benny's stats after the trade deadline.. thats when Giroux bumped Bennett down a line..  Benny of old .. I remember it well cuz I had Bennett in my pool LOL

trying to jog my memory too.. didnt Bennett play with Chucky a lot here ?

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That last part sounds funny coming from a guy that supported Hanifin over Kylington.

But I get the logic in it.

I think we have seen Hanifin's peak.

We may see improvement or digression from Kylington.

I don't think the value of Hanifin over Kylington justifies spending that much on 6D.

If he's a trade chip, use him to get something top 6.

It's not a cap dump.

Hanifin offers value for his salary, and like Chychrun should be worth something on the market.

Lower cost, high offense.

it’s not really a Hanifin vs Kylington thing it’s just asset management. Hanifin is a good player but we’ve seen what he is and he is also ufa in 2 years. The D market is pretty insane and I don’t think we’re gonna like what it will cost to retain him. 
flames could create a top pair in Weegar-Anderson and they’d be locked up for a while. The flames have some younger LS options they could develop and keep using Tanev to support. 

Im not giving Hanifin away. I think you use him to see if you can find a young top 6 center. 

22 minutes ago, zima said:

As usual I only read with have my brain  I thought is was the last 2 yrs NMC my bad as usual .

No worries. Don't be hard on yourself:)

We have Jonathan Blockchaining Huberdeau. Happy days ahead.

Perfect Sutter player coming from Quenneville as a coach. This will be awesome.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

No worries. Don't be hard on yourself:)

We have Jonathan Blockchaining Huberdeau. Happy days ahead.

Perfect Sutter player coming from Quenneville as a coach. This will be awesome.

To be fair Sutter will have to teach him defense ..but if he can take Johnny to another level that way then this guy shouid be a breeze 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

To be fair Sutter will have to teach him defense ..but if he can take Johnny to another level that way then this guy shouid be a breeze 

Not sure about that. Sutter wants pace, Huberdeau oozes it. He PK's as well. Consider his linemates 5v5, it wasn't Barkov. Do you want an O-driver or yet another 200' guy?

Typical Huberdeau interview, dude is intense.

Do we ALWAYS have to give Eric Francis the 1st question? JFC.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure about that. Sutter wants pace, Huberdeau oozes it. He PK's as well. Consider his linemates 5v5, it wasn't Barkov. Do you want an O-driver or yet another 200' guy?

Oh he has the tools to excel at it ..it's just never been asked of him.. he actually sounded excited to learn lol.. he just did pk for the very first time last year .

If we learned one thing last year it's that playing 200ft and forechecking hard doesn't hurt your offense..it improves it 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

it’s not really a Hanifin vs Kylington thing it’s just asset management. Hanifin is a good player but we’ve seen what he is and he is also ufa in 2 years. The D market is pretty insane and I don’t think we’re gonna like what it will cost to retain him. 
flames could create a top pair in Weegar-Anderson and they’d be locked up for a while. The flames have some younger LS options they could develop and keep using Tanev to support. 

Im not giving Hanifin away. I think you use him to see if you can find a young top 6 center. 

Same here.  I just found it funny.

There were some that suggested he's untradeable, meaning we can't afford top lose him.

I'm in the balance out the team when you have assets that can help mode.

And yes the UFA part is concerning.

Especially if you lock up Weegar, you have some expectations.

Don't mind Ras costing more, if he earns it.

RD are worth a lot.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

And it’s that exact intensity that I feel his 8 year deal will be fine…those types can play on sure will

power…

Further, that intensity is exactly what Cgy needs…and one more like him and this team is set…well providing they lock up Weegar.

I’m perfectly fine with trading Hanifin if it nabs us a top level RW…only cause our D depth is pretty solid…may not have a stud D but I kinda like the fact that it’s well balanced and overall above average through 3 pairings…even if we move Hanifin…to be quite honest I think the depth balance will harder to play against than having one stud D…with Sutter, you don’t need the stud D anyhow, all he needs is tough mobile D and Sutter can take it from there 

7 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’m perfectly fine with trading Hanifin if it nabs us a top level RW…only cause our D depth is pretty solid…may not have a stud D but I kinda like the fact that it’s well balanced and overall above average through 3 pairings…even if we move Hanifin…to be quite honest I think the depth balance will harder to play against than having one stud D…with Sutter, you don’t need the stud D anyhow, all he needs is tough mobile D and Sutter can take it from there 

I would be happier with a top 6C.  At worst, we should be able to get a solid 3C, one stuck in the depth due to others playing above them.  Necas appears to be close to signing in CAR, but what a waste; 4th line RW.  If that's all they are gonna do, we could send Valimaki and Dube for him.  

Or we do Valimaki for Roy.  And save Hanifin for another deal.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I would be happier with a top 6C.  At worst, we should be able to get a solid 3C, one stuck in the depth due to others playing above them.  Necas appears to be close to signing in CAR, but what a waste; 4th line RW.  If that's all they are gonna do, we could send Valimaki and Dube for him.  

While another top 3 Ctr would be nice, it’s not as needed as a top 2 RW..Manji is not a RW…He’s been tried at RW a few times and he’s not done as well on the R side..

also I’d like to see some depth throughout the lineup and RW is very thin 

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think what I always keep in mind that Bennett looked great with Huberdeau. Without Huberdeau he was back to normal.

So I'm sure Sutter is really going to think his way through who Huberdeau actually needs to be successful by watching endless vid of Huberdeau's past linemates.

I'm just not sure Huberdeau needs Lindholm to be successful.

Although it's the obvious answer, is it the right one?

Mangia-Lindholm-Toffoli

Huberdeau-Backs-Dube

Pelletier-Mony-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ruzicka, Phillips

Only for example if we want 2 O lines.

Just looking at what we have rn. I really want to see how Huberdeau can elevate Dube as he's done with many others. But that top 6 really shows a boost at RW would sure help. The need for a C is reliant on Mony, Dube and Ruzicka.

We can't afford all 3 stagnating, they can be big pieces to this puzzle.

Huberdeau-Barkov only really hooked up 5v5 when FLA needed to make Satoshi Nakamoto happen.

Times like now a Sam Reinhart-type would be fantastic.

Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that Sutter loves Hanifin so altogether uncertain that he'll be moved.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I think what I always keep in mind that Bennett looked great with Huberdeau. Without Huberdeau he was back to normal.

So I'm sure Sutter is really going to think his way through who Huberdeau actually needs to be successful by watching endless vid of Huberdeau's past linemates.

Mangia-Lindholm-Toffoli

Huberdeau-Backs-Dube

Pelletier-Mony-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ruzicka, Phillips

Just looking at what we have rn. I really want to see how Huberdeau can elevate Dube as he's done with many others. But that top 6 really shows a boost at RW would sure help. The need for a C is reliant on Mony, Dube and Ruzicka.

Huberdeau-Barkov only really hooked up 5v5 when FLA needed to make Satoshi Nakamoto happen.

Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that Sutter loves Hanifin so altogether uncertain that he'll be moved.

Knowing Sutter..expect the unexpected

Speaking of the Sams... In the 5-10 minutes or so between hearing Tkachuk was going to Florida and then hearing the return ..  hands up who else thought Bennett was coming back? Lol

I wonder now that we have Huberdeau locked up if we could entice PLD to come to Calgary rather than seeking a trade to Montreal. It’s gonna cost us though. I was playing with the numbers on cap friendly. We would need to include Monahan in the deal for numbers to work. I was thinking Mony, Phillips, Mackey, Coronato and (2) 1sts which is painful but adding a young center like PLD could be worth it rather than someone like Kadri.

Also I’m gonna beat to death Valimaki for Roy in Vegas

Two scoring Lines of

huberdeau-pld-toffee

mang-Lindy-roy

then a shutdown line

dube-backs-coles

then you have two options on the fourth

heavy line Looch-Ruzie/Rooney-lewis

speed and energy Pelltier-Ruzie-rooney

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Mangia-Lindholm-Toffoli

Huberdeau-Backs-Dube

Pelletier-Mony-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ruzicka, Phillips

Dude, what happened to youor Avatar?  Mine was removing the mouthguard muncher, so it's temp.

I wonder how much the decisions BT is considerng the possible lines right now and talking about the needs.  The initial adds like Rooney and Meloche were reactions to losing a couple of guys on day 1 of FA.  Now that we added a top winger and D, there has to be a little discussion.  Last year we added the likes of Guddy, considered moving Monahan, added Vladar.

Sutter is hard to read.  AT times I thought he was using Hanifin because he had no choice.  For sure he has an opinion on Vali and Mackey.