2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm typically loathe to do anything that would solve any of the Oilers problems, but I think he's worth the gamble ..

My initial thought was , unless Smith actually does retire..they don't have the funds to go after a Husso or a Campbell.. but Vladar could be an enticing carrot .

He seems start ready ..I'm hesitant cuz I think as a starter he could be really good ..  but we got Wolf who as a backup could certainly be ready .that Russian kid in the us league looking like a real deal as well..

And Vladar has one year left under $1M.. when Smith comes off their books .. 

The heck with that.  We aren't giving them any goalies.  Been there, done that with Brossoit.  I can stomach trading a F for Pooly, but I wouldn't even give them Kylington.  Not that he helps that tire fire defense.  

I don't see Husso making it to FA.  He failed a bit in the 2nd round, but wasn't the reason they lost the series.  Not entirely.  That's a tough gig to fill.  He's coming off a league minimum contract, so there isn't a good reason why he trots to FA.  STL will pay him.  

We have to consider Wolf a longer term project and at best an emergency call up.  Vladar is capable as a backup and signed.  No need to trade him away.  He is already looking like a guy with starter confidece.  Still raw and needs more games.  

Back to Pooly.  We aren't helping them out at all unless we send back a prospect or pick.  That really doesn't work for us.  We can't send them a D because that doesn't help them enough.  It would need to be Valimaki and I'm not quite ready to give up on him.  So that really just leaves Dube which is a versatile winger/C for a guy that plays one position.

Really I don't know how Holland handles the off-season.  Smith retiring helps him go after a goalie, but he's going to have to pay for a starter.  He's going to have to include a pick to move Kassian.  Or buy him out, which is a reasonable cap hit of $667k this year and $1.8M next year.  But 4 years is gross.  Foegele did squat, so he has little value.  Maybe move Nuge, but he has a full NMC.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya there are some rumors LA wants to take the next step into contender status as soon as next season.  They will be willing to use Turcotte, Vilardi, Durzi, their 19thOA pick, and even Byfield (if the return is worth it).  They want to use those mentioned to be in on Chychrun.  IF they can get Chychrun, Doughty comes back healthy, Brandt Clarke makes his NHL debut, Durzi takes yet another step forward, they bring back Maatta... suddenly the Kings D is one of the best in the NHL.

BOS has been in Kirby Dach rumours... Why not use Pastrnak to get it done if BOS wants to rebuild?  And no idea what the Blackhawks are doing.  They are the most bi-polar team right now.

LA is in a spot where they've got more prospects than roster spots. It would make a lot of sense for them to make a splashy deal. Better to move out some prospects before the shine comes off.

I could also see them signing Forsberg though. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I'd see the fit here.. right price is the key words of course .. with Tanev out and the shuffling, we got caught not fast enough on d .. he does bring some speed and good puck handling 

He played a good d structure in Nashville so don't see why he wouldn't be used properly under Sutter 

Fair enough.  Tanev might be out until November.  Under $2-mil x 1-year, Subban is serviceable as a 3rd pair D.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

LA is in a spot where they've got more prospects than roster spots. It would make a lot of sense for them to make a splashy deal. Better to move out some prospects before the shine comes off.

I could also see them signing Forsberg though. 

LA is in great shape.  Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick are still productive.  If they are trying to win one more time before those three complete fade away, then they only have two or three years.  Quick is 1-year to UFA.  They could also choose to take their time because Byfield and Clarke are their next Kopitar and Doughty.  They will have a legit Cup window opening as soon as those two kids reach their prime years.

I have been quiet on here for a while. I must say that there is some interesting discussion, but also stuff I don’t agree with.

One thing that I a notice is a lot of pipe dreams that miss out on the reality of doing business, running a team, etc. with saying “do this and figure out the rest later”. This neither works in business, hockey or personal life. You can’t just make an average salary and choose to buy a Ferrari by saying, I will figure the money side of it later. Don’t forget insurance, gas, license plates, somewhere to keep it safe, house cost, food….

The Flames currently have committed 55,575,000 towards the cap. This is committed to 12 players. CapFriendly shows a cap limit of 82,500,000 so the Flames have just under 27,000,000 to split between 11 players. That can go up to 28,500,000 if Valimaki goes back to AHL.

Flames have 3 of their top 4 offensive players needing new contracts in Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Also 1 top 4 D man, 3 bottom 6 forwards and 3 6/7/8 D.

I keep seeing people talking about how Valimaki is ready to step into top 4 D, even though he hasn’t actually shown that. With Stockton, one of the most offensive teams in the AHL, he had 2 goals and 18 points in 35 games with a +1 rating. In 6 playoff games he had 1 assist and a even rating to this point. Not exactly taking the league by storm. He was cut from the big team because he wasn’t doing enough to stick. I simply do not see how he is still the heir apparent at this time. That doesn’t mean he won’t make the NHL and be good, I just don’t see him currently taking a spot from any of the top 4.

Kylington had better offensive stats in the AHL than Valimaki on a less potent team, and depending on the season had similar D stats. He had much better stats playing in the NHL with 9 goals and 31 points with +34. In playoffs 1 goal, 3 points and +5. Kylington is due a solid raise, though as RFA, he may get a show me the consistency contract. 1 year x 2 million.

I don’t think Jarnkrok really had enough time to gel, nor had the correct line mates for his style. The Family/town connection with him, Lindholm and Markstrom cannot be denied. I would not be surprised to see him back at a discount for this reason. 2 year x 2 million. 

I think Gudbranson comes back. Likely tired of moving and his role is defined here. More term likely brings back lower $$, especially with modified NMC. Get the cap under 2.5 per using term of 4-5 years 3,3,2.5,2,2 takes him to 35 knowing he isn’t moving again for a while.

Zadorov likely a different situation. I don’t think he takes the same discount so he is likely gone. I think Valimaki fits well here on the third line with Gudbranson. Similar to Tanev with Kylington, it gives a stable vet to teach him what it takes to be a regular, while covering to let him learn from mistakes.

With Tanev out, I bring back Stone at league minimum. It is hard to beat Stone as a 7 D man. He can hold the fort until Tanev is healthy.

Hanifin and Andersson play well together. Still both young at only 25 and they are both improving. Would it be nice to get an upgrade? Sure. But at what cost? Hanifin 10 goals, 48 points +27 regular season. Torched by the oilers in playoffs. Chychrun played half season, 7 goals, 21 points -20. Some will say “ya but Arizona”. Salary is only 350 difference, same length and Hanifin costs no assets to acquire. Chychrun would be expensive in assets. No UFA D in the same category. Leddy from St loo is closest offensively but -30 and 6 years older and likely higher cap hit.

While Lewis and Ritchie are good foot soldiers in the trenches, they just don’t bring what the team needs to compete with the speed of guys like McDavid, Bennett, MacKinnon and many of the young up and comers. They don’t really bring toughness either because Ritchie is rarely on the ice and rarely does anything when he is. Nothing against either of them, just not the type of players that change the game. Rather have a young guy to bring energy than just grind the boards. Walker Duehr maybe.

Issue with Mangiapane and Toffoli is that they are both shooters. We have seen how it works when C and wing are both shooters with a pass first wing (top line) but we do not have a playmaker C who can distribute the puck to both Mange and Toffee. They need to be split onto different lines to work better. Mange did better before playing with Toff since he was the only shooter. Maybe try Mange with Jarnkrok and Coleman who are both more balanced grinders. 

I think Backlund and Toffoli could work together if they had a more playmaker LW. D responsibility but with a passer and shooter would be an upgrade. Give Pelletier a shot here? Maybe a smaller line, but more balanced.

I appreciate Dube but think he is the odd man out. Not the right passer for Toffoli, not hard enough on the boards, needs space to skate. I see him similar to Bennett as playing in the east where it is more open would be better for him. I also see Monahan being moved for cap reasons.

At 34 I don’t see Lucic retiring unless his body is more broken than appears. Without salary retention, I don’t see other teams taking him without sending bad salary back. 

With so much movement, it is difficult to see Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Mangiapane all back without some big moves. Unless the team can move Dube, Monahan and likely someone else, there simply won’t be enough cap space for the 3. 

Rumour is that Dubois wants to play in a bigger market. Would the Flames count? Could PLD at C, move Backlund and fill RW be enough for letting Tkachuk go? Salary cap reasons only, not wanting to lose / trade him but sacrifices may be needed.

Gaudreau / Lindholm / Toffoli

Mangiapane / Dubois / xx

Pelletier / Jarnkrok / Coleman 

Duehr / Ruzicka / Lucic

or

Gaudreau / Lindholm/ Tkachuk 

Pelletier / Dubois / Toffoli 

?? / Ruzicka / Coleman 

Duehr / Jarnkrok / Lucic

Or something like that. Not sure, just thinking things through.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I have been quiet on here for a while. I must say that there is some interesting discussion, but also stuff I don’t agree with.

One thing that I a notice is a lot of pipe dreams that miss out on the reality of doing business, running a team, etc. with saying “do this and figure out the rest later”. This neither works in business, hockey or personal life. You can’t just make an average salary and choose to buy a Ferrari by saying, I will figure the money side of it later. Don’t forget insurance, gas, license plates, somewhere to keep it safe, house cost, food….

The Flames currently have committed 55,575,000 towards the cap. This is committed to 12 players. CapFriendly shows a cap limit of 82,500,000 so the Flames have just under 27,000,000 to split between 11 players. That can go up to 28,500,000 if Valimaki goes back to AHL.

Flames have 3 of their top 4 offensive players needing new contracts in Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Mangiapane. Also 1 top 4 D man, 3 bottom 6 forwards and 3 6/7/8 D.

I keep seeing people talking about how Valimaki is ready to step into top 4 D, even though he hasn’t actually shown that. With Stockton, one of the most offensive teams in the AHL, he had 2 goals and 18 points in 35 games with a +1 rating. In 6 playoff games he had 1 assist and a even rating to this point. Not exactly taking the league by storm. He was cut from the big team because he wasn’t doing enough to stick. I simply do not see how he is still the heir apparent at this time. That doesn’t mean he won’t make the NHL and be good, I just don’t see him currently taking a spot from any of the top 4.

Kylington had better offensive stats in the AHL than Valimaki on a less potent team, and depending on the season had similar D stats. He had much better stats playing in the NHL with 9 goals and 31 points with +34. In playoffs 1 goal, 3 points and +5. Kylington is due a solid raise, though as RFA, he may get a show me the consistency contract. 1 year x 2 million.

I don’t think Jarnkrok really had enough time to gel, nor had the correct line mates for his style. The Family/town connection with him, Lindholm and Markstrom cannot be denied. I would not be surprised to see him back at a discount for this reason. 2 year x 2 million. 

I think Gudbranson comes back. Likely tired of moving and his role is defined here. More term likely brings back lower $$, especially with modified NMC. Get the cap under 2.5 per using term of 4-5 years 3,3,2.5,2,2 takes him to 35 knowing he isn’t moving again for a while.

Zadorov likely a different situation. I don’t think he takes the same discount so he is likely gone. I think Valimaki fits well here on the third line with Gudbranson. Similar to Tanev with Kylington, it gives a stable vet to teach him what it takes to be a regular, while covering to let him learn from mistakes.

With Tanev out, I bring back Stone at league minimum. It is hard to beat Stone as a 7 D man. He can hold the fort until Tanev is healthy.

Hanifin and Andersson play well together. Still both young at only 25 and they are both improving. Would it be nice to get an upgrade? Sure. But at what cost? Hanifin 10 goals, 48 points +27 regular season. Torched by the oilers in playoffs. Chychrun played half season, 7 goals, 21 points -20. Some will say “ya but Arizona”. Salary is only 350 difference, same length and Hanifin costs no assets to acquire. Chychrun would be expensive in assets. No UFA D in the same category. Leddy from St loo is closest offensively but -30 and 6 years older and likely higher cap hit.

While Lewis and Ritchie are good foot soldiers in the trenches, they just don’t bring what the team needs to compete with the speed of guys like McDavid, Bennett, MacKinnon and many of the young up and comers. They don’t really bring toughness either because Ritchie is rarely on the ice and rarely does anything when he is. Nothing against either of them, just not the type of players that change the game. Rather have a young guy to bring energy than just grind the boards. Walker Duehr maybe.

Issue with Mangiapane and Toffoli is that they are both shooters. We have seen how it works when C and wing are both shooters with a pass first wing (top line) but we do not have a playmaker C who can distribute the puck to both Mange and Toffee. They need to be split onto different lines to work better. Mange did better before playing with Toff since he was the only shooter. Maybe try Mange with Jarnkrok and Coleman who are both more balanced grinders. 

I think Backlund and Toffoli could work together if they had a more playmaker LW. D responsibility but with a passer and shooter would be an upgrade. Give Pelletier a shot here? Maybe a smaller line, but more balanced.

I appreciate Dube but think he is the odd man out. Not the right passer for Toffoli, not hard enough on the boards, needs space to skate. I see him similar to Bennett as playing in the east where it is more open would be better for him. I also see Monahan being moved for cap reasons.

At 34 I don’t see Lucic retiring unless his body is more broken than appears. Without salary retention, I don’t see other teams taking him without sending bad salary back. 

With so much movement, it is difficult to see Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Mangiapane all back without some big moves. Unless the team can move Dube, Monahan and likely someone else, there simply won’t be enough cap space for the 3. 

Rumour is that Dubois wants to play in a bigger market. Would the Flames count? Could PLD at C, move Backlund and fill RW be enough for letting Tkachuk go? Salary cap reasons only, not wanting to lose / trade him but sacrifices may be needed.

Gaudreau / Lindholm / Toffoli

Mangiapane / Dubois / xx

Pelletier / Jarnkrok / Coleman 

Duehr / Ruzicka / Lucic

or

Gaudreau / Lindholm/ Tkachuk 

Pelletier / Dubois / Toffoli 

?? / Ruzicka / Coleman 

Duehr / Jarnkrok / Lucic

Or something like that. Not sure, just thinking things through.

Good to have you back Bosn111. Just wanted to respond to some of your points:

- I’m not sold on Valimaki myself and have similar arguments. He’s a trade option in my books, and I worry he’s going to continue to devalue himself the longer he stays with us. 

- I like Kyller and Jarnkrok too

- I think Gudbranson is more likely to stay as well, though I’m concerned that his physical play dropped off during playoffs. Injury? He was a settling force on the backend. 

- Re-sign Stone 100%

- Andersson is a fave of mine. Hanifin not so much. He had a great year playing with players that all had career years. His point totals are externally inflated IMO. Points aside, he irks me with some of his decision making. I understand there’s not much out there to replace him (and Chych would cost a lot) but if there was a better fit on D I would move Hanifin for it. 

- Mange and Toff are shooters for sure. Can’t play together. I disagree though that we’ll see any chemistry develop between Toff and Backlund. Toff needs a 2C to play with and Backs needs to move to 3C to excel defensively and stop this hybrid Center nonsense. 

- I find Lewis extremely valuable. Ritchie, whatever. But Lewis does a lot of good out there for us. 

- Agree on Dube. Love the kid, but maybe the runway has run out?

- I also expect Looch to be with us next year. Buyout proof, not going to be traded, won’t retire in his final year. That’s why I believe 2 big internal moves need to be made this off-season. Move Mony, and if we can get Gaudreau to sign move Chucky. 

- Dubois could be good. If there’s a desire to play here I also like the idea of UFA Trochek. If Forsberg wants to join our Swedish Mafia movement, he could be a target if and only if Chucky and his salary is moved. 

7 hours ago, zima said:

Loucifer Why would you trade MrT he is a huge part of this team and every yr he just keep getting better I don't understand why?

Hey Zima. Like I and some others have said before, it’s not that we don’t like Chucky. The issue is that Gaudreau, Chucky, and Mange all need new contracts at the same time. Gaudreau is without a doubt priority 1. If we sign Johnny, there will be less cap space to go around. And although I like Chucky’s play and “intangibles”, I don’t think what he brings is worth $9M or $10M. There are parts of his game that I don’t like. Errant passes to no one (turnovers), slow skater, doesn’t back check, disappears for games at a time. You take the bad with the good with him, but again, I think we can put that $9-$10M towards a more critical position like 2C and have cap left over to strengthen other positions. These playoffs exposed how important strength at the Center position is, and some of the wingers we do have could have much better production with the right centerman. We need 2 scoring lines and I see Chucky’s new contract preventing this team icing a more competitive (deep) lineup. 

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

That's all well and good, but what are the chances he listens to 20 offers.

He has a M-NTC for a reason, he doesn't just want to play anywhere.

And the teams that can afford him perhaps he has no interest in playing for.

Why the heck would he consider Seattle?

Doubt he even drinks coffee.

It's a loser team maybe 5 years from being close to a playoff team.

The GM may be smart, but sure hasn't shown it.

I think it's just as important to Johnny what the teams is doing for next season.

The team took a big step towards being a contender.

The results were bitter but the desire was there.

The coach got the best out of the top line possible.

Some post season issues, but that happens.

It's obvious to JH that some sacrifices are necessary.

No team can sign top players without it.

But they can't just be to lessen the team.

You trade a guy to clear cap, you pick up something else.

It can't just be internal growth.

You trade Tkachuk, the replacement better be as nasty to play against.

Dube for Puljujarvi is okay.

Buying out or trading Monahan might sting, but we have a ready replacement.

Lucic's game was exposed more in the playoffs than anyone else.

Have to do something about it.

Would like to see a playmaker for Toffoli.

Maybe it just takes Rozie between Pelletier and Toffoli.

4th line.   Uggg.

Reaves with a couple of faster guys.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Seattle would have to offer way over market price to have Johnny listen.  Like $13-mil x 7-years making him the highest cap hit in the NHL.  Otherwise, Johnny shouldn't consider the Kraken.  Like TD said, they are years away from contention.  And also, that's even farther away from home (PHI/NJ).

It just disappoints me that the Flames "need to hear an answer" soon.  When negotiations closed once the season began, both sides should've had a gentleman's agreement in place... For example, have some parameters in place.  If produce X-points then get Y-money, etc.  Get a handshake on some kind of agreement before talks end so when talks resume, both sides can review the milestones reached and the other side can't back out.

Stevie Y runs the tightest-lipped group in the league. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't jump in on Gaudreau. And it's apparent that him and Larkin are buds from the stick-stealing incident.

The 1st line was Namestnikov-Larkin-Raymond most of the season.

Insert JG and that is a heckuva line. Mickey Redmond would lose his mind.lol

They have $35mil in cap space and their needs are pretty modest considering they'll have at least 2 ELC rookies next season.

I'm a huge no to JG signing anywhere else.

If he's going to regardless, Detroit would take a little sting off of it.

They're a far cry from where Seattle's at. Very up-and-coming with lots of cap.

They can afford anyone, even 2 top UFAs if they choose.

Prime real estate for another top 6 LW and C.

2nd line:

Vrana-Giroux/Malkin-Bertuzzi? Pretty stealthy.

Already a good bottom 6 between Suter, Rasmussen, Veleno, Erne, Zadina.

Just need the D to hurry up but the pipeline is really good with Edvinsson, Johansson, Sebrango, McIsaac, Viro, Wallinder.

I don't look at Seattle as a team that is miles away as some point out.  Last year I think they were undone by their goalies playing way below their career marks and lack of scoring.  Schwartz missed most the year, Tanev missed a lot.  Beniers showed some promise when he came in late and they have another #5 pick.  On top of that the Pacific is still wide open, whereas I don't know if adding Gaudreau does much to the Devils as that division is already pretty stacked.  If he gets to FA I wouldn't count out any team that could put in a reasonable offer.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Stevie Y runs the tightest-lipped group in the league. I'd be shocked if he wouldn't jump in on Gaudreau. And it's apparent that him and Larkin are buds from the stick-stealing incident.

The 1st line was Namestnikov-Larkin-Raymond most of the season.

Insert JG and that is a heckuva line. Mickey Redmond would lose his mind.lol

They have $35mil in cap space and their needs are pretty modest considering they'll have at least 2 ELC rookies next season.

I'm a huge no to JG signing anywhere else.

If he's going to regardless, Detroit would take a little sting off of it.

They're a far cry from where Seattle's at. Very up-and-coming with lots of cap.

They can afford anyone, even 2 top UFAs if they choose.

Prime real estate for another top 6 LW and C.

2nd line:

Vrana-Giroux/Malkin-Bertuzzi? Pretty stealthy.

Already a good bottom 6 between Suter, Rasmussen, Veleno, Erne, Zadina.

Just need the D to hurry up but the pipeline is really good with Edvinsson, Johansson, Sebrango, McIsaac, Viro, Wallinder.

Heard they are closing in on signing Federov as the new coach.

Considering their cap and youth, what do you think about a trade for Monahan.

I'm not sure he would want to go there, but the youth might rejuvinate his career.

Giroux is almost certain to sign in FLA.

Sure, they need to clear a bit, but they won't go back to Chariot. 

I would think that at some point DET wants to start winning more games.

Maybe they might consider Dube and Monahan for Rasmussen.

It gives them 2/3 of a 3rd line.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Heard they are closing in on signing Federov as the new coach.

Considering their cap and youth, what do you think about a trade for Monahan.

I'm not sure he would want to go there, but the youth might rejuvinate his career.

Giroux is almost certain to sign in FLA.

Sure, they need to clear a bit, but they won't go back to Chariot. 

I would think that at some point DET wants to start winning more games.

Maybe they might consider Dube and Monahan for Rasmussen.

It gives them 2/3 of a 3rd line.

The coach links are all over the map.lol

I doubt that trade works. They're getting happier with Rasmussun. Veleno(C) and Berggren(C,RW) likely making the jump full time this year. Larkin, Suter, Rasmussen, Stephens the current centers, so it's not horrendous.

Raymond, Vrana Bertuzzi, Zadina, Erne, Sundqvist at wings. Mony and Dube would be extremely lateral moves.

Definitive top 6 improvement is more likely. Adds experience.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

The coach links are all over the map.lol

I doubt that trade works. They're getting happier with Rasmussun. Veleno(C) and Berggren(C,RW) likely making the jump full time this year. Larkin, Suter, Rasmussen, Stephens the current centers, so it's not horrendous.

Raymond, Vrana Bertuzzi, Zadina, Erne, Sundqvist at wings. Mony and Dube would be extremely lateral moves.

Definitive top 6 improvement is more likely. Adds experience.

Vegas is putting odds on Federov.

Now they are betting on coaches?

What has happened to the world.

Some ideas regarding our D for next season. Let's assume Monahan's contract is moved.

Mackenzie Weegar RD - with Florida wanting to keep Giroux and needing cap space, maybe we can acquire him. Not sure what it would take but I'd love to hear some ideas. He'll be a UFA after next season, and FLA will be dealing with Huberdeau's next contract next season as well. Radko Gudas may also warrant a look. I know he's tough as nails. Both would require a trade tho. 

PK Subban RD - UFA. Just finished an 8 x $9M contract. Clearly isn't worth that anymore, but at the right price, he may be a good add for us

Scott Mayfield RD - 6'5" going into the last year of his contract. Hits and blocks shots. $1.45M cap hit, would require a trade

Nick Leddy LD - UFA. Coming off a $5.5M contract. Is he worth anywhere close to that now? 31 years old. 

Brett Kulak LD - UFA. Coming off a $1.85M contract. I have to say I liked the way he played in Montreal, and he showed pretty well for my eyes in Edmonton. Could we / should we bring him back here? 

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Vegas is putting odds on Federov.

Now they are betting on coaches?

What has happened to the world.

Yeah I know.lol

Doesn't make much sense. Cassidy, Torts and everyone else linked also. I might be the only one not linked. Thought I saw your name up there too.lol

23 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Some ideas regarding our D for next season. Let's assume Monahan's contract is moved.

Mackenzie Weegar RD - with Florida wanting to keep Giroux and needing cap space, maybe we can acquire him. Not sure what it would take but I'd love to hear some ideas. He'll be a UFA after next season, and FLA will be dealing with Huberdeau's next contract next season as well. Radko Gudas may also warrant a look. I know he's tough as nails. Both would require a trade tho. 

PK Subban RD - UFA. Just finished an 8 x $9M contract. Clearly isn't worth that anymore, but at the right price, he may be a good add for us

Scott Mayfield RD - 6'5" going into the last year of his contract. Hits and blocks shots. $1.45M cap hit, would require a trade

Nick Leddy LD - UFA. Coming off a $5.5M contract. Is he worth anywhere close to that now? 31 years old. 

Brett Kulak LD - UFA. Coming off a $1.85M contract. I have to say I liked the way he played in Montreal, and he showed pretty well for my eyes in Edmonton. Could we / should we bring him back here? 

I would say Florida won't be subtracting from their blueline  next year even though both Weegar and Gudas as on their final year they are going for it next year.  I think there are other moves they can look at for clearing cap like buying out Hornqvist, can possibly sell higher on Bennett or Duclair.

I think Mayfield would be a good fit, the only thing would be the cost to acquire could be steep and the Islanders right now are thin for d-men under contract for next year.

Subban I could see looking towards taking less for a chance to win, but the trend lately for older GTA guys is to go home to end the career.  The other two I think are only options if we lose Gaudreau or move an RFA for futures.

• Like 1

A name I've wondered about, not necessarily my first choice to pursue as I think he could get pricey and I don't know if there is just something in the water in Sunrise these days that rejuvenates hockey careers, but I could see the team going after Mason Marchment.  I think if Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Mang are all brought back it would be very hard to fit him in, but if one or more of those guys are gone a lot to ponder.  Sutter loved his dad, Sutter loves big wingers.

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Didnt read the article, only the headline but when did the Devs become a contending team?   I understand theres alot of young talent but theres also alot of holes that need to be addressed which is reflected in their 28th place in the league.

They;re most likely going to address D and G first.

Again depending on the Monahan situation, if the plan is to get a true #2C then you need to go after Copp. Can play all of the forward positions if needed, lots of PK experience, and is good on the boards.  He could probably be had for 4.75 -  5 mil.  53pts in 72 games isnt going to wow alot of people but the all around game is there.

19 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Again depending on the Monahan situation, if the plan is to get a true #2C then you need to go after Copp. Can play all of the forward positions if needed, lots of PK experience, and is good on the boards.  He could probably be had for 4.75 -  5 mil.  53pts in 72 games isnt going to wow alot of people but the all around game is there.

I like Copp as well FFIJL. Statistically, he's pretty comparable to Trocheck except that Trocheck has more than double the hits (physicality) over the last 3 years, but Trocheck has also taken 3 times more penalties than Copp over that same time span. 

Do you think he'd sign here? (I see he's American, was there any indication in WPG that he didn't want to be there?)

How is he on special teams? (Appears to be more of a distributer given he has more assists than goals)

Is he a fast skater? (We could use some quickness)

Also, any concerns about his concussion history?