2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Stone in for Guddy is a different animal.  RD for RD.  That works.

I will be honest here.  We didn't lose because we didn't defend well or get a cannon shot off.

Yes, Stone has one of the  best shots on the team.

The tradeoff is that we lose a mobile defender and have to use Stone with Guddy.

This comes down to players that are there, not one in the stands.

You played a certain way all year and now decide you don't want to go to the hard areas.

We were more desperate to bet NAS than win a playoff game.

I have a feeling it’ll change in Game 3. They needed a bit of travel time. they will adjust and I will feel silly about worrying. 

maybe cowbell doesn’t work. Dallas is a bit of a cowboy town too, no? 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I have a feeling it’ll change in Game 3. They needed a bit of travel time. they will adjust and I will feel silly about worrying. 

maybe cowbell doesn’t work. Dallas is a bit of a cowboy town too, no? 

Three things didn't work.  Stage 1, Cowbell, and shutout.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i also think Gudbranson has had some success taking point shots. I think we all have a bit of the formula that could work. 

Cross - get more cycling and get to the net 

Peeps and Travel and a few others - switch up the middle 6. I’d go so far as to say throw Tkachuk on a line with Backs and Mangiapane. Possibly get Mangiapane going. But revert back to the top line. Get some jump. Not for a 100% of the time: but I think Tkachuk will change Backlund’s game enough to make him effective again. 

Jarnkrok has been awesome but for some reason isn’t jiving with Dube at the moment. 

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Dube

Mangiapane, Backlund, Tkachuk

Coleman, Jarkrok, Toffoli

Lucic, Ruzicka, Lewis

again, not a full time change, just to get guys hopping again. Get a spark into the secondary guys. 

I don't disagree with some of your lines, though Dube on the top line worries me a bit.  The top line isn't playing like a top line, but part of that is needing Tkachuk doing more than just forechecking hard.  He's not in the greasy areas enough when we have zone time.  Nobody is.  Zone entries and Gaudreau has few options.  No trailer.  

Just get Backlund away from Toffoli and Bread.  Simple.  That gives you a duo of Coles and Dube.  Backlund can play defensive hockey and let those guys battle.  Jarny gives you the best possession chance of the C's.  That means we start with the puck and can maybe do something with it.  

I'm not sure Rozie can do enough to change the 4th line.  They weren't a problem in G1 and 2.  They perhaps were used in the wrong situations.  

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't disagree with some of your lines, though Dube on the top line worries me a bit.  The top line isn't playing like a top line, but part of that is needing Tkachuk doing more than just forechecking hard.  He's not in the greasy areas enough when we have zone time.  Nobody is.  Zone entries and Gaudreau has few options.  No trailer.  

Just get Backlund away from Toffoli and Bread.  Simple.  That gives you a duo of Coles and Dube.  Backlund can play defensive hockey and let those guys battle.  Jarny gives you the best possession chance of the C's.  That means we start with the puck and can maybe do something with it.  

I'm not sure Rozie can do enough to change the 4th line.  They weren't a problem in G1 and 2.  They perhaps were used in the wrong situations.  

i found the 4th to be underwhelming in the 2nd game. Maybe that was due to the penalties? 

I only change the first line to get Tkachuk skating again. Like you said, he’s trying and doing board work, and it’s to inject a bit of life into everyone. I don’t even think they have to stay with it the whole game. Like I said, it’s just a temporary thing. If we can find goals for Mangiapane, I think it is needed to get him going and feeling it again. 

Maybe same goes for Toffoli? 

i think Backlund could use Tkachuk to refocus. 

I don't see the rationale in making changes or panicking. it's a 1-1 series that also is essentially tied 1-1 too (I don't count empty net goals) in terms of goals and the Flames have been in control far more than the Stars. 

They need to make some tweaks in certain areas and I think play a little harder game in the o zone but i don't see what mixing things up is going to accomplish. Be harder in front of the net and have their best players be their best players and they will be fine. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't see the rationale in making changes or panicking. it's a 1-1 series that also is essentially tied 1-1 too (I don't count empty net goals) in terms of goals and the Flames have been in control far more than the Stars. 

They need to make some tweaks in certain areas and I think play a little harder game in the o zone but i don't see what mixing things up is going to accomplish. Be harder in front of the net and have their best players be their best players and they will be fine. 

I don't think swapping Backlund with Jarnkrok is a major change.  Backlund's defensive game is probably close to the best on the team.  It's the guys he's lined up with.  Both are solid defensively, but are also two of our secondary scoring weapons.  

I looked at the zone starts between game 1 and 2.  In game 1, back's line had zero O-zone starts.  In game 2, they had 66%.  The latter seemed a bit odd, especially with Lewis's line starting 33% in the O-zone.  Backlund had less than stellar faceoff%, but then again only Jarnkrok was above 50%.  A more consistent faceoff guy with two snipers (Toff and Mange).  Maybe it doesn't translate and maybe Sutter doesn't like it, but it's what I am thinking.

In no way and I overly concerned.  The PP hasn't looked good other than a few looks.  A couple of minor tweaks and we are looking at a series lead.  Without them, it's still anyone's game.  Sutter needs to get the top line working hard again.  And hammer home the idea that you score within 6 feet.  Pretty is for the Oilers and Leafs.  Only takes you so far until you face a defensive team.   

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You played a certain way all year and now decide you don't want to go to the hard areas.

We were more desperate to beat NAS than win a playoff game.

This I agree with. This is exactly what has me questioning things. Are we looking past Dallas? Do we think we can win against them without going to the hard areas? What gives? We all know what the flames have, but we're not seeing it. 

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

^ A little overdramatic, but you get the point lol

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

It's not a 1-1 thing.  Lines haven't worked for weeks and weeks.

41 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

This I agree with. This is exactly what has me questioning things. Are we looking past Dallas? Do we think we can win against them without going to the hard areas? What gives? We all know what the flames have, but we're not seeing it. 

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

^ A little overdramatic, but you get the point lol

Looking past?  Not likely.  Saving some energy for the next games?  Maybe.  The greatest weapon on the 1st line took to heart what Sutter said.  Need more fight.  Except he's just working on one guy.  I think it got in his head that Klingon was the weak link to Dallas.  Neutralize him and you are golden.  There is Heiskanen as well.  And Lindell.  And Hakanpaa.  Tkachuk has a fat enough Hash Rate to park himself and fight for territory.     

I don’t think that lineup changes will do much at this point. I can see the merits of getting Stone into a game, but I haven’t really seen our d men taking too many licks (except for maybe Tanev), but replacing him with Stone is not a good idea. 
As far as the forwards are concerned, I will continue to beat the dead horse that Mang and Dube should play together. Who compliments them the best, we’ll I don’t really know, because they’re never together, lol. Both Calle and Cole’s have the speed to keep up with them. With Calle, Dube plays on the right. With Cole’s, Dube plays center (which I like), keeps Dube off the wall which we’ve talked about. 
The only possible issue is a line of Toffee, Backs, and Calle effective?

9 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I don’t think that lineup changes will do much at this point. I can see the merits of getting Stone into a game, but I haven’t really seen our d men taking too many licks (except for maybe Tanev), but replacing him with Stone is not a good idea. 
As far as the forwards are concerned, I will continue to beat the dead horse that Mang and Dube should play together. Who compliments them the best, we’ll I don’t really know, because they’re never together, lol. Both Calle and Cole’s have the speed to keep up with them. With Calle, Dube plays on the right. With Cole’s, Dube plays center (which I like), keeps Dube off the wall which we’ve talked about. 
The only possible issue is a line of Toffee, Backs, and Calle effective?

Jarnkrok would keep them honest. I like the idea of Dube-Mangiapane together. Let them run and create.

The joys of depth is how many different looks we can toss out there. I'm not very worried that we've only got a goal through 2, we'll get there. Even just moving Stone in is a new look. Moving the lines around I think is something Sutter wants to wait on...we still have bullets in the chamber. It's only 1 loss, no need to panic.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Jarnkrok would keep them honest. I like the idea of Dube-Mangiapane together. Let them run and create.

The joys of depth is how many different looks we can toss out there. I'm not very worried that we've only got a goal through 2, we'll get there. Even just moving Stone in is a new look. Moving the lines around I think is something Sutter wants to wait on...we still have bullets in the chamber. It's only 1 loss, no need to panic.

he has done it before, moved lines for a period or two and then the top line was back together by the end of The game. That is all I am suggesting. I think Mangiapane and Toffoli haven’t looked good for a long time, and I feel Toffoli has been a liability on the first PP, and I feel he and Mangiapane like going the same places and it just cancels each other out. 

i just think a lil jump start is needed. 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

he has done it before, moved lines for a period or two and then the top line was back together by the end of The game. That is all I am suggesting. I think Mangiapane and Toffoli haven’t looked good for a long time, and I feel Toffoli has been a liability on the first PP, and I feel he and Mangiapane like going the same places and it just cancels each other out. 

i just think a lil jump start is needed. 

I'm going to talk PP for a minute.

The successful look the Flames have had is Tkachuk behind the net as the bumper.

That takes away a body in front, so you can't go big shot with traffic.

It puts a RHS on the left circle for the one timer.

That puts Gaudreau on the right. 

Fine, but it puts the two best passer too far away to get the puck to Toffee.

If we are using Gaudreau on the left, then you want a LHS on the RW.

Tkachuk is still behind the net and Toffee on RW, with Lindy in the middle.

The best person behind the net is a guy that doesn't take up space. 

When it's Gaudreau, he's a master at it.

I know I am overthinking it, but we need to work on the PP units.

Tkachuk is best in tight, not behind the net.

Lindy finds quiet areas, but needs to creep in not just be there all the time.

Gaudreau behind the nets is more situation than always being there.

He's a target there, so he has to only go there at times.

If you are using three RHS on the same PP unit (including Ras), then you better get one in the 2nd PP unit.  Hanifin or Kylington is fine as the D, but need someone other than just Backlund and a couple LHS.  And iof Backlund isn't winning faceoffs as much, it's a waste of 30 seconds.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think swapping Backlund with Jarnkrok is a major change.  Backlund's defensive game is probably close to the best on the team.  It's the guys he's lined up with.  Both are solid defensively, but are also two of our secondary scoring weapons.  

Backlund is drawing the Robertson line and shadowing them so where they start is tied to them. I personally don't like the idea of Jankrok as the shadow, especially given that Mang/Backs have been really good at it. 

If there were to make a change I think you swap Toffoli and Coleman but at the same time i get the rationale of keeping Coleman with those 2. 

End of the day I don't think it matters if players are not playing at their best and I think that is the culprit here, not the lines. 

I don’t think it’s panic time to start remixing lines. Perhaps if they lose the next game consider making some changes. Flames rarely lost 2 games in a row all season , they just need to capitalize on their opportunities. Dallas isn’t dominating us in any way, they just capitalized on the few chances they had.

I think we still win the series however I’m ever more cautiously optimistic than before. Sadly, if the Flames somehow  lose this series nobody will be surprised they failed to escape the 1st Rd…it’s just been the narrative for that long. It’s time to change that! 

Breaking up the top line is an overreaction.  We just need to break up Mange and Toffoli.  Give one to Backlund and one to Jarnkrok.  Just one tweak to the middle 6.

The Mange-Toffoli thing isn't a one bad game thing.  It's something that hasn't worked for 6 weeks.  Change is needed.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Breaking up the top line is an overreaction.  We just need to break up Mange and Toffoli.  Give one to Backlund and one to Jarnkrok.  Just one tweak to the middle 6.

The Mange-Toffoli thing isn't a one bad game thing.  It's something that hasn't worked for 6 weeks.  Change is needed.

mom only picturing breaking them up for a period or two, which Sutter has done. It’s not like it’s such a crime or that big of a deal. I think it’s over romanticization  to think it’s an overreaction to break a line up. 

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

mom only picturing breaking them up for a period or two, which Sutter has done. It’s not like it’s such a crime or that big of a deal. I think it’s over romanticization  to think it’s an overreaction to break a line up. 

Because the top line has worked except for the past 2 games.  The Mange-Toffoli line hasn't worked.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Because the top line has worked except for the past 2 games.  The Mange-Toffoli line hasn't worked.

but they did break them up for a start of a game with 1/7th of the season left. It’s only to get them moving. 

Benn and Seguin was apart for some of game 1 snd they played a bit together last game too. I just think it could get the teams feet going again. 

So who’s to blame if the Flames lose this series? The top line? Sutter? Treliving?…all of whom have been heaped praised all season for “turning this team around”…it’s a very close series but why haven’t the Flames for all these year been able to elevate their game when it matters most? 

20 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

I think Darryl will leave it as is unless we lose game 3 if we lose game three then he will make line up changes but there is no need to make drastic changes being tied in the series

It's too bad it has to happen this way but here we go.  It's time to split up Toffoli and Mangiapane.

50 minutes ago, rickross said:

So who’s to blame if the Flames lose this series? The top line? Sutter? Treliving?…all of whom have been heaped praised all season for “turning this team around”…it’s a very close series but why haven’t the Flames for all these year been able to elevate their game when it matters most? 

Coming into the playoffs, what worried me the most was that our secondary scoring dried up.  Dube went on a good stretch near the end of the season.  We got timely goals from our D, like Stone and Hanifin.  And that's it.  That entire Backlund line couldn't get anything going.  Yet, we didn't make any adjustments.

I wouldn't blame the top line because they're mostly getting it done with lots of chances every game.  Our 4th line has been pretty good as well.  That middle six can't find any offense.  Maybe Stone will help our PP.  Maybe Ruzicka could make a difference in this series with his size.  Those two are options.

We can still win this series but we need to make some tweaks.

If Treliving deserves any blame then it's not getting a 2nd line Center but still, he's put together a team that should be good enough until we face COL in the Conference Finals and lose 4 straight.  Sutter, maybe is stubborn with his lines.  Generally speaking, I wouldn't blame those two though.