Our community and forums

rocketdoctor

On 12/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, conundrumed said:

If I'm not mistook, I believe Heartbreaker is quite an affable fellow. His indenture into cyberspace sciences is exceeded only upon his minstrel whimsy upon the arts and the fair craft of spiritual awakening.

If I'm not mistook.

A really fun guy, in laymen's terms.:)

On 12/10/2021 at 4:50 PM, travel_dude said:

It wasn't a slight to HB at all.

We need more like him in the world.

You fellas are the coolest, and for what it's worth, I think that you're pretty damn swell, too.

I sure do miss that @cross16 guy. Anyone know where he's at these days?

On 12/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, conundrumed said:

Someone mistooked(making up words) Heartbreaker for a girl a while back...

And the girl... well, there's a story behind that. In 2009 or so, we were printing t-shirts for the band, and I asked the rep at the shop for some options for ladies' shirts. She sent me this picture from their catalogue, and I fell in love immediately. In addition to being a total blam-blam, the kicked-out hip, and look on her face said eff you in all the ways that I was trying to say with the songs that I was writing at the time.

So I did a few things that were, perhaps, ill-advised.

First, I photoshopped the logo onto her shirt. Then, I set up a Plenty of Fish account with a cheeky write-up, that photo, and I named her Tara Berlin. It'd be a gross understatement to leave it at she was very popular.

The plan was to use the account to invite a whole bunch of people out to see the show, and of course, she wouldn't be there.

Now, I want to tell you that my moral compass got the best of me, or maybe that it had occurred to me that I didn't want to be the guy that happened to front "her favourite band" when legions of angry fellas that had been stood up all realized that she wasn't coming, and that they were there for the same reason, but that wouldn't be true. What actually happened was that I received a cease-and-desist when someone in an authoritative position recognized that the model's likeness was being used in some unauthorized way.

Anyway, Tara Berlin, my other girlfriend:

The-Wicked-Broad.jpg

Love.

I feel like she might have taken advantage of me once when I was feeling down. I was in Minneapolis, and her and 3 of her much more attractive girlfriends totally used me like I'm a piece of meat.

It was so humiliating.

I can hardly live with myself. It reminded me of the 24yo gorgeous high school teacher that seduced me when I was 16.

Some gorgeous women just can't understand that guys have feelings too. It isn't fair.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 7:31 PM, Heartbreaker said:

You fellas are the coolest, and for what it's worth, I think that you're pretty damn swell, too.

I sure do miss that @cross16 guy. Anyone know where he's at these days?

Love.

Hey Heartbreaker. Appreciate the note but I am here. Account got mixed up in all those changes and life got too carried away for me to figure it out. Finally got a chance to read this thread and now it's all set!

Thanks everyone and hope to chat soon. Belated Merry Christmas wishes to all 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hey Heartbreaker. Appreciate the note but I am here. Account got mixed up in all those changes and life got too carried away for me to figure it out. Finally got a chance to read this thread and now it's all set!

RAD!

Hopefully all is well, welcome back, and happy holidays!

Love.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Merry Christmas to you too and welcome back

37 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What makes you a Flames fan? It's always great to hear stories from the other side of Greenland!

Hmm. Maybe 'couse friends support Detroit (year was 2005-06) and I didn't like them jersey that much. Then I checked NHL teams logos and jerseys and Flames just clicked. After that Iggy and Kipper stole my heart.

Fulltime fan I have been since about 2011 or -12 when started watching games a lot. 

Best part is that one of my friends change supporting Detroit to Calgary because of me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffexi said:

Hmm. Maybe 'couse friends support Detroit (year was 2005-06) and I didn't like them jersey that much. Then I checked NHL teams logos and jerseys and Flames just clicked. After that Iggy and Kipper stole my heart.

Fulltime fan I have been since about 2011 or -12 when started watching games a lot. 

Best part is that one of my friends change supporting Detroit to Calgary because of me.

That's awesome! Outside of the Winged Wheel is my other fave team.lol

7 hours ago, Jeffexi said:

Fun story. Around 2009 I recall a "english isn't my 1st language" poster started a thread. By the time I saw it, as "crash" username I think, it was a page deep of ignorance about the poster being drunk or developmentally delayed.

Let's just say, we're not like that anymore. That was pathetic.

I'm mad that we never draft Finns. You guys are at the height of hockey.

Do you go to games where you are?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fun story. Around 2009 I recall a "english isn't my 1st language" poster started a thread. By the time I saw it, as "crash" username I think, it was a page deep of ignorance about the poster being drunk or developmentally delayed.

Let's just say, we're not like that anymore. That was pathetic.

Do you go to games where you are?

Okay good to hear.

Yeah maybe sometime we should draft Finns but I'm happy with Swedish. Both countries have good coaching staffs.

But yes we Finns are hockey people and we go to games. Almost everyone can say they're favorite hockey team. Other sports don't have that much fans than hockey. 

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

91516fb31732868e0bbc9383dd84243c.png

Finnish selected players - 5th largest contigeent which is probably about right.

Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia top 4 countries Flames franchise has drafted from

Toni Lydman probably our most sucessful "drafted" Finn but hopefully Valimaki can change that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Finnish selected players - 5th largest contigeent which is probably about right.

Canada, USA, Sweden and Russia top 4 countries Flames franchise has drafted from

Toni Lydman probably our most sucessful "drafted" Finn but hopefully Valimaki can change that!

I thought of Juuso and Eetu as soon as I hit submit.lol

8 hours ago, Jeffexi said:

Okay good to hear.

Yeah maybe sometime we should draft Finns but I'm happy with Swedish. Both countries have good coaching staffs.

to watch sports and my brother was a Habs faBut yes we Finns are hockey people and we go to games. Almost everyone can say they're favorite hockey team. Other sports don't have that much fans than hockey. 

I grew up on the east coast of Canada as a Bruins fan.. Couldn;t pick the Leafs as they were dad's team and were the reason we were not allowed  to watch sports on t.v. and my brother was a habs fan to spite my father who was anti Anything French. I moved to Calgary in 76 and  bought season tickets to the WHA Cowboys when they moved to town and switched to being a Flames fan when the NHL came to town and still dont understand why we stayed the Flames nor how a person could root for any team not from their home town.. I still hope for a tie.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

we had Pekka Rautakeellio here when we first had a team

10 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

id like to see them try drafting Finns a bit higher in the rounds. I’d like a bit more diversity. The top 5 players from the top 5 countries would be 25 players. Unless we go deep, we’d be drafting from 12-24… but it’s why I don’t think our European scouting is up to snuff. Opinion of course.

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

I grew up on the east coast of Canada as a Bruins fan.. Couldn;t pick the Leafs as they were dad's team and were the reason we were not allowed  to watch sports on t.v. and my brother was a habs fan to spite my father who was anti Anything French. I moved to Calgary in 76 and  bought season tickets to the WHA Cowboys when they moved to town and switched to being a Flames fan when the NHL came to town and still dont understand why we stayed the Flames nor how a person could root for any team not from their home town.. I still hope for a tie.

people often wonder why I go for the Flames instead of the Canucks…. Because, the Canucks (and their fans). 

I guess going to games would be a lot more fun when going to the Canucks’ games? 

i just think they always have such outlandish opinions on the team, (cough cough, JohnnGarrett), what their players are worth and trade suggestions…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

people often wonder why I go for the Flames instead of the Canucks…. Because, the Canucks (and their fans). 

I guess going to games would be a lot more fun when going to the Canucks’ games? 

i just think they always have such outlandish opinions on the team, (cough cough, JohnnGarrett), what their players are worth and trade suggestions…

John Garrett is reason enough.lol

I'm spoiled by the Wings Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond. Class of the league. Never trash anyone, Talk as much about the other team as their own and bring in guests to have fun with. Worst in the league I have to hand to Boston and Tampa Bay. You wouldn't even know there's another team playing, outside of the "lucky" goals scored against them.

In a tiebreaker, TBay is absolutely the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

John Garrett is reason enough.lol

I'm spoiled by the Wings Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond. Class of the league. Never trash anyone, Talk as much about the other team as their own and bring in guests to have fun with. Worst in the league I have to hand to Boston and Tampa Bay. You wouldn't even know there's another team playing, outside of the "lucky" goals scored against them.

In a tiebreaker, TBay is absolutely the worst.

I dunno, I gotta give the edge to Boston. Whats a "good hockey play" by a Bruins player turns into a crime against humanity when done by anyone else.

And those f*****g Bahstin accents.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Why wouldnt you cheer for a team that wore these?

flying v.jpg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Why wouldnt you cheer for a team that wore these?

flying v.jpg

I might even be more inclined to cheer for them. :P

In Grade 6 I had a Canucks jacket with the skate patch. A kid in school asked for the patch, so I gave it to him. I hate that I wore that thing now. But up until then, I didn't  really have any favourite teams. It went, NYI because of the cups, then I tried to like the Oil, but they lost in the game I went to see them play in, so I ended up hating Gretz the rest of my life. Then, I was a free agent until grade 8. I started watching the Flames Canucks series and I went for the Flames the whole way to the cup and won. Never looked back since. I did like Richard Brodeur. 

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I might even be more inclined to cheer for them. :P

In Grade 6 I had a Canucks jacket with the skate patch. A kid in school asked for the patch, so I gave it to him. I hate that I wore that thing now. But up until then, I didn't  really have any favourite teams. It went, NYI because of the cups, then I tried to like the Oil, but they lost in the game I went to see them play in, so I ended up hating Gretz the rest of my life. Then, I was a free agent until grade 8. I started watching the Flames Canucks series and I went for the Flames the whole way to the cup and won. Never looked back since. I did like Richard Brodeur. 

I didn't really grow up with much hate for the Canucks, I liked the flying skate and always dominated with Linden and Bure in the early EA NHL games.  The '94 series was annoying to lose to them in 3 straight OT games with a 3-1 lead, but then they went to the finals to play a team full of ex-Oilers in the final and were an easy team to cheer for, and the Flames themselves were equally annoying for squandering the final years of some real good teams.  But after that series it became a parade of players too easy to hate: Messier, Bertuzzi, Jovonovski, Cooke, Ruutu, Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, and I think there are a few more.  Those years the Canuck fans took over the dome, not always a pleasant experience, usually rougher in the stands than on the ice.  I've actually had friends who said they had better experiences dealing with Canuck fans in games in Vancouver than in Calgary.

One thing about this forum is we have a good reach of fans from all over, I enjoy hearing of how people from other cities came to be fans of this team especially those in other NHL markets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I didn't really grow up with much hate for the Canucks, I liked the flying skate and always dominated with Linden and Bure in the early EA NHL games.  The '94 series was annoying to lose to them in 3 straight OT games with a 3-1 lead, but then they went to the finals to play a team full of ex-Oilers in the final and were an easy team to cheer for, and the Flames themselves were equally annoying for squandering the final years of some real good teams.  But after that series it became a parade of players too easy to hate: Messier, Bertuzzi, Jovonovski, Cooke, Ruutu, Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, and I think there are a few more.  Those years the Canuck fans took over the dome, not always a pleasant experience, usually rougher in the stands than on the ice.  I've actually had friends who said they had better experiences dealing with Canuck fans in games in Vancouver than in Calgary.

One thing about this forum is we have a good reach of fans from all over, I enjoy hearing of how people from other cities came to be fans of this team especially those in other NHL markets.

i was at the Wild @ Van game 7 when the Wild had the come from behind victory. After the game as we were leaving, suddenly a Canuck fan ran about 50 yards to attack a Wild fan in a wild jersey from behind. The guy was holding hands with his girlfriend. 
it was weird… 

but my only beef is the outlandish suggestions their fans tended to make ( at least the fans I’ve encountered). True armchair GM’s. :)