Sutter is seemingly playing everyone on the roster, whether 7th or 8th D or injury callup.

Nice to see that, especially if you get a call up.

Saying that, I think we have seen some questionable usage recently.

Against Ottawa, we had a reasonably balanced set of lines.

I still think the lines are a work in progress.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube

Coleman-Backlund-Duehr

Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick

I'm not really a fan of Richardson.  He had a great play when he stopped the puck from dribbling in behind the goalie, but otherwise can be invisible.  Not really doing much to spark Lucic or Lewis or Pitlick.  We should either look at a depth C or call up one.  Have a couple of choices in Stockton; Ruzicka or Gawdin.  Ruzicka is looking too good to keep on the farm, and a call up wouldn't be the wrong thing to do to reward him.  He's not going to do a lot of scoring on the 4th line, but I would like to see if he has defensive skills to go with the offense.  Lord knows Richardson is doing little.

What about? …

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Mangiapane - Dube - Duehr

Lucic - Monahan - Coleman

Lewis - Backlund - Pitlick 

My hope would be to give Mang and Double D more favourable zone starts, protect them and let them use their speed. Which gives you two very capable lines with Money and Backs. If we could insert another young guy with Backs, that would be ideal for me.

9 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

What about? …

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Mangiapane - Dube - Duehr

Lucic - Monahan - Coleman

Lewis - Backlund - Pitlick 

My hope would be to give Mang and Double D more favourable zone starts, protect them and let them use their speed. Which gives you two very capable lines with Money and Backs. If we could insert another young guy with Backs, that would be ideal for me.

gaudreau-lindholm;coleman

mangi;backlund-dube

tkachuk-monahan=pitlick

lucic-lewis-duehr

The lines seem to be less of the standard L1, L2, L3 and more of 100 foot and 200 foot lines.

The minutes are fed to the line that is doing the most on both ends.

This makes it difficult to set up the Backlund line.

It's the best defensive line, but suffers from no scoring threats.

I'm finding it difficult to set up lines as such.

Gaudreau-Lindholm

Mangiapane-Dube

Coleman-Backlund

Lucic-Pitick

Monahan may be best used with Dube.

Tkachuk fits with Gaudreau, but he might be best served with Backlund.

Missing that key RW and 4C.

Are we sure that Ruzicka couldn't produce on the 4th line?

He's a sniper.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in...

Ruzicka recalled.

As much as it's a reward for leading the team (and AHL) in goals, I wonder if there are some issues they want to look at.

Monahan doesn't look like himself yet.

He's strong on the puck in board battles, but weak on the puck in shooting and passing.

Pitlick may be dealing with an injury; he doesn't look 100% some nights.

Sutter may just want a different look.

I could see them opting to use Ruzicka in the 3 hole, pushing down Monahan to #4 with Lucic and Lewis.

Richardson is playing really well defensively, but maybe not so much driving play?

The bottom line is that we are down to 14F + Ritchie.

We can go with 13 + 7 on any given night, but that doesn't always work out.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

This just in...

Ruzicka recalled.

As much as it's a reward for leading the team (and AHL) in goals, I wonder if there are some issues they want to look at.

Monahan doesn't look like himself yet.

He's strong on the puck in board battles, but weak on the puck in shooting and passing.

Pitlick may be dealing with an injury; he doesn't look 100% some nights.

Sutter may just want a different look.

I could see them opting to use Ruzicka in the 3 hole, pushing down Monahan to #4 with Lucic and Lewis.

Richardson is playing really well defensively, but maybe not so much driving play?

The bottom line is that we are down to 14F + Ritchie.

We can go with 13 + 7 on any given night, but that doesn't always work out.

I just looked and they have two games on the 26th and 27th. So my theory on rewarding while they don’t have games is out. Maybe there are some maintenance issues and they do need a body to practice with a full roster?

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just looked and they have two games on the 26th and 27th. So my theory on rewarding while they don’t have games is out. Maybe there are some maintenance issues and they do need a body to practice with a full roster?

Richardson is off for maintenance, but they didn't need to bring him up for that.

Could practice without the extra forward,, and Lewis at C.

They probably want to see him in practice now that he's rolling.

Was disappointing at camp.

I think there may be some nagging issues with Richardson.

He plays a heavy game and might be susceptible to injury.

WPG is a big heavy team and having the roster at 100% is key.

Ruzicka is a power forward type that could mesh with Lewis and Looch.

He's also a skill guy with speed.

This will benefit him as a player.

Not so much playing a grind style, but learning how to play where it's not just offense that wins games.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, travel_dude said:

Sutter is seemingly playing everyone on the roster, whether 7th or 8th D or injury callup.

Nice to see that, especially if you get a call up.

Saying that, I think we have seen some questionable usage recently.

Against Ottawa, we had a reasonably balanced set of lines.

I still think the lines are a work in progress.

Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube

Coleman-Backlund-Duehr

Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick

I'm not really a fan of Richardson.  He had a great play when he stopped the puck from dribbling in behind the goalie, but otherwise can be invisible.  Not really doing much to spark Lucic or Lewis or Pitlick.  We should either look at a depth C or call up one.  Have a couple of choices in Stockton; Ruzicka or Gawdin.  Ruzicka is looking too good to keep on the farm, and a call up wouldn't be the wrong thing to do to reward him.  He's not going to do a lot of scoring on the 4th line, but I would like to see if he has defensive skills to go with the offense.  Lord knows Richardson is doing little.

FWIW I dont think Lewis or Pitlick are any more noticeable. Not a bad time to swap any of them out with Ruzicka, Pospisil, or Dueher.  

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

FWIW I dont think Lewis or Pitlick are any more noticeable. Not a bad time to swap any of them out with Ruzicka, Pospisil, or Dueher.  

Ritchie is out week to week, with no real mention of his issues.

Pospisil is out of the lineup in Stockton.

Duehr is a RW.

At this point, I would only consider two players from Stockton that would fit the lineup right now.

Ruzicka or Pelletier.

Pelletier if we had a LW need and could swap Dube to RW.

Ruzicka is we needed a LW or C.

Swap out Dube to RW or play Ruzicka at C.

Right now, scoring is not a problem for us.

Our GA/GA differential is tops in the league.

We aren't that far off from tops in goals for.

We need to have 200 foot players in the lineup.

Lucic, Richardson, Lewis, and Pitlick all fit that bill.

If Ruzicka can play that way, we don't need his scoring touch as much.

If we are in need of a 200 foot player than can setup guys on the 3rd line, then I think Pelletier is best.

Best used if we can shelter them or our top lines are getting shut down.

18 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

But not being noticeable is a good thing for the roles they play. If they were noticeable for the wrong reasons, I would understand. It really depends on whether the other three can give you the minutes to allow Sutter to role the 4 lines. If any of them end up like the last few years with just a few minutes, then they're not worth it for Sutter. I think that Lewis does little things well that aren't noticeable. Some of them are just getting in the way in the right times without getting an interference penalty, whereas, do other players do enough of that? And besides, who would score all of our empty netters? He's rewarded in those situations because he's defending the lead well enough to get the puck back and take that shot. I dunno. It's tough. 

I totally get that we want more, but at the same time I just think that if it means sacrificing the wrong side of the ice... 

The other thing that I've heard is that those guys are relaying Sutter's message and partly why the team is buying in, they're acting as teachers or assistants in this case... 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

But not being noticeable is a good thing for the roles they play. If they were noticeable for the wrong reasons, I would understand. It really depends on whether the other three can give you the minutes to allow Sutter to role the 4 lines. If any of them end up like the last few years with just a few minutes, then they're not worth it for Sutter. I think that Lewis does little things well that aren't noticeable. Some of them are just getting in the way in the right times without getting an interference penalty, whereas, do other players do enough of that? And besides, who would score all of our empty netters? He's rewarded in those situations because he's defending the lead well enough to get the puck back and take that shot. I dunno. It's tough. 

I totally get that we want more, but at the same time I just think that if it means sacrificing the wrong side of the ice... 

The other thing that I've heard is that those guys are relaying Sutter's message and partly why the team is buying in, they're acting as teachers or assistants in this case... 

We all want more goals so we aren't going into the 3rd with a tie or down a goal.

The more important thing is to know how to win those close games.

We had that issue last year.

Down a goal, we always pressed, but ended up losing by 2 or perhaps losing a tie game late.

We still have an issue in OT, but I think that is personnel related.

Poor decision making at times.

That comes from being impatient or not managing the threat. 

We seem to have no problem winning games where we score first.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We all want more goals so we aren't going into the 3rd with a tie or down a goal.

The more important thing is to know how to win those close games.

We had that issue last year.

Down a goal, we always pressed, but ended up losing by 2 or perhaps losing a tie game late.

We still have an issue in OT, but I think that is personnel related.

Poor decision making at times.

That comes from being impatient or not managing the threat. 

We seem to have no problem winning games where we score first.

We also used to have a problem holding leads and now we don't. I guess we always want to improve, but at the same time, this is where all of our philosophies differ. I found that not one prospect (other than Duere) made a case for making the team. That's not to say that Lewis or others were much better, but we see that they add to the culture that is built with the team. Can the Flames keep the culture if we minus those guys? I am not so sure. Maybe Johnny and Lindholm are the only ones going? Backlund is mostly consistent but not getting points, but I don't have a problem with his game. The only time I ever feel the 4th line is a big deal is when they can only play 4 minutes a night (Rinaldo). I think Conundrum makes good points on why this 4th line is very important to the way this team is performing and what they add. 

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Lewis and Pitlick have had their moments but also made mistakes at times.  I don't mind seeing Duehr or Pospisil in a game or three.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We also used to have a problem holding leads and now we don't. I guess we always want to improve, but at the same time, this is where all of our philosophies differ. I found that not one prospect (other than Duere) made a case for making the team. That's not to say that Lewis or others were much better, but we see that they add to the culture that is built with the team. Can the Flames keep the culture if we minus those guys? I am not so sure. Maybe Johnny and Lindholm are the only ones going? Backlund is mostly consistent but not getting points, but I don't have a problem with his game. The only time I ever feel the 4th line is a big deal is when they can only play 4 minutes a night (Rinaldo). I think Conundrum makes good points on why this 4th line is very important to the way this team is performing and what they add. 

The guys that showed up in pre-season were Pospisil and Duehr and Gawdin.

Neither Ruzicka nor Pelletier had a good camp.

That's not to say they didn't show up, but that the structure of it was geared towards NHL vs AHL lines.

Really, when you look at the number of games played, only a few prospects got more than one or two.

I am fine with that.  Don't spend the entire camp playing a bunch of guys that don't really have a shot.

If they look spectacular, give them a game against a tough team.  If they keep it up, consider keeping them up.

Let them develop otherwise.

Both Ruzi and Pelly have gelled and been top producers in the AHL.

See if they can play like that in the NHL.

But they have to do something in any game they play.

Do what Kylington did.

On 11/17/2021 at 4:08 AM, Horsman1 said:

gaudreau-lindholm;coleman

mangi;backlund-dube

tkachuk-monahan=pitlick

lucic-lewis-duehr

This Is kinda interesting…cause you are really spreading out the talent…I was kinda of the same thought process…

with pairing Gaudreau with Lindholm or Monahan, which if I’m being fully honest, I’d like to see, for a few reasons, and I do think Sutter will do that eventually, but it’s pretty clear he’s taking his time with Monahan so as to not risk him getting another injury which is smart….

anyway the reason are, Monahan and Gaudreau when healthy are still Ana amazing duo and 

the other reason is Tkacuck seems to be gelling well with Lindholm…so a 1-2 LW/Ctr punch is great!

also, with Manji and Dube coming on, it’s more a matter of where to play them, I’m of the thought process…and no the line order is not important cause Sutter rolls all 4 pretty evenly..and also I’m of the same idea that Lewis is kinda invisible…and with Ruzicka (sp?) being called up…hopefully he forces them

to keep him up..

Gaudreau/Monahan/ Coleman or Dube

Tkachuk/Lindholm/Coleman or Dube 

Manji/Ruzicka/Pitlick or Duher

Lucic/Backlund/Pitlick or Duher 

Cant help but feel this would be some

pretty amazing lines with the regular add info Ruzicka and Duher and also with some consistency in the Ctr LW pairs..also I’m of the thought process that Lucic may either open some space for Backlund to be a bit more of an  offensive threat or and more probably they would be an amazing shutdown Duo

Unfortunately I haven't had as much of a chance to watch games as I normally would, but here is how I would go with the lines based on my minimal viewing:

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Monahan-Lewis

Lucic-Richardson-Pitlick

Andersson-Hanifin

Kylington-Tanev

Valimaki-Gudbranson

Nothing earth shattering, but things are working so no need to tweak it too much.

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The guys that showed up in pre-season were Pospisil and Duehr and Gawdin.

Neither Ruzicka nor Pelletier had a good camp.

That's not to say they didn't show up, but that the structure of it was geared towards NHL vs AHL lines.

Really, when you look at the number of games played, only a few prospects got more than one or two.

I am fine with that.  Don't spend the entire camp playing a bunch of guys that don't really have a shot.

If they look spectacular, give them a game against a tough team.  If they keep it up, consider keeping them up.

Let them develop otherwise.

Both Ruzi and Pelly have gelled and been top producers in the AHL.

See if they can play like that in the NHL.

But they have to do something in any game they play.

Do what Kylington did.

For some reason, I don't like Gawdin. I feel like he's a dime a dozen and it's the reason he's not up in the NHL. He hasn't really done enough to overtake a Lewis, Richardson or Pitlick, and he's not going to take over Lucic. Was he better than any of Backlund or Dube, or Monahan? He's not going to take any of them out. It's the same with Pospisil. He was playing well, but for these guys, can playing well in October translate to playing well in Mid-November to June? Hopefully. You replace the NHLers with them now and then we find out they can't cut it in the middle, then we are hooped. 

I am a bit old school in that I like that the 4th line is setting a tone, and the rest of the team is following. Not saying that the 4th line should be the leaders, but when worker bees show how it is to work, some others can tend to follow. 

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

For some reason, I don't like Gawdin. I feel like he's a dime a dozen and it's the reason he's not up in the NHL. He hasn't really done enough to overtake a Lewis, Richardson or Pitlick, and he's not going to take over Lucic. Was he better than any of Backlund or Dube, or Monahan? He's not going to take any of them out. It's the same with Pospisil. He was playing well, but for these guys, can playing well in October translate to playing well in Mid-November to June? Hopefully. You replace the NHLers with them now and then we find out they can't cut it in the middle, then we are hooped. 

I am a bit old school in that I like that the 4th line is setting a tone, and the rest of the team is following. Not saying that the 4th line should be the leaders, but when worker bees show how it is to work, some others can tend to follow. 

It's nice that the line isn't a liability.  Twice in the last few game the line is out with a 1 goal lead and an empty net and cashed in, it's been a while since I remember this team being able to take advantage of that, but its nice to have a line that can be relied upon.  Watch Edmonton with an empty net and it is pure stat padding time for the big 2.  It's crazy that the Flames have played one more game than the Oilers, yet McDavid has played over 60 minutes more than Gaudreau, and even McDavid is about 12 minutes short of Draisaitl.  I think its a good thing if we can continue to manage the ice time that well.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

It's nice that the line isn't a liability.  Twice in the last few game the line is out with a 1 goal lead and an empty net and cashed in, it's been a while since I remember this team being able to take advantage of that, but its nice to have a line that can be relied upon.  Watch Edmonton with an empty net and it is pure stat padding time for the big 2.  It's crazy that the Flames have played one more game than the Oilers, yet McDavid has played over 60 minutes more than Gaudreau, and even McDavid is about 12 minutes short of Draisaitl.  I think its a good thing if we can continue to manage the ice time that well.

Yup! I think in the grand scheme of things, the ice time adds up (especially in the instances like the Oilers). In the long run it will add up, and this is a very condensed season with the olympics, it could be why they don't go deeper in the playoffs. The Flames' depth in the years that they've been in the playoffs really showed when Backlund and Lindholm were heavily counted on, they got tired to finish games, and cost them. Ryan is a good little checker, but when hemmed in, it can sometimes be harder to get out when being a smaller player... It takes a toll. Regardless, the hope is that toll can continued to be evened out throughout the course of the season. It allows players to play at their max potential and even though playing less, they could be more effective in their shifts. I like the idea of the team coming in waves. This has been a fun season so far. I am glad that they are playing the way they are and it's really all I have been hoping for in my assessments of previous years. 

Plus I think, Wow, did BT ever make a great signing in Tanev. Look at how the Canuck's D core is a mess and so disjointed without him in there, and how he settled Hanifin and now Kylington. He's one of those guys that makes the pair play above potential, especially with a mobile D as his partner. I've been thinking about that over the last bit at how lucky we are as fans that the Flames have Tanev. 

I just think that this year's signings, in a way, do the little things that we wanted out of the signings for last season. While not flash, it's affective for the little things.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Plus I think, Wow, did BT ever make a great signing in Tanev. Look at how the Canuck's D core is a mess and so disjointed without him in there, and how he settled Hanifin and now Kylington. He's one of those guys that makes the pair play above potential, especially with a mobile D as his partner. I've been thinking about that over the last bit at how lucky we are as fans that the Flames have Tanev. 

Yup Tanev has been one of BT's best adds and I was critical of it at the time of signing. We knew he was aging and his body has been through the trenches but if he can hold up for another two years, boy what a great signing.  Tanev wanted 4-years and the Canucks offered 2.  It's proving to be their loss because the Canucks haven't been able to find a partner for Hughes since Tanev left.  Harmonic is a shadow of Tanev... Not even close.

And Gudbranson... We got two of the Canucks RDs that I'm sure they would want back.  Canucks fans have been complaining all season about how soft their team is.  Hughes even had to take matters into his own hands.  There is no grit on that team.. and Gudbranson is shining under Sutter's system.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yup Tanev has been one of BT's best adds and I was critical of it at the time of signing. We knew he was aging and his body has been through the trenches but if he can hold up for another two years, boy what a great signing.  Tanev wanted 4-years and the Canucks offered 2.  It's proving to be their loss because the Canucks haven't been able to find a partner for Hughes since Tanev left.  Harmonic is a shadow of Tanev... Not even close.

And Gudbranson... We got two of the Canucks RDs that I'm sure they would want back.  Canucks fans have been complaining all season about how soft their team is.  Hughes even had to take matters into his own hands.  There is no grit on that team.. and Gudbranson is shining under Sutter's system.

The only thing that worried me about Tanev was durability.

He plays a rugged game and has been injured almost every year.

The way he has been playing with the team thins year allows the toughness to be spread out.

He not playing with a kid that doesn't check.

Hanifin is playing with BOOM, so that allows Hanifin not to have to always yake the body.

Guddy and Zaddy are the big hitters and deal out the justice.

Teams are less liable to take liberties with us now.

We made the right choice with Tanev and Marky.

They are core.

Do we really miss Gio now?

He's not scoring much this year, which is what he would be here likely.

It's a good problem to have a top 4 capable guy eating popcorn.

Sure, he needs to play, but it's a long season.

At some point, he probably comes in for a big stretch.

He needs to be better than Zaddy, though.

Right now, he at best even.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing that worried me about Tanev was durability.

He plays a rugged game and has been injured almost every year.

The way he has been playing with the team thins year allows the toughness to be spread out.

He not playing with a kid that doesn't check.

Hanifin is playing with BOOM, so that allows Hanifin not to have to always yake the body.

Guddy and Zaddy are the big hitters and deal out the justice.

Teams are less liable to take liberties with us now.

We made the right choice with Tanev and Marky.

They are core.

Do we really miss Gio now?

He's not scoring much this year, which is what he would be here likely.

It's a good problem to have a top 4 capable guy eating popcorn.

Sure, he needs to play, but it's a long season.

At some point, he probably comes in for a big stretch.

He needs to be better than Zaddy, though.

Right now, he at best even.

ya, I was wrong on Gudbranson and wonder if it was just the Canucks and possibly the expectation that came with acquiring him then. He doesn’t have to be more than a steady 3rd pair.

I like that Sutter is simplifying everyone’s game. I think less is more a lot of the time. Checking in all areas makes it easier to defend in the end and makes having the puck more fun.

id say Vladar is a great find too! I don’t mind the price if it’s a goalie that can be in Calgary for awhile. The last two offseasons has been some of  BT’s best work.

Although, now that we have hindsight, the Hamilton/Lindholm,Hanifin trade was a good one too. 

if I were Sutter, I’d try get Valamaki in almost every 2nd or 3rd game. Tough to take anyone out though. But maybe in games where the schedule is tight, maybe he can sit guys for a game for maintenance. Gotta have the best lineup out there…

On 11/25/2021 at 4:06 PM, MP5029 said:

This Is kinda interesting…cause you are really spreading out the talent…I was kinda of the same thought process…

with pairing Gaudreau with Lindholm or Monahan, which if I’m being fully honest, I’d like to see, for a few reasons, and I do think Sutter will do that eventually, but it’s pretty clear he’s taking his time with Monahan so as to not risk him getting another injury which is smart….

anyway the reason are, Monahan and Gaudreau when healthy are still Ana amazing duo and 

the other reason is Tkacuck seems to be gelling well with Lindholm…so a 1-2 LW/Ctr punch is great!

also, with Manji and Dube coming on, it’s more a matter of where to play them, I’m of the thought process…and no the line order is not important cause Sutter rolls all 4 pretty evenly..and also I’m of the same idea that Lewis is kinda invisible…and with Ruzicka (sp?) being called up…hopefully he forces them

to keep him up..

Gaudreau/Monahan/ Coleman or Dube

Tkachuk/Lindholm/Coleman or Dube 

Manji/Ruzicka/Pitlick or Duher

Lucic/Backlund/Pitlick or Duher 

Cant help but feel this would be some

pretty amazing lines with the regular add info Ruzicka and Duher and also with some  on a consistent game to gameconsistency in the Ctr LW pairs..also I’m of the thought process that Lucic may either open some space for Backlund to be a bit more of an  offensive threat or and more probably they would be an amazing shutdown Duo

I.m really really disappointed so far with Pitlickk and I'm not yet convinced Dube is anything but a great figure skater and have always questioned Ruzicka's work habit on a consistent game to game basis.. so .. it'sstill early.. and Sutters bag of fairy dusk isn;t empty yet.. Go Flames

On 11/25/2021 at 12:27 PM, travel_dude said:

Richardson is off for maintenance, but they didn't need to bring him up for that.

Could practice without the extra forward,, and Lewis at C.

They probably want to see him in practice now that he's rolling.

Was disappointing at camp.

I think there may be some nagging issues with Richardson.

He plays a heavy game and might be susceptible to injury.

WPG is a big heavy team and having the roster at 100% is key.

Ruzicka is a power forward type that could mesh with Lewis and Looch.

He's also a skill guy with speed.

This will benefit him as a player.

Not so much playing a grind style, but learning how to play where it's not just offense that wins games.

jonny.lindy and mangi

tkachuck, ruzicka. coleman

dube,backlund,lewis

looch,monahan,richardson

pitttlick/duehr