I liked Ruzichka in the games he played. He had one missed assignment that resulted in a goal (that I can think of). And how many other players tend to miss assignments, especially in the last handful of games. He does look a bit tentative, but seems to have some of the skill to play.  I wonder if the more that he plays, the more comfortable he can become. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I liked Ruzichka in the games he played. He had one missed assignment that resulted in a goal (that I can think of). And how many other players tend to miss assignments, especially in the last handful of games. He does look a bit tentative, but seems to have some of the skill to play.  I wonder if the more that he plays, the more comfortable he can become. 

Considering Sutter's recent comments, Ruzie has a ways to go to earn his trust.  They are going with Pitlick and Coleman with Backs, Ritchie with Mange and Dube, Looch with Monahan and Lewis.  I think the idea is to get back in the win column.  Ottawa is going to be scrappy even with the missing players.  I did feel that Ruzie had one bad shift that lead to a goal, but he was not the only guy on the ice.  Zero coverage on the goal scorer.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Monahan-Dube

Lewis-Richardson-Ritchie

Ruzicka-Pitlick

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Gudbranson

Stone

Honestly, this is about the best thy can manage with Ruzie on the sidelines.  It's a shame that the 4th line is all RHS and Mangiapane has to bump Backlund up.  But, Mange is not scoring much right now.  He's getting chances, but there is little 2nd effort by anyone else or rebounds for him to jump on.  Perhaps Backlund's penchant for hitting the goalie's crest will generate more 2nd chances.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic-Monahan-Dube

Lewis-Richardson-Ritchie

Ruzicka-Pitlick

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Gudbranson

Stone

Honestly, this is about the best thy can manage with Ruzie on the sidelines.  It's a shame that the 4th line is all RHS and Mangiapane has to bump Backlund up.  But, Mange is not scoring much right now.  He's getting chances, but there is little 2nd effort by anyone else or rebounds for him to jump on.  Perhaps Backlund's penchant for hitting the goalie's crest will generate more 2nd chances.

i find most of the team do not shoot for 2nd chances. They go air a bit too much when they shoot. It’s either missing the net. Easy glove save or at the logo and no traffic. 

we need to shoot at the pads a bit more when we have guys going to the net. Mind you, how often do we have guys crashing the net for 2nd and 3rd chances. 

i wonder if there’s a stat for that? My bet is that when we do those kinds of shots we are about 75% at scoring on them. The problem is, we hardly ever shoot with that intent.

Sometimes a shot just to get a shot on is meaningless, but a shot with intent, can be more beneficial. 

The oilers sad that grant fuhr would coach them on where to shoot to guarantee rebounds. And it is a different era but I think there is still some legitimacy to this. How often are we one and done? I think we tend to try for too pretty or the perfect shot. Even at empty nets we try for either or.

38 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i wonder if there’s a stat for that? My bet is that when we do those kinds of shots we are about 75% at scoring on them. The problem is, we hardly ever shoot with that intent.

FFS, they track everything else.  I read a stat that suggested that dark red pads were easier for the shooter to score on.  We had Mike Smith, king of the red pads.  Or was that Elliott?

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic-Monahan-Dube

Lewis-Richardson-Ritchie

Ruzicka-Pitlick

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Gudbranson

Stone

My question is why is Backlund still on the 2nd line…IMO Monahan would be a much better option? Maybe with Manji he could get some Offence going?  Or better still…

gaudrau/Monahan 

Tachuck/Lindholm 

manji/Dube (till Ruzi is back)

Lucic/Backlund 

coleman slots in with either Gaudrau and Monahan or Tachuck and Lindholm…the other gets Dube once Ruzicka back…ti then probably stuck with Pitlick 

manji/Dube (Ruzicka when he’s back) gets Richardson 

Lucic/Backlund get Ritchie

i think if we were to pair up our strength at LW and our Ctrs (one of whom was great not but 2 seasons ago) then slot whatever fits best with those pairs would be more balanced overall…

Tachuck is a natural LW make sense to play him there especially with what seems to be good chemistry with Lindholm slot Coleman or Pitlick whoever played best with these two

Gaudreau/Monahan have always been very good together even while he was paying with a bum hip…try them together again…IMO you see that may come back as long as Monahan is truly fully recovered..Coleman or Pitlick who ever gels best with these two.

manji/Ruzicka would be ideal but Dube till he’s back, after that hopefully move Dube to RW to move Pitlick down to here…ideally id much rather Dube at LW as it’s his natural position, but failing that Ctr…or if we were to manage to get Coleman to gel with one of the two lines above, and bring in a RW say Toffoil, keep Dube on this line at RW as he could swap with Ruzicka as needed. But till Ruzicka is back, Dube at Ctr and Richardson at RW or Richardson at Ctr and just keep Dube on RW for consistency.

Lucic and Backlund seem

to be offensive kill joys for whoever they pay with but pair them together the could form a great shutdown pair.  Obviously Ritchie slots in here for now but maybe either Richardson or Pitlick could gel 

so really we could be looking at one simple

trade (if we can manage to slot

the salary in and could have a 1/2 way decent lineup:

Tachuck/Lindholm/Coleman or Toffoil 

Gaudreau/Monahan/Coleman or Toffoil 

manji/Ruzicka/Dube 

Lucic/Backlund/Pitlick or 

Richardson or

Ritchie

again not the best situation, but far better balance throughout the line up and only one trade needed…though if I’m being honest this team needs at least 2 legit RW’s 

I would like to see lines of

Lewis  Backlund  Coleman

Mangi  Monahan  Dube

I am really starting to like Lewis's game and have seen a chemistry with Coleman.

Monahan is starting to become more aggressive and creating a forecheck Could benefit Mangi and Dude

• 2 weeks later...

Today's lines.  Ritchie is killing it with zero points.  

#FlamesNHLTeam_2021_Flames.png at practice today:

Dube-Monahan-Ritchie

Lucic-Ruzicka-Lewis

Richardson-Froese

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Gudbranson

Mackey-Stone

Markstrom

Vladar

An interesting perspective on a player like Lundell:

Lundell has had success as a rookie bc the Panthers weren't afraid to put him into a situation where he could make mistakes. They had faith and trust in their quality of their vets. They felt it would be better than filling out the roster with borderline NHLers instead.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

An interesting perspective on a player like Lundell:

Lundell has had success as a rookie bc the Panthers weren't afraid to put him into a situation where he could make mistakes. They had faith and trust in their quality of their vets. They felt it would be better than filling out the roster with borderline NHLers instead.

i can see how this makes sense. I think when there is enough talent and enough motivation within a room to imitate from, then I’d be willing to play younger players. When you can’t support them with players that can play I would prefer to play them in the AHL.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I want to see more of Zadorov's big shot. 

Let's try,

Dube - Monahan - Zadorov and see what happens.

You know this will never happen.lol Wish we'd waive Ritchie though.

I think Pelletier should get a call up and a look with Baclund and either Coleman or Dube.

He's waiver ineligible so that's whatever.

People talk about hurting development, but I disagree. If he isn't ready to make the team a bit better, whatevs, he's got lots of time. We should do it ahead of TDL. Even if he doesn't see a game, see what that looks like in practices to get a different look at everything you have before spending.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You know this will never happen.lol Wish we'd waive Ritchie though.

I think Pelletier should get a call up and a look with Baclund and either Coleman or Dube.

He's waiver ineligible so that's whatever.

People talk about hurting development, but I disagree. If he isn't ready to make the team a bit better, whatevs, he's got lots of time. We should do it ahead of TDL. Even if he doesn't see a game, see what that looks like in practices to get a different look at everything you have before spending.

it might be good for some of the prospects to see NHL action before the playoffs. It’s getting to the point in the season where things tighten up, and to see what that’s like may help them if we get into injury problems in the playoffs.

Just now, robrob74 said:

it might be good for some of the prospects to see NHL action before the playoffs. It’s getting to the point in the season where things tighten up, and to see what that’s like may help them if we get into injury problems in the playoffs.

The problem with an experience-laden team is they all know the grind and want it. It's a good problem to have.

There isn't much space. Ruzicka got lucky that Richardson just wasn't there (but he can coach) and he only has to be better than Gawdin. Ritchie should be replaced. That's my roster change. He's on the 3rd line. Should be taxi squad at best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

To me no cause he did nothing at all he was out of position more times then not

Let's face it, Sutter played him for at least one reason.  What that is, I can't be sure.

But the fact he's out instead of the guy called up (Ruzie), shows that the 4th line was working.

I agree he should not be in the lineup.

So second unit PP, Toffoli adds a new weapon.  I also want to try Zadorov as screen man.

Toffoli - Zadorov - Mangiapane

Kylington - Backlund

I mean, of course get Backlund to take the faceoffs but right after we get possession, send Zadorov to the front of the net.  Backlund's got a bomb from the point (wins Flames hardest shot contest from time to time).

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I want to see more Ruzicka.  He's been sneaky good and should be rewarded.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Mangiapane - Ruzicka - Toffoli

Coleman - Backlund - Dube

Lucic - Monahan - Lewis

that is interesting. I liked his move on his goal tonight and we’ve seen that a bit. Will teams start to notice it and cut him off? Well, even though the goalie should have had that shot, he put himself in a position to score and he beat his pad from being on the ice.